Options

[NHL] Thread - NHL realigned with the winter solstice, pagans pleased

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    All I'm going to say about anything having to do with this is that Mike Milbury is a terrible human being in every respect and should be fired.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Something we can all agree on.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I especially loved him talking about how coaches should be allowed to get mad or whatever. I mean, it's just too close to "coaches should be allowed to go out there and strangle young players."

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I prefer Pierre Maguire and Mike Milbury be made to fight to the death for our amusement.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    I prefer Pierre Maguire and Mike Milbury be made to fight to the death for our amusement.

Is Pierre allowed to use his giant headset as a weapon?

• Options
    TheSmacker wrote: »

I'll allow it, but in exchange we'll allow Milbury to borrow a jacket from Don Cherry.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    TheSmacker wrote: »

I'll allow it, but in exchange we'll allow Milbury to borrow a jacket from Don Cherry.

That's a little bit cruel, isn't it? Couldn't we just let him rub sand in Maguire's eyes?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So, apparently Ottawa made the playoffs over the weekend. I'm glad to see that at least one Canadian team will be in contention for the Stanley Cup.

• Options
    Does Vancouver not count?

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    Does Vancouver not count?

They're not "in contention" per se because Luongo's such a choke artist.
    <3

• Options
    Ah. I was just wondering if it was because the Canucks aren't a real team, or Vancouver B.C. isn't "real" Canada the same way Vermont isn't "real" America.

You fucking know what you did, Vermont.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    All I'm saying, is that I watch Hockey Night in Canada and read the NHL hockey section of the CBC website. Based on these sources of information, I've come to the conclusion listed above.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mr_mich wrote: »
    In other news, I'm wondering what the fuck happened to our defense. I know people like to poop on Martin, and Letang's been in and out, but the real story to me is Orpik. Suddenly he's not physical, he makes stupid decisions, and fumbles the puck a ton. I have to imagine that he's just saving himself for that special someone in the playoffs, but in the meantime our team looks atrocious behind the goal line.

I'm noticing our defense isn't actually playing defense half the time anymore. They're getting in deep offensively, which is neat, more scoring chances, except they seem unable to get back in time to prevent scoring chances. So many of the goals scored against us were breakaways or we only had 1 man back, and sometimes it's a forward for some odd reason.

Laviolette fined $10k for his actions, Granato $2.5k.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote: »
    In other news, I'm wondering what the fuck happened to our defense. I know people like to poop on Martin, and Letang's been in and out, but the real story to me is Orpik. Suddenly he's not physical, he makes stupid decisions, and fumbles the puck a ton. I have to imagine that he's just saving himself for that special someone in the playoffs, but in the meantime our team looks atrocious behind the goal line.

I'm noticing our defense isn't actually playing defense half the time anymore. They're getting in deep offensively, which is neat, more scoring chances, except they seem unable to get back in time to prevent scoring chances. So many of the goals scored against us were breakaways or we only had 1 man back, and sometimes it's a forward for some odd reason.

Laviolette fined $10k for his actions, Granato $2.5k.

Yeah that first power play in the second really defined the game in my eyes. The Pens get a man advantage in a game which up to that point had hardly any penalties called. They put out five forwards, win the face-off, immediately cough up the puck to Claude Giroux at the blue line because of poor puck protection, and Sullivan's forced to take a penalty of his own to prevent a likely 2-on-0 break. They were so focused on generating offense that they forgot they also had to play defense, and their man advantage evaporated after only ten seconds.

I love watching a team with great offense, and I really dig that the Pens want to score a big goal on practically every shift. They sometimes overcommit to the offense or take dumb chances, though. They play a high risk, high reward game, and that's exciting as hell to watch, but there's always the chance that they're going to get burned on a questionable outlet pass.

EDIT: Alexander Semin scored a goal just now. I've forgotten how to scream Alexander Semin's name without following it up with the words "you're fucking terrible."

SammyF on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    All I'm saying, is that I watch Hockey Night in Canada and read the NHL hockey section of the CBC website. Based on these sources of information, I've come to the conclusion listed above.
    Vancouver was all fine and beloved when the Olympics were on.

The real deal is the country is a mess of rivalries. No one fanbase likes any of the others. CBC is especially Toronto-centric.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    We are about a week and a half away from the greatest time of the year, the first round of the NHL playoffs!! 6 hours of awesome hockey every night, staying up late to watch the west coast games and doing it all again the next day!! PLAYOFFS WOOOOO

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    First round of the playoffs is the best thing.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    I dread them, because Nashville is going to destroy the Wings. :(

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    And Quincey's elbow to the head: 1 game ban. Honestly. 3 games, 5 games, 1 game. It's really hard to accept any suspension as appropriate, when the idiot can't even stick to a precedent week to week.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Slightly different in that the puck was closer, Kopecky doesn't seem to be injured, and Kopecky is not Sedin (and they do factor that regardless of what they say). Not that I agree with the punishment (should have been at least the rest of the regular season). And of course, Quincey has been pretty awful. I kind of would prefer Brendan Smith to play.

• Options

Have you picked a band wagon to jump on yet for the subsequent rounds? I've been trying to grow comfortable with the idea of rooting for Pittsburgh this year.

• Options

Have you picked a band wagon to jump on yet for the subsequent rounds? I've been trying to grow comfortable with the idea of rooting for Pittsburgh this year.

Hahahah, no. It will probably be the Kings, even though my friend no longer works for them. Also the Rangers, because Carl Hagelin is my favorite Michigan athlete ever. BORK BORK BORK

• Options
    edited April 2012
    So strange.

Sitting in a buffalo wild wings in lawrence kansas cause the game was on nbc today (although i just learned they have the root sports feed too so i might be spending a shit ton of money here next season. anyways....)

I walk in as the guy is switching the tv and he puts on hocky, so i dont even ask him. Then i notice he just turned on the MSG feed showing the rags vs flyers.

So now im sitting at the bar in kansas next to a guy with a flyers jersey on. he is watching the left big screen showing the rags flyers and im watching tje right big screen showing the bruins pens game (but not wearing myjersey)

hockey on both big screens was strange enough, let alone the flyers fan being next to me

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    455 dollar goal! #PaulMartinPowerball

• Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    Paul Martin goal. This is not a typo

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    455 dollar goal! #PaulMartinPowerball

Of course I forget to play today.

Doubt I would have picked that time anyway, but you never know!

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Dupuis' point streak is still alive, right?

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    yessir

• Options
    Somehow, despite that two weeks of playing like they didn't give a shit, the Canucks may still win the President's trophy this year.

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Somehow, despite that two weeks of playing like they didn't give a shit, the Canucks may still win the President's trophy this year.

The Canucks benefit from the fact that several of their division opponents have been playing like the don't give a shit for two or three years.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Hahahah, no. It will probably be the Kings, even though my friend no longer works for them. Also the Rangers, because Carl Hagelin is my favorite Michigan athlete ever. BORK BORK BORK

Eh? You have a friend who used to work for the Kings and is from Michigan?
    Does he now go to Syracuse law, by any chance? 'Cause if so, it is a mighty small world!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    chromdom wrote: »

Eh? You have a friend who used to work for the Kings and is from Michigan?
    Does he now go to Syracuse law, by any chance? 'Cause if so, it is a mighty small world!

He does in fact. He and I grew up within a couple hundred yards of each other.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    and then a buffalo fan came in to the bar and now im watching three hockey games and talking some serious hockey with some people that know whats going on

• Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    When the Wings crash out, it'll be original-6 rooting time. So probably the Rangers.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The Canucks benefit from the fact that several of their division opponents have been playing like the don't give a shit for two or three years.
    They've been guaranteed second seed no matter what.

I'm still not sure how that happened. Third, sure.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Matrias wrote: »

The Northwest and Pacific suck. There you go.

• Options

The Pacific Division is atrocious this year is how. Sharks go from conference final to battling for a playoff spot, Ducks waste perhaps Teemu's last year, LA can't score, Dallas is generally mediocre, and Phoenix is wondering where they might move next year.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh you wacky Leafs....

• Options
    edited April 2012

The Northwest and Pacific suck. There you go.

The Pacific has had a surprisingly shitty year. This is the second year running where the Northwest managed to produce only a single playoff team.

But it all eclipses against the humiliation that the Atlantic has put the rest of the Eastern Conference through.

SammyF on
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This is the second year running where the Northwest managed to produce only a single playoff team.

Well, technically the Avs aren't mathematically eliminated yet. Apparently the official numbers are a 4.1% chance at making it, and there's a list of ifs, ands or buts about a mile long, but they're still in the race. Still a long way from most predictions having them bottom feeding and handing the Capitals a lottery pick.

This discussion has been closed.