As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Big Huge Games are kinda the worst screwed ones in this whole deal.

• Options
    R.A. Salvatore, a fantasy writer who helped develop the games, is slated to receive $1.46 million from 38 Studios in October under the terms of a consulting agreement he signed with the company in 2007. He is also eligible to earn up to $5 million in royalties from sales of “Reckoning” and other 38 Studios products.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    more bad news.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/18/bottom-of-the-ninth-38-cant-pay-state-or-employees/

i wish this was some asshole dev and not these guys.... not these guys....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    more bad news.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/18/bottom-of-the-ninth-38-cant-pay-state-or-employees/

Are you talking about Big Huge? Because I kinda lost a lot of respect for Shilling in the last few days.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    more bad news.

Are you talking about Big Huge? Because I kinda lost a lot of respect for Shilling in the last few days.

pretty much. bummed about the schilling thing too.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dharma Bum wrote: »
    I hope the state of Rhode Island will be able to get their shit together and make a decent sequel to Amalur.

While I pretty sure you're joking, (and I would probably buy I game developed by a US state in an instant for the sheer novelty of it) most likely what will happen if 38 defaults is that RI will turn around and sell the rights to the highest bidder, which will probably be for a fraction of what the IP is really worth.

Which could really suck, depending on who it goes to: cakewalk difficult aside, I've really enjoyed the game.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I keep itching to make jokes about the kind of MMO Rhode Island would produce... but who knows fuck-all about Rhode Island?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I hope the state of Rhode Island will be able to get their shit together and make a decent sequel to Amalur.

While I pretty sure you're joking, (and I would probably buy I game developed by a US state in an instant for the sheer novelty of it) most likely what will happen if 38 defaults is that RI will turn around and sell the rights to the highest bidder, which will probably be for a fraction of what the IP is really worth.

Which could really suck, depending on who it goes to: cakewalk difficult aside, I've really enjoyed the game.

"Do I have two million? This is a great IP, excellent reviews and sales, a sequel will be a no brainer, make lots of money as long as you don't sink the rest of your capital into a generic fantasy MMO that nobody will want. You're bidding on the IP only, you will not be taking on 38 Studios' debts, you just get the work and assets they created with seventy-five million American tax payer dollars. Two million, two million, do I have two million? Two million to the gentleman in the Red Sox cap. Two million going once, twice, sold."

olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I keep itching to make jokes about the kind of MMO Rhode Island would produce... but who knows fuck-all about Rhode Island?

Pro: Explore a world few have ever seen!

Con: The world is tiny.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Looks great, but I think I'm not alone in being a little worried given all the financial woes.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This thread could use this as well!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9nvnrP0j8U&

yes the world needs another wow clone that will inevitably fail

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9nvnrP0j8U&
    I think that looks incredible. Do all modern MMOs look this good? I've only played WoW.

It's pretty cool seeing how the playable areas of Reckoning fit into the overall world of Amalur. Best of luck with the studio.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

"Do I have two million? This is a great IP, excellent reviews and sales, a sequel will be a no brainer, make lots of money as long as you don't sink the rest of your capital into a generic fantasy MMO that nobody will want. You're bidding on the IP only, you will not be taking on 38 Studios' debts, you just get the work and assets they created with seventy-five million American tax payer dollars. Two million, two million, do I have two million? Two million to the gentleman in the Red Sox cap. Two million going once, twice, sold."

So I'm guessing I shouldn't be holding my breath for a difficulty patch any time soon.

• Options
    jeremywcjeremywc Registered User regular
    -&

Very nice world, but after 6 years, they should have more than world fly-throughs. It's missing mobs and players running around. And I should see something that makes the game unique and not another iteration of EQ1. I really like the world they've come up with, but I feel like they've spent too much time and money screwing around. And TBH, I can't bring myself to be excited about another generic fantasy MMO. I spent 12 years jumping from one EQ-clone to the next and I just can't do it any more. If I ever feel the need to go back to that kind of game, I'll reinstall Rift. Show me something *new*.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Just finished talking to the Summer King.
    Oh no, oh no, oh no. Please don't do this to me, game.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular

This ongoing 38 Studios debacle is the worst.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    And here I was secretly hoping that since Kingdoms was decently successful maybe Big Huge would be allowed to make a real sequel to Rise of Nations.

So depressing.

EDIT: I don't think DLC for a game has ever been pulled if a studio goes under but I suppose I should pick up the giant dlc just in case.

EDITEDIT: God Origin is so fucking bad. Link a games DLC from the game page you dipshits.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    It gets worse! Apparently 38 Studios laid off its entire staff: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/24/3041662/38-studios-lays-off-entire-staff

• Options
    Big Huge Games too :(

• Options
    Yep. And that's all she wrote folks. No more DLC, patches or anything for Kingdoms and I doubt in this MMO market any company who is interested in the IP is going to bother completing "copernicus".

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    :(

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Man, 38 Studios was my only shot for getting into the game industry (closest studio). So much for that!

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Anybody know if the DLC could be delisted from Xbox Live now? Do we usually get an advance warning for these things?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm not sure whats gonna happen with it on the 360. Since (afaik) they self published on the 360, it very well might go away. I picked up the DLC I didn't have on Origin earlier; but I imagine it'll stay up there since the company isn't actually closing (yet) and they partnered with EA for it.

Actually, since 38 isn't technically going out of business, it'll probably still stay up on Live either way.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    Anybody know if the DLC could be delisted from Xbox Live now? Do we usually get an advance warning for these things?

Even if the studio folded, Electronic Arts has the publishing rights to KoA:R and its DLC - until their contract expires they will still be able to have it up on XBL.

• Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »

Even if the studio folded, Electronic Arts has the publishing rights to KoA:R and its DLC - until their contract expires they will still be able to have it up on XBL.

Just realized... EA will probably win the auction of 38's assets... Shit.

Between KOA folding and Hunted: The Reckoning bellyflopping, I hope this doesn't mean the end of original fantasy IPs in gaming. I hope Dragon's Dogma does well. I really can't name another fantasy RPG coming out in the future.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Well, that's a relief. I wouldn't be able to afford both the game and the DLC all at once right now, and it would suck to buy the DLC without owning the game.

• Options
    I've only heard of a very few instances of Arcade games getting removed entirely from the marketplace, and in those instances: 1) There was public fore-warning and 2) They were publicly de-listed and unavailable for purchase after the date but you can still download them again through your download history.

• Options
    The E-Mail sent to the employees
    The Company is experiencing an economic downturn. To avoid further losses and possibility of retrenchment, the Company has decided that a companywide lay off is absolutely necessary.

These layoffs are non-voluntary and non-disciplinary.

This is your official notice of lay off, effective today, Thursday, May 24th, 2012.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Pretty shitty way to do it, IMO.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Rounding everyone up in the mess hall would have been much better.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I really hope this doesnt mean the DLC goes down, I just got the game, and will probably want the pirates one

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Lame. This game really needs a couple of quick fixes in a patch and it will be one of the best I've played recently.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The thing is I always felt like this game was kind of an 'assassins creed 1', like its a good start, but really needs a sequel to make the most of it. Makes it even more dissapointing.

Seriously though they wont take the DLC down will they? I wants it.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    They should have patched the game. Seriously.

I feel sorry for the employees :(

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Been wanting to get this, never got around to it.
    Given the news, is it a good idea to proceed now, later, or not at all on the purchase? Amazon has it as digital download for $30.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Amazon also has the DLC for 5.99 a pop.