As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Forum badges

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Propriety wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    1) Participate in this thread
    2) Take part in a Pre-PAX East unofficial social event
    3) Be a forum admin
    4) Be Robert Khoo
    5) Make the badge in the first place
    I'm assuming this is a list of "OR"s, because I'm not certain I can complete all of those tasks.

Steps to becoming Khoo:
    1. Try harder
    2. Become Khoo
    3. If you are not yet Robert Khoo, you are not trying hard enough! Repeat step 1!
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT!

I finished off that list for you. Step four can only be read and understood by Robert Khoo.

They say that only Khoo can understand the true heart of "The Khoo". It's a very deep, Zen, thing. Also, it requires you to sacrifice your soul upon an altar to Penny Arcade, and undergo radical bionic reconstruction on your legs to allow you to move impossibly fast at PAX via nuclear-powered gyro-stabilized mega-thrusters. This isn't in step 4 though, this is just to be generally understood. Also BAM, participated.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • ChimneyImpChimneyImp Shifty Eyes BostonRegistered User regular
    I've heard that Khoo is part human, part shark, and part the bus from Speed . If he slows down during con season, he can't breathe. Or maybe he explodes.

Z04due2.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    With all the Khoo mystique being thrown around, it seems we know more about The Stig than him....yknow, just sayin.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    I've had a thought! Rather than having people ask a question to get a badge from the BYOC desk, how about you simply have to respond to the code? i.e. The enforcer handing out the badge says 'D' and the attendee asking for the badge says 'Twenty'. What do you think?
    approve

I also approve of this challenge-response protocol, but it needs to be something more than "D?". I will inevitably say "D? DEEEZ NUTS" at some point, which will be bad for all involved (especially sleep-deprived me). It should be the type of absurd phrase that you would expect to find in the script of Doctor Strangelove.

"How is the weather in Buffalo?" or something oddball, with a completely irrelevant response.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    a little late but I really want to take part in this, this year... I was a late arival for last year and wasn't able to get a badge, this year I have no excuse!!!!

as far as the question, I like the idea of the oddball one the most, maybe even incorporate something to do with gaming into it? like how many coins are in your pocket, or what can I buy for 10 rupees.... even flip flopping them so the questions are 57 answer how many coins are in my pocket, or question health potion, and the answer is what I can buy for 10 rupees... ?

Korvas on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    flatline wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    I've had a thought! Rather than having people ask a question to get a badge from the BYOC desk, how about you simply have to respond to the code? i.e. The enforcer handing out the badge says 'D' and the attendee asking for the badge says 'Twenty'. What do you think?
    approve

I also approve of this challenge-response protocol, but it needs to be something more than "D?". I will inevitably say "D? DEEEZ NUTS" at some point, which will be bad for all involved (especially sleep-deprived me). It should be the type of absurd phrase that you would expect to find in the script of Doctor Strangelove.

"How is the weather in Buffalo?" or something oddball, with a completely irrelevant response.

i like the idea of this, or sticking with the original questions, only because the connection between "D" and "20" is far too easy for any pax-goer to make, and is not so much a secret you have to be in on.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    flatline wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    approve

i like the idea of this, or sticking with the original questions, only because the connection between "D" and "20" is far too easy for any pax-goer to make, and is not so much a secret you have to be in on.

I think Korvas is over thinking things and flatline hasn't understood the code reference. The D Twenty code is in reference to the 'Flash-Thunder' code used by soldiers during the D-Day landings. With the back of the card being WWII inspired, we should stick with that motif. As for the questions, I agree with tvethiopia, in that we combine the code greeting with the right to get to answer a question correctly before they are given a badge. The only modification to being that if they fail to respond to the code, they have to answer 2 questions, instead of one. So we'll go with that.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Sounds very fun. And it sounds entertaining for those observing who aren't in the know (aka not on the forums) which is always a plus. (Everybody wins \o/)

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:
    flatline wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    approve

I think Korvas is over thinking things and flatline hasn't understood the code reference. The D Twenty code is in reference to the 'Flash-Thunder' code used by soldiers during the D-Day landings. With the back of the card being WWII inspired, we should stick with that motif. As for the questions, I agree with tvethiopia, in that we combine the code greeting with the right to get to answer a question correctly before they are given a badge. The only modification to being that if they fail to respond to the code, they have to answer 2 questions, instead of one. So we'll go with that.

Extra awesome points if said person brings one of those clickers they used too?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    How early would one need to arrive to participate in "pre-pax" activities.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    How early would one need to arrive to participate in "pre-pax" activities.

Depends on the activity. Stay tuned to the forums as we get closer to PAX to find out.

MMT (magical mystery tour) is usually wednesday and thursday
    Pre PAX Dinner is thursday evening after the MMT
    Pokecrawl is thursday night after the dinner
    there are some boardgaming nights usually wednesday and thursday
    the trains may or may not constitute a pre-pax activity depending on how many sign up for each train

• megaciamegacia Registered User regular
    Another great design! Very nice look sticking with the crest.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Consider this participation. :) I don't post a lot, but am a cumpolsive reader.
    This will be my second PAX and my goal is to meet new people this time. We will also be getting there early this year, so bring on the Pre-Pax events!

mayapple on
    e6txb8m8cavf.png

megacia wrote:

The crest on the front will never go away. It's only the back that is unique every PAX. I already have an idea for Prime 2012, but it will wait.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    The only reason that the Trains may not count, as far as I see it, is because you would need to send a bunch of them to people on the three main lines that run into Boston (Sonic, Portal, and Metal Gear), which can be a hassle. Otherwise, I know from last year that we had PLENTY of people on the ETA, enough to at least fill one whole car.

kropotkin wrote:
    megacia wrote:

The crest on the front will never go away. It's only the back that is unique every PAX. I already have an idea for Prime 2012, but it will wait.

So wait, does that mean the forums kinda sorta have an official logo now?

kropotkin wrote:
    megacia wrote:

So wait, does that mean the forums kinda sorta have an official logo now?

The crest was a community effort before East 2011 to have a unified community logo. It's been a major success! It was used at East 2011 and Prime 2011 and is very well liked.

zerzhul wrote:
    The crest was a community effort before East 2011 to have a unified community logo. It's been a major success! It was used at East 2011 and Prime 2011 and is very well liked.

I know, because I was the person to start the thread for designing it. I'm so happy, because now I can say that I was part of making a huge impact on PAX and the PAX Forums.

Makes me feel like Rainbow Dash meeting the Wonderbolts.

zerzhul wrote:

I know, because I was the person to start the thread for designing it. I'm so happy, because now I can say that I was part of making a huge impact on PAX and the PAX Forums.

Right, I thought that was you... which was confusing me as I was typing my response...

zerzhul wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

Right, I thought that was you... which was confusing me as I was typing my response...

I was asking because I thought there was uncertainty as to if it would stick around and become the "official" logo.

• VariVari Registered User regular
    Wow! I didn't realize we were close enough for forum badge time. Looks freaking awesome! ^_^

I haven't gotten a forum badge yet-- my first PAX, I was young and unprepared and walked through the convention in a stupor of bright-eyed awe. And at my second PAX, I heard about the badges too late and instead consoled myself with covetous staring. But year-three may just be my year! ^_~

I'm going to try and hit up the MMT or the Pre PAX Dinner, but that depends on the arrival of my flight. Suppose I should start working on that. :p

zerzhul wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

I was asking because I thought there was uncertainty as to if it would stick around and become the "official" logo.

The "official" logo of an unofficial group, yup ;)

• MLCodestMLCodest Registered User regular
    Wow! That is amazing, very cool indeed.

• jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    I loves it so much!

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Mah name isn't there, YOU INSENSITIVE JERK. I'll punch you at D&D this afternoon.

MelesMeles wrote:
    Mah name isn't there, YOU INSENSITIVE JERK. I'll punch you at D&D this afternoon.

No punching! How about I kill off your character instead?

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote:
    MelesMeles wrote:

Here are some suggestions...

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    kropotkin wrote:
    MelesMeles wrote:

Here are some suggestions...

He didn't need suggestions. Two of the four of us died a brutal death. Dorek Sadface, the Dwarf Ranger, is now sad FOREVER. Because he's dead.

• spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    great work kropotkin. I like the challenge question idea. I kinda think of a speakeasy during Prohibition. A question/phrase that could be anwsered with a non-logical answer could be the key.

An example convo like this:

Enforcer: They said it would rain tomorrow.
    Attendee: You can't trust the weatherman, not in the summer.

could be like this or something more creative:

Enforcer: They said they would run out of merch.
    Attendee: I got my stuff early this year.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, as an Enforcer who has handed out forum badges, the only question that actually happens is, "Where the crap did we put them?"

So the example convo would be closer to this:

Attendee: Hey, is this where I get the forum badge?
    Enforcer: Uh, maybe? Hey, did someone drop off forum badges?
    Enforcer: Yeah, I think. Ask Vapok.
    Enforcer: Where is he?
    Enforcer: Hey, do you know where the forum badges are?
    Enforcer: Yeah, they're in a box under the table somewhere.
    Enforcer: Yeah, I think I saw some around here somewhere.
    Enforcer: I think we're out of them.
    Enforcer: Already?
    Enforcer: Oh, here they are.
    Enforcer: Awesome, here ya go!
    Attendee: ... Thanks?

7B14287.png
    At Prime this year I heard a couple people actually being questioned from the list of questions.

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I've been questioned both years at PAX East, so it's working at least some of the time . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Last PAX East
    Le Me: "Ooooh, forum badge! Can I?
    Enforcer that shall not be named: "Sure!"

Case closed.
    I like to think that I was so special, pretty and a proven loyal community/forumer and did not have to go through secret hand shakes and pass codes. Which I would have failed. The irony.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    not sure who I got my badge from last year, but I definitely had to answer a question. then my bf's (non-forumer) friend was all "I want one too!". he was also asked a question and failed to answer. no badge for him!

so the system definitely worked in my case, and this also demonstrates the problem with a single call-response: too easily imitated by anyone in earshot. another advantage of the original system is that, if you are really a frequent former, you can answer most of the questions without studying. it's just stuff you know.

in short, let's not fix what isn't broken.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    I think they were going to ask me questions last East, but I told them my name was on the back and showed my trading card as proof and that was apparently good enough.

• Cliffs of SanityCliffs of Sanity Registered User regular
    I was actually questioned last year at East. I had brought along a cheat sheet of the questions, just in case, but I didn't need it. (I can't remember which question I was asked.) At Prime this year, I had my name on the back and just picked up my badge at the Pre-PAX Dinner. No question/answer required, and the food was great!

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Yay, forum badges! Now that midterms are done, I can be active with PAX things again!

AN9buWz.png
  • LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    Korvas wrote:
    a little late but I really want to take part in this, this year... I was a late arival for last year and wasn't able to get a badge, this year I have no excuse!!!!

Yo Korvas - As I recall, you didn't get a badge last year because you didn't want to ask the Enforcer at the BYOC booth for one, even thought I offered to quiz you on all the questions! :)

Getting my badge last year was epic. I found out about PAX late (about a month beforehand) and discovered the forums shortly thereafter. I missed out on a lot of awesome stuff. I ended up getting a 3-Day badge through the forum, and met some really cool people. I didn't get to participate in any pre-pax social events, but I ended up getting a badge on Sunday. I may have been the last to get one from the BYOC since it turned into a hilarious game of "find the badge box."

This year, I'm doing PAX to the MAX (see what I did there?)

Social events, after parties, card swap, coinage, the whole 9 yards. I even scored a room in the Westin. I would love to have the honor of my name being on the back of the badge. Love the design this year. I'll wear it whenever I play Memoir 44.

Is there a list of official pre-pax social events where badges will be given out?

• KailKail Keeper of Awesomeness WMASSRegistered User regular
    Will be watching this thread closely for more information on getting name on back and the pre-pax events. Looking forward to my first Pax

PAXEast 2013 Status - [] 3-day badge [] Hotel [] Challenge Coin
    VP of 5x5Servers.com
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    woot! looking forward to getting on there for a third year in a row. still have last year's hanging on the back of my door at home! thanks as always for doing this, kropotkin!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI