Options

[NHL] Thread - NHL realigned with the winter solstice, pagans pleased

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I feel like they should just end it and give out penalties later, cause it's just gonna happen again when the puck drops.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    I don't think I'd agree that they played even 40 minutes of good hockey. They were offensively strong during the second period, but their defensive game and special teams play was not impressive.

Yeah, never really got to their game.

No grinding no down low cycling no sustained pressure.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I can't wait to play the Pens in the first round. I am going to at least one game a round. I want to get a huge cutout of Crosby crying with a pacifier.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I don't think I'd agree that they played even 40 minutes of good hockey. They were offensively strong during the second period, but their defensive game and special teams play was not impressive.

Yeah, never really got to their game.

No grinding no down low cycling no sustained pressure.

Their ability to nullify their own power plays by allowing Philly to put them in a position where they were forced to either take a penalty or give up a shorthanded scoring chance was also sort of game-breaking.

Actually, I guess that only describes the Sullivan penalty in the second period where Giroux drew a penalty on an odd man break after poor puck possession at the offensive blue line. Kunitz was more of an illegal offensive pick. In any case, the first penalty nixed out nearly an entire power play, and the other killed their second shift on the powerplay and eventually set up what would have been Simmond's game-winning PPG. Dumb special teams hockey.

SammyF on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular

Oilers, Eskimos to go head-to-head for Edmonton Cup
    Two-game, total-point series highlights battle for civic pro sporting supremacy

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=625277&navid=DL|EDM|home

Not a bad try for April 1st.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Wings actually win!! Not even April Fools!!

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    Watching that Pens game just reminds me why I hate crosby so much. What schenn did to him was a penalty, but honestly if you watch the video it wasn't anything more then a bump. I would guess hlaf the reason crosby fell was just the surprise of the hit more then the force (but still it was a crosscheck from behind technically) but then if you watch the video his first reaction is to turn and look at the ref. If you watch him play he constantly slashes players and gets away with it.

That's the reason i can't stand him. He has a lot of talent, but he is a cheap player who hides at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a big fan of malkin either because I think he is a dirty player that gets away with a lot of shit, but I think Malkin is the better hockey player.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Watching that Pens game just reminds me why I hate crosby so much. What schenn did to him was a penalty, but honestly if you watch the video it wasn't anything more then a bump. I would guess hlaf the reason crosby fell was just the surprise of the hit more then the force (but still it was a crosscheck from behind technically) but then if you watch the video his first reaction is to turn and look at the ref. If you watch him play he constantly slashes players and gets away with it.

That's the reason i can't stand him. He has a lot of talent, but he is a cheap player who hides at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a big fan of malkin either because I think he is a dirty player that gets away with a lot of shit, but I think Malkin is the better hockey player.
    http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/356126/sid_gif.gif

In all seriousness, I think that's a silly response. Sid didn't get mad, he didn't gesture at the ref, he was more trying to get the number of that truck that ran through him. And when the brawl broke out, I think only Sid and Timonen were the ones who were cool as cucumbers. That you can say Sid's a dirty player who gets away with shit, and not condemn Schenn in the same post, is ridiculous.

Crosby did get away with a slash on Giroux on that faceoff though. The same way Hartnell gets away with knocking the net loose after every god damn scrum in the crease.

• Options
    Witchdr wrote: »

I agree, Schenn is an idiot.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Schenn is also a rookie and expected to do dumb things on occasion. And as dumb things go it was pretty harmless. The reaction would have made you think he took a baseball swing with his stick to Crosby's head. There was pleny of dumb to go around, but Schenn's was the most excusable.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3914TpZblM

I fail to see any exaggeration on Crosby's part. He was just coasting and someone shoved him.

I don't care if Schenn's a rookie; that's a penalty in every league. Rookie mistakes are things like taking a hooking penalty because you didn't expect your man to be that fast, or trying a risky pass through traffic. That's a dick move from peewee on up; I don't think it's excusable just because he's a rookie.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    People are claiming Crosby dived on that?

Jesus.

• Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    Malkin gets away with tons of bullshit every time I see a Penguins game, which admittedly isn't much. I hate Malkin more as a result, because he's a dirty player who gets away with it a lot of the time, whereas Crosby isn't nearly as bad. They both love slashing people and running away though.

• Options
    Rei wrote: »
    Malkin gets away with tons of bullshit every time I see a Penguins game, which admittedly isn't much. I hate Malkin more as a result, because he's a dirty player who gets away with it a lot of the time, whereas Crosby isn't nearly as bad. They both Hockey players love slashing people and running away though.
    I can't post that haters gonna hate gif enough in this thread. :)

Laviolette broke a stick against the glass, Rinaldo goes apeshit after a beautiful/clean hit by Joe Vitale...and the Pens are the dirty whiners? Don't get me wrong, the Pens aren't saints and they definitely do their fair share of slashes, facewashes, and cross-checks.

But it's not like the Flyers turned the other cheek here.

• Options
    Notice how I didn't mention anything about the Flyers in this case. Malkin and Crosby love to slash and turn away and not answer for their actions. You can say 'but everyone else does it!' all you want, but last time I checked that's a weak defense. If my star players were using cheapshots on a regular basis it would make me dislike them, not defend them because they score a lot of goals but also swing elbows around like they're in a UFC fight.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I can't put my finger on what's more perplexing -- that friggin' Flyers Fans are complaining about players on other teams playing dirty, or that they're bitching about the officiating even when they won by two friggin' goals.

• Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Schenn is also a rookie and expected to do dumb things on occasion. And as dumb things go it was pretty harmless. The reaction would have made you think he took a baseball swing with his stick to Crosby's head. There was pleny of dumb to go around, but Schenn's was the most excusable.

I agree, all the flyers attacking Vitale for a beautiful clean hit was plenty of dumb.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Lol. Corey Schneider's girlfriend got into a mix up with Lucic's girlfriend. Apparently Ms. Schneider told off Ms. Lucic for wearing a Bruins hat to a Canucks game. Ms. Lucic took to twitter with ranting and raving.

For a little perspective, its worth noting Schneiders gal is from Boston and Lucic's is from Vancouver.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options

I agree, all the flyers attacking Vitale for a beautiful clean hit was plenty of dumb.

Don't feign ignorance, you're smarter than that. Byslma saw the Briere line come out and sent out the 4th line to send a message. Clean hit or not, there was going to be shenanigans. I think that's what bothers me most about the Penguins. Obviously I'm no fan of either PA team, but at least the Flyers own up to their reputation of physical, and sometimes dirty play. The Penguins fans and their organization tries to act as if they're above it, went they are right there on the same level. Lemieux certainly doesn't help matters either with his hypocritical letter.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I can't put my finger on what's more perplexing -- that friggin' Flyers Fans are complaining about players on other teams playing dirty, or that they're bitching about the officiating even when they won by two friggin' goals.

Everyone complains about other teams being dirty when their own team is plenty dirty. That is sports.

I don't know anything about bitching about officiating (at least in this game haha).

And it was a clean hit and Briere should've looked up. The whole "GET EM!" after big hits seems to happen way too often in today's NHL. That said, I am proud my team stood up for their rocked player. Plus, it is Pens/Flyers. Of course shit is gonna hit the fan.

edit: BTW, on a fantasy note, I am playing for my THIRD CONSECUTIVE championship this week. GO LEGION!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    I never said I thought crosby dove, what schenn did was a pentalty, i was trying to say that schenn was trying to vent his frustrations with that shove, not injure crosby. There are plenty of off play diry shots where you can see someone going for blood.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options

Don't feign ignorance, you're smarter than that. Byslma saw the Briere line come out and sent out the 4th line to send a message. Clean hit or not, there was going to be shenanigans. I think that's what bothers me most about the Penguins. Obviously I'm no fan of either PA team, but at least the Flyers own up to their reputation of physical, and sometimes dirty play. The Penguins fans and their organization tries to act as if they're above it, went they are right there on the same level. Lemieux certainly doesn't help matters either with his hypocritical letter.

Hey now.

I was very clear and vocal in my support of the Penguins being the most penalized team in the league whenever it was, last season or two ago.

• Options
    Am I the only one who gets annoyed when coaches are all 'hurp a durr how dare you send out a 4th line.'

Yeah, um, it's a 4 line game. Match ups are a part of it.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Malkin gets away with tons of bullshit every time I see a Penguins game, which admittedly isn't much. I hate Malkin more as a result, because he's a dirty player who gets away with it a lot of the time, whereas Crosby isn't nearly as bad. They both love slashing people and running away though.
    Malkin is the worse kind of dirty - Sneaky Dirty.

Also Flyers fans who make up reasons to hate Crosby are retarded. I'd respect you more if you came out and said you hated him because you were a biased sports fan.

Matrias on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Jesus.

NO, not claiming he dived or that looking for penalty was even in poor form. I am saying that to claim Schenn's crosscheck while stupid in anyway was intend to hurt Crosby in the way the hit on Brierre was is homerism at its finest. I will reiterate all of it was stupid, but I give Schenn more of a pass for being young and dumb and not trying to maim somebody over some of the crap that went on as a result.

• Options
    edited April 2012

First I did neither...but you immediately go there...second I never mentioned any officiating. I merely stated that in my opinion the reaction was a bit out of line for the innitial provocation. I also went on to clarify that nobody acted all that intelligently from that point.

Hawkstone on
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Jesus.

NO, not claiming he dived or that looking for penalty was even in poor form. I am saying that to claim Schenn's crosscheck while stupid in anyway was intend to hurt Crosby in the way the hit on Brierre was is homerism at its finest. I will reiterate all of it was stupid, but I give Schenn more of a pass for being young and dumb and not trying to maim somebody over some of the crap that went on as a result.

That's the same way i felt. Schenn was tired of his slashing that game and gave him an offplay crosscheck that wasn't really a hard hit but a penalty none the less.

• Options
    I am saying that to claim Schenn's crosscheck while stupid in anyway was intend to hurt Crosby in the way the hit on Brierre was is homerism at its finest.

Except only one of those things was against the rules.

I will reiterate all of it was stupid, but I give Schenn more of a pass for being young and dumb and not trying to maim somebody over some of the crap that went on as a result.

I mean, it was the Flyers who started the fight. If three people didn't bull rush Vitale for his amazing and perfectly within the rules hit, there wouldn't have been any stupid shit after the whistle. I disagree with ThePensBlog, the Schenn hit had nothing to do with anything. There would have been zero fights if Briere had his head up/people didn't try to start fights after good clean hits.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    The other thing I wonder about the Schenn crosscheck is if he knew that the puck went into the net and he would get away with the crosscheck.

My opinion on the line matchup is that it would be dumb for either coach to have put out star players in a 6-3 game with 1 minute left, especially in a game between opponents who are most likely going to meet in the 1st round of the playoffs. Pens aren't going to score 3 goals and the flyers don't benefit from getting another goal.

• Options
    Matrias wrote: »
    Am I the only one who gets annoyed when coaches are all 'hurp a durr how dare you send out a 4th line.'

Yeah, um, it's a 4 line game. Match ups are a part of it.

To be fair, I'd be pretty pissed if the Flyers put out Derian Hatcher, Jody Shelly, and Rinaldo at that point. Then again, Vitale/Adams/Asham is hardly that big of a statement.

@Witchdr, nobody's saying Schenn was trying to hurt Crosby. It was just a dick move, and blaming Crosby for being mad that he got suckered in the back is retarded. I'm posting because people are going out of their way to vilify Crosby for...getting knocked down? Basically your post was "the bitch can't even fall down right."

@Rei, I don't even know what you're talking about at this point. Briere skated across the ice in the neutral zone with his head down and got railed by Vitale, who's not exactly known as a thug. Then the Flyers went apeshit, including the god damned coach and Flyers fans still come in here talking like the Pens are a bunch of whiners.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Man Schenn was totally trying to hurt Crosby. That's why he cross checked him. Hockey players are fucking mean.

Matrias on
  • Options
    At this point I will exit this converstation because as usual its clear, no matter how diplomatic you try to be, its an all or nothing proposition with some people. Congrats your people never do anything wrong and ours are all scum.

• Options
    I don't even like the Penguins!

• Options
    @mr_mich, I don't know what's so hard to comprehend, Bylsma sent out harmless Joe Vitale, along with meathead Asham and Engelland (not as much meathead) to send a message to the Flyers. They responded to a big, clean hit to say we're not taking that shit either. I'm not outraged by what either team did, just sick of the Pens (or more their fans I suppose) acting as if they're choir boys in here. "All we did was deliver a big hit in a 6-3 game with a minute to go!" Don't be surprised when you get a response to said hit.

• Options
    @mr_mich, I don't know what's so hard to comprehend, Bylsma sent out harmless Joe Vitale, along with meathead Asham and Engelland (not as much meathead) to send a message to the Flyers. They responded to a big, clean hit to say we're not taking that shit either. I'm not outraged by what either team did, just sick of the Pens (or more their fans I suppose) acting as if they're choir boys in here. "All we did was deliver a big hit in a 6-3 game with a minute to go!" Don't be surprised when you get a response to said hit.
    It's hard to comprehend because I don't get the culture that a clean hit needs any kind of response except for...clean hitting. It doesn't matter if that hit is in minute 1 or minute 59, if your team starts a brawl after a clean big hit it just comes off as foolish.

You claim that we Pens fans are acting like our team is choir boys, but this whole thing started off with you saying that you hate how Malkin/Crosby are dirty slash-and-runners. It was just a little silly for you to make that post considering that the Flyers, and Laviolette, lost their shit after a 100% clean hit.

• Options
    If I may:

You are all hockey fans in the midst of a hockey rivalry and none of you has any perspective and are probably better off not even discussing it..

• Options
    I understand the rivalry pretty well, as I hate the Pens and Flyers just as much as they hate each other, as would most other Ranger fans I imagine. Hell, I think the Rangers and Flyers have a bigger rivalry then the Pens and Flyers due to their proximity and rivalries between other sports teams in the two cities (Giants/Eagles, Phillies/Mets or Yankees) but I wonder if that is the case in Flyer's fans' minds? Could just be my local bias at work.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    Looks like Briere is out for a week with a back contusion.

• Options
    Matrias wrote: »
    If I may:

You are all hockey fans in the midst of a hockey rivalry and none of you has any perspective and are probably better off not even discussing it..
    no u!

In other news, I'm wondering what the fuck happened to our defense. I know people like to poop on Martin, and Letang's been in and out, but the real story to me is Orpik. Suddenly he's not physical, he makes stupid decisions, and fumbles the puck a ton. I have to imagine that he's just saving himself for that special someone in the playoffs, but in the meantime our team looks atrocious behind the goal line.

This discussion has been closed.