As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Panda Thread of Mystery

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Northrend's really the only thing that needs timeline fixing since there are things in the 1-60 content that require Arthas to already have been killed.

Outland can be done much simpler with a few dialogue tweaks. Change it so now people are going to Outland to investigate how that world was torn apart since apart since Azeroth is in danger of having that happen now. Sure, some people killed Illidan prior to the Cataclysm, but those same people also killed tons of other people like Hogger and so on too that are now canonically fought after the Cataclysm.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they waited for a burning legion expac and then did a massive pass at Outland (updating zones, and adding new ones based on "islands" floating back near the main continent).

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they haven't put in a handwave about you going back in time through the dark portal to witness the past but ultimately not be able to affect history. Something similar could be done with northrend only they'd need to do something about the boats and zeps flying there

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Maybe when they get around to updating Northrend they'll throw some Deathwing damage into a few zones. Dragonblight, at least. Then again, I kinda like the way the Northrend story plays out, and losing that would suck.

I gotta agree, they probably won't redo Outland until the Burning Legion comes back, and Northrend probably won't get a pass until Lich King II: Electric Boogaloo.

Although to play devil's advocate, we've seen what happens when Blizzard devotes time to reworking old content that could have been spent on creating new content...

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Maybe when they get around to updating Northrend they'll throw some Deathwing damage into a few zones. Dragonblight, at least. Then again, I kinda like the way the Northrend story plays out, and losing that would suck.

I gotta agree, they probably won't redo Outland until the Burning Legion comes back, and Northrend probably won't get a pass until Lich King II: Electric Boogaloo.

Although to play devil's advocate, we've seen what happens when Blizzard devotes time to reworking old content that could have been spent on creating new content...

To be fair, Cata upgraded a ton of zones (Kalimdor alone has what, 2 times as many zones as Outland by itself?) Having a few guys go through and update questlines to reflect skirmishes with Burning Legion guerrillas instead of Illidan's forces wouldn't take that much (I'd think).

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    The "silly" boat sailed in Warcraft 2 with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwWh1xy6gvU

I remember putting the Warcraft 2 CD into my boombox on a whim and being like "Hey cool, I can listen to the game's soundtrack this way." And then that song was the last track.

Oh snap, he says "welcome to the World of Warcraft" at the end.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Northrend's really the only thing that needs timeline fixing since there are things in the 1-60 content that require Arthas to already have been killed.

Outland can be done much simpler with a few dialogue tweaks. Change it so now people are going to Outland to investigate how that world was torn apart since apart since Azeroth is in danger of having that happen now. Sure, some people killed Illidan prior to the Cataclysm, but those same people also killed tons of other people like Hogger and so on too that are now canonically fought after the Cataclysm.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they waited for a burning legion expac and then did a massive pass at Outland (updating zones, and adding new ones based on "islands" floating back near the main continent).

They'll go back and update TBC for the Argus expansion.

Now, for Northrend? No clue.

And then they'll have to go back and re-re-update 1-60 again cause by that time the Cataclysm will have long been over and that shit won't make any sense at that point.

Then they'll have to update Pandaria...

This all seems like a lack of foresight.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I think either Titan or WoW2 will come along and sweep away WoW before they get around to a second Azeroth update.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    There will never be a WoW2, and I'm sure Titan, whatever it is, will be designed in such a way as to not 'compete' with WoW for subscribers.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I honestly don't see them redoing any more content. They had to redo vanilla because it was a horrible mess, but other than story stuff, the areas from TBC onward are perfectly functional.

• Options
    Well, Titan is an MMOFPS, so I don't really see that drawing anyone away from WoW...

Sure, some people will check it out on principle that it's a Blizzard game, but I dunno.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    Finally done with the Academy and back in the real world. Any Beasts still playing WoW? What I have missed in the last 9 months? Any reason to come back?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Finally done with the Academy and back in the real world. Any Beasts still playing WoW? What I have missed in the last 9 months? Any reason to come back?

It is still WoW. It is on the downturn waiting for the new xpac coming out in a month or so. I would check out the changes for that to see if they excite you.

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    There will never be a WoW2, ...

Do you have some reference for this or is it just speculation? I think they're going to almost be compelled to make a WoW2 at some point or abandon the franchise. I also suspect that efforts to avoid cannibalization by Titan are going to be partly successful at best.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I really, really liked the trailer. There's some goofiness, but there's a lot of badassness too. and the text is pretty cool.
    When the mists clear and Pandaria is revealed, it gives me goosebumps.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    tarnok wrote: »

Do you have some reference for this or is it just speculation? I think they're going to almost be compelled to make a WoW2 at some point or abandon the franchise. I also suspect that efforts to avoid cannibalization by Titan are going to be partly successful at best.

It's not speculation. no sequel to an MMO has ever worked, or been even remotely as successful as it's predecessor. It guts subs when they are live at the same time (see EQ, AC, among others). GW2 will be successful because GW wasn't an MMO and didn't have a pay scheme.

A sequel to WoW would cannablize the existing player base and new/returning players would be less inclined to start completely over when they've invested so much time into WoW.

WoW will get a new engine entirely before they ever think of making WoW2.

If I had any money to my name I would bet all of it on there never being a WoW2, at the very least not while WoW continues to exist, and it will...for a long long time. Unless something dramatic happens to Blizzard or the world, WoW will continue for decades; even if it's down to 500k players in 20 years, it will still be profitable. If, at some point, the ever end WoW, they might make a WoW2. Might.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    I agree, in fact I would suspect any future Blizzard MMO to have a joint sub with wow. You playing just Titan and never ever log into Wow? Congrats you are a Blizzard subscriber for when they put out their "We have a fuckton of subscribers" ads. Never going to touch Titan because you use Wow for the chat room to hang with your friends and would rather suck start a revolver than level another toon? Congrats you are a Blizzard subscriber. Much like with the sub for a year get diablo 3 for free deal. I still think that was a rather brilliant business move.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'd be down to even pay a small increase in my wow subs to be able to play both wow and titan, assuming i'm still playing wow when that comes out.

815165 on
  • Options
    While I agree that they will milk WoW for as long as possible but I disagree that they will not make another MMO like WoW until they take it offline. If they start losing subs down to 500k of even more than that they will make something to try to get a game with the population much higher. It may not be WoW2 but it would be something that would be an "upgrade".

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Of course they're going to make more MMO's. WoW has been unreasonably successful; even if future MMO's by them are even a small percentage as successful they'll still rank among the most successful MMO's.

No one ever said they weren't going to make more MMO's, like WoW or not. I mean, we know they're making another one.

I'm just confident that WoW2 won't ever be in the cards. And why should it? What would they do with a sequel that they couldn't do with the game already? They can do a new engine, and thus introduce new types of gameplay, etc. Why would they force anyone to completely start over, when it behooves them to maintain subscribers and people are more likely to pay for something they've already invested time and money into. And I mean long term pay; not buy the game and then quit after the trial like happens with so many new MMO's.

Shit, they may even do another MMO in the Warcraft universe; Warcraft 4 might be an MMORTS.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MMORTS.... I like your train of thought there DWH. The thing with Blizz is that they have such a limited amount of IP, strong as it is, that it would be difficult make another traditional MMO without it being WoW2. I do agree with you though we are still talking about years and years down the road. As, contrary to popular belief, Blizzard is not stupid.

Also earlier someone said Titan was going to be a MMOFPS? Is this conjecture or has there actually been leaks. Because I have soon nothing stating such.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There have been "leaks".

Those leaks have been "Titan is an MMOFPS" and nothing else

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    What the fuck is going on with the LFR grouping?

I got into one on my lock with 6 other warlocks so nope.

Logged onto my DK and there were eleven DK's not including me.

Gonna try my Mage but holy shit.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Gonna be cool in mop when that isn't an issue.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Yes.

EDIT: Actually...like, a week and a half, isn't the loot system in 5.0? If so I really need to get the holy plate boots on my pally because unless I want to respec holy I can't get them after 5.0...one of the biggest most glaring problems with the new loot system to me.

EDIT2: Also does anyone know if they're removing the daily cap in 5.0?

EDIT3: I've said this before but fuck LFR needs a "fresh instance only" checkbox.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    MMORTS.... I like your train of thought there DWH. The thing with Blizz is that they have such a limited amount of IP, strong as it is, that it would be difficult make another traditional MMO without it being WoW2. I do agree with you though we are still talking about years and years down the road. As, contrary to popular belief, Blizzard is not stupid.

Also earlier someone said Titan was going to be a MMOFPS? Is this conjecture or has there actually been leaks. Because I have soon nothing stating such.

There was a video where someone asked Frank Pierce about Titan, and all he said was "It's our new MMOFPS".

But aside from that there is nothing else.

Edit: Oh hm, nevermind I misremembered, all he said was "MMO". I swear there was something else though that said it was MMOFPS...

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Daily cap: I remember some talk about that. Either they removed the cap entirely or they set it at something absurd, like 100 quests. Looking for a ref now.

EDIT: Here we go - "Current plan is to remove the daily quest cap completely for ship. Just like what you see in the beta now. We literally have 100's of daily quests at level 90 and we want to make sure that players can pick and choose what they want to do." - Mumper, 5/24

Rikidou Hyuuga on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Esentialy there is no more hard cap, just cap on how many daily quests in the game. MOP has few hundred on Pandaria but only some fiftyish are available on any given day (think Tol Barad dailies). Cata has a bunch scattered all over the place (TB, Therazane, bunch from orcs/dwarwes in TH, few in Uldum, profession dailies in capitals, molten front). TBC had a ton of them all over the place, from pretty much every faction plus pvp ones. Wrath same thing.

So if you want to (and feel kind of masochistic) you could do dailies all day long.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Have they ever said what Titan is?
    I can pop out all 25 dailies on my rogue in about 45 minutes my warlock though can do it in about 40ish

• Options
    Yeah, I'm just wondering if the cap removal is coming with MoP or with 5.0; I know they're removing it for sure.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    tarnok wrote: »

It's not speculation. no sequel to an MMO has ever worked, or been even remotely as successful as it's predecessor. It guts subs when they are live at the same time (see EQ, AC, among others). GW2 will be successful because GW wasn't an MMO and didn't have a pay scheme.

A sequel to WoW would cannablize the existing player base and new/returning players would be less inclined to start completely over when they've invested so much time into WoW.

WoW will get a new engine entirely before they ever think of making WoW2.

If I had any money to my name I would bet all of it on there never being a WoW2, at the very least not while WoW continues to exist, and it will...for a long long time. Unless something dramatic happens to Blizzard or the world, WoW will continue for decades; even if it's down to 500k players in 20 years, it will still be profitable. If, at some point, the ever end WoW, they might make a WoW2. Might.

I thought Lineage managed to pull off the MMO sequel thing. I think a WoW sequel could work if they build it without a subscription model.

Whether they're willing to try it? Nah, you're probably correct. Next Warcraft game's gonna be an RTS akin to Warcraft 3 with updated graphics.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    If warcraft ever spawns an RTS again, I suspect it'd be multiplayer only. And likely F2P with cash shop. Thrall for 5$.

Though it would be fun to see them try and make a single player story for an RTS out of the clusterfuck that is the lore nowadays. Since every fun plot point in the RTS games has been crammed into WoW at some point or other, anyone who loved the old games but didn't play the MMO are just going to end up pissed. "Oh, Arthas? Yeah, he was killed by some random shmucks, that's over with. He dropped a sweet hat though". I just don't see it working.

Not saying they can't or won't go in that direction, but you would end up with the level of bitching about SC2's story times a billion. Course it would make money regardless.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I recently started farming the Baradin Fox again due to realizing that more people will probably farm it in MoP when the pet dealy tells them where to get it and they're 5 levels higher so they can basically oneshot them. Filled my bags with fox teeth and still no baby fox to steal and call my own.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    I recently started farming the Baradin Fox again due to realizing that more people will probably farm it in MoP when the pet dealy tells them where to get it and they're 5 levels higher so they can basically oneshot them. Filled my bags with fox teeth and still no baby fox to steal and call my own.

Just FYI the fox kit will be buyable via the tol borad factions in MoP (probably 5.0) for 200 TB tokens. Not sure if it'll also still drop from the foxes themselves; but you might just do dailies instead of killing yourself grinding foxes.

Though if you're a skinner too, Cata Leather is still worth a lot and probably will be moreso in MoP with people leveling skills and fewer people doing Cata content for skinning.

• Options
    So unrelated, I was thinking.

You can do LFD via realid/bnet id now.

Would anyone, alliance side (or shit, since its account wide, horde too I guess; I have no shortage of 85's) be interested in setting up some playtimes to do achievements for Glory of the Cataclysm Hero?

I'd really like to get that meta down before MoP. It might be easier to do after 5.0.4 when achievement are account based so any done will count towards the meta.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    If warcraft ever spawns an RTS again, I suspect it'd be multiplayer only. And likely F2P with cash shop. Thrall for 5$.

Though it would be fun to see them try and make a single player story for an RTS out of the clusterfuck that is the lore nowadays. Since every fun plot point in the RTS games has been crammed into WoW at some point or other, anyone who loved the old games but didn't play the MMO are just going to end up pissed. "Oh, Arthas? Yeah, he was killed by some random shmucks, that's over with. He dropped a sweet hat though". I just don't see it working.

Not saying they can't or won't go in that direction, but you would end up with the level of bitching about SC2's story times a billion. Course it would make money regardless.
    Arthas was introduced in WC3. Not like they can't just introduce some new big bad at any point (i.e. Sha).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »

Just FYI the fox kit will be buyable via the tol borad factions in MoP (probably 5.0) for 200 TB tokens. Not sure if it'll also still drop from the foxes themselves; but you might just do dailies instead of killing yourself grinding foxes.

Though if you're a skinner too, Cata Leather is still worth a lot and probably will be moreso in MoP with people leveling skills and fewer people doing Cata content for skinning.
    Really? Sound like I have some tokens to grind.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Woot, jsut won the t13 head from LFR, 5/5 now. Just need the valor to buy the belt and, minus the boots from warmaster, I have the complete "set" for him to look purdy in teh future with.

• Options

Would anyone, alliance side (or shit, since its account wide, horde too I guess; I have no shortage of 85's) be interested in setting up some playtimes to do achievements for Glory of the Cataclysm Hero?

I'd really like to get that meta down before MoP. It might be easier to do after 5.0.4 when achievement are account based so any done will count towards the meta.

It's stupid easy at this point, and I can help you if you want. Pm you reaild. I'll be on in a bit. You probably want to bring a full group though, just so everyone is on the same page.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It always amuses me when people act like the warcraft story prior to World Of is some kind of sacred document.

I'm actually really glad that we've finally disposed of pretty much every character (aside from thrall and jaina) from the RTS games. Maybe now we can get on to some new shit that'll be more interesting that stupid deathwing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

It's stupid easy at this point, and I can help you if you want. Pm you reaild. I'll be on in a bit. You probably want to bring a full group though, just so everyone is on the same page.

Yeah it's the "same page" aspect I'm worried about, not the inherent difficulty. People in LFD can get bizarrely pissy if you request an attempt at an achievement.

This discussion has been closed.