As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So the [Duel of Champions] CCG is pretty fun.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    jogernaut wrote: »
    New redeem code for a reinforcement pack:
    D4nke-fur-4lle

Didn't get anything useful or anything new. Hope you guys have better luck.

Nice, I got a Firestorm. I love opening a pack and seeing that last card highlighted in yellow meaning I have a new epic or rare that I was missing.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    jogernaut wrote: »
    New redeem code for a reinforcement pack:
    D4nke-fur-4lle

Didn't get anything useful or anything new. Hope you guys have better luck.

Got a vampire lord in that pack but thanks for the code.

As crazy as it is I'm thinking of saving up 125k to buy the clashing tides deck just for the Pao. The cyclops is also fine but it seems like every "higher level" deck needs at least 3 Paos.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I'd probably just buy 10 packs of base myself... Although I've already got 3 Pao's. I think I got one of the three in a small pack though actually.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    If you'll play this game long term it's a really bad investment to buy the starter decks. I have 8 Paos (2 foil) and I don't use any in my main deck and don't miss them.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Heh I just bought another pack and poof it came with a Pao. Being able to grab 2 of them w/ Atropos makes a big difference.

edit: hit level 41 to score my 5th herald box. Mixed results, no heros which is quite sad. Got light of tomorrow which is great, unfortunately I only have the gimpy sandalphon to play it with. Scored 2 namtaru channelers completing my herald necro collection. The game RLLY wants me to to play necro apparently.

Rare list:
    namtaru channeler x2
    altar of wishes
    void keeper (great card, let me beat an throne/tower deck by denying him inheritance)
    battle trance
    turncoats :(
    offensive stance
    light of tomorrow
    unmei kami
    cosmic balance (my 4th)

assuming I get at least 35 seals in my end of week bonus I'm looking at 6th box at level 50, or possibly saving for expansion (September ?)

the necro achievement gave me an emilio's pack whose rare was shadow image making it my 3rd
    also apparently there will be a herald hero in the pit on friday, polls are close and looking like either adar (boo have 2) or dham (yay)

edit2: dham won! friday for 12 hours (unsure which 12) dham will be in the infernal pit

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    current rude deck I'm using to climb elo, I've beaten several 1300-1500 ELO players w/ this deck and it has several really rude combos

banshee bounce

It is a "rich man's deck" that relies on 3-4 banshees to work.

The idea is that you stall w/ trees and incorporeals in the early game until you get 7+mana and 6 might. Then you start to take over the board. The low number of creatures means it is vulnerable to weenie rushes if you get a creature-light draw. Early game is when fleshbane's boost really helps letting you use untamed wraiths and ghosts as chump blockers early on. Spiders are used vs early magic shooters. The tutors help you get the enablers (banshee, broken bridge, atropos, paos) and the revised tactics flush the cheap creatures once you get to the late game.

Once you get your mana base the fun starts. One of the most evil thing you can do is use necromantic transfer on a banshee to pull atropos out of your graveyard, THEN use atropos to pull the banshee you sacrificed back into your hand. If you have both atropos and a banshee you can use seria's last order to pull the banshee, kill something, attack with it, sacrifice it using transfer, pop atropos back on the board and pull the banshee back.

And banshees give no hoots about spell ward or ward against darkness. I don't have all the cards I want, like 4 broken bridges or more asha uses alls, but the current deck is a blast to run.

• Options
    current rude deck I'm using to climb elo, I've beaten several 1300-1500 ELO players w/ this deck and it has several really rude combos

banshee bounce

It is a "rich man's deck" that relies on 3-4 banshees to work.

The idea is that you stall w/ trees and incorporeals in the early game until you get 7+mana and 6 might. Then you start to take over the board. The low number of creatures means it is vulnerable to weenie rushes if you get a creature-light draw. Early game is when fleshbane's boost really helps letting you use untamed wraiths and ghosts as chump blockers early on. Spiders are used vs early magic shooters. The tutors help you get the enablers (banshee, broken bridge, atropos, paos) and the revised tactics flush the cheap creatures once you get to the late game.

Once you get your mana base the fun starts. One of the most evil thing you can do is use necromantic transfer on a banshee to pull atropos out of your graveyard, THEN use atropos to pull the banshee you sacrificed back into your hand. If you have both atropos and a banshee you can use seria's last order to pull the banshee, kill something, attack with it, sacrifice it using transfer, pop atropos back on the board and pull the banshee back.

And banshees give no hoots about spell ward or ward against darkness. I don't have all the cards I want, like 4 broken bridges or more asha uses alls, but the current deck is a blast to run.

Hey wanna send me a friend request in game(Incindium) and we can play some practice matches with my Inferno rush against your deck. Also I still need the practice match achievement still so we could swap back and forth conceding matches if you still need it as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i sent a friend request, my uplay name is "crotulus"

also I just pulled ANOTHER banshee in my level 42 pack.....so thats kind of nuts

• Options
    I'm level 140ish and still only have 2 banshees

• Options
    PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    Is there any way to tell how many players are participating in a Jackpot tournament? I just tried my first one after picking up my fourth Ravager and it shows my ranking, but not seeing what the overall number is.

Also, if anyone (@rembrandtqeinstein , @Incindium , whoever) needs the practice win achievement, hip me up in game (EvilCthulhu) or by PM as I need it too.

Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You just gotta scroll down to the bottom of the leaderboard list(it's annoying I know). Top 30% make it to Tier 5 from what I understand. I've just been getting enough elo to be comfortably in the top 30%...

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dhamira in infernal pit! get her NAO, 10 more hours I think.

• Options

I got her already when I got my last Herald box... Speaking of epic uniques there is no reason to keeps dupes right? They are basically Infernal Pit fodder right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    You just gotta scroll down to the bottom of the leaderboard list(it's annoying I know). Top 30% make it to Tier 5 from what I understand. I've just been getting enough elo to be comfortably in the top 30%...

Ooooh, it autoscrolls - I didn't realize that, I just saw like top 200 plus my own and thought that was it. Thanks!

• Options
    my current Dhamiria deck playing in the 1200s so far

Appears to have a severe weakness to Ariana. There are too few creatures in the deck considering the amount of removal Ariana has (aoe spells + soulreaver + puppetmaster + moonsilk + spitter). Also at that level Ariana always plays Soul-Consuming Liches which this deck is particularly bad at getting rid of.

Void judgement and void keeper are there to fight light of tomorrow and Adar and seem to work really well. I beat an Alia deck that played LoT on turn 5 or so by keeping his graveyard empty. I even put on so much pressure he had to use Angels of Mercy with no graveyard as chump blockers.

The revised tactics pull them out if you are fighting non-necro, non-light magic heros.

The blind brothers are really nice because you can cast them at 3 might, they are good chump blockers and synergize really well with Dham's power since they let you ransack their hand and still draw 2 cards later in the game.

Might of nature is kind of the keystone of the deck. It has rude combos with many cards, particularly hailstorm, insect swarm, and the Maniacs. I'm not entirely sure about the Doombringer but has decent stats and could potentially diffuse an early rush.

• Options
    I'm 1440 elo or so. Debating trying to get 1501 locked. I don't really see the point.

I got Phrias finally. Not sure what to work on next. Perhaps full set of void rising?

• Options

I got her already when I got my last Herald box... Speaking of epic uniques there is no reason to keeps dupes right? They are basically Infernal Pit fodder right?

I would avoid using the pit for now. I suspect they will allow you to trade cards for cards in the same set and epics will probably be needed to trade for other epics.

• Options

I would avoid using the pit for now. I suspect they will allow you to trade cards for cards in the same set and epics will probably be needed to trade for other epics.

Gah I hope not i blew 4 epic uniques on dhar to keep my card number up. I'm still holding out my futile hope for 5k cards for free ariana. Though I'm saving for the ariana pack now, puppet master, time warp, and ariana are worth 40k each to me. And I don't have any week of the dead yet.

• Options
    I need 100 cards to get Ariana. If you'll play long term it's not worth paying gold for her.

• Options
    that seems like a lot of playing. I'm level 45 now and have 1600 cards, even assuming I earn 2 packs a day (which doesnt happen all the time) that would still be 6? months of daily play.....bah just want ariana so I can see what it is weak against

• Options
    Tried a Sanctuary deck last night but I don't have the cards for it to be effective yet. Need start getting some Void Rising packs to fill out my Sanctuary commons and get a Strength of the Sea to be able to make a viable deck with them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    that seems like a lot of playing. I'm level 45 now and have 1600 cards, even assuming I earn 2 packs a day (which doesnt happen all the time) that would still be 6? months of daily play.....bah just want ariana so I can see what it is weak against

It's a crapload of playing but just think of it as a longterm goal. I really don't think Ariana is all that good anyhow. I beat Ariana 80% of the time. It's Adar-Malik that is a problem. And Dhamiria (who is stupidly OP).

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm missing lurkers from my Dham deck, without them you are really vulnerable to weenie rush. The deck I was playing earlier worked well but I could be rushed down, and I also lost to more "meta" oriented Dham decks that packed hall of amnesia. I feel like Dham's power is only really good when combo'd with other means of looking at your opponent's hand. Also when they send a tell that they are about to play a key spell or fortune, like tutoring for it and not playing it, only nubs do that though. Destroying the opponent's hand only works if you already have board control. On an empty board you are just delaying the game.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out a way to build a Dham deck w/o the "sideboard" of 2 revised tactics, 2 void keepers, 2 void judgement, and 2 altar of destruction. Keeper and judgement are anti necro, anti light of tomorrow. Revised tactics pull them against other decks, and altar of destruction is there in case I get stuck with a void judgement in my hand vs someone how doesn't use graveyard.

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm level 3, and I can't get past that stupid mission with all the banshees. The starting Inferno deck just doesn't have enough magic creatures in it, and I don't have enough cards to build a solid magic-based deck even after opening a box and packs from every promo code I could find.

Now what, just open the game every day until I can afford another box?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    @frem play vs other people, the starting inferno deck is good enough to win in the under 500 bracket, stay there as long as possible, you will eventually get achievements to get more packs and cards

you still get money if you lose but you get much less if you surrender, so if it looks like a bad game just clear your creatures and hit next turn

also did you use all of your codes to get more cards? just google for duel of champions codes or i think the first post has them

it sucks in the beginning, then gets better in the middle, then gets sucky again as you start to play against people w/ better cards, then it gets better again as you keep getting cards

also I won my first swiss tournament today! and the herald pack had Zardoc! so yeah everything is coming up milhouse

edit: hmm either zardoc sucks or I don't have the cards for him because I'm losing terribly

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    Still haven't managed a Swiss win yet... I've gotten multiple second places finishes as well as 3rd-8th... After an really dry spell initially I've been getting Emilo's packs at an above average rate.

Tie breaker points are still kinda weird and you get super screwed if you win your first match and then that guy abandons the tourney. But I've been the benefit recipient of that a couple times getting second place after losing first and winning next two so I really can't complain.

Will be getting 6 more event tickets with my weekly rewards so guess I'll be playing some more Swiss tourneys this next week.

You guys been running against the Stronghold stall deck flavor of the week where its based around getting a legendary/rare with double attack along with Kat's Grand Finale(grants Quick Attack) out to one turn kill you?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yeah saw that one, actually my current zardoc deck makes a mockery of it, as crappy as zardoc is

the deck is "great wall of zardoc" the idea is to get both light of tomorrow and might of nature out, then fill the front row w/ elephants and tainted orcs

at first I had no 6 might creatures but I added enraged cyclops, vulture rider and blackskull clan lord for oomph in the later game

• Options
    So I hit level 50 just now. Got the MOST disappointing box of Herald. Not one single new card. No Heros, no achievements, only a couple of cards I didn't already have 4 of and of those maybe 2 that are dubiously useful.

Rare List:
    Namtaru Channeler x2 (giving me 4! total, and I only have a single weakness....)
    Void Keeper (4th can't see putting 4 in any deck)
    Void Arbiter (3rd, mildly useful for Dhamiria lockdown)
    Turncoats
    Blood of my MOTHER FREAKING Tribe (6th one I pulled from Herald packs)
    Offensive Stance (4th which I unfortunately don't have a hero to take advantage of)
    Forbidden Flame (3rd)
    Immaculate Glory x2 (3rd and 4th, bletch)

Also don't think I got any uncommons I didn't have 4 of, maybe got 4th Fiery Rage as crappy as that is.

And now that I'm 50 and don't get a chunk of seals every 10 levels I'm not really motivated to play anything except Swiss, and swiss is kind of a wash since I can't make a deck that will simultaneously beat non-noob Ariana decks (ones that have dispel and earthgrab) and OTK Shar decks. I'm not sure a well put together Ariana deck is beatable except for bad draws.

• Options
    Ouch. I screwed up and didn't realize that I should be saving seals for HoV so I spent my initial batches on a couple big boxes and have only one Herald box as of level 35. That said, my initial HoV box did not exactly impress me either:

3x Immaculate Glory
    1x Blackskull Cyclops
    2x Greater Earth Elemental
    1x Offensive Stance
    1x Turncoats
    2x Unmei-Kami

Am I missing something, or is HoV pretty much all about the epic spells, and the other rares/epics lackluster?

Also, I've been principally running a basic Garant rush deck (all common/uncommon except for a Dark Assassin and 4 Paos, the one advantage of buying the regular box with seals) and tend to float around 1200 - is it worth it to start playing Swiss or should I hold out for a deck that doesn't fall over against any deck that can last 10 turns?

• Options
    IMO Garant is the best starter hero and he is also the one that is least reliant on the cards of the expansions. 4x Pao is huge as arguably they are the most powerful card in the game. You can play around the epic spells and Garant has the most options to nullify them. Halls of amnesia (herald common) is probably the best option to neutralize the epic spells since it only costs 1 mana. Also dispel magic is a gamechanger against a lot of decks. Zardoc combos 2 epic spells and is almost unbeatable w/o dispel or him starting with a crappy hand. And minor recall, also a herald common, is a spoiler vs a lot of strategies.

I wouldn't do something crazy like start over but I would definitely spend the seals from level 40 and 50 on herald boxes.

• Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    So I've just recently started playing (I'm just level 4), and I've taken a liking to the Haven decks (and got a Sandalphon) so I've been running a kind of control/OTK type if I'm reading the thread right. I like the idea of stalling until I can suddenly hit the enemy with a buffed-up creature with as many Icy Weapons/Bless I can. Not sure how this would work in higher elos since I'm sub-500.

Though I also really like how the Sanctuary deck looks like. Is it worth buying it with the starter gold and just develop the Sanc deck? And if I do pick up the starter Sanc deck, should I start buying Void Rising packs instead of the Reinforcement Packs to build up the deck?

Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Options
    So I've just recently started playing (I'm just level 4), and I've taken a liking to the Haven decks (and got a Sandalphon) so I've been running a kind of control/OTK type if I'm reading the thread right. I like the idea of stalling until I can suddenly hit the enemy with a buffed-up creature with as many Icy Weapons/Bless I can. Not sure how this would work in higher elos since I'm sub-500.

Though I also really like how the Sanctuary deck looks like. Is it worth buying it with the starter gold and just develop the Sanc deck? And if I do pick up the starter Sanc deck, should I start buying Void Rising packs instead of the Reinforcement Packs to build up the deck?

I'm level 50 and don't have a sanctuary hero (6 boxes of herald, many packs of void rising) yet so its your call. I suspect the price of void rising cards will drop after the next expansion hits but thats just speculation. Past 1k elo the successful sandalphon decks I saw ran str of sea and wolf captain rush.

My advice is to stay below 500 elo as long as you possibly can. Past 1k the game gets kind of stupid.

• Options
    Yeah I dropped my elo down to 500 last weekend to work on some achievements for factions that I don't have good decks with (my Inferno rush is the only > 1000 elo worthy deck).

Won my first Swiss Tourney playing my Inferno rush last night though and managed an 8 win streak... Gonna have to keep trying to get that 10 win streak I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    took me a long time to get my 10 wins, fortunately I met a nice person who surrendered when I told him it was my 10th in a row game

Now that I'm level 50+ I don't have any motivation to play. No more leveling achievements till 100, I'm missing key cards from all of my decks to be competitive in the 1200+ level. And as a result neither swiss nor jackpot tournaments are productive.

My adar deck is missing 2 puppet masters and is generally owned by any meta-relevant deck, my dhamiria deck is missing lurkers(no replacement for them) and 1 earthgrab. My fleshbane deck lacks paos, my garant rush is actually pretty well equipped but again missing paos.

• Options
    Paos are overrated.

My two best decks don't use them.

• Options
    I'm currently buying void rising in a futile attempt to score a sanctuary hero, another earth grasp, or a shi-no-shi.

• Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So I've just started this, really. Any starting advice in terms of creature/spell ratios etc? Also, when building a deck is there a way to see your mana curve?

Edit: I'm now realising that starting tips have probably been covered a few times!

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    You can try making accounts over and over to try out the different decks. Finishing the campaign should be enough gold to buy the Sanctuary or Stronghold decks if you want to try those too. Once you get a feel of the type of strategies each deck has, you can start going deep with booster packs.

I've been trying out a Haven deck, and all the cards I need are in Void Rising packs. So I guess I'll be buying those until I complete that deck or until I get a good Sanctuary hero. I reaaaaaally love the aesthetic on Sanctuary cards. I mean Samurai Sharks and Ninja Fish? Beats the hell out of Holy Men, Fire Demons, Evil Undead, and Angry Nature Beasts.

Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    So I've just started this, really. Any starting advice in terms of creature/spell ratios etc? Also, when building a deck is there a way to see your mana curve?

Edit: I'm now realising that starting tips have probably been covered a few times!

Haven is considered the weakest faction and in higher level play the only "successful" haven deck I'm encountering requires sandalphon, his 2 epic spells, and a bunch of geysers and wolf captains.

However I would start with the necro deck and seria. And my reasoning is that you can get garant from the infernal pit achievement (long term goal).

edit: now that I actually read your post....mana curve works a bit differently in this game so you can't quite use the same strategies as mtg. My general strategy is to put in at least 6 creatures at each mana level 2-4, ideally evening out between melee and ranged with flyers going in either slot. Then from there you decide if you are going more "rushy" and include the 1 casting cost creatures for your faction. The exception is stronghold where you almost always want 4 goblin scouts unless you have specific build that doesnt use them.

Once you have your "foundation" creatures you fill out your spells and fortunes. Some factions/heros have "autoincludes" that almost always go in every deck. For example 4 fire bolts go in the deck for every hero that has fire magic. In the beginning big creatures are key since there isn't a lot of reliable removal. At higher levels big creatures are a liability for a number of reasons. You want a really good reason to include 5/6 cost creatures other than just them being big, and again there are exceptions. The 6 cost spells are godly and you almost always want to include them if you are going to at least 4 magic anyway.

The beginning is all luck since the starter decks are pretty badly tuned, inferno is the objectively best starter, but again I would take necro over that for the long term play.

If you haven't found it yet mmdoc has a deckbuilder, a card list, and a lot of community built decks. Almost all of them rely on multiple specific rares but you can still get an idea of which cards people like and how to substitute for them.

Feel free to PM any questions you have or just post here since I have no life and am on the internet all the time I'll answer pretty quickly.

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    I've actually dropped my 6 cost spells(Armgeddon) from my rush deck... I found that if I needed to use them/was able to use them then I had probably already lost anyway. I still have a 4 cost board wipe with The Forbidden Flame. I'm debating whether to remove Firestorm or not as well.

steam_sig.png