Options

Mechwarrior Online: PGI is on a roll and May is gonna rock. CTD hotfix is out!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just some confirmation, but yeah, no changes to any weapons. Popped on for a couple of matches and my last one ended with me in a Wang with 100% rear CT armor of 20, then getting cored in a single shot from behind by a PPC Stalker. PPC poptarting still completely rampant, and PPCs are still ubiquitous and ridiculous on everything from assaults down to Ravens and Spiders.

Not surprised at all, but still, pretty disappointing. I'm starting to think this is like when streaks were ridiculous and it was because the lead devs just flat didn't realize how bullshit the game balance was until they actually played against loads of streaks.

Also, hit detection and targeting have gone completely wonky. Mechs are staying targeted after destruction, destructions are delayed a few seconds between when the hit lands on you and you get destroyed, and solid hits are registering as misses. Something got borked up on a technical level here.

Pretty weak patch, overall. Color changes for Hero mechs work, though, which is a little something.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    BillGates wrote: »
    Oh, and the misery gets a bonus to acceleration and turning. Wonder if thats just in general or only with the engine equipped on it upon purchase.

Well, at least I told you so.

Told us what?
    Also, hit detection and targeting have gone completely wonky. Mechs are staying targeted after destruction, destructions are delayed a few seconds between when the hit lands on you and you get destroyed, and solid hits are registering as misses. Something got borked up on a technical level here.

One step forward, two steps back. Ho-hum.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    New skin looks really good. This is one of the screens from the patcher (for those of you at work):

yKSIvl0.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Told us what?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    m93CxCP.png?1

I was okay with the pink, but this is such an incredible improvement.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Oh, and the misery gets a bonus to acceleration and turning. Wonder if thats just in general or only with the engine equipped on it upon purchase.

Told us what?

It's really not worth it. I promise you. :(

It will only result in another 3 pages of BS.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Told us what?

Two things, one, it only has 1 launcher slot, I don't know why the mechlab was setup with two.

And 2, arguable the most important, P2W. Regardless of much or little it is, it's a flat out advantage now. I would bit my tongue if it was just the one hardpoint, but it's not.

BillGates on
    Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options

Told us what?

No, really, I want to hear him tell us about how he was clearly right all along when he claimed the Misery would be game-breaking and mark the beginning of MWO's P2W doom...even though it's even worse than we predicted it would be when we all showed him how it was nothing special at all.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    No no but it has 10% increases to acceleration and turning rate guys, it's totally P2W.

Because, you know, Stalkers are all about maneuverability. 10% of a small number is just an even smaller number, dude.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ouch, no balance changes, not even a slight tuning to PPC's. I was kinda hoping for a little something.

Told who what? Minor tweaks beyond regular Stalkers like that were expected. Most of us figured it would be a bigger engine ala Pretty Baby or the Heavy Metal. Instead it got a Turn bonus. And in return, it has possibly the shittiest of hard point sets of any Stalker. And remember, it's a 10% bonus on top of what it had. 110% of crap still tends to be crap most of the time.

I'm going to have to look up at what ratio Engine size effects turn speed, but being able to put a 325 and the extra heatsink in there would have been a lot stronger than whatever turn bonus they got. If that's the worst they do with a premium, we're fine.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I like how Mvrck and I used almost the same analogy about the turning stuff xD

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    After a week of MWO, I have to say PPCs are reminding me a lot of the early days of CS when AWMs were pretty rampant. What makes it worse than CS is that while AWMs were near-useless when it came to infighting, PPCs, especially ER-PPCs, are still quite powerful and annoying at close range. Also, it might just be me and my horrible memory, but prior to MWO I do not recall having seen light mechs mount PPCs in the previous Mechwarrior games...

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Told us what?

No, really, I want to hear him tell us about how he was clearly right all along when he claimed the Misery would be game-breaking and mark the beginning of MWO's P2W doom...even though it's even worse than we predicted it would be when we all showed him how it was nothing special at all.

Fair enough, don't say I didn't warn you.

Hope you brought some aspirin.

I for one am looking forward to giving it a spin, regardless of whether it is OP or UP. It looks cool and I can hopefully blow things up, which ultimately are all I care about :D

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Regardless of how little or how much, it's a advantage, flat out, to deny that is, amusing to say the least. Yes, 10% can make a difference.

The only thing I can think of why they did this was probably 2 things, 1, because eventually clan or faction tech will give these little quirks of bonuses and what not, and they are just using Hero mechs as a test bed to see how it functions.

Or two, they are flatout better so people will spend there money on outrageous costs.

I hope it's the former.

Edit - If it's case one then I'm okay with the advantages because eventually everyone will be able to get them. If it's two, then well, no.

BillGates on
    Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
  • Options
    Akilae wrote: »
    After a week of MWO, I have to say PPCs are reminding me a lot of the early days of CS when AWMs were pretty rampant. What makes it worse than CS is that while AWMs were near-useless when it came to infighting, PPCs, especially ER-PPCs, are still quite powerful and annoying at close range. Also, it might just be me and my horrible memory, but prior to MWO I do not recall having seen light mechs mount PPCs in the previous Mechwarrior games...

The Puma mounted two PPCs (ERPPCs? I forget) as standard, but it's a Clan mech.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ouch, no balance changes, not even a slight tuning to PPC's. I was kinda hoping for a little something.

aZ3Myqj.jpg

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    You say the Misery has an advantage now, BillGates.

Over what, exactly?

• Options
    edited May 2013

Told us what?

Two things, one, it only has 1 launcher slot, I don't know why the mechlab was setup with two.

And 2, arguable the most important, P2W. Regardless of much or little it is, it's a flat out advantage now. I would bit my tongue if it was just the one hardpoint, but it's not.

You are hilarious. No, really, this is laughable. The Misery is actually a weaker variant than everybody expected it would be when we all pointed out to you that best case it was a crapper AS7-RS; we figured it would have two missile hardpoints and it only has one.

So what's your smoking gun here? The tiny acceleration/turning bonus? You do realize that Hero 'mechs have had unique handing characteristics before, right? This is nothing new. Hell, there are even differences in handling characteristics between different variants of the non-Hero 'mechs (the STK-3F toros twists farther than the others, for example).

The Misery is a middle of the road to good Stalker variant, better than the 4N which is by far the worst but not as good as the 3F which is still the best one. It offers an option for people who are absolutely determined for whatever reason to put a ballistic weapon on a Stalker, which is a niche build at best, and every other arcehetypal build for a Stalker can be achieved on one of the other variants as well or better. There is no unique advantage or P2W factor to it at all. Its capabilities are equalled or well exceeded by many 'mechs in the game anybody can get for free.

Again: laughable.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Regardless of how little or how much, it's a advantage, flat out, to deny that is, amusing to say the least. Yes, 10% can make a difference.

Or two, they are flatout better so people will spend there money on outrageous costs.

Just to clarify: Are you not OK with Pretty Baby's and Heavy Metals being able to rock larger engines as well? Cause we brought that up before and you kinda shrugged it off if I recall correctly.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

The only thing I can think of why they did this was probably 2 things, 1, because eventually clan or faction tech will give these little quirks of bonuses and what not, and they are just using Hero mechs as a test bed to see how it functions.

I hope it's the former.

Edit - If it's case one then I'm okay with the advantages because eventually everyone will be able to get them. If it's two, then well, no.

holy crap. before we enter skim the page mode because of retarded crap starts, have the cbill stalkers even had their quirks put in place yet? or is the Misery the only one with a quirk so far.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Higher engine ratings are definitely waaaaay better than small tweaks to already piss poor stats on a slow mech.

• Options

I hope it's the former.

holy crap. before we enter skim the page mode because of retarded crap starts, have the cbill stalkers even had their quirks put in place yet? or is the Misery the only one with a quirk so far.

The STK-3F torso twists substantially farther than the other variants and always has. Stalkers have always had variant quirks to that extent, what other ones they may gain in the future is of course anybody's guess.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Higher engine ratings are definitely waaaaay better than small tweaks to already piss poor stats on a slow mech.

Yep. I run a 300 on my STK-3F because I feel having an extra 10kp/h over the other assaults on the battlefield gives me a bit of an edge. Being able to fit a bigger engine than other Stalkers on the Misery would have at least been a bonus worth considering. 10% turning and acceleration aren't really going to do jack for me if I'm still topped out at a 310, and are IMO not nearly as important to me as the extra twist range I get in the 3F.

• Options
    edited May 2013

Told us what?

You are hilarious. No, really, this is laughable. The Misery is actually a weaker variant than everybody expected it would be when we all pointed out to you that best case it was a crapper AS7-RS because we figured it would have two missile hardpoints and it only has one.

So what's your smoking gun here? The tiny acceleration/turning bonus? You do realize that Hero 'mechs have had unique handing characteristics before, right? This is nothing new. Hell, there are even differences in handling characteristics between different variants of the non-Hero 'mechs (the STK-3F toros twists farther than the others, for example).

The Misery is a middle of the road to good Stalker variant, better than the 4N which is by far the worst but probably not as good as the 3F which is still the best one. There is no unique advantage or P2W factor to it at all. Its capabilities are equalled or well exceeded by many 'mechs in the game anybody can get for free.

Again: laughable.

Yes you are correct, there are quirks among variants, however no Hero variants thus far have offered acceleration changes, with the exception of the PB. The AWS series in general though is pretty meh. Only max changes such as twisting as you described, the whole point of countering STKS is the ability to simply out maneuver them when you could, such as in a DRG, or a JR7.

This change makes it so while it is not impossible, it reduces the weakness of the STK chassis. If you go through all the other Hero variants, they simply increase the max usage of something, such as max turning, max torso twist, never a acceleration increase, max engine rating (PB excluded). Or in the YLW case, a rare hardpoint.

They are small quirks yes, but the point is they are small advantages. Regardless of how you feel at this point it's a fact, this advantage being more major then other quirks because it actually reduces the weakness of the STK variants. You could argue the other max torso changes are advantages on STK's as well, and this is true they are, however, I personally would take acceleration then max. I personally feel, it's a more serious issue.

I don't know how you feel which is more important, the max torso or the increase in torso. But as I said earlier, this could all just be using us as a dummy test to see how clan/faction tech will affect mechs. With the bonus of making the Hero mechs more appealing.

Who knows.

BillGates on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    the Muromets has never looked so good!

5jfXcTB.png

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Only max changes such as twisting as you described, the whole point of countering STKS is the ability to simply out maneuver them when you could, such as in a DRG, or a JR7.

Yes, Dragons and Jenners will have fits outmaneuvering the Misery I'm sure.
    If you go through all the other Hero variants, they simply increase the max usage of something, such as max turning, max torso twist, never a acceleration increase, max engine rating.

So a slight increase in the maximum limit of one particular stat is arbitrarily a bigger deal than a slight increase in the maximum limit of any other stat because you arbitrarily say so because we need to stipulate that to prop up the unsupportable position you're committed to.

Got it.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Just to clarify: Are you not OK with Pretty Baby's and Heavy Metals being able to rock larger engines as well? Cause we brought that up before and you kinda shrugged it off if I recall correctly.

Its got a odd trade off, by fitting a bigger engine you have to fit less weapons or armor, so in the end it more comes down to better customization and play style then a flat out bonus. The same with the PB.

But there are no repercussions for having an increase in turning and acceleration, at least none that I can think of.

• Options
    Show of hands who here has ever said to themselves "Man I totally would have won that game/not died if my Stalker only accelerated a little faster."

• Options
    Only max changes such as twisting as you described, the whole point of countering STKS is the ability to simply out maneuver them when you could, such as in a DRG, or a JR7.

If you go through all the other Hero variants, they simply increase the max usage of something, such as max turning, max torso twist, never a acceleration increase, max engine rating.

So a slight increase in the maximum limit of one particular stat is arbitrarily a bigger deal than a slight increase in the maximum limit of any other stat because you arbitrarily say so because we need to stipulate that to prop up the unsupportable position you're committed to.

Got it.

That's not the point, the point is it's closing the weakness that they have. They are just generally making it better, there are no trade offs.

The second point is your opinion compared to mine, if you feel that way then so be it.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Show of hands who here has ever said to themselves "Man I totally would have won that game/not died if my Stalker only accelerated a little faster."

No one, ever, in the history of the game.

Next BillGates is going to argue that all the efficiencies should be free because a Mastered chassis has such an advantage over someone who's just starting in a new chassis.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options

Got it.

That's not the point, the point is it's closing the weakness that they have. They are just generally making it better, there are no trade offs.

The tradeoff is the Misery has shit hardpoints. Even shittier hardpoints than we anticipated back when the basis of your argument was that its hardpoints were so good that it would be game-breaking.
    The second point is your opinion compared to mine, if you feel that way then so be it.

Your opinion is that an increase in the limit of one stat is different from an increase in the limit of others. The burden of proof falls on you to show how that is the case. If you don't feel like it, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't expect anybody else to credit it with any validity. Just like I am not much inclined to credit any of yours with any validity now.

• Options

Regardless if you feel it or not does change the fact that it's there.

I understand most of you don't agree with me, and that's fine that you don't. You don't consider it a big enough advantage to make it worthwhile, that is your prerogative.

But the fact is it is a advantage, no matter how big or small. It is unlike other quirks that you get with a engine size rating. It's just flat out better. There are other non-MC variants that grant those quirks as well, but you can purchase them with C-Bills, not MC.

You could argue the engine rating increase acceleration and turning yes this is true, but its at the expense of weight.

• Options
    I started to argue and realized I have no desire to go down this road. BillGates is a gooseking.

• Options
    But the fact is it is a advantage, no matter how big or small. It is unlike other quirks that you get with a engine size rating. It's just flat out better. There are other non-MC variants that grant those quirks as well, but you can purchase them with C-Bills, not MC.

OK folks, let's see if Bill ever realizes/acknowledges that the statement he just made completely undermines his entire case that the Misery grants a unique, P2W advantage.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    the Muromets has never looked so good!

5jfXcTB.png

Minty fresh

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I started to argue and realized I have no desire to go down this road. BillGates is a gooseking.

Really this whole thing has been instructive because it's changed my feelings about Bill from, "Bill is an intelligent guy but he's stubborn and tends to cling to arguments in an arrogant kind of way for much too long" to "Bill is a silly goose whose opinion is not to be taken seriously in general."

• Options

Got it.

The tradeoff is the Misery has shit hardpoints. Even shittier hardpoints than we anticipated back when the basis of your argument was that its hardpoints were so good that it would be game-breaking.

Your opinion is that an increase in the limit of one stat is different from an increase in the limit of others. The burden of proof falls on you to show how that is the case. If you don't feel like it, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't expect anybody else to credit it with any validity. Just like I am not much inclined to credit any of yours with any validity now.

Shittier hard points is down to opinion, it does have good hardpoints. 1 M, 1 B and 5 E is a pretty balanced loadout.

As i said above,

• Options
    edited May 2013

OK folks, let's see if Bill ever realizes/acknowledges that the statement he just made completely undermines his entire case that the Misery grants a unique, P2W advantage.

As stated earlier, acceleration, not max. No C-Bill mechs offer acceleration. none

So nice try, but no.

Edit- I should been more specific in my statement, i'll be sure to be more specific to not cause any more confusion.

There are other non-MC variants that grant those quirks AT THE EXPENSE OF SOMETHING ELSE, and only max usage, never acceleration of something else, but you can purchase them with C-Bills, not MC.

BillGates on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Note to self: If I'm ever in a Stalker and I see a Misery, I should just hit the power-down button and save myself the humiliation of being beaten by someone who payed for the better mech.

This discussion has been closed.