As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So the [Duel of Champions] CCG is pretty fun.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Premium gives more shiny cards. Useless except for high end achievements.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Man won 5 in a row and went from 1 to 160 elo but then lost my 6th in a drawn out match where I was close to winning but made a couple mistakes and one where I misclicked and chose the wrong resource that caused me to not play a card that could have won the game for me...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I've recently learned that I do, in fact, hate playing against Nergal and incorporeal creatures.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    woo my last daily is 95 seals, which is awesome because that means im 1 level away from my 2nd Herald box instead of 2

there is a hoser vs nergal, the light spell purity

good old nerg can't even dispel

also if you aren't playing graveyard return 2-4 void keepers fit into pretty much every other deck

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Ha after winning those 5 I've lost the last 5 matches... Dropped my Elo down to 30. Think I need to finally go ahead and buy a box of something. On the positive side I think my daily rewards are better this week. 2 tournament tickets and gold so far.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    ...I think I've been encountering bots. Just played a couple players who did nothing but end turn.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    ...I think I've been encountering bots. Just played a couple players who did nothing but end turn.

That sounds like people intentionally losing to tank their ELO

• Options
    I need to figure out a rush deck, you get almost the same gold for a 6 min game as you do a 20 min game.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    TheSmacker wrote: »
    doomybear wrote: »

That sounds like people intentionally losing to tank their ELO

They don't realize there's a surrender button, do they?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Aren't there some conditions where one player gains Elo while the other stays neutral? I swear I've seen this, especially on fast surrenders.

Also, if I'm still playing an inferno deck, should I keep opening regular packs, or is there an expansion I should get? So far I've mostly just improved on the base deck, which has been enough to drift me towards 650 Elo, but I have started to see epic spells and such on my enemies, and I wanted to step back and figure out what I should build before I keep playing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    There are gold farming bots out there. Usually they use the hero that can discard a card to deal 1 damage to their opponent, and have it automated to just do that every turn. That way they get some gold every match, even though it isn't much.

• Options
    greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    so I've run into 3 bots in a row now. its kind of cheesy and irritating: one guy just increments abilities non-stop and another guy discards cards to do damage to my hero, and I'd swear that I've run into both of them multiple times in the past week since I started playing.

I wish there were a way to report them from the interface but i don't see any such mechanism.

• Options
    So the 2nd void box was a bit disappointing. Was really hoping for a haven or sanctuary hero and instead i got a duplicate adar-malik. I did get silent death but that is such a meh spell I'm debating whether or not I should bother including it. Since this is about the best that my deck is going to get I'm going to start some swiss tournaments when I have time. Here is the deck

tuned necro

It is meant to be a slower deck that takes advantage of Malik's graveyard power to "out creature" the opponent in the late (12+ mana) game. Several board wipes/aoe prevent early rushes and give me the opportunity to "clean house" to start my roll.

One weakness is Purity since a lot of my creatures use poison. The major weakness is Light of Tomorrow which is pretty much a guaranteed loss, but I've only seen it once.

Tuning questions:
    Silent death vs soulreaver. Silent death is slow and its main weakness is that it gives the opponent's creature a turn to act before it works. Removing silent death would also free up a creature slot since I would get rid of a magic peddler. On the other hand 2 magic peddlers pretty much guarantees I will have access to forbidden flame which is such a spectacular spell and is clutch against "rush" decks. Also could replace a death seal with a soulreaver.

Another question is lamasu vs angry wyvern. Lamasu is better offensively but has 1 less health and retaliation. There have been several situations where a 7 health drop would have immensely helped vs a 6 health drop. If I were to make the switch then I would probably need to re-tune to move away from poison entirely.

Let me know what you guys think.

• Options
    jelifahjelifah Registered User regular
    I played all 3 starter decks and Inferno appears to be the strongest. Haven looks like the faction that suffers the most from an untuned deck, and is also the faction that is most punished by AOE.

I started a week ago, thanks to the Penny Arcade post and code, and chose Haven. Really enjoyed myself and like the playstyle. This is the first CCG I've seen using 'lanes' since SWCCG. Man I miss that game, objectives and unique movie specific locations that had modifiers on them!

I zoomed past 501 pretty quickly, and spent all my gold on packs saving seals. It's a little more wicked above 501, but not horrible. It's probably against the EULA or whatever but I went and created 2 new accounts to try the other 2 starter decks, abuse the daily login, and see if the promo codes give me something crazy useful out of the packs.

With no card trading, and me unwilling to give the company money for dice rolls, I don't see an easier/cheaper solution to determine what style or deck type I want.

• Options
    I ran into the discard a card to deal damage bot last night for the first time. Can't seem to break above 160 elo currently. Gonna make another pass at streamlining my deck and actually get it down to 59 cards... Guess I also should see if I have decent enough cards to make something besides my inferno deck as I picked up 2 more hero's with the Herald of the Void box I opened.

What's everyone's thoughts on XP boosts? Are they worth buying? Does the increases in leveling speed make up for their seals cost?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gah don't buy boosts, unless you want to support ubisoft and pay real money you should just use your seals on boxes, you will level eventually no need to rush it

all leveling gets you is the gold + seals reward and the achievement bonuses

at level 13 with all the codes and initial pve seals you have 2700 seals, add in a couple of 7 day rewards to push you to 2800 which is enough for 2 herald boxes

then spend all your gold on reinforcement packs or if you are absolutely committed to a particular hero buy his starter deck instead of 3.5 packs. Remember you get a stronghold hero after completing the campaign.

Hopefully they will release more pve stuff soon to earn more lewt

• Options
    My question was whether buying the XP boost with seals I've already earned if I'd net more seals as a result of leveling in a shorter amount of time? Then I could buy a second box sooner...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    My question was whether buying the XP boost with seals I've already earned if I'd net more seals as a result of leveling in a shorter amount of time? Then I could buy a second box sooner...

The seals come slower as you level, so no, not really. Plus you'd be reducing your total access to free seals ultimately, because there's a level cap.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ya know at this point I'd actually think about buying some cards with real money but this is Ubisoft and I don't trust them with any payment info after the latest security breach. Is there anyway to buy from them without having to give them credit card info?

Edit: Does the IPad version connect to the same account as PC? If so then I could buy seals that way with less risk.

Edit 2: NM $39 for 3000 seals seems a bit ridiculous for a digital card game with no trading.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I paid for some seals ($30.00) to support the game because I play it a lot. I did it during their sale, so it wasn't a bad deal at all.

Also, just this morning before work I finally managed to get all 16 of the starter heroes. I got 75k gold, 3 small packs, and 1 reinforcement pack for my troubles. I am 2 cards away from completing the base set, which would get me another 1000 seals.

Then I can move on to buying premium herald packs for a while.

• Options
    I paid for some seals ($30.00) to support the game because I play it a lot. I did it during their sale, so it wasn't a bad deal at all.

Also, just this morning before work I finally managed to get all 16 of the starter heroes. I got 75k gold, 3 small packs, and 1 reinforcement pack for my troubles. I am 2 cards away from completing the base set, which would get me another 1000 seals.

Then I can move on to buying premium herald packs for a while.

Is there some way to see which cards, or how many cards, I'm missing besides digging around the achievements tab. When I am in card view I keep scanning around for some total card count thing, like they do for your deck, but never see anything.

I really really really, no really, want some sort of binder view where I could see ALL the cards by type in Alphabetical (don't think they do numerical). In that view I would then want to see what I'm missing, just by making it grey. I know I could look at card lists online, but that just seems like something that should be inside the game to be easily viewed.

• Options
    Ya know at this point I'd actually think about buying some cards with real money but this is Ubisoft and I don't trust them with any payment info after the latest security breach. Is there anyway to buy from them without having to give them credit card info?

Edit: Does the IPad version connect to the same account as PC? If so then I could buy seals that way with less risk.

Edit 2: NM $39 for 3000 seals seems a bit ridiculous for a digital card game with no trading.

Even though you added Edit 2, I'd like to point out that yes the iPad version connects to the same account as the PC. It scares me to think how much time I would lose if I brought my iPad to work or if the game worked on my Android Phone.

• Options
    The deck builder/ card display is pretty shoddy if you ask me.. Right clicked zoomed in all the in is the only way you can actually read the card text. There is a lot of wasted space in the interface that could be used to display the cards better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I use a custom Google docs spreadsheet to track how many of each card I have, including how many premium cards I have (they're related to achievements). I stop counting if I have more than 4 of them, since it's a pain to update each card you get.

If you go to the official forums and search on 'spreadsheet' you can probably find the thread with the link.

• Options
    Oh wow just played a game on my lunch break where I actually ran out of cards. He had one final card to draw and needed to kill me that turn as he only had 1 life left( I had 7). And that last card was a spell that wiped all my guys and won him the game...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The deck builder/ card display is pretty shoddy if you ask me.. Right clicked zoomed in all the in is the only way you can actually read the card text. There is a lot of wasted space in the interface that could be used to display the cards better.

You mean you don't like 5 options in the top Right? or a big fat play button at the top that dumps you to 4 options? or a bottom left that consists of 4-5 options? Or how about the news section that isn't hyperlinked to articles?

• Options
    Just a tip: If any of you are planning on working on the build a deck of the base set using premium cards only achievement (500 seals reward), keep an eye on the infernal pit for any premium base set event cards. They are the bottleneck. Even after pulling 3 of them out of the infernal pit, I still only have 5 out of 8, and I have like 200 premium cards from the first set.

• Options
    A nice person surrendered on my 10th game so I got the decimator achievement. Only 5 small packs but hey cards is cards.

In those packs the only interesting card I got was another shadow image. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the spell. Even though the "image" is trivial to remove the effect is really nice. With the quicken you can almost guarantee it will remove an enemy creature basically making it a better version of deathseeker.

I have 1 in my deck and while it has been useful it isn't a gamewinner unlike fireball. I don't think I would put the 2nd one in my deck and would probably remove the first one if I got a 4th fireball or 2nd firestorm.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shadow image is one of the better spells in the game, especially considering the meta of creatures that die to themselves.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Shadow image is one of the better spells in the game, especially considering the meta of creatures that die to themselves.

Shadow image is why I stopped playing Inferno. Stronghold creatures pretty much all have retaliation and more HP than damage, so they are MUCH safer vs. that spell.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So I have a shiny Nergal now. Any tips for constructing a deck out of mostly crap for those guys? I'll gut my inferno deck for neutrals if need be.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Better not forget it tomorrow.

Clipboard01.png

• Options
    That's I good seal haul... I think I'm only getting 95 seals this week.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    As my elo increases I'm noticing more and more global enchants. Which means playing without primal and dispel access is kind of a losing situation.

• Options
    Free pack of HotV code.

THANK5-4-THE-F4CEBOOK-LUV

• Options
    Free pack of HotV code.

THANK5-4-THE-F4CEBOOK-LUV

So awesome I actually got 5 cards from that free pack that could be used in my Inferno deck and my rare was Void Keeper.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nice ty for code...unfortunately my rare was "blood of my tribe" like my 3rd one, have no idea how to make it useful

• Options
    nice ty for code...unfortunately my rare was "blood of my tribe" like my 3rd one, have no idea how to make it useful

It's pretty useless. The only conceivable use for it I can think of is using 4x Blackskull War Chieftain. (Has attack/retal equal to your might score). The problem is that there is so much instant kill/control removal in the game that you wouldn't really be able to use that combo effectively, so yeah, it's a dead rare.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm almost at 1k elo now, after that I'm going for the highlander deck and the all herald deck achievements

after THOSE I guess I'll be confident enough in my deck to risk tournament tickets, the question is do I go swiss or jackpot and what is are the chances of doing well/winning?

edit: hit 1k, now at 802 owned cards, im still holding out for 1k before I hit the infernal pit, but once you start 5k is forever out of reach :)

rembrandtqeinstein on