As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock & 2] - SHODAN's Liberation Is At Hand

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It'd cost $10 to upload that to DropBox. Google Drive would work, I think the cap is 5 GB.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It'd cost $10 to upload that to DropBox. Google Drive would work, I think the cap is 5 GB.

I didn't sleep well, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

The file he's talking about is ~500 MB.

It's roughly 1000 MB to a GB.

the free DropBox starts with 2 GB of space (and with referrals and such I have 5).

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I was thinking I'd have to use a filelocker site, which tend to be sketch. I didn't know if those kinds of links would be a no-no around here.

Currently uploading it to my Google Drive. Though if there are alternative mirror options available, that might be a good thing. I've never really made a file public on my Google Drive before, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

VuIBhrs.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Okay, uploaded to my Drive. I hope this works. Here it is.

This zip file contains all the recommended mods from systemshock.org. Those include:
    • 1. SHTUP (object textures upgrade)
    • 2. ADaoB (bug fixing and rebalancing)
    • 3. SHMUP (original music, better quality)
    • 4. Rebirth (new enemy models)
    • 5. Four Hundred (environment texture upgrade)
    • 6. Tacticool (weapon model replacements for Wrench, Pistol, Laser Pistol, Grenade Launcher, Assault Rifle, and Shotgun)
    • 7. Eldron Psi Amp (model upgrade)
    • 8. Vurt's Space Textures (for nice window views)
    • 9. Vurt's Goo (organics)

To set these up, all you should need to do is unzip the contents of this archive to /DataPermMods. Make sure there are files in /DataPermMods, and that you haven't unzipped to a subdirectory in there. I think the zip spews out all the mod files into a parent subdirectory, so just copy the contents of that completely to /DataPermMods and leave the empt folder behind.

One quick way to verify that the mods are running is to start a new game and approach one of the dataphones after you step off the tram. If you can read the text, then SHTUP is running correctly, at the very least.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited February 2013
    Added to the OP

Tamin on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'd last played this two years ago, so it's a great excuse for a revisit. I actually forgot how unnerving the early stages are before you have enough modules to beef yourself up.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    One of my favorite things about Bioshock was that horrible meaty sound the wrench made when you hit a person. I actually felt bad about using it.

Is the wrench as good in this game?

dN0T6ur.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    the free DropBox starts with 2 GB of space (and with referrals and such I have 5).
    Oh, derp, when I first signed up for DropBox it was like 100 MB or something. I didn't realize I had so much space.
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Is the wrench as good in this game?
    The wrench is civilization, at least until you find the laser sword.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah, you find the lightsaber, then realize your meele skill is crap :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The sound design, people, the sound design.
    it still haunts me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    The matrons...they haunt me with there robotic tits.

XERXES. UNKNOWN HOSTILE, THIS LOCATION

VuIBhrs.png
    Humm..Xerxes...that would make a pretty evil character name too..

Can we also take a moment out to recognize the most fantastic music that System Shock 1 gave us?

But seriously, I've been replaying SS1, and the music that actually plays during your attempts to clear out the groves is hauntingly awesome. That part of the game is extremely tense, and the music really helps set the atmosphere.

VuIBhrs.png
    I love the cyberspace songs in SS1

camo_sig2.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I said I wouldn't be a broken record about this but... uh... [Removed] is back online.

Sterica on
    Here we go, SS1 cyberspace music
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnUgO_NSvk

camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2013
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited February 2013
    I said I wouldn't be a broken record about this but... uh... redacted is back online.

Hey. Hey people.

Listen to TychoCelchuuu. Seriously.

OP'd

Tamin on
    Won't the first System Shock kill me? I was never any good at the old direction key shooters, and I don't know if mouse look would really help.

dN0T6ur.png
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    man isn't this SS2 game great guys?

;D

also monkeys. every time I hear that noise I can't help but get jumpy.

the mods really make this game look great. it doesn't even feel that old playing it again.

Xantus on
    People have been posting about it based on the assumption that @Tube said it was okay

So let's just ask him

dN0T6ur.png
    edited February 2013
    Xantus wrote: »
    I said I wouldn't be a broken record about this but... uh... [removed] is back online.

Hey. Hey people.

Listen to TychoCelchuuu. Seriously.

OP'd

I thought a mod said that SSP was basically piracy? don't wanna see the thread closed...

I made a note. If it's bad, I'll take it out. But, according to the GOG thread, it's considered kosher.

Tamin on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    What Wyborn said is the best idea. Ask some mods about it, instead of assuming it's okay or going off of secondhand info.

JtgVX0H.png
    A'ight. Unless and until a mod says it's ok, no more talking about it!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I went and asked all the mods so hopefully we'll get a reply soon.

JtgVX0H.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    The System Shock franchise is one of my all time favorites. Everything about the games is designed to just pull you into that world and they both do such an amazing job of it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Won't the first System Shock kill me? I was never any good at the old direction key shooters, and I don't know if mouse look would really help.

Shit I don't even remember if SS1 had mouselook. It had this strange, complex control scheme spawned back when WASD wasn't a standard thing. Though I remember it being very similar to Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, another Looking Glass joint, and having played the latter, going back to SS1 wasn't too bad.

Speaking of which, Terra Nova fuckin owns.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Terra Nova totally owned. I played the hell out of the demo, too. It's horribly dated now, but back in 1996 (seventeen years ago, dang), running around in that vast polygonal landscape (seen through your armor's visor) was like Skyrim or something.

The warp-speed graphic on the first page of this thread reminds me of one of the sillier aspects of SS2's plot, though:
    The Tau Ceti system is 12 light years from Earth. Beta Grove, with the mutant seeds of what will become the Many aboard, makes it there in 40. That means that when the Hacker jettisons the Grove from Citadel, it must be traveling at roughly one-quarter of the speed of light. And manages to hit a planet, in all that emptiness, at that speed, and is somehow not utterly destroyed.

Commander Zoom on
    Darmak wrote: »
    I went and asked all the mods so hopefully we'll get a reply soon.

thanks

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Shit I don't even remember if SS1 had mouselook. It had this strange, complex control scheme spawned back when WASD wasn't a standard thing. Though I remember it being very similar to Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, another Looking Glass joint, and having played the latter, going back to SS1 wasn't too bad.

Not quite...

It had something similar to the sequel with toggling between it's two modes.
    One was moving the cursor over the entire screen, able to manipulate anything (anything in the view area as well as inventory and your MFDs) and the other was combat where your cursor was restricted to the main view area, but was for targeting your weapon only.

newSig.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm saying to hold off on the SSP mod until I get confirmation from Tube that it's okay.

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm saying to hold off on the SSP mod until I get confirmation from Tube that it's okay.

Your wish is my command.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Wait what...ummm. I don't think that's right.

Am I Supposed to be encountering monkeys in the first area? Cause I just encountered a monkey.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    Wait what...ummm. I don't think that's right.

Am I Supposed to be encountering monkeys in the first area? Cause I just encountered a monkey.

I guess it depends on what you mean by the "first area"

There are something like 3 monkeys in the immediate vicinity of the elevator / Xerxes tower area, yes

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

I guess it depends on what you mean by the "first area"

There are something like 3 monkeys in the immediate vicinity of the elevator / Xerxes tower area, yes

Oh. Okay. Yeah, I'm still around there. I just don't remember monkeys there.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited February 2013
    The manual has a couple of "while we were making the game" anecdotes; one of them mentions the monkeys.

They shared a codebase with the guys developing Thief, and occasionally they would inherit strange bugs - like monkeys who blocked melee attacks with an invisible sword!

Tamin on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Does SSP run without an original purchase?

edited February 2013
    Nocren wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Not quite...

It had something similar to the sequel with toggling between it's two modes.
    One was moving the cursor over the entire screen, able to manipulate anything (anything in the view area as well as inventory and your MFDs) and the other was combat where your cursor was restricted to the main view area, but was for targeting your weapon only.

Actually, the original game only one control mode, not two. It had a sort of half-baked mouseaim in place. You had a cursor that you could use to aim and interact with the world, but your view/facing/movement was only altered via the use of keys (ASXD for cardinal direction movement, Z and C for turning). You could use the mouse to move if you held it at a specific place at the border of the screen and clicked (and held), but the regions for 'sidestep left' and 'turn left' were ambiguous and hard to intuitively nail down. There was never a 'restricted' view/aim mode in the game natively. The original controls were a mess.

The 'two modes' option with decent mouselook was patched/hacked into the game by a fan in the late 2000s. It makes the game infinitely more playable. You can patch it into an existing game, or it's included in SSP.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    Tube wrote: »
    Does SSP run without an original purchase?

Yes, according to the website it includes "the complete original English game of System Shock."

Which, in my view, makes it piracy.