As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I still play, though very little. The economy was hit in the head with a bat with the 1.29 patch, and the Japanese planes still have messed up flight models (A6M2 and A6M3 aileron lock begins at 400km/h, with both largely unable to roll at 500km/h, which means they're useless in their principal role as turn fighters). Hoping they fix things before diving back in in earnest. Plane costs are crazy compared to before, as well.

I really want to like this game, but Gaijin are making it hard.

On the plus side, the game's on Steam Greenlight, so that should give it a good player push.

Suriko on
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    still playing though I have been distracted by playing DAoC on Uthgard and taking a hit in motivation due to always soloing.

• Options
    going to be on for 3+ hours (damn my sleeping schedule is fuuucked) hanging out on vent in lobby 5 if anybody wants to join

• Options
    for those struggling with the economy (how? ffs)... free day of premium tomorrow
    This Sunday we give 24 hours of free Premium account for every War Thunder player.

From April 7th 06:00 GMT till April 8th 08:00 GMT (April 6th 11 pm PDT — April 8th 1am PDT) every logged-in War Thunder pilot immediately receive 24 hours of Premium account for free! For those pilots, who already use the Premium, the free Premium day simply added to their payed days.

Premium account could be purchased for the premium currency — Golden Eagles. Premium account gives you 200% XP points and 150% silver income for every online fight.

Test the advantages of Premium account for free!

See you in the War Thunder skies!

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I've been playing about 2-4 missions a day lately, rank 6 US/7 JPN. All I ever do is bombing though as I like to play with a joystick, but arcade battles mean the mouse is way better for dogfighting. I should do historic battles I guess but I've heard they take much much longer to start/finish.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Just got this, was thinking of trying out World of Tanks after watching Sidestrafe on Youtube but went with this instead.

I enjoy if so far, have only gotten level 2 on British air force though. Anyone has any good suggestions on what to spend experience and lions on, or is the game crap and I should go back to raiding tombs?

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying it alot. Just got my week ingame award yesterday, I'm like level 5 USA and like 2 Russian or something I think. I would recommend spending the initial gold eagles you get for beating the tutorial on crew training to get one of your crew's gunnery up. Like, the first one, the max number of trained gunners. If you aren't planning on using any bombers, though, just hold on to them until you get a handle of what stuff is important and what isn't, then use at your discretion.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    So is anyone here still playing this? The 1.31 patch just hit recently, and the game really looks like a Triple A title now. Lots of interface updates and fixes, stuff looks great. And squadrons are in now, too. I've been taking screen shots of random events in replays and such for friends that are on the fence, figure they might also entice some people here to give the game a try. The full album is here, and here's a couple of my favorite ones I've taken so far.

Spoiler'd for f'n huge.
    0mgNbiL.jpg
    tas4MAq.jpg

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten any attention since the game hit steam. As someone who's not really into flying games, the arcade mode of this is actually really fun. I've been playing as the russians, mainly because I really want to play as the IL-2. Anyone else pick it up recently?

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It's World of Tanks/Star Conflict. Tried playing it yesterday, but I personally don't like that kind of hangar/respawn system.

If you like those games, though, War Thunder will probably be fun for you.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So are the economy hijinks better or worse than Star Conflict because Gaijin kinda ran that game into derp town pretty hard.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HmudaHmuda "What other game lets you kill a Giant Spider and use its body to make soap?" - Dwarf Fortress Registered User regular
    Some would say that the game can become very grindy fast, but the actual heavy-duty grinding only kicks in around level 8-ish for each nation, and by that time you already have the planes that are fun to fly. This game should be played for fun instead of unlocking.

The biggest problem is unbalanced planes as the devs have a completely separate team dealing with Soviet planes and they tend to be OP compared to others (they seem to be moving in the right direction these days though).

So again, play this one for the joy, and not to have every plane collected. With that in mind, you won't find anything even close to be as fun as this one in terms of WW2 flight games right now. :)

Space Engine videos with appropriate music. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hmuda
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Yeah, War Thunder has the controls for arcade flying completely nailed down. The planes are easy to pick up and a joy to fly. WoWP on the other hand has disappointed me time and time again.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Hmuda wrote: »
    Some would say that the game can become very grindy fast, but the actual heavy-duty grinding only kicks in around level 8-ish for each nation, and by that time you already have the planes that are fun to fly. This game should be played for fun instead of unlocking.

The biggest problem is unbalanced planes as the devs have a completely separate team dealing with Soviet planes and they tend to be OP compared to others (they seem to be moving in the right direction these days though).

So again, play this one for the joy, and not to have every plane collected. With that in mind, you won't find anything even close to be as fun as this one in terms of WW2 flight games right now. :)

Why do they have a separate team of devs working on the Soviet planes? That's kind of odd

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Perhaps that's why I'm having so much fun/winning so much, by playing almost exclusively soviet :P

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I always go Soviet in these games so if they're OP then hooray for me!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Raslin wrote: »
    Perhaps that's why I'm having so much fun/winning so much, by playing almost exclusively soviet :P

Yeah, this is basically correct. Russian planes used to be fucking retarded to use scientific terms, and though the game's better than it used to be, it still has a way to go.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Could someone describe what the different nations are good at?

Edit: Or what 'reward' does in a game where you use several planes in one match.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    HmudaHmuda "What other game lets you kill a Giant Spider and use its body to make soap?" - Dwarf Fortress Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Could someone describe what the different nations are good at?

Edit: Or what 'reward' does in a game where you use several planes in one match.
    By reward, you mean that percentage stat? That shows how much money and XP you get compared to 100%. I guess that's to balance out the strengths and weaknesses of the planes. That way a bomber would get more for going after the ground targets, since he has a big multiplier for low-reward targets, but a fighter has a smaller reward stat, so he would have to go after enemy planes since vehicles would barely give anything (which also means that if bombers manage to take down a fighter, they get quite a hefty reward, since it's much harder for them).

As for nations: depends on the planes.

Brits have amazingly agile fighters, (Spitfires and Hurricanes), but they also have a very popular line of heavy fighters, which turns like a boat, but once you get something in your sights, it's pretty much dead (Beaufighters). But they also have energy-fighters, where you have to take advantage of height and momentum to have results (Typhoons).

The Germans seem to have lots of energy fighters, that are ill-suited for turning fights but are beasts when they have the power advantage.

US tend to have energy fighters as well, with a few exceptions. You would be better off diving on enemies than getting into a "who can turn faster" match.

Japan has some really maneuverable crafts, the Zeros can be deadly, just make sure you stay out of sight since they barely have any armor and will be shredded by a BB gun.

And the USSR is the easy mode of the game, they turn on a dime, pack a ridiculous amount of punch and are made of Sovietium and Stalinwood, which makes them hard to shoot down. Play these if you suck at the game. :D
    Darmak wrote: »
    Why do they have a separate team of devs working on the Soviet planes? That's kind of odd
    I think the russian team has access to classified plans and blueprints or something, and are forbidden to communicate with the other team that deals with the rest of the roster. Stupidest reason there is, but at least they try to explain the painfully obvious difference.

Hmuda on
    Space Engine videos with appropriate music. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hmuda
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I just want a B17 all ready. Gimme gimme gimme.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Are there enough people that play to form a Squadron?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    We'll design every plane ourselves! Except for the Russian ones. We'll let the Russians design the Russian planes.

Can't imagine what could possibly go wrong.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    FrederickDyversFrederickDyvers Registered User regular
    So I've been playing and enjoying this for awhile now, if any of you fine gents want to squad up, the in-game name is Dash_Bannon.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Man, how I want to like this game. I'm a huge WW2 aviation flight sim fan, but I can only get into sims that have full realism, no arcade stuff. Closed cockpit, full sim modeling and control, no icons. Sadly this game...is not very supportive of that style. Sigh. :(

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Isn't that what Historical mode is for?

I'm pretty sure they have a full realism mode

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Oh they do, but like noone plays it. :(

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I still really like historical as a compromise. Even if it isn't the full on sim, planes not being able to UFO you is nice. Not to mention the massive rewards.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Bumping this thread to get a current roster. I play as the Japanese.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    This game makes me deeply crave an adaptation of 1946, or at least Forgotten Battles + Pacific Fighters in the 'Dagor' engine.

• Options
    I'll be playing around 2pm eastern in vent. Would love some company.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I still play this from time to time, level 4 Americans. I wouldn't mind playing with other people too.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Level 8 Japanese

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    yeah tried to thrum up some interest in this awesome game some months ago. well worth the time as it is tons of fun..

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm playing, in fact my Planetside outfit is giving it a shot as a group on Sunday, so I'll report back and let you know how people like it. Its a lot of fun, but the main issue I'm having at the moment is my lack of rudder control. Or rather, my lack of fine rudder control. My joystick only has 2 axes, so I've bound A and D to the rudder. This means my rudder is either hard left or hard right, which naturally makes the plane judder around like crazy. Level 3 British, about to unlock the Spitfire MK1. Looking forward to the Beaufighter!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Alright, this might be common knowledge already, but its news to me, so I thought I'd share. I just figured out how the whole "free xp" thing works. When you finish matches you're awarded both regular XP that levels you up in a particular faction, and "free xp" which goes into a pool. From the pool, you can allocate it to whatever nation you like. The catch is the "free xp" is, ironically, the very opposite of free. You unlock it with eagles, which are the "premium" (buy it with real money) currency. Fortunately, the "exchange rate" doesn't seem to be too bad, and they throw 240 eagles at you just for finishing the tutorials. I seem to have amassed enough free XP and eagles to skip the next 2 levels if I want to do so. And I might, since then I can grab the Beaufighter right now. Of course once you've bribed your way to the next level, you still need to have the lions (non-premium currency) to actually buy the new planes.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I was recently informed of this game's existence, and it is far more engaging than the World of Warplanes beta counterpart. Mostly because there are actual objectives and planes other than fighters.

I am up to like rank 6 in the German line, but I still just keep my Stukas and the He 111 and He 112. And the crappy Italian plane. I would like to play more historical battles intead of arcade, but historical always gets me the incredibly lame Battle of Britain 'bomb the airfiled' mission which is flying for like 15 minutes to get shot by a team mate, have an AI Stuka crash into you or get shot down. The realistic missions from the Eastern front are more fun.

I just wish I knew more people playing so I could actually have some semblance of a wingman.

Also, since someone asked: I'm not well-versed in other nations, but Germany prioritized characteristics by speed, climbing ability and maneuverability.

The result is basically 'boom and zoom' fighting (...with the fighters); your objective is to 'bounce' on the enemy. After spawning/takeoff, climb until you are well above most of the fighting. Then find a target moving suitably (something you can dive on and pick up speed and still have enough room behind them to aim and fire). Try to be pretty close when you start firing (at least 400 m, closer is better); the 20 mm (and later 37 mm) cannon should decimate pretty much any fighter really quickly. Immediately pull up and use your speed to climb back up (don't try to sit behind the enemy or start turning to stay behind them). If they have a wingman, your best bet is to climb back up because - unless they dove from the height you were at - you'll be able to outpace them back up.

Traditional tactics while under attack were:
    Form a fighting circle (popular with Bf 109s); if an enemy gets on your tail there should be a friendly plane behind him pretty quickly).
    Climb instead of diving, especially if you have the speed or energy advantage. If you can get high enough that the enemy stalls out you'll be perfectly safe (not as viable in Arcade mode).
    Diving should basically be a last resort move. Any plane behind you can usually dive just as well, so you'll either want to dive to speed towards friendly forces, use obstacles/terrain to try to get your attacker to crash.
    Try to avoid flying straight ahead at all costs if you are under attack or think you are being tailed (spin, weave from side to side, etc.), one potential exception being if you're climbing back up for altitude and your speed will take you out of range.

Or I could give step by step instructions for making a Stuka run, but - aside from potentially needing the airbrake in Historical mode - you don't need to actually do anything. Dive down, point at target, drop bomb, go home.

• Options
    I love my Zeroes' ability to out turn enemies but damn if it doesn't feel like I'm in a paper airplane

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Alright, this might be common knowledge already, but its news to me, so I thought I'd share. I just figured out how the whole "free xp" thing works. When you finish matches you're awarded both regular XP that levels you up in a particular faction, and "free xp" which goes into a pool. From the pool, you can allocate it to whatever nation you like. The catch is the "free xp" is, ironically, the very opposite of free. You unlock it with eagles, which are the "premium" (buy it with real money) currency. Fortunately, the "exchange rate" doesn't seem to be too bad, and they throw 240 eagles at you just for finishing the tutorials. I seem to have amassed enough free XP and eagles to skip the next 2 levels if I want to do so. And I might, since then I can grab the Beaufighter right now. Of course once you've bribed your way to the next level, you still need to have the lions (non-premium currency) to actually buy the new planes.

I used my free Eagles to purchase additional hangar slots for 2 nations. if you like the game and keep on playing it the xp will accumulate no matter what. tbh I used to keep two nations (Russia because of imba tier 1 plane and Japan because I'd rather play anything but) low on their lvl in order to always have a full assortment of planes while the more expensive ones repaired automatically.

• Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I used my free Eagles to purchase additional hangar slots for 2 nations. if you like the game and keep on playing it the xp will accumulate no matter what. tbh I used to keep two nations (Russia because of imba tier 1 plane and Japan because I'd rather play anything but) low on their lvl in order to always have a full assortment of planes while the more expensive ones repaired automatically.

Basically I don't care about any planes other than the British ones at the moment, so it seemed like a good option for me. Now I have 2 spitfires, a hurricane, a bomber and a beaufighter. You know, real planes. All I'm lacking is a proper bomber, and I can replace my Beaufort with a Wellington when I next level up.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    The problem with playing Germany is that 90% of the historical/realism battles are the Battle of Britain over Dover and they are incredibly terrible for Germans. I've had one Bastogne or something as a Stuka and it was fantastic. Most of it is Spitfires and Hurricanes starting with height advantages over my He 110, He 111, He 112, Ju 87 or MC 202 with no airfield and an 8000 minute flight over the English Channel with bombers starting at 1500 m. Typical altitude was like 4000 to 5000 m, so that is also dumb.

This is basically the only flight game where I've preferred arcade-y style over realism.