As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I got my MBA from [WH40k] Also, Drunkhammer besthammer.

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    Mainly because I'd never been to a GT, and this is the closest one. It won't happen again. I'd like to go to NOVA or adepticon maybe.

I know NAX is itching to go to Adepticon but it happens to take place like a week before my anniversary.

Adepticon is pretty much balls awesome. I used to go when I lived in Detroit. Now it's a bit of a drive.

Still, depending on my employment situation is at the time (and if I have my armies together), I may go next year. I got my termination notice a couple weeks back; I've got work until March 28th, then they're keeping me on the payroll as a retainer for another two months. So basically, I could go and still collect a paycheck. Which has it's advantages.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Space marine bikes have T5 now, automatically. If I give my captain a bike, does he gain T5? or stay T4?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Space marine bikes have T5 now, automatically. If I give my captain a bike, does he gain T5? or stay T4?

I you gain +1 toughness from something you are now that toughness with no () any more. So yes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    He gains T5.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Picked up my HH book from my local store tonight. Took a quick look through and it's awesome. I don't have time to read through it in detail tonight though. That will have to wait until later in the week.

This.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Finally got around to trying to make a list for this new Chaos book-thing.

Tell me what you dudes think!
    Chaos Lord: 165
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Veteran of the Long War
    -Steed of Slaanesh
    -Sigil of Corruption
    -Lightning Claw
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Melta Bombs

Chaos Bikers: 165
    -Plasma Gun x2
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    -Veterans of the Long War
    Biker Champion
    -Power Weapon

Noise Marines: 346
    -7 Extra Noise Marines
    -10 Sonic Blasters
    -Blastmaster
    Noise Champion
    -Doom Siren
    -Lightning Claw

Chaos Space Marines:222
    -1 Extra Chaos Space Marine
    -Close Combat Weapons
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    -Plasma Pistol
    Aspiring Champion
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Lightning Claw

-Close Combat Weapons
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    -Plasma Pistol
    Aspiring Champion
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Lightning Claw

Havocs: 210
    -1 Extra Havoc
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    -4 Lascannons

Heldrake: 170
    -Hades Autocannon

Total: 1500
    (Also, it has 39 models total. 3+9=12, 12/2=6. Slaanesh is pleased!)

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I have no idea how 39 has anything to do with Slaanesh. It's not a multiple of 6.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I did the math right there for you.

Take the two numbers that make up thirty-nine (3 and 9), add them together and you get twelve. Which is a multiple of 6.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Right, but the number itself isn't. That's what's bugging me. I got the math, but it's still.. You can really do that with almost anything.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Yep. I know it's some Tzeenth-y math, but aside from that, what do you think of the liiiiiiist?

• Options
    What's up with Lords on steeds? They just fuck around by themselves unless you take the demon cavalry from allied Daemons? Seems like they'd be easy to focus and kill otherwise. Enlighten me on their benefits?

Seems like a cool list but I've never been a fan of plasma pistols. Feels like the points can better be spent elsewhere. Better keep that Lord and Havocs safe, you can't really deal with heavy vehicles otherwise. STR 8 doesn't cut it against 'raiders. Well, shit. I guess it does nowadays if you glance them to death. Nothing I'd want to rely on.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Lord on Steed (I thought he could run with the bikes), he gets +1 attack (which makes up for not having an extra lightning claw), extra 3" on run distance, gains Acute Senses and Outflank.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    So basically he gets to potentially flank the enemy back lines and... yeah. Get shot to death that much quicker. I don't know how to feel about that. Doesn't even have a MUURDEER SWOOOOOORD.

Bike Lord is neat, though. I recommend it.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    He outflanks with the Bikers and shoots the shit out of something. In that unit they're majority toughness 5 with FNP from the icon, so not a particularly soft target. And as they'll be coming on turn 2 at the earliest that's a bit of time for the other marines to advance into threatening positions to take some of the pressure off. Whether it will work or not is up in the air, it'll all depend on if FNP is enough to make up for the small sizes of the other squads.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Well, I've had some good luck with outflanking, it's fun and I like it. Honestly, you don't have to outflank the back lines every time, it's also useful to outflank in the midfield on occasion.

And I'm not sold on the Murder Sword. Yeah, it's great against the nominated character, but it's just a power sword against everything else. I'd rather lascannon or plasma it to death. Now, if the weilder of the Murder Sword got to keep it's x2Str bonus afterwards, I'd make points for it.

• Options
    Yeah, 90% of the time the Murder Sword is just a power sword with a cool name. As you have to nominate a character, your opponent is going to do his damnedest to make sure they never meet because you'll almost certainly butcher him. Controlling your opponents movements like that may be valuable to you, but I'm not sold myself.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    I'm also considering throwing down a flying Prince with the Brand and the Mace just swooping and burning and smooshing everything he sees.

• Options
    I'm also considering throwing down a flying Prince with the Brand and the Mace just swooping and burning and smooshing everything he sees.

A daemon Prince only has one weapon, and you have to exchange weapons for Artefacts so you won't be able to have the Brand and the Mace.

But one thing I have noticed is that Grenades are Weapons (according to the rulebook). So a Dark Apostle can swap his Krak grenades for the Burning Brand (for example) without losing his 2 weapon bonus from Power Maul + Bolt Pistol.

• Options
    Oh yeeeeah. Forgot about the one weapon limitation.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Damnit, just saw that 3 day pax east passes were sold out. Jesus. It's 6 months away!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Al-fucking-ready? Wow.

You should sign up for Kingdom-Con instead. It's our own little gaming convention here in San Diego. Gonna be on its 4th year!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Altmann please tell me you planned out a big ol trip to pax east instead of west next year and you have a bunch of passes please please.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I was very close to dropping $texas on pax east passes and reselling them to people I know like Law who are too short-sighted to actually realize that the last 2 paxes have sold out within hours.

Alas, I don't have the heart since i'm not going to Pax East and I don't like profiting off PA unnecessarily.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Well now you know that you would be providing a meaningful service to we morons.

Why not go to east? Cooler than west.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In my experence heading east is a lesson in rather high opinions and a lack of understanding

I would go to pax but then it's something I would do tha'ts really more of an afterthought anymore

• Options
    Well seems you're right since I'm east coast and I don't understand what you mean there.

• Options
    @mazzyx

I'm trying to have a play with your battlescribe catalogue, but it isn't working. Loading it up in the Catalogue Editor I get a "Could not find game system with id=..." error. What game system file did you base it off?

• Options
    Law it's a lesson in lack of reasonal understanding. Clear as day bro.

East is great, I'd go every year.

If it wasn't a week before my anniversary.

signature.png
  • Options
    As an unmarried person I don't think the week before is a big deal unless it's a budget thing or if there's some kind of week before anniversary event.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    @mazzyx

I'm trying to have a play with your battlescribe catalogue, but it isn't working. Loading it up in the Catalogue Editor I get a "Could not find game system with id=..." error. What game system file did you base it off?

The 40k one. I just remembered I did some alterations to it when 6th hit so I could add hull points. I will upload it here for you when i get the chance this afternoon.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    "hi hon, sorry we can't go on our weekend trip to !vacationdestination i mean, i just used up most of my vacation time at the 2nd pax of the year that I go to, and i have to be back at work so we'll just have to do it another time."

signature.png
  • Options
    altmann wrote: »
    "hi hon, sorry we can't go on our weekend trip to !vacationdestination i mean, i just used up most of my vacation time at the 2nd pax of the year that I go to, and i have to be back at work so we'll just have to do it another time."

I would say... don't go to pax west.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »
    You guys should all come to AusPAX and play me.

Can I stay at your house? I assume you live in the con

I live in Melbourne, which is where the Con is supposedly taking place, so . . . Sure! :P

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Oh, I thought AusPax was a fictional event.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Only in as much as Australia is a fictional place… I mean really, people walking upside down? How would that even work? Their legs would be in the air, surely? No, clearly the entire place is a fiction of impoverished sailors in want of a drink at the listener's expense.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Bunch of criminals with backwards-flushing toilets*. Also tons of poisonous bugs/reptiles/monsters. No thanks.

*That means the poop flies out when you flush right?

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Finally got around to trying to make a list for this new Chaos book-thing.

Tell me what you dudes think!
    Chaos Lord: 165
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Veteran of the Long War
    -Steed of Slaanesh
    -Sigil of Corruption
    -Lightning Claw
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Melta Bombs

Chaos Bikers: 165
    -Plasma Gun x2
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    Biker Champion
    -Power Weapon

Noise Marines: 346
    -7 Extra Noise Marines
    -10 Sonic Blasters
    -Blastmaster
    Noise Champion
    -Doom Siren
    -Lightning Claw

-Close Combat Weapons
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    -Plasma Pistol
    Aspiring Champion
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Lightning Claw

-Close Combat Weapons
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    -Plasma Pistol
    Aspiring Champion
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Lightning Claw

Havocs: 210
    -1 Extra Havoc
    -Mark of Slaanesh
    -Icon of Excess
    -4 Lascannons

Heldrake: 170
    -Hades Autocannon

Total: 1500
    (Also, it has 39 models total. 3+9=12, 12/2=6. Slaanesh is pleased!)

Seems mostly not bad. I am hesitant on all the plasma pistols - I much prefer meltaguns, and they're a point cheaper. Plasma pistols are expensive and usually only get to fire once. Dropping all of them gives you ~55 points (assuming the squads swap out for meltaguns).

As cool as the blastmaster is, I'm not sure it's worth it in such a large unit. Which is ironic, as that's the only way they can be taken right now. I'd much rather take that large squad and drop it to two squads of 6 with just sonic blasters. Only ~120 points each! And it's a lot of firepower. Maybe a doom siren in each too if you have the points, but since they'll mostly be backfield objective holders I don't think you'll need that.

6-man CSM combat units aren't going to really do anything, I think. They're too small to really have an impact on the battlefield, and can't contribute enough attacks. I'd actually consider combining them into a single unit of 12, or take two units of 12, with VotLW. That also lets them take the second special weapon. Either that, or give them Rhinos with Havoc Launchers.

Lascannons on the Havocs is expensive, but may be necessary in this build. Swapping to meltaguns should help a bit though, but you may want to consider autocannons instead. I might consider a second unit of Havocs with AC in place of the Heldrake - the flier is nice, but doesn't really contribute too much I think.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    I was in the antipodes last month. The GW in Auckland had Dark Vengance for something like $200NZ ($160USD). I tried to see if toilets worked the wrong way but I couldnt really tell. They were mostly the suctiony kind.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ok, now that I have permission to post about this:

A friend of mine bought the Limited Edition Chaos Codex which was $100 and (allegedly) limited to only 1000 copies. He went and picked it up on Saturday and was content. He was even happy that he managed to get #127 out of 1000.

Then on Monday he goes to check how much they are going for on Ebay. In his search he happens to find a listing for one that claims to also be #127 out of 1000. Thinking it's a scam he contacts the seller. The seller is also surprised and sends him a picture of the number in his book. Both are #127!

Here are photos of both copies.

So my friend is understandably upset and contacts GW to see what the hell is going on. GW's story is this:

Apparently at the last minute they decided to change the numbered paper inserts. Apparently something was wrong with the watermark or something and they decided to remove it from the cards. Unfortunately they already put them in all the books, shrink wrapped them and sent them out to the various countries. 400 was sent to North America, 400 to the UK, and 200 for the rest of the world. So to replace the cards they had to open each one, remove the old card and put in the new one. Apparently this was done properly to all the NA copies, but the UK didn't do theirs right and just packed in the new card with the books and left the old cards tacked into the inside cover. They also fucked up because they didn't replace the cards with the same numbers, but gave each book a new number with the new card.

So according to GW, my friend has the "real" #127 since it doesn't have the watermark and the dude in the UK has the "fake" #127. This all sounds like stupid bullshit to me and I'm sure they would tell the UK guy he has the "real" #127 if they contacted him.

I'm not sure if GW is telling the truth, but there is at least one guy on the B&C saying he received two different numbers in his copy... so who knows.

The point is, GW really fucked this one up. On such a limited printing, and at that cost, they really should have done a better job. If this was sports memorabilia or collectables there would be a shit storm. When you limit the quantities like this you are directly creating a collectors market. Something like this makes the books fairly worthless as collectables since no one will really know what copy they have.

My friend was going to just get rid of his one ebay as well, but then there would be two #127s listed at the same time. Instead, he will just be returning it to GW and getting a regular copy from our local game store for half the price.

• Options
    Just when I think GW is starting to get it. They go and drop the derp bomb.

Largely unrelated: I ordered my copy of Horus Heresy book 1 on Sept 28th pretty much as soon as you could. I got an email from Forgeworld telling me it had shipped Oct 1st so I've been anxiously awaiting its arrival for the last few business days and have been disappointed.

Last night (technically this morning as it was after midnight) I get an email from UPS with my tracking information because I have an account with them to let me authorize the delivery guy to just leave the shit at my door if no one answers. It's arriving tomorrow (Oct 11th).

It actually shipped on Oct 5th, in spite of Forgeworld telling me the 1st and conveniently not giving me a tracking number.

:?