As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

• Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    This actually seems pretty fun. Confusing though, and it's pretty obvious I'm not the only one out there flying who doesn't know shit, haha. Only lvl two, American, so far. I think I enjoy the plane damage model the most. Had a game tonight where my engine was shot out but I had lots of altitude, so I made it back to the airfield, circled till I was slow enough, then landed for a repair.

I think half of my deaths are from crashing into the ground, or the side of a mountain when I'm banking.

Haven't had much luck shooting down bombers though. Actually, it seems like I have a hard time shooting down anyone. My bullets don't seem to do much, and I can't tell when I'm actually hitting them.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    You'll get a hit notification (and some XP) when you do hit, so you'll know. And to start out, yes, you'll have trouble hitting things. I still do. Of course the Hurricane MkII has twelve machine-guns, so accuracy is a little less important when I'm flying that :D

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm really getting a kick out of what the game defines as "soft landing."

Coming to rest missing both wings and wrapped around a tree - and getting 150XP for being able to walk away from it - isn't going to get old soon.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I feel like I deserve more than 140 xp if I get my engine and fuel shot out and glide for like 6 minutes back to the airfield with no ailerons, using my rudder and elevator to nudge my nose and wing tip up so I could just barely touch down at the apron and roll over to the strip. But instead I get to sit around for 1:10 seconds waiting for my plane to be repaired (/climbing into a new equivalent plane or something). I don't even think it counts as 'activity' even though I had to hold the last remnants of my right aileron up to prevent me from rolling into oblivion.

I'm not even sure why I bother in Arcade mode. You lose so much time you could be shooting people down/dropping bombs on things.

President Rex on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Are you on now, Rex? I'm playing. DaMoonRulz in game

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I have being trying this.

I am the worst at planes.

• Options
    You were doing fine the other day. Whatever you unlocked so far?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I spent a few of my gold free stuff to get to rank 4 with the brits. Only played a few more matches from when we last played.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I know how to pilot mechs and tanks. I know I suck at planes, but I saw unthinkable playing this, and maybe if we get a few more oosiks, it might be pretty fun

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    oh flip, I missed two updates it seems. last played on 1.33. time to check patch notes.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I figured I'd try this game as part of my attempt to try all of the F2P games coming to PS4.

It's hella fun...I normally hate aviation games but this is a blast on arcade mode with my buddies. I've only got USSR up to like level 4, and have been stockpiling my Lions because I have no idea how to spend them. Other than buying crew (which I've already done) is there an obvious choice for what I should/shouldn't be doing? I'm still a little unclear on how the research->purchase->deploy->upgrade chain works and I'm reluctant to waste Lions on something stupid.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    like I said, I spent my Lions on extra hangar space. from time to time there are events where you can gain extra Lions so don't feel the need to spend them right now.

an extra hangar slot stays with you forever. even if you put a ridiculous double decker from tier 1 into that slot it will allow you to go on during a BG and get more assists and kills netting your more silver Lions and xp.

I got some extra gold Lions from an event and got extra slots for Germany/Brits/USA (iirc). I now have to be shot down 4 times every game I play with those nations except of only 3 times to be ousted from the game.

if you benefit from that might heavily depend upon your level and play style however.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Regular (silver) lions are used for repairs and rearming (generally if you use the non-standard equipment, like 1000 kg bombs on your Stuka). I believe the repairs also happen for free after a set time, but the game default has them set to pay for repairs automatically (I'm guessing when you launch the next game and not after you get out of a game).

You also use the silver lions to 'order' new planes (research tab). Basically the equivalent of buying a tank in World of Tanks.

You also use the silver lions to buy upgrades as your plane gains experience. You'll get a little notification in the post-battle stats when you unlock one. Just double click on the plane in your menu and it'll open up the window with all of the upgrades. You can also spend golden lions to pre-emptively research without the experience. Each of these upgrades usually increases the repair costs of your plane slightly. Also, virage time is turn time (I don't know why they call it to different things).

You can also use silver lions to purchase up to two additional hanger slots per army (10,000 and 50,000).

You'll (eventually) get 240 golden lions for free (otherwise you'll have to pay for more or get some from special events). You can use those to:

Buy more hanger slots.
    Upgrade planes sooner.
    Buy a talisman for a plane (increases experience gained)
    Buy a backup plane (lets you fly the same plane twice, i.e. if you get shot down)
    Buy premium time (2x experience and money from battles)
    Use free experience towards ranks in any of the armies.
    Buy premium planes (usually planes from another nation or slightly modified planes; they have an experience and money bonus)
    Buy crew skills (right click on a plane in your menu and select the crew...remember to do this after each/every few missions anyway, because you get crew experience just from flying, too)
    ...probably other stuff (I've only been playing for like 2 weeks, effectively.

Also, I fully support having or being a wingman. I am PresidentRex in-game and usually fly Arcade (because Germany gets hosed in historical missions and I am still terrible at leading targets without the indicator when not flying a bomber) with my highest tier close to a 6.

President Rex on
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    I have 450 gold eagles but I'm unsure what would be the best way to spend them. Suggestions?

My in game name is haeg, feel free to add me. I only play arcade at the moment.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I feel like I deserve more than 140 xp if I get my engine and fuel shot out and glide for like 6 minutes back to the airfield with no ailerons, using my rudder and elevator to nudge my nose and wing tip up so I could just barely touch down at the apron and roll over to the strip. But instead I get to sit around for 1:10 seconds waiting for my plane to be repaired (/climbing into a new equivalent plane or something). I don't even think it counts as 'activity' even though I had to hold the last remnants of my right aileron up to prevent me from rolling into oblivion.

I'm not even sure why I bother in Arcade mode. You lose so much time you could be shooting people down/dropping bombs on things.

I managed kind of the opposite of what you described; my ailerons and engine were fine, but that was it. No rudder, no elevator. The only way I could control my altitude was with the throttle. But somehow, I managed a near-perfect landing! Then I got strafed on the runway when the repairs are 10 seconds to completion. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    I usually try to rudder over to the control tower or a hangar for some semblance of protection. That may prove difficult without a rudder, though.

• Options
    I'm in love with the Hayabusa. NotoriusBEN kaliyama Unthinkable and I were doing level 3 queues (Kali just started last night) and my fully upgraded Hayabusa was cleaning up.

Fully upgraded it has a 30 m/s climb rate.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I just wish the punks i point my guns at and hit 15 times would fucking die.

Then I get a little nick, and I can't control my plane.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    HmudaHmuda "What other game lets you kill a Giant Spider and use its body to make soap?" - Dwarf Fortress Registered User regular

Just make sure when you try to shoot a ruskie plane down, you do it with cannons at the very least.

Even I'm embarrassed for the devs for just how ridiculously overpowered they are in terms of defense. Fly any other nation, and you better forget about your current target if someone gets behind you. Fly an IL-2? Keep at it, the one tailing you won't do jack.

Space Engine videos with appropriate music. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hmuda
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Anyone else playing this with a controller? I've got an xbox 360 controller, and I find it hard to keep my guns pointed where I want them to be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Or you take one hit from the front and the game is like "pilot's dead, lol".

• Options
    I wish I could agree and bro you, Mr Ray. You're singing to the choir with that statement.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »
    Anyone else playing this with a controller? I've got an xbox 360 controller, and I find it hard to keep my guns pointed where I want them to be.

Nah, KBAM here

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I wish I could agree and bro you, Mr Ray. You're singing to the choir with that statement.

To be fair I've done it to other people too, but waaaaay less often than it happens to me. Seems like either some people are crazy good and can pull off precision cockpit shots, or the game just hates me.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    ...I broke War Thunder for everyone by shooting down 8 people in a row with my Hurricane Mk 2.

• Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Started playing this last night, first game I had 3 kills.
    Moving from the 0-1 pool to the 2-3 pool is a big change.
    Feel free to add me: Keml0

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    ...I broke War Thunder for everyone by shooting down 8 people in a row with my Hurricane Mk 2.

Its a pretty decent plane, really. No cannons but 12 machine guns gives you a lot of opportunities for critical hits. Shame its also pretty slow.

• Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    God, the combat is a lot of fun. Sure, it sucks when you get your pilot one-shotted, but it incentivizes you to avoid head-on charges (which you'd avoid naturally IRL anyway). But the fact that you can take out systems makes for a real dynamic dogfight. No more "shot you down with 1HP LOLOL" BS, since a proper initial approach means you can damage control surfaces and hamper their counter-attack.

Also, since so many people fly with mouselook (including me): Make use of holding "Page Down" to fly a loop around a tailing fighter. Mouselook can't do a proper loop very easily (it auto-rolls the plane into an S-turn), and people forget about using the keyboard. Works for me just about every time.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I think I need to try with KBAM, I can't be as bad as I think I am. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KBAM really helps with evasion, because you can throw their lead aiming marker all over the place. Mouse alone basically lets you swing back and forth, but keyboard lets you do actual evasion. (I think by default) A and D let you roll. Rolling helps a lot, particularly against early planes because most of the weapons are wing-mounted, so if the enemy is right behind you it's harder to hit both wings at once. Q and E let you yaw left and right with the rudder, which can throw off enemy aiming reticles and slow you down.

Also, H is airbrake if your plane has one (useful for the Stuka, but really only in historical/realism if you don't want to shear your wings off). F is flaps (you may want to turn off "Instructor" for flaps control). Y is reload (for arcade; usually takes like 14-17 seconds for early MGs and 30 for cannons, so plan ahead accordingly). J is bale out (in case you don't want to wait to crash or spend 6 minutes flying back to the runway.

I hope they eventually incentivize keeping your crew alive, would probably cut down on the head-to-head combat and provide some benefit to spending 6 minutes of a 25 minute battle flying back to base (in Arcade).

• Options
    I hope they eventually incentivize keeping your crew alive, would probably cut down on the head-to-head combat and provide some benefit to spending 6 minutes of a 25 minute battle flying back to base (in Arcade).

I definitely think losing your plane should hurt a bit more, even in Arcade mode, and saving your crew/bailing out would be a cool way to mitigate that. What exactly are Lions for, anyway? You pay pretty nominal amounts for pretty much everything, and get a decent haul per match no matter how you perform in a game. Do the higher tier planes get uber expensive to repair/re-arm, like Star Conflict?

VT09mOz.png
  • Options

I definitely think losing your plane should hurt a bit more, even in Arcade mode, and saving your crew/bailing out would be a cool way to mitigate that. What exactly are Lions for, anyway? You pay pretty nominal amounts for pretty much everything, and get a decent haul per match no matter how you perform in a game. Do the higher tier planes get uber expensive to repair/re-arm, like Star Conflict?

They're expensive to buy and expensive to train a crew in.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I wish for Arcade they'd add in needing to land to unjam and re-load.

Could be neat to also have it cost your team more tickets if your crew doesn't make it out.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular

There's plenty of grind 8+, especially if you're not running premium.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Are the Italian aircraft any good? I always love playing the underdogs (i might download this tonight).

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Are the Italian aircraft any good? I always love playing the underdogs (i might download this tonight).

They're just sprinkled throughout the German tree I think. If you want an underdog go Japanese. They're the bee's knees, if you please.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Capsaicin wrote: »

They're just sprinkled throughout the German tree I think. If you want an underdog go Japanese. They're the bee's knees, if you please.

Not my style!

I'll go Germany/Italian!

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    The 202 Fulgore has a beautiful flight model, but weak guns. The other Italian planes suffer a similar fate. Still, they're the best choice until you unlock 109's. Also they let you avoid the atrocious 112's.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    For anyone curious about dogfighting tactics, check out this handy list. Your ass is still getting shot down, don't get me wrong, but now you can blame specific flight mechanics, rather than your own ineptitude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

I suggest reading in private, because you will be waving your hands around trying to visualize the maneuvers.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Alternative to maneuvers: Fly the Beaufighter and murder everything that dares cross your ponderous path for more than half a second.

Seriously I don't think I've ever had a burst not leave the enemy plane tumbling from those cannons and no ones bullets do shit. Last time I died in it three enemy fighters were tailing me hard.

Also I got my first accusation of ramming today after someone decided the way to get behind me was to slam on his brakes into my face. Naturally I was highly mature and used all my remaining lives to hunt him down and ram him repeatedly.