As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeland[sho] - She's not crazy, simply in love!

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Wow, fished in. Didn't expect that one. Well, except that
    Brody's story pretty much checks out

There's gotta be more to it, though because
    someone DID slip the AQ guard a razor, AND someone warned the sleepers at the house. Homeless Dead Sniper Guy could not have easily done those things.

Well
    They mentioned the AQ guy could have had the razor in the sole of his shoe so that's possible that no one slipped him a razor. As for informing the couple, the homeless dead sniper guy could have done it.

I'm interested to see his motivation for turning. I'm sure the terrorists will be like "Look how easily your friend turned on you to kill you" so that will be Dead Sniper's motivation for turning. Then Brody will feel even more guilty.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    This show had so much promise.
    Fuck, they could have revealed that Brody is the actual bad guy in episode two and it would have still kept us on edge.
    Instead it's fastly becoming a clusterfuck of whatever next.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    zeeny wrote:
    Fuck, they could have revealed that Brody is the actual bad guy in episode two and it would have still kept us on edge.

Why do you say that? I admit that it was a bit of an unfair twist, but it's far from a show-endangering clusterfuck.

• Options
    zeeny wrote:

Why do you say that? I admit that it was a bit of an unfair twist, but it's far from a show-endangering clusterfuck.

...I'm overstating because I'm bitter. The show is not what I expected. I thought we'd get a fast confirmation on Brody being the bad guy and tension building because of the character interactions, with possible flashbacks that would clear up the motives. The show decided to go in another direction.
    I can see how some could appreciate the conspiracy angle, the constant new faces etc, but my hopes were for a well presented antihero and more focus on routine situations, rather than unlikely ones.

• Options
    zeeny wrote:
    zeeny wrote:

...I'm overstating because I'm bitter. The show is not what I expected. I thought we'd get a fast confirmation on Brody being the bad guy and tension building because of the character interactions, with possible flashbacks that would clear up the motives. The show decided to go in another direction.
    I can see how some could appreciate the conspiracy angle, the constant new faces etc, but my hopes were for a well presented antihero and more focus on routine situations, rather than unlikely ones.

Fair enough. I'm enjoying watching Claire Danes play Carrie as she self-destructs. Also occasionally seeing Morena Baccarin naked.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i dunno i'm enjoying it

mandy patinkin is good

there's very little action and a lot of character work

i can dig that

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I still think Brody's the terrorist. Just because the lady-terrorist has turned herself in doesn't mean she's telling the truth as to who is the genuine terrorist.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Daxon wrote:
    I still think Brody's the terrorist. Just because the lady-terrorist has turned herself in doesn't mean she's telling the truth as to who is the genuine terrorist.
    Even if he is a terrorist, he's not the terrorist, as in the immediate bad guy. Abu Nazir plays the long game; all this is window dressing and prep work for whatever real scheme he has going. That may include Brody, but only after he's vice president.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That may include Brody, but only after he's vice president.
    He's a secret muslim!

sig.gif
  • Options
    He came out, man. He came out!

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    There's definitely someone within the Vice President's office who is a mole. They're pulling the strings to get Brody in a position of power, once Walker assassinates the President, the VP/new Pres pulls Brody over and he becomes the new VP. Bam secret muslim in the White House. Que shifty eyes because Brody really is the terrorist, Carrie realizes she's right but she's also crazy so no one believes her "To Be Continued... in season 2."

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Whoops, thought I had posted this like 2 weeks ago...
    Hacksaw wrote:
    I liked Rubicon, but it suffered a bit for the fact that the original showrunner who made the pilot (and wanted it to be more in the style of a slow burning 70's conspiracy thriller) was replaced with Henry Bromell, who was more interested in the day to day running of API and the people working there. That new focus wasn't a bad thing (actually I quite liked it), but he still had to service the original conspiracy plot set in place at the beginning, and those two ideas kinda bumped heads in awkward ways at times.

I feel like if the show had a 2nd season entirely under Bromell, it could have been really great, but...oh well.

I blame AMC for that. Firing the show's creator was a mistake. You don't ditch good show runners and expect your series to do well.

Rubicon definitely had some good ideas. I loved how the conspirators actually had normal, day to day lives. I loved the gay boss, and how he wasn't so much in the closet as just so habitually secretive he wouldn't have told you who's in the world series. In fact most of the side characters were great. Some of the suspense sequences were very well done.

Things I hated:
    Possibly the most boring, bland, cardboardy main character I've ever seen. He's not so much a personality as just a series of actions. Seriously, Law & Order characters are more fleshed out. The widow was the same way - we never really had any sense of her emotional connection to her husband, it's just now he's dead so she spends half the season wandering around deserted buildings looking pensive. A lot of the puzzles weren't very well presented - instead of figuring things out along with, or one step behind our hero, we're pretty much just shown something that looks ordinary, and then 10 minutes later he goes "ah hah I have figured out the mystery code this pleases me. Beep." You don't even get to say 'ooh, that's clever.' It's just, uh, okay? Whatever you say CompuProtagonist 500. The retired former analyst just sort of disappears from the story for no reason. None of the other analysts seem to have any idea how to actually do their job, and instead spend their time standing around arguing about if it's right for them to do so. You'd think they'd have already discussed these moral qualms before sending in the resumes. Most of the plot progression depends on Hardy Boys style "Gosh, I've come to a blank wall in my investigations. Nothing I can do now, unless the villains send a hitman after me to give me another clue..." If the conspiracy had just ignored the protagonist he never would've even kept investigating, but instead they keep doing just enough to keep him going. And then we've got his neighbor who we see, alone, going 'oh god a gun' when it drops out of his bag, and yet turns out to be an undercover spy / assassin lady in the final episode, which just makes no sense.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Kana wrote:

You did. It's on page 2. I thought for a second there was some weird forum issue, or I had gained the supernatural ability to predict future Rubicon criticisms.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Do you know what's really been bugging me about this show in the last couple of episodes?

The way the main characters drive to a bar, get drunk, and the don't think twice about getting into their car, now turned murder machine, and driving home/wherever.

Seriously, wtf?!

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Do you know what's really been bugging me about this show in the last couple of episodes?

The way the main characters drive to a bar, get drunk, and the don't think twice about getting into their car, now turned murder machine, and driving home/wherever.

Seriously, wtf?!

This has bugged me a lot, too. I chalk it up to both the main characters being mentally unbalanced at best.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:

You did. It's on page 2. I thought for a second there was some weird forum issue, or I had gained the supernatural ability to predict future Rubicon criticisms.

oh ok, the draft-saving thing just hates me instead.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

Seriously, wtf?!

This has bugged me a lot, too. I chalk it up to both the main characters being mentally unbalanced at best.
    God, so much this.

Then again, I guess it's TV, where that kind of thing only matters if it affects the plot. Like having lots of unprotected sex.

...which they also did. Damnit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Why are you expecting these two people to make sane, non-fucked up choices at this particular point? I mean, I suppose they could have called a cab while they were running from the white supremacists they just fucked with...

• Options
    Well before they slept with each other for the first time in the car they still seemed intent on driving home.

There is nothing good about that.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    So... the (literally) psychotic CIA analyst who constantly lives on the edge of ruin and the guy who spent 8 years in an Iraqi hellhole should be acting responsibly? Sure, but isn't it believable that they don't? Hell, it would surprise me if these people even considered themselves to be bound by civilian rules.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Holy fuck.

That is all I have to say about this episode.

• Options
    Nobody's dick is that long, not even Long Dick Johnson, and he had a fucking long dick.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Well what the fuck? I'm all for fakeouts but. . .what the fuck? It's sad how much better this show is than the one that it comes after.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote:
    Well what the fuck? I'm all for fakeouts but. . .what the fuck? It's sad how much better this show is than the one that it comes after.

I can't really tell, are you suggesting that Homeland is better than Dexter? Because they're exceedingly different kinds of shows, and it's hard to compare them, really. Also Dexter is super great even in its sixth season, and Homeland is just in its first.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i don't even care about the conspiracy

i just had to fight manly tears at saul's wife leaving :(

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Homeland, for my personal tastes, is a much tighter show than Dexter has become, despite the fact that both are (tonally) worlds apart. It's just a better made show. While Dexter is still "fun", the character arcs are seeming pretty lazy.

• Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    Dexter is just worn out. Homeland wishes it could look so good in its sixth season.

• Options
    Gosprey wrote:
    Dexter is just worn out. Homeland wishes it could look so good in its sixth season.

There's no way this show could sustain credibility for that long. Dexter, unfortunately (except for Season 2) has to deal with the idea of introducing a Big Bad in each season which stretches the imagination. I mean 6 serial killers (5 excluding the "hunt" for Dexter) in what span of time? That's why I thought Season 2 was great (and they probably should have held off on it somehow) - it gave us a different kind of Big Bad. If I were living in Dexter's Miami, Id've left years/months ago.

Homeland though, I struggle to think how they can keep this going beyond Season 2. I mean Season 2 will most likely explore Brodie's connection to You-Know-Who, especially considering the political implications of his character arc. So perhaps a Season 3 with
    Brodie in public office.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    It's a Special Election being held after the show's take on Weiner-gate, so Brody is going to be in a political office sooner rather than later me thinks.

Also, for those of you appalled at the drunk-driving, have you ever even been to ANY bar at closing time and seen some people stumbling to their cars to drive home? Remember we've only had drunk-driving laws in this country for about 30 years now. Things don't really change just because there's a fine and jail time involved, which is sort of terrifying to think about every time you're out on the road and pass by a BW3s....

Also this show is great and I love it.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    poor brody, i have a feeling he's gonna end up
    being forced to kill his buddy again for real this time and level up his heroism
    abu nazir is a damn genius

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    poor brody, i have a feeling he's gonna end up
    being forced to kill his buddy again for real this time and level up his heroism
    abu nazir is a damn genius

I can't shake the feeling that
    the school bombing was set up by Nazir. Perhaps he considered losing his son an acceptable cost. If it even was his son- whose word do we take on that? Depending on what level of intrigue they're going for, what if the kid were just drugged so his heart rate was imperceptable, and Brody finds out later? They've pretty much said flat out that Nazir is the master of the Xanatos Gambit, so we can't trust any information based on what he or his minions have said.

There are a lot of ways they could go that keep Brody in the main cast.

• Options
    The bombing/missile strike was confirmed by the VP in an address to the nation, it was the US. What was in question was the Al Qaeda claims that children were killed, which the US denied.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Speculation:
    They've already set a precedent in the show for this terrorist network feeding selective information to the US to advance their plans, with the raid that "released" Brody. So it seems like it's very plausible for Nazir to have wanted the strike to happen.

Hoz on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    This episode made me suspect the black CIA dude even more

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    @emp123
    Racist.
    Speculation re: this episode:
    I like the hypothesis that the mole is actually a red herring, it's just that there are to be multiple people giving Walker the sign to meet with the diplomat. Since he only received a sign from the diplomat, it meant that he was trying to set up a fake meeting.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    sad saul

sooo sadddd

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I SUCK COCK, AND I LOVE IT. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.

Solid stuff.

• Options
    Sigh.
    I will miss thee, proud gay Saudi diplomat. Your diplomatic immunity did not extend to sachel charges. At least you can say that you died while being blown (up).

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    The bombing/missile strike was confirmed by the VP in an address to the nation, it was the US. What was in question was the Al Qaeda claims that children were killed, which the US denied.
    I just assume the kid wasn't really his son, he had knowledge of the missile strike and setup a bomb to go off in his compound at the time to kill the kid. All to turn Brody.

• Options
    I'm really impressed by how much HAPPENS on this show week to week. It really could be the sort of story that turns into a plodding slow burn over 3-4 seasons but so far every episode has had a major advancement in the plot which keeps it interesting.