Options

[NHL] Thread - NHL realigned with the winter solstice, pagans pleased

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    This is the second year running where the Northwest managed to produce only a single playoff team.

Well, technically the Avs aren't mathematically eliminated yet. Apparently the official numbers are a 4.1% chance at making it, and there's a list of ifs, ands or buts about a mile long, but they're still in the race. Still a long way from most predictions having them bottom feeding and handing the Capitals a lottery pick.

Sorry, man, I'll stop hammering the nails quite so loudly. :)

In all seriousness, though -- if Detroit hadn't been signalling for the past couple of weeks their intention to fold in the first round after four or five games, I would have been perfectly happy this year to scrub the traditional playoff format and just let the four teams which made it out of the Central Division play the four teams which made it out of the Atlantic Division. The other divisions are mostly sending teams to the playoffs this year because they have to, not because they deserve to.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    So, I'm probably going to make a playoffs thread next week or so, unless someone else wants it.

I'm kinda tired of this thread title referring to the winter solstice and a realignment that didn't actually happen.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'm glad the Pens won, but I feel like both of those calls that bought us the 5-on-3 were pretty iffy. I'd be mad if I were a Boston fan.

On the other hand...fuck Boston.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Big Lou is getting started on his choking already it would appear, 4 goals on 15 shots before getting pulled against the Ducks.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Trollface wins it in the shootout. Also, how Gragani even made the NHL is beyond me.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    So.

Anyone want to do a PA playoff fantasy something?

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Big Lou is getting started on his choking already it would appear, 4 goals on 15 shots before getting pulled against the Ducks.

'Luongo Playoff Choking' is such a bullshit myth and the worst part is its propagated by Canucks fans. If you actually watched the broadcast, Vancouver played terrible in their own end. Gragani in particular.

(and I say that hoping Lu is traded in favour of Schneider)

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    also I hate the ducks - for a basement team they always light us up with remarkable ease. our record against them is shameful.

its like how Carolina always has Boston's number.

Matrias on
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Also, how Gragani even made the NHL is beyond me.

Every so often I see a player who makes me wonder -- is it actually a lot easier than I thought? Like, by virtue of the fact that there isn't a hockey team at every high school and university in North America, do we not always produce enough players with the requisite talent to fill out the league? Do we always have one or two extra rosters spots that will go to any asshole who can demonstrate that he knows how to skate backwards?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I dread them, because Nashville is going to destroy the Wings. :(

Have you picked a band wagon to jump on yet for the subsequent rounds? I've been trying to grow comfortable with the idea of rooting for Pittsburgh this year.

Hahahah, no. It will probably be the Kings, even though my friend no longer works for them. Also the Rangers, because Carl Hagelin is my favorite Michigan athlete ever. BORK BORK BORK

Eh? You have a friend who used to work for the Kings and is from Michigan?
    Does he now go to Syracuse law, by any chance? 'Cause if so, it is a mighty small world!

He does in fact. He and I grew up within a couple hundred yards of each other.

As I say, mighty small world! I played goal behind Jeff and some Kings employees for a season or two

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I'm going to PAX in Boston this weekend. This morning I thought it would be pretty awesome to bring one of my Leafs jerseys and wear it around Saturday... but then I wondered if by doing so I would be risking life and limb.

I might just do it anyway :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Given that we blew another game we should have won last night, you might just be risking laughter and pity.

Dammit, we can't even play spoiler correctly.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Well playoffs, losers, spoilers or not, Saturday is the last day of the regular season. Gotta show my support and wear my colours :P

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is the second year running where the Northwest managed to produce only a single playoff team.

Well, technically the Avs aren't mathematically eliminated yet. Apparently the official numbers are a 4.1% chance at making it, and there's a list of ifs, ands or buts about a mile long, but they're still in the race. Still a long way from most predictions having them bottom feeding and handing the Capitals a lottery pick.

In all seriousness, though -- if Detroit hadn't been signalling for the past couple of weeks their intention to fold in the first round after four or five games, I would have been perfectly happy this year to scrub the traditional playoff format and just let the four teams which made it out of the Central Division play the four teams which made it out of the Atlantic Division. The other divisions are mostly sending teams to the playoffs this year because they have to, not because they deserve to.

When the Avs inevitably don't show up against Columbus I'll hand you the hammer myself.

Seriously, what they need is ridiculous though. The Avs need to win both remaining games (Columbus and Nashville) in overtime at the latest to put them at 92 points. San Jose needs to lose both remaining games in regulation, and sits at 92 points with 33 ROW. The Avs would have 34 should they win both games before the shootout. Dallas sits at 89 points with 2 games remaining. Dallas can only reach 91 points for the Avs to pass them. If they reach 92 they'll have the ROW tiebreaker over the Avs.

My head hurts.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Wings get a 5 minute powerplay against the Blues and then proceed to shit the bed. Looking like a deep run in the playoffs!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, moving it to Preds in six.

(Assuming they hold onto the four or five)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Apparently Franzen can only play hockey after I turn off games in disgust. He has 28 goals this year, I've seen like three of them.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Yeah! Reverse Jinx!! Totally part of my plan!

• Options
    And there's a largely undeserved two points.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular

When the Avs inevitably don't show up against Columbus I'll hand you the hammer myself.

Seriously, what they need is ridiculous though. The Avs need to win both remaining games (Columbus and Nashville) in overtime at the latest to put them at 92 points. San Jose needs to lose both remaining games in regulation, and sits at 92 points with 33 ROW. The Avs would have 34 should they win both games before the shootout. Dallas sits at 89 points with 2 games remaining. Dallas can only reach 91 points for the Avs to pass them. If they reach 92 they'll have the ROW tiebreaker over the Avs.

My head hurts.

So... you're saying there's a chance.

Anyway, Go Avs!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, I'm pretty convinced I have no chance of beating Pufnstuf, so my Tire Irons will finish second for the second season in a row.

Which is pretty good, really, but dammit, so close. :P

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »

My head hurts.

So... you're saying there's a chance.

Anyway, Go Avs!

Not according to NHL.com. They've got a poll right now asking who's going to be the 8th seed....Dallas, Phoenix or San Jose. :?

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Oh those bastards.

• Options
    ShockwaveShockwave Back In Black Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Long time no see and almost playoff time again...Yikes!

shockwavesig.jpg
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, I'm pretty convinced I have no chance of beating Pufnstuf, so my Tire Irons will finish second for the second season in a row.

I dunno, we're only ten points apart with two days of full rosters left. There could be a lot of swing. I had to do a lot of player juggling to win the first two rounds.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    I was thinking... contending teams that have Kryptonite amongst the bottom feeders.

Penguins: Islanders
    Canucks: Ducks
    Bruins: Hurricanes

any others?

• Options
    Pens won four out of six against the islanders

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

I dunno, we're only ten points apart with two days of full rosters left. There could be a lot of swing. I had to do a lot of player juggling to win the first two rounds.

I've been keeping an eye on your team, though, since you have the most points overall and you consistently finish almost every week with a higher score. If I win here then you are getting so totally robbed. :P

• Options
    AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    I'm glad the Pens won, but I feel like both of those calls that bought us the 5-on-3 were pretty iffy. I'd be mad if I were a Boston fan.

Damn right I was. But Boston is locked tightly into second place, so it really didn't matter what the outcome was. Was just very disappointing for them to have fought back, then lost it all to a 5 on 3.

• Options

Damn right I was. But Boston is locked tightly into second place, so it really didn't matter what the outcome was. Was just very disappointing for them to have fought back, then lost it all to a 5 on 3.
    Now Niskanen's hurt apparently. May just be them being cautious since the games don't matter until next week. What ended up happening with Boychuk?

• Options
    edited April 2012

Now Niskanen's hurt apparently. May just be them being cautious since the games don't matter until next week. What ended up happening with Boychuk?

Niskanen actually left during that game, iirc.

Edit: Woo. Dupuis points again.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    come on Pittsburgh, don't mess this evening up.

You too, Vancouver.

Matrias on
  • Options
    And Nashville....

And Los Angeles....

And Colorado....

....this is going to be bad.

• Options
    Do all three of those things have to happen in stay alive?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Nevermind, that's not true, I can't do math.

edit -- oh wait, yeah it is, now I remember why I thought that. Colorado can't afford to win either of its games in a shootout because even if they win one game in a shootout, their ROW will equal San Jose's, at which point San Jose wins the next level of the tie break.

SammyF on
  • Options
    For the Avs to make it they need...

1 - To win both remaining games (Columbus tonight and Nashville on Saturday) before a shootout

2 - For San Jose to lose both remaining games in regulation

3 - For Dallas to only get 2 out of 4 possible remaining points

......it really doesn't look good.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Looks like Michael Neuvirth might have blown out his knee when Marco Sturm landed on it. Squeaking into the playoffs with your third string goal tender might actually be worse than not making it at all.

Edit -- but that might presuppose that Braden Holtby isn't about to blow a three goal lead on us. He's 2/3rds of the way there already.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Orpik was a dirty fuck and Stepan was a fucking salesman.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Damnit Orpik, that was stupid and unnecessary.

• Options
    Do not adjust your monitors: Alexander Semin just clinched a playoff berth for the Caps.

ALEXANDER SEMIN?!?!?!

This discussion has been closed.