As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Being [TRANS] Is Like Working In A Fish Market

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

If I'm reading this right, he revealed that she was running a scam to pay for surgery, and the revealing of the scam necessitated revealing that she was transgender? I mean, you're not supposed to out people but you're also super not supposed to scam them. I feel bad for her because she's clearly in a really bad mental state, but it sounds like this is a horrible, messy situation rather than one guy fucking something up. And I fucking hate destructoid so.

He could have revealed that she was actually raising money for medical issues that weren't immediately life-threatening without outing her as trans or even specifying what those medical issues were. He clearly doesn't give a fuck about what the social consequences of publicly outing someone as trans as a response to their suicide attempt might be. One could argue that he wanted to punish her for lying and defrauding people, but even that's not it; given the timing of the piece, it's apparent that he really just wanted to punish her for getting him involved by threatening to commit suicide if they exposed her. He's not on any moral fucking high ground here.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Jesus that is a long wait, Fuzzles.

Still, glad to hear you finally got in and it sounds like you've got awesome people to work with.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »

If I'm reading this right, he revealed that she was running a scam to pay for surgery, and the revealing of the scam necessitated revealing that she was transgender? I mean, you're not supposed to out people but you're also super not supposed to scam them. I feel bad for her because she's clearly in a really bad mental state, but it sounds like this is a horrible, messy situation rather than one guy fucking something up. And I fucking hate destructoid so.

He could have revealed that she was actually raising money for medical issues that weren't immediately life-threatening without outing her as trans or even specifying what those medical issues were. He clearly doesn't give a fuck about what the social consequences of publicly outing someone as trans as a response to their suicide attempt might be. One could argue that he wanted to punish her for lying and defrauding people, but even that's not it; given the timing of the piece, it's apparent that he really just wanted to punish her for getting him involved by threatening to commit suicide if they exposed her. He's not on any moral fucking high ground here.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. I believe that that guy, and the other reporter over on reddit, honestly thought they were making the right call.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. I believe that that guy, and the other reporter over on reddit, honestly thought they were making the right call.

that doesn't mean they get a pass

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

that doesn't mean they get a pass

ok? It means that he didn't talk her out of suicide and then later "wanted to punish her" because she tried again, like was being asserted.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    because you can say something, doesn't mean you should

sometimes you should keep your big fucking mouth shut

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    A rule of endless utility in my own life.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    i don't fault her at all

a wounded animal may have to gnaw off its own limbs to survive

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

I contacts her school, helped her find temporary help, but she (I should say he) is a lost cause. Wouldn't believe people would accept her.
    If you are seriously angry at me for calling her a "HE" you can screw off. He is a he in real life. I supported her. Telling the truth now.
    I wanted Chloe to have the community and courage to step out, sans operation. It didn't happen. Online, yes, she is a her. I wish her well.
    Yes, I told the truth. I'm not the guy that flushes down the Boston bombers laptop because we are friends.
    However, when a NeoGAF member said she is alive, I felt an obligation to tell the truth. With IndieGoGo and Twitch TV community harmed by her actions, colleagues suggesting I tell the truth, and seeing NeoGAF's outpouring of grief over her false story, I decided it was time I told the truth. She was hurting everyone around her, virtually and physically, and I didn't want to be a part of that. She turned her back on me and others that were offering her a way out and covering up her scam (is there anything more unethical as a journalist?), only to attempt suicide.

As I suspected, I couldn't save her as she doesn't want anyone's help beyond surgery -- and if you know transgender persons, as I have through friends and family, you'll know that surgery isn't everything, there is a psychological transformation that needs to occur before that. But Chloe only wanted the surgery. Not the support or advice. I hope this has changed.
    I hate that I had to out her nature and troubles, but I hope you can see now that I couldn't not mention these things if I were to tell the truth. I didn't want to make up lies to protect her lies. That's not who I am as a professional or person. If she had listened to her teacher and not put herself in the public eye, this never would have happened. I hope someone somewhere learns something from this.

Now, Chloe is in some hospital. She will eventually know that we know she is a liar, a scammer, and transgender. I hate that the truth came out, and I hate even more that she would risk all of this after her friends, myself and her teacher told her not to. She just didn't trust that people would support her for who she is. I told her I do and I still do. Even after the awful things she has done -- scamming good people and broadcasting her suicide -- I have a place in my heart to help her.

This goes beyond stupidity. This attitude is incredibly self-centered and punitive.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    What a shithead.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What a wiener.

edit: in case the above is too PG-13 for you

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    here's a post from the indiestone board, that codifies why i'm making this my next medium difficulty piece:

Not that is matters, since the Indigogo thing went totally tits up, but I came across this interesting piece of software;

http://stealthserver01.ece.stevens-tech.edu/gendercreatetext?count=47826

It claims to be able to discern both the gender of the person who wrote the text you input and also the general reliability of the text (i.e. if the text was designed to mislead or deceive). Science in Action!

I chose to analyze this text;
    Quote:
    Indiegogo deemed my page too high risk to resume funding, so they're refunding everything.

I was in a dark place, I was so close, I had a knife pushed to my stomach, but a very good person managed to talk me down. The feeling was intense. I can't even describe it, it was like I was drunk, like chemicals where whirring around in my head, it was surreal.

Things are not going to be the same. I need to do some serious thinking and think of what to do next. Everything will be alright.

I'm sorry.

The result? Male with 58.87% certainty.
    I then chose to test the same text for reliablity.
    The result? Deceptive. Although it did not give a particular deceptive cue or deception level.

A little skeptical that a silly little piece of code could correctly identify the intentions and gender of a person simply by analyzing wording, syntax etc... I then thought to do a control test.

This text is from Mash;
    Quote:
    I'm not a fan of any diet that eliminates healthy things like (most) fruit Your body needs carbs to function properly and for long-term health, it's just that all sources of carbs are not created equal. If you want a healthy diet that is realistic to keep to and will have long-lasting effects, take a look at the GI Diet http://gidiet.com/canada/about.html. The website is rather lame-looking, but the diet was developed by a cardiologist and the head of the Heart and Stroke foundation of Ontario, and was recommended to me by my endocrinologist.

A few years back I had to lose weight due to some health problems, and I lost and have kept off 30 pounds, with some minor fluctuations. I've found that the main things that helped me are to reduce portion sizes (after a while your body will adjust and you'll feel full on less), listen to your body (stop eating when you're satisfied, not when you're stuffed) and eat frequent, but smaller, meals.

The results? Female 57.62% certainty & normal (i.e. not deceptive)...

This is good old Cap'n Binky;
    Quote:
    It's almost certainly because the mods (and the rest of the closed testers) are the people most familiar with what parts of the map are unfinished - and so therefore, the least likely to wander into "dodgily mapped out unfinished" areas and also most likely to have explored every nook and cranny of what *is* finished (well, finished in the alpha sense that is).

Male 60.30% & normal

Here is Lemmy;
    Quote:
    Plunkies - there's a very broad and obvious line between making constructive criticism or airing disappointments, and making unreasonably and intentionally hateful remarks about stuff people have put months of work into.

I read this immediately after seeing your reply in another thread that danced this line only slightly better, but I still found a little unwarranted.

I gave you a warning. If you're not happy with the build, either tone down on the trolly comments and deliver your grievances in a more constructive and less insulting manner, or kindly leave until the game is more complete.

Male 64.06% & normal

Now - this, at least on the surface, indicates a modicum or reliability, no? Well...

Here is Chloe again;
    Quote:
    I need to nip this in the bud before this gets out of hand, again.
    1 there are reasons why private medical records are considered private. Id really not want my personal information floating all over the internet, as I'm very reclusive. The people that need to know have all the information.
    2 yes, indiegogo does take a percentage (9% for not meeting the goal, 4% if I do) but regardless, you also need to remember that they are a business in a sue happy country, there is no reason why they would risk harboring and promoting a fraudulent campaign for a few thousand dollars. Once I was flagged, the page u was frozen until I gave them the evidence required.
    3 that's a terrible idea for a scam, almost a caricature. Tbh if I wanted to scam someone, id keep the amount negligibly small, use a fairly common problem (like cancer), and not throw out my 12 year career as an indie developer that was just starting to take off.
    4 please don't lead with your conclusion. If you're going to attempt to pick on me for not giving out personal info, then at least be consistant and start asking everyone else asking for donations for medical issues on indiegogo, you might find some people more than willing to share, but I'm sure many people will be taken back.

This wasn't directed at you necessarily, but more for anyone else that would like to jump to conclusions. Absence of information is not evidence of abscence, and if you don't know something, you're statement has to end there. To suggest anything further is making an argument from ignorance, all skeptics need to know this.

Thank you for your kind words and support everyone else.

Results? Neutral Gender, 96.64% certainty and deceptive.

AHA! I thought... So I tested again, from a completely unrelated thread;
    Quote:
    Actually the first comment was supposed to be sarcastic, my bad XD.
    And forgive me if I sounded negative towards 3D, but yes, 2D would be my comfort zone. I on occasion use a image distortion technique (kind of like the simple rotation/translate papercut out style on steroids) that takes it's information from a template. It takes a bit of time to set up, but once it's set up I can swap out the templates at anytime, making it super easy to edit. But again, that's where I'm comfortable, you could probably whip up new character models just as quickly. I wasn't trying to make it sound like my way is better, I've always been an advocate of "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

As for the rest of you claiming that girls don't play video games... where are you getting your statistics? The 1980's? (Warning, I only took the time to do statistics on America) The current statistics do state around 40-42%. If you don't believe that, you should probably try meeting more girls. Plus, about 72% of Americans play video games, assuming that every single male plays video games, only 49.2% of the American population is male. Granted, I haven't been able to find any site I consider to be completely trustworthy, no one seems to say anything other, so the only real conclusion you can draw from any of this is "Who gives a fuck?"

Female, 58.00% & deceptive.

My conclusions?

1) Although the test is by no means infallible & I probably didn't do enough control experiments to check the accuracy of the results, I conclude that Chloe is more than likely a girl. A girl with butch writing tendencies. Oh, and I would most definitely not lend her money.

2) Science, like pimping, is hard. Science Fact.

Good day!

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If she had listened to her teacher and not put herself in the public eye, this never would have happened. I hope someone somewhere learns something from this.

Yes, what they'll all learn is that if they just hadn't been so (gay/flamboyant/gender deviant/trans/willing to act like who they are) this wouldn't have happened! What do you mean, victim blaming? Just don't act so deviant jeez

SCIENCE FACT from Anjin's post says that my posts are "The Gender Of The Author Who Wrote This File is: male 59.10%" "File Status: deceptive Deceptive Cue: pronoun"

cabsy on
  • Options
    what the fuck kind of writing scale determines what's male and female writing

holy goddamn shit
    am I reading that correctly

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    why would someone engage in that behavior

its not like she encountered gatekeeping and people knowing "what was best for her" before and after suicide attempts

its not like material conditions keep her down

its not like a bunch of people wait in the wings to leap down and dig into her personal dealings like goddamn vultures

its not as though there's inherent mistrust of transgendered as decievers

i'd do what she did in a heartbeat. i did a few crowdfunding things in my time, and yeah i choose to be upfront about things given how this sorta shit goes and the capacity to be thrown to the wolves

there's nothing decent or honorable in reveling in this person's pain or punishing them for wanting a better life

the truth is she wouldn't have gotten a goddamn dime near what she did given how goddamn hostile people are to trans women

i mean, this kinda codifies that

good job, detective dipshits of reddit. good job destructoid nerd, you backed a mentally unstable person with nothing to lose into a goddamn corner. you should call the cops too, just to take this to its bleak conclusion

justice is served

• Options
    its dishonorable to prey upon the desperate, and the weak

what the fuck is wrong with people

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    They check to see if the person dots their i's with live hearts.

Dead set giveaway.

• Options
    i went to the doctor today, for example

i need a letter from a therapist proving i've been living as a woman well enough to get HRT

this is why i want to fucking break the neck of anybody not going what i'm going through, telling me they best know how to go through what i'm going through properly

• Options
    i hope none of you are never that desperate, i hope you never get to know how that feels

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    This whole thing just pisses me right off.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am not saying you need to live as your identified sex before hormones is the right way to go about it, but how many people try it and don't go through with it?

Also Anjin I saw your story about how you chose your name and its incredibly sweet.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I went to a therapist for a few months a couple years ago

she basically refused to talk about my trans issues, focusing entirely on my anxiety and depression

i went through five different meds after being referred to a psychiatrist who prescribed them based on her advice, and they either didnt help or made me feel worse

and then i find out after the fact, a year later, when i asked for a letter from the therapist to help me with school stuff at college because of my grades sinking because i couldnt leave my dorm because of anxiety and depression, in the letter it said that the therapist thought i was autistic

she never once brought this up in any of my sessions and i have no idea if she made that up to help my case or thought that and didnt tell me

Antimatter on
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    i went to the doctor today, for example

i need a letter from a therapist proving i've been living as a woman well enough to get HRT

"Doc, I've tried my best to live as a woman but I just can't hack it. I seem to succeed six days out of seven but every weekend I have this inexplicable urge to wear a polo shirt and go down to the bar for poker night"

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    I sure hope going to the bar for poker night doesn't make me more dudely. I'll play the shit out of some poker.

• Options
    why did she do what she did

in the same breath as saying "a big part of severe depression some trans people have is due to not having the means to live as the preferred gender" my doctor also literally said "there are a lot of hoops you're going to have to jump through"

gotta love the american medical system

• Options
    I dunno. I think the RLE thing is total bullshit. All I had to do was see a therapist for six months. I didn't even need a damn letter. I wonder why there's so much disparity in treatment from one doctor to another. Isn't that kind of shit the reason why the standards of care exist in the first place?

Seems like everyone just does whatever-the-fuck.

• Options
    My doctor, for example, all but refuses to test my blood testosterone levels to make sure my antiandrogen dosage is adequate, and I have never had my estrogen levels tested ever. They've all just been like "Here, that oughtta do ya. Call me if you have a stroke."

followed on the next appointment by "Oh it's not working? Okay we'll double the dosage."

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's why it's important for trans people to stick together. Use sites like Susans.org to let each other know about resources and doctors who'll actually give a shit about you as a patient.

Speaking of which, I walked in to the planned parenthood in Fresno, ca and walked out with prescriptions.

Shit in the way of any other kind of care, though.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I'll take "Signs you need to find another doctor before they kill you" for $800, Alex.

• Options
    the doctor I found didn't even ask for a therapist's note

she just wanted to see my blood work, and did the "Okay, you know what this does, right?" Q&A

wish I knew that earlier, 'cause I would have been on it six months sooner

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I sure hope going to the bar for poker night doesn't make me more dudely. I'll play the shit out of some poker.

I'm sure the half-dozen women I played poker with during law school would say "fuck you, poker is a woman's game too"

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I would be down for playing poker with some ladies

not even implying anything sexual or whatever here

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Anjin-San wrote: »

I'm a cis-woman and this makes me angry. What does "living as a woman" supposed to mean, anyway? Quite often, they demand that transfolk follow 1950s gender stereotypes to "prove" that they're "really" that gender. I don't wear jewelry, I don't care about fashion, I like science and video games and other male-stereotyped nerdy things, and I'm a woman. A lack of lipstick and a significant absence of a purse collection should not define mine or anyone else's gender. It's a matter of self-identity, not behavior (beyond like, going to whatever counts as the proper gendered bathroom or...that's all I've got). But then transwomen with what might be called tomboyish tendencies (like someone I know who's in graduate school for mechanical engineering) are told they're not *real* women, under criteria that would make me not a woman.

This is not to say that if you want to be like that, you can't. You do what you want. That's the point. But many of these doctors...I don't know if they just don't realize how much their personal prejudices are getting in the way of thinking or they're trying to be dicks towards people they find icky.

• Options
    Well, you could TDOT.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

LIQUOR IN THE FRONT AM I RIGHT

oh god kill me

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

TDOT, you don't get TF2 items when you win poker in real life.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

but-

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    actually while you're in there replacing the larynx just go ahead and rip everything else out, replace it with a modular system

swap in that chest or these legs with those arms
    different product lines of different shape and proportions
    gender and physical identity defined by capitalism oh no I've gone somewhere terrifying help

oh man I wish! Replace my dumb digestive system with one that doesn't have (occasionally crippling) IBS and they have all my moneys. Bonus if it plays mp3s and I can charge my phone in it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Speaking of which, I walked in to the planned parenthood in Fresno, ca and walked out with prescriptions.

I did this in Santa Cruz.

Planned Parenthood really pulled through, there. The doctor is amazing and pretty much operates on a "when it comes to this, patient knows best" model.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

well actually...

This discussion has been closed.