As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Okay, so I definitely need to figure out where to shoot bombers more effectively. I unloaded around 5,000 7.62mm rounds into a Japanese H6K, and the bastard kept flying. Granted, most were in his fuselage, but come on.

Go for wings and engines I guess? There aren't many cannons going on in tier 2-3, so bomber huntng with MGs is kind of a pain.

Do you have upgraded ammo? I was experiencing the same thing last night and plan to play with different ammo belts to see if the works better.

Though I still don't know how purchasing it works.

I've also read on the official forums that wings are the best place to shoot since that's where the fuel is. Also the recommend HE for fighters and AP for bombers. Depending on what you are flying, you may only have AP (and varients there of) because you only have rifle caliber machine guns.

Yeah, wings on bombers are a good target, especially since the engiens are there. It's easy to want to center-mass your targets, but some of your stouter planes can just absorb the punishment. I really like this game so much better than WoWP, because even the arcade mode feels deeper.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    Okay, so I definitely need to figure out where to shoot bombers more effectively. I unloaded around 5,000 7.62mm rounds into a Japanese H6K, and the bastard kept flying. Granted, most were in his fuselage, but come on.

Go for wings and engines I guess? There aren't many cannons going on in tier 2-3, so bomber huntng with MGs is kind of a pain.

Do you have upgraded ammo? I was experiencing the same thing last night and plan to play with different ammo belts to see if the works better.

Though I still don't know how purchasing it works.

I've also read on the official forums that wings are the best place to shoot since that's where the fuel is. Also the recommend HE for fighters and AP for bombers. Depending on what you are flying, you may only have AP (and varients there of) because you only have rifle caliber machine guns.

I think I was running the omni ammo, which doesn't feel like much of an upgrade off default - but it's cheap, so whatever.

From what I gather, AP is best against hardened targets that need penetration - engine blocks and armored bombers fall into that category. Japanese planes in general are pretty much paper, so HE would be the best bet for them, I think.

I'm going to try stealth belts (lots of AP and AP-Incendiary) on bomber wings/engines to see how that does.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I like stealth ammo for the fact that it gives you an extra 2-3 seconds of "where did that come from?" every now and then where your targets are confused. it happens.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Use kb and mouse together. Depending on the sensitivity you put the keys to, you can have hard evasive moves on the keyboard, and fine control with the mouse. You'll be ahead of 60% of the other players at rank 3-

I may try that, but I'll have to get used to using the scroll wheel to control my speed first. There are times when I mash S to climb though, and that doesn't work so well with the defaults.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    When you have an even number of bombs, do they drop in pairs or individually?

Also when you finish a skin challenge, can you apply that camo to any number of planes? My Eyetalians need their lend-lease german equipment to be painted proper.

The skins are for a specific plane. You drop bombs individually

If you have two types (like in the stuka, 250kg and 4x 50kg), what order do they drop in?

I was about to say that you can't load more than one type of bomb, but it looks like the Stuka is an exception! No idea, I'm afraid.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    When you have an even number of bombs, do they drop in pairs or individually?

Also when you finish a skin challenge, can you apply that camo to any number of planes? My Eyetalians need their lend-lease german equipment to be painted proper.

The skins are for a specific plane. You drop bombs individually

If you have two types (like in the stuka, 250kg and 4x 50kg), what order do they drop in?

I was about to say that you can't load more than one type of bomb, but it looks like the Stuka is an exception! No idea, I'm afraid.

The D3A1 has a 2x50kg 250kg load out. I'm pretty sure it drops the wing bombs first.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    So, I just got this and have unlocked a few ranks... is there a PA squadron a la the Oosiks for MWO? I saw nothing in the OP.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I don't think there is a dedicated squadron. The Oosiks have probably just taken it over.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Squadrons require Eagles to form, I believe

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Stuka drop is furthest out inwards (50, 50, 50, 50, 250/500). I assume some of the other medium bombers with multiple bomb sizes do it the same way.

• Options
    AP ammo is the bee's knees in British fighters. You can't really see where your rounds are going, so I probably wouldn't run them outside Arcade mode. Not as many "surprise" wing shootoffs or flames, but they'll tear a fighter apart pretty quickly.

I think a squadron would be a great idea, and I'd be willing to put down the Eagles for it if development keeps going the way it has so far.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    *clicks on the wrong thread*
    *sees an entire page of Oosiks playing this*

I guess I can give this a go when I get home. I guess.
    Y'all motherfuckers better hold on to your butts when I get my hands on an IL-2.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    The devs gave the Russians some serious home field advantage, so those things are a beast. I'd love to have enough active pilots to run some event matches, because those look like a hell of a lot of fun.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Fuck the Russian planes.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Every time I've died fast it's being to a Russian.

Like seriously every time.

• Options
    I won't be mad if people fly Russian.

I'll just be disappointed.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    I've got all the nations up to 3-5, with the British the only 5.

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    It costs 2500 golden eagles to start a squadron (14 euros)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    It looks like the best deal is to get the Ace Advanced Pack DLC on Steam for $40. You get 10,000 Eagles, which would normally run you €49 ($67), plus a couple premium planes and two months of premium account time. You can only get that pack once per account, though.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    But what would the squadron name be?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Traditional PA group name is WANG: We Are Nice Guys

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    @Trask and I stayed up WAY too late playing last night. I've dabbled in all T0 planes now so I can give my impressions to newer players like TOG.

Japan - The K-10 is complete garbage. Flies like a bus, bleeds off so much energy, and it's 2 rifle caliber machine guns are quite lack luster. Though from what I hear, griding these will reward you with much better flying aircraft in the higher tiers.
    USA - P26 Peashooter. Very fitting name. Flight model is okay. Slow and can take decent hits for it's tier. MGs are meh but aren't as bad as the Japanese ones. The F2 wasn't much better in T1. The T0 bomber is worthless.
    UK - The Fury and Nimrod fly well. Easy to control and I fight with. Their guns are lacking. Probably 2nd worse just behind the Japs. I really wanted to use that torpedo plane, but never got an opportunity.
    Germany - This is the country I started out with and I think the He51 is a damned nice starter. I really didn't appreciate it when I used it. Decent all round makes this my #2 pick.
    USSR - FUCKING EASY MODE. It's fast, it handles and has double the firepower of any other starter plane. You can out everything everyone. It only took 1 match to go from zero xp to Tier 1.5. Yup. I think I had something like 7 air and 9+ ground kills. In fact, it looks like the I-15 is on par with the British T1 Gloster Gladiator.

I'm still in love with my Italian planes but I'm starting to see the benefits of other nations. They fly great but are woefully under gunned. My only kills are typically from criticaling flight surfaces. Never from catastrophic fuel explosion or anything lovely like that.

The Bf110 is hilarious to fly. A bus with wings but the bus is LOADED down with firepower. It's seriously the most sluggish thing I've flown. 4x MGs and 2x cannons?! Yes please! Don't attempt to turn with it. Just fly it straight and wait for something to bleed off its energy and pick it off with a squirt of your barrels.

Tips for new players:

The nation you get T1/T2 first will reward you with a free premium, "hero" plane. Germany gives you the CR.42 night fighter. Look at what they are before picking your country because these are seriously nice aircraft (for their level). Also in the early stages of the game, concentrate on taking out mission objectives (armored cars). They give good XP and are easier to kill than enemy players. When shooting at enemy players, the lead indicator is mearly a suggestion. I constantly find myself shooting in front of it to land hits. The enemy is MOST vulnerable when they are making a hard turn and the top of their wings are exposed. These are easier to hit and take the most damage while containing very vulnerable parts (fuel, flight surfaces, wing spars, etc...).

For such an arcadey game, the damage model is quite mature.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    For as bad as the starter Japanese craft are, I actually like them (even with my hatred of not scoring kills with them).

the main reason is their incredibly tight turning radius. If you start a fight, the enemy *needs* a buddy to get you off their tail, and the more speed the dump to evade you, the more they are playing into your style of fighting. Even if the enemy starts an engagement with you, turn and fight them. The longer they engage you, the more energy they lose trying to.get you.

the only ways I've lost were when I turned an ran away, or they nailed me in there initial pass before I even knew they were there.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I'm online now playing

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Anyone try this game with an XBOX360 controller or similar?

• Options
    Ferret did and he was having a rough go of it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Anyone try this game with an XBOX360 controller or similar?

It sounded like a great idea, but I couldn't aim for crap with it. The wiggle of the plane made it really difficult to put your crosshairs where you want them. If you use mouseaim, the crosshairs go exactly where you want them. I switched from controller to mouse aim, and I can kill things all of a sudden. Kill LOTS of things.

It was pretty easy to maneuver with the controller though. But shooting, forget about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I need a new means of manuvering. It's harder to take advantage of certain aircrafts manuver advantages (the CR.42s awesome roll) since the mouse piloting will only really roll hard when you practically throw the mouse.

Maybe use WASD for elevators and alerons, mouse for aiming, shooting, and mouse wheel for throttle? Doesn't @DaMoonRulz fly like this?

Also, the mouse piloting sucks for making loops. Last night @Trask and I kept getting put on those stupid mountain/canyon maps. I'd be nice to pull an Immelman or Split-S to make another pass at armored cars, but my Fury Mk.I decided to to a hard bank into the canyon wall instead of doing a dive or loop.

• Options
    No, I think @Campy was using that configuration. Page up and Page down control your elevators

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Oh, and for those new guys that would grace me by using my invite link (*cough* @TOGSolid *cough*), here it is:

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_9792475

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    You can pull some incredibly sharp turns with liberal use of all your control surfaces on the keyboard. I'm weird and use ctrl and shift for my elevator though.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

It should be noted that I'm picking Russia because I always pick Russia. I just like the way their stuff looks and it always fits me pretty well playstyle wise. Like, even in real life I've got an AK, an SKS, and a Mosin Nagant for my main rifles because they just feel right to me.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    this wouldn't be because you live in a place in alaska that has eyeshot of russia does it? :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

It should be noted that I'm picking Russia because I always pick Russia. I just like the way their stuff looks and it always fits me pretty well playstyle wise. Like, even in real life I've got an AK, an SKS, and a Mosin Nagant for my main rifles because they just feel right to me.

And my feeling "right" you mean having horrible ergonomics but work in all conditions. I had an old M38 Mosin (the carbine with out the side folding bayo) that was in ROUGH shape. '43 build. Many stock repairs, worn finish, and my favorite, a completely canted sight. Shot everything i could feed it and even with the jacked up front sight, still shot straight.

Mosin Nagant: Part club, part oar, part tent post; all Soviet all the time!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I bro'd that @Capsaicin post, but you should all consider it to have been Comrade'd.

• Options
    Russia were always the best to play in Diplomacy too. You get to play the 'I'll fuck up everything you have planned if you don't bend over to appease me' card constantly.

What I'm saying is Russia is cool.

Just not in this game, where Russia is terrifyingly broken.

Also talk of people owning guns always makes me do a double take. :rotate:

• Options
    Also talk of people owning guns always makes me do a double take. :rotate:

Same. They're awfully peaceful for a country that has guns but no government though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Capsaicin I didn't catch the thread until now, or I would have mentioned in flight, but I had the same problems with mouse aim. I've worked out proper vertical maneuvers using KBAM, and am happy with it. Sustained hard turning is still a pain in the ass, though.

I mapped pitch/roll to WASD, rudder to QE, and free mouselook to C. To do an Immelman, hold S to start a climb while in free mouselook. Point the cursor to look at your eventual heading, and release mouselook and S once your nose tips over into the half loop; the plane will make a smooth roll to level out and complete the maneuver.

A wingover is the same, but release S and jam Q/E when vertical. Once you're flopped over, mouselook forward, release, and auto-stabilize.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    No, I think @Campy was using that configuration. Page up and Page down control your elevators

I've been rocking the full joystick with throttle setup. I definitely dig the realism aspect of it, but I'm sure I'd actually do better with the ol' reliable mouse and keyboard.

• Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    One thing to keep in mind, fly something with bombs to take out the ground units.
    Most maps focus on taking them out and so many people totally ignore them.

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo