Options

Take My [Chat] Away!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Eliminate pre-existing conditions? That's one of the main things that is fucking so many people up in this country. How can you eliminate one of the most important parts?

Here's the problem, and the exact reason we need universal health care.

Health plans don't want high utilizers, because they spend more than they put in.

The law requires plans to cover high utilizers, which is going to increase their costs.

If there isn't an influx of low utilizers paying premiums, then the plans will have to offset their costs some other way - mostly, by increasing premiums and reducing coverage.

This will make health coverage less attractive to even fewer people, causing more low utilizers to drop out, which reduces plan revenue, which will further increase premiums and reduce coverage... basically creating a death spiral.

We're already in this death spiral now, it is just very slow, because health insurance decisions for most people are made at the employer level.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Alright [chat]folk, off for now. Accomplishing tasks and all that jazz. Be good to Spool. And everyone else too.

But mostly Spool because he appears to be grossly outnumbered.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i think we should just give every american medicare.

there.

healthcare debate solved.

well golly gee get out the macy's floats and lets have a parade ORGANICHU HAS SOLVED EVERYTHING

ಠ_ಠ

there's a reason my ex calls me The Finisher

*sobs*

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i think we should just give every american medicare.

there.

healthcare debate solved.

well golly gee get out the macy's floats and lets have a parade ORGANICHU HAS SOLVED EVERYTHING

ಠ_ಠ

well that would be vastly better than the ACA which itself is better than what's happening right now.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    "United States Health Service"

Has a spiffy ring to it.

Hint hint

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    ushs

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    me3 spoilers
    spool is the illusive man

well ... He was always skeptical of the paternalistic tendencies of the Council and he wanted to just go his own way without interference ... I need to reinterpret me2 now that I have new information.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    The slippery slope argument is an interesting one.

Since I literally never see it outside american politics.

If you started seeing it outside American politics, then all arguments would be based on the slippery slope! D:

It would be incontrovertible proof that the slippery slope is real.

• Options
    my mate was gonna come over.

I think he's forgot or he got buzy because it's getting late now

;_;

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I know I've said this before, but I'll reiterate: as long as the Medicaid eligibility expansion stands, I won't cry too much.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Doing this one little thing will clearly lead to that apocalyptic scenario described in Ghostbusters.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was going to play BF3 and defend Americas freedoms. But I was placed on the Russian side so I had to defend Russias oppression instead.

I am so sorry!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    The slippery slope argument is an interesting one.

Since I literally never see it outside american politics.

If you started seeing it outside American politics, then all arguments would be based on the slippery slope! D:

It would be incontrovertible proof that the slippery slope is real.

No, it would probably mean american rethoric had started infecting our politicians.

And if that happened, I would go terrorist.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Wait, I thought it was Modern Warfare that had a Russian invasion.

• Options
    If I can in a game I always pick the side that lets me kill americans.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

BF:BC, BF:BC2 and BF3 all had russians

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Anybody here with journal access who i can quickly abuse for a paper?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I miss the chinese and the MEC.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    BF3 multiplay is US vs Russia too.

BF3 single play might be slightly US vs Russia, but I don't want to spoil the kind of boring campaign so I won't confirm anything.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I wouldn't know much about Call of Modern Battlefield Duty, the most recent "modern" FPS I played was two round of Counterstrike.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

BF3 is basically "The Sum of All Fears" the game.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    spool, honest question here: why do you believe government should be small?

Big question.

I guess I would say that I believe government should be limited in scope, not that there is a good size and a bad size. "Small government" is properly shorthand for 'a government of limited powers'. One reason I believe this is desirable is that a government with broad powers and few checks against its activity inevitably constrains and reduces liberty.

That's a pretty wide-angle response, but the question was very broad as well.

• Options

Big question.

I guess I would say that I believe government should be limited in scope, not that there is a good size and a bad size. "Small government" is properly shorthand for 'a government of limited powers'. One reason I believe this is desirable is that a government with broad powers and few checks against its activity inevitably constrains and reduces liberty.

Follow-up question: Why is liberty the most important thing?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Government should be the army, and one guy in a hard hat named Dave that we can call up when something breaks.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    As I remember the selective service card in my desk at home, I can't quite bring myself to consider the ACA a startling expansion of power.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

85yr old men weren't part of the militia but had rights. I would say that a law requiring all people buy any product is unconstitutional, yes. Congress doesn't have the power to compel private enterprise when the individual is unwilling to engage in it.

It is an expansion of regulatory power, because it regulates doing nothing, as opposed to regulating some action taken.

I'm not pretending it's a legal complaint, and suggestions that I am reveal your partisan opinion. It IS a legal complaint. Your precedent (the wheat growing case, the militia case) don't apply to this case. Give me a bit to link you sources, I don't have them to hand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn (1942) - one of the most important Supreme Court cases of all time.

Due to problems in the wheat industry, the federal government regulated the industry by mandating a maximum amount of wheat a person could grow. Roscoe Filburn grew more wheat than he was allowed, but argued that since he didn't sell that wheat (instead using it for personal consumption), it was never commerce.
    Whether the subject of the regulation in question was 'production,' 'consumption,' or 'marketing' is, therefore, not material for purposes of deciding the question of federal power before us. That an activity is of local character may help in a doubtful case to determine whether Congress intended to reach it.... But even if appellee's activity be local and though it may not be regarded as commerce, it may still, whatever its nature, be reached by Congress if it exerts a substantial economic effect on interstate commerce and this irrespective of whether such effect is what might at some earlier time have been defined as 'direct' or 'indirect.'

It is well established by decisions of this Court that the power to regulate commerce includes the power to regulate the prices at which commodities in that commerce are dealt in and practices affecting such prices. [n28] One of the primary purposes of the Act in question was to increase the market price of wheat, and, to that end, to limit the volume thereof that could affect the market. It can hardly be denied that a factor of such volume and variability as home-consumed wheat would have a substantial influence on price and market conditions. This may arise because being in marketable condition such wheat overhangs the market, and, if induced by rising prices, tends to flow into the market and check price increases. But if we assume that it is never marketed, it supplies a need of the man who grew it which would otherwise be reflected by purchases in the open market. Home-grown wheat in this sense competes with wheat in commerce. The stimulation of commerce is a use of the regulatory function quite as definitely as prohibitions or restrictions thereon. This record leaves us in no doubt that Congress [p129] may properly have considered that wheat consumed on the farm where grown, if wholly outside the scheme of regulation, would have a substantial effect in defeating and obstructing its purpose to stimulate trade therein at increased prices.

It is said, however, that this Act, forcing some farmers into the market to buy what they could provide for themselves, is an unfair promotion of the markets and prices of specializing wheat growers. It is of the essence of regulation that it lays a restraining hand on the self-interest of the regulated, and that advantages from the regulation commonly fall to others. The conflicts of economic interest between the regulated and those who advantage by it are wisely left under our system to resolution by the Congress under its more flexible and responsible legislative process. [n29] Such conflicts rarely lend themselves to judicial determination. And with the wisdom, workability, or fairness, of the plan of regulation, we have nothing to do.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    As I remember the selective service card in my desk at home, I can't quite bring myself to consider the ACA a startling expansion of power.

Did they make you buy your Selective Service card from Blackwater or something?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The States should just surrender all sovereign powers to Stormont.

Why? Because I've clearly gone power mad and normal wibble mad too wibble.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

one advantage of getting a little older: Not having to worry about the slim chance of that mattering.

Whew, sucks for you younger guys! Good luck with that World War III draft!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I always liked how there's nothing selective about selective service.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    My ass is killing me. Damn you squats and lunges.

DAMN YOU TO HELL

I've been doing a ton of those for a while and I have no pain.

And therefore no gain.

I was doing this with a 9lb bar on my shoulders. Then we dropped low and did small ...I forgot what it's called but I want to say vibrations.

Oh that's different. What kind of training are you doing?

Well it's called TN'T, but I think it's really strength training. I do that, pilates and yoga. I'm hoping to fit in some cardio but I'm kind of hoping to not lose my new boobs.

there are ways to get uneven weightloss

they are all variants of liposuction

What.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    My ass is killing me. Damn you squats and lunges.

DAMN YOU TO HELL

I've been doing a ton of those for a while and I have no pain.

And therefore no gain.

I was doing this with a 9lb bar on my shoulders. Then we dropped low and did small ...I forgot what it's called but I want to say vibrations.

Oh that's different. What kind of training are you doing?

Well it's called TN'T, but I think it's really strength training. I do that, pilates and yoga. I'm hoping to fit in some cardio but I'm kind of hoping to not lose my new boobs.

Oh I want to do P90X. Alf did it and he got fucking hot in about two months.

I want to do P90X but only after I've been working out for awhile so I know I can handle it.

• Options

Sure there is! The Government selects you to do service!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Sure there is! The Government selects you to do service!

You can select to serve or select to spend a weekend with the pain monster!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I'm tired.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    @Feral I don't bother with Slate articles, have you got a source less obviously biased?

it's just not worth wading through the drek for the occasional objective nugget.

Edit: Checked the byline on that article... yeah, not bothering. Sorry man, no offense to you.
    Just to be clear: when you ignore an article because of who the author is, that's okay. But when I ignore the article both because of who the author is and because the author quotes a fucking shitfaced retard as if he was an authority, that's different?
    Well.

When I say "have you got another source because I don't find that one fair-minded?" that's OK.

When you dismiss an idea because you don't like who spoke it, and don't bother to even ask for an alternate, that's different yes.

Glad I could clarify that for you!
    So, when I said pretty much exactly that, and your response was "well, you should read it, because even a broken clock is right twice a day!" you only meant that to apply to people who you like, right?
    I also linked you to the source in that exchange, and stopped berating you for your intransigent attitude, and forgot about the whole thing.

Sorry I got under your skin there.
    Oh, you weren't under my skin; I just feel the need to point out blatant hypocrisy where I see it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    So every so often, one of our customers calls up and says, "All of the data in our application is gone!"

And every time, it turns out this is by design, and it's not gone, but the data was old enough to hit the archive cutoff date and it was archived and is still available if they run the entire report.

But this keeps happening.

• Options
    I dreamed that Thanatos and I went on a fantastic roadtrip together last night

Seeing as how I don't know what Thanatos looks like, it was just Patrick Warburton

• Options

Big question.

Yeah, just look at how horribly oppressed the Scandinavians are, with all of their government.

Boy, howdy, I sure would hate to be oppressed like that.

• Options
    I dreamed that Thanatos and I went on a fantastic roadtrip together last night

Seeing as how I don't know what Thanatos looks like, it was just Patrick Warburton
    I hate to disappoint, but I do not, in fact, look like Patrick Warburton.

This discussion has been closed.