As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    For anyone curious about dogfighting tactics, check out this handy list. Your ass is still getting shot down, don't get me wrong, but now you can blame specific flight mechanics, rather than your own ineptitude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

I suggest reading in private, because you will be waving your hands around trying to visualize the maneuvers.

Protip: Learning how to properly wave your hands around to visualize maneuvers is actually the first thing they teach in fighter pilot school.
    It's the 3rd thing they teach in bomber pilot school.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    Ugh, Beaufighters. I don't even hear a shot if the pilot's half-decent, since the server probably decided I'm dead before the sound effects caught up with latency. Quad 20mm cannons will do that.

Anyone here do the Historical battle mode? Pulling it off feels so cool, but can be a net negative in Arcade mode, depending on the map. I wish finding a game didn't take so damn long.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Historical is fun but with the slower pace I only really care to do it if there's either an event I can take part in (events have fast queues atm) or we're in a group. I think the major difference for historical is simply how much of a difference altitude makes.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    well the trick to Heavy Fighters is don't get in their crosshairs. those babies turn like.... something that turns really bad but unleash hell like something that unleashes hell very well.

Heay Fighters are the game's counter versus bombers. regular fighters usually do not fare well against tail gunners. fighters take out fighters and heavy fighters (the latter usually from the side/above, nevver from behind. depending on the model ofc). heavy fighters take out anything that crosses their path and bombers with the odd ground target thrown in and bombers take out ground objectives and any fighters foolish enough to trail them.

that was my experience at least.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Beaufighters are absurd in AB, but the tables get turned in HB at least.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    For anyone curious about dogfighting tactics, check out this handy list. Your ass is still getting shot down, don't get me wrong, but now you can blame specific flight mechanics, rather than your own ineptitude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

I suggest reading in private, because you will be waving your hands around trying to visualize the maneuvers.

Protip: Learning how to properly wave your hands around to visualize maneuvers is actually the first thing they teach in fighter pilot school.
    It's the 3rd thing they teach in bomber pilot school.

Is riding the bomb like a cowboy the first thing they teach you then, or the second?

• Options
    Re: Walking away from ridiculous "soft landings"

Note the time to repair is about a minute in the lower left. PROOF the Hayabusa is the Honda Civic of the Skies, circa 1942.

wWKGnPK.jpg

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    The most noticeable thing I noticed in Historical Battles was the much improved realism of the planes. Not just the flight model where there's more flutter, actual stalls and such, but in AB my hurricanes are basically invincible, quick turning machines. But in HB, the engine sputters a bit when you go pitch straight forward for a dive (just like the actual plane, since it used a carburettor and the fuel wouldn't reach the engine due to negative g-forces for a moment).

I just wish there were somewhere more effective to train on deflection/leading.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Holy shit...you guys were right about the Beaufort. Also, the Hurricane. Britain's so fun; I may never leave the Level 3 bracket.

• Options
    Britain for life.

Also wait till you get the Beaufighter over the Beaufort. It's not just immortal but also has cannons on the front.

• Options
    Even though I'm terrible at it, bombing is hella fun. It has the fun mix of dropping death from the skies and trying to shake fighters while my bombs reload. People get SUPER butthurt about how much damage you can take too.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Britain for life.

Also wait till you get the Beaufighter over the Beaufort. It's not just immortal but also has cannons on the front.

Its not immortal when I'm flying it. My cockpit seems to be magnetic when I'm in the pilot's seat, or maybe its just the metal plate in my pilot's head. He got it from the last time he was shot in the head.

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Thank you @DaMoonRulz @Trask @VedicIntent @F3rret for showing me the ropes last night. It's a fun game. Grindy, but enjoyable once you get some Tier 1 aircraft.

My Air-Guidos are growing! I unlocked the MC.200s last night. I also unlocked both early JU-87s. Bombing is fun and easy. Though I couldn't get air brakes/siren to work.

The CR.42 is hilarious. So slow but pretty mauverable. Enemy fighters will usually overshoot you and you don't overshoot bombers. Though most bombers will just outright outrun you.

I just wish the Italian fighters had better armaments. I'm not sure what their redeming factors are, besides their coolest camo and cool looks (closed canopy? who needs that shit?!). Both a MC.200 and a G.50 varient can carry 50kg bombs with an upgrade. Are these powerful enough to take out medium tanks?

Capsaicin on
    capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I've got the day off today so I'll be around if anybody feels like thundering the wars

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Britain for life.

Its not immortal when I'm flying it. My cockpit seems to be magnetic when I'm in the pilot's seat, or maybe its just the metal plate in my pilot's head. He got it from the last time he was shot in the head.

I've had three people shooting at me and still manage to land without giving a fuck. Just pump that vitality stat and pray.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I'll be home on Friday late so I can pick back up then

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Britain for life.

I've had three people shooting at me and still manage to land without giving a fuck. Just pump that vitality stat and pray.

Can someone explain how training ground crew works? I understand that you get skill points to put into crew. Do they keep those points you put in them if you assign a new plane to them?

Also, how is it that certain crew get accustomed to a specific aircraft? Does it change?

• Options
    AFAIK you just put points and that crew slot always has them. There's definitely no loss for switching the plane their flying (unlike world of tanks) so just pump in the points wherever you feel you want them.

• Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    I just wish the Italian fighters had better armaments. I'm not sure what their redeming factors are, besides their coolest camo and cool looks (closed canopy? who needs that shit?!). Both a MC.200 and a G.50 varient can carry 50kg bombs with an upgrade. Are these powerful enough to take out medium tanks?

50kgs could probably take out a light tank, but you really don't want to be fitting them on a fighter. Even after dropping the bomb the pylon still affects your agility some. AA, Arty, and APCs can still be taken out with your MGs instead.

Oh, and if you haven't yet, make sure you have your fuel set to minimum. It makes a huge difference.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Also, what's the deal with the Skilled Gunner seat? I get 1 by default, but do I seriously have to save all my points to buy another one?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Number of skilled gunners / number of gunners on the plane = effectiveness %.

Honestly having gone back and forth between fully skilled and default I can't tell the difference :?

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Avynte wrote: »

50kgs could probably take out a light tank, but you really don't want to be fitting them on a fighter. Even after dropping the bomb the pylon still affects your agility some. AA, Arty, and APCs can still be taken out with your MGs instead.

Oh, and if you haven't yet, make sure you have your fuel set to minimum. It makes a huge difference.

I didn't even know you could do that!

• Options
    http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/21314-ground-targets-guide-by-sliver/

Useful charts on what you can kill with what ordanance. Apparently the 50kg bombs on my Flying-Wops CAN kill heavy tanks!

Also, a version of my favorite underdog, the CR.42ter was able to mount another pair of 12.7mm SAFAT mgs on the wings for a total of 4. That'd be nice!

• Options
    I didn't know about the fuel thing either - holy crap.

Also, reading the War Thunder "official wiki," it looks like a stealth MG belt loadout could be really effective on British planes. "Stealth" just means nothing tracer/HE, so it's almost all armor-piercing: AP/AP/AP-I/AP-I/I

Penetration = more crit chances on engine blocks and closed cockpits. You won't get as many fuel fires, though.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Thank you @DaMoonRulz @Trask @VedicIntent @F3rret for showing me the ropes last night. It's a fun game. Grindy, but enjoyable once you get some Tier 1 aircraft.

My Air-Guidos are growing! I unlocked the MC.200s last night. I also unlocked both early JU-87s. Bombing is fun and easy. Though I couldn't get air brakes/siren to work.

The CR.42 is hilarious. So slow but pretty mauverable. Enemy fighters will usually overshoot you and you don't overshoot bombers. Though most bombers will just outright outrun you.

The only early plane I know of to have an airbrake is the Stuka and it's basically only intended for diving and won't do much until you're going like 400 km/h.

Siren is sort of similar. The Jericho trumpet was only installed on early Stukas (because it basically did nothing other than provide material for propaganda reels because people got used to it). The only one in-game that has it is the Ju 87 B-2. Go for the propaganda attack: Fly at at least 2000 m, roll 180 and pull up on the stick (...roll 180 and point straight at the ground) and once you get to like 450 km/s you'll hear it start up. I don't think there's actually a way to turn on the Sturzflugautomatik automatic dive recovery mechanism.

• Options
    Only the divebombers will have the airbrakes. In arcade mode they don't make much of a difference since the flight model is so forgiving.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    When you have an even number of bombs, do they drop in pairs or individually?

Also when you finish a skin challenge, can you apply that camo to any number of planes? My Eyetalians need their lend-lease german equipment to be painted proper.

• Options
    I didn't know about the fuel thing either - holy crap.

Also, reading the War Thunder "official wiki," it looks like a stealth MG belt loadout could be really effective on British planes. "Stealth" just means nothing tracer/HE, so it's almost all armor-piercing: AP/AP/AP-I/AP-I/I

Penetration = more crit chances on engine blocks and closed cockpits. You won't get as many fuel fires, though.

The 'Lion' cost of these belts, is it a one time cost, or once per reload or once per match? Are they really that beneficial?

• Options

Also when you finish a skin challenge, can you apply that camo to any number of planes? My Eyetalians need their lend-lease german equipment to be painted proper.

The skins are for a specific plane. You drop bombs individually

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

NO! I need Italian camo for my JU-87s!

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

If you have two types (like in the stuka, 250kg and 4x 50kg), what order do they drop in?

• Options
    Okay, so I definitely need to figure out where to shoot bombers more effectively. I unloaded around 5,000 7.62mm rounds into a Japanese H6K, and the bastard kept flying. Granted, most were in his fuselage, but come on.

Go for wings and engines I guess? There aren't many cannons going on in tier 2-3, so bomber huntng with MGs is kind of a pain.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Okay, so I definitely need to figure out where to shoot bombers more effectively. I unloaded around 5,000 7.62mm rounds into a Japanese H6K, and the bastard kept flying. Granted, most were in his fuselage, but come on.

Go for wings and engines I guess? There aren't many cannons going on in tier 2-3, so bomber huntng with MGs is kind of a pain.

Do you have upgraded ammo? I was experiencing the same thing last night and plan to play with different ammo belts to see if the works better.

Though I still don't know how purchasing it works.

I've also read on the official forums that wings are the best place to shoot since that's where the fuel is. Also the recommend HE for fighters and AP for bombers. Depending on what you are flying, you may only have AP (and varients there of) because you only have rifle caliber machine guns.

• Options
    Engines are your best option with MGs. Wing roots are solid too with cannons. Try to do slashing attacks from above or below and from an angle so you're not chewing into the tail solely. Though if you can nail the elevators that's a death sentence.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I switched to Mouse Aim today, and it's like I'm playing a completely different game! Now I can kill things!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Use kb and mouse together. Depending on the sensitivity you put the keys to, you can have hard evasive moves on the keyboard, and fine control with the mouse. You'll be ahead of 60% of the other players at rank 3-

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    yeah mouse and the ability to loop or hard bank are amazing in the beginning. I just have it set up so that WASD is up/down left/right like in just about any game.

also worth noticing is that controlling your speed and/or height can set you apart a lot. trailing someone you do not have to be a top speed. you want them in your sweet spot (not talking about where the guns converge as Arcade does not care about this but the point where you can keep them in your line of fire easily) and not overtake them or lose them, slowing down is ok.

height is also an adantage. diving down, doing a strafe and being able to take that speed to get back up again will stiffle many counterattacks.

• Options
    One thing that really helped me, and it sounds stupid, is to spend a match or two avoiding getting shot. Just go right into the fray and work exclusively on evading people, it'll really give you a feel for how forgiving some planes are and how much time/space/speed you need to get out of there when shit hits the fan.