As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So the [Duel of Champions] CCG is pretty fun.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    My rare was a Shinje Warrior. So that's pretty cool.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JunleaJunlea Registered User regular
    Thanks for the code. I got Adar-Malik, Caller of Doom as my rare I guess. I had him already :\

Junlea :: Writer, Gamer, Bagel Fan
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So uh Small Packs... I decided to try opening 6 small packs rather than a standard booster to see how they fared. Ended up with 6 commons, 5 uncommons, and a rare. The rare was Armagedden and a total of 5 of the cards could be played in my Inferno deck(3 that I'll probably add).

So that good of luck isn't gonna happen all the time but everyone throw a bit of gold toward single packs once in a while to change things up. You might get lucky.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Don't buy small packs. You can't obtain epic cards from small packs.

• Options
    Don't buy small packs. You can't obtain epic cards from small packs.
    No Foils either I don't think...

I wouldn't totally rule them out though for a starting player as they are the cheapest route to get cards.
    As long as you know that going into it that its no Epics and no Foils it's a decent way to build up your card base.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    my all herald deck is incredibly bad, my only hope of winning is the enemy surrendering to lower their elo

edit: hailstorm and heatwave combo really well with soul consuming lich, if only SCL had 2 retaliation if would be absolutely perfect

edit2: after a long and painful slog I got my 10 wins with my terrible all-herald necro deck, the resulting netted me jezziel so I can start my haven run - next goal is void rising packs as I believe that would be the best way to snag a sanctuary hero

edit3: i do not have the cards to play jezziel properly and siegfried is just a crappy hero....having 2 might starting out is useless unless you happen to draw enough gold piles to take advantage of it for the first few rounds. Having melee creatures have 1 extra health is also relatively useless.

edit4: apparently im spending too much time on the internet that im monopolizing this thread, anyway my haven deck is pretty bad, missing a lot of the "foundation" cards that make the faction competitive, surrendered myself down to 501 elo again to hopefully get my wins easier

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The fact I'm playing against epic spells now has pretty much killed my enjoyment of the game. Impossible-to-kill melee creatures *and* instant board clearing (which doesn't, of course, kill at least some of the melee creatures) aren't worth dealing with, especially not with how slow card progression is without paying.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    The fact I'm playing against epic spells now has pretty much killed my enjoyment of the game. Impossible-to-kill melee creatures *and* instant board clearing (which doesn't, of course, kill at least some of the melee creatures) aren't worth dealing with, especially not with how slow card progression is without paying.

Not having primal for dispels is a pretty big handicap at higher levels. I don't see how you can win if the opponent plays "light of tomorrow" and you can't either dispel it or win within a couple of rounds. That said there are things you can do to anticipate the epic spells and spells in general.

My strats:
    1. Light: Light of Tomorrow
    dispel it, win in 2 rounds, or lose - of all the epic spells this one is truly OP and decides games by itself
    2. Air: song of the lost
    ?? it isn't ongoing so the enemy can use it once, haven't seen it in action
    3. Nature: Might of Nature
    removal that doesnt rely on damage is what is needed, tough for some heros to counter
    4. Strength of the Sea:
    only truly dangerous when combod with broken bridge (theorycraft, havent seen it in action), but otherwise not that strong
    5. Forbidden Flame:
    very powerful but like all wipes you can position yourself so that it doesn't help the enemy that much, basically against fire you only ever play enough creatures that you are "winning" but not that you are "super winning"
    6. Silent Death:
    from using it a lot I have to say that it isn't as good as soulreaver, many many counters from dispells, killing your creature early, board wipe, hand return, sacrifices, etc etc etc only reason i carry it in my Malik deck is because I have 2 spell merchants to guarantee I get forbidden flame and I don't want to waste their abilities
    7. Gate to Nowhere:
    Turtle the row, hasn't made a difference in any game where I've seen it drop

Ideally I would try to stay under 500 elo as long as possible. By level 14 you can afford a 2nd box of herald so by the time you are fighting harder people you are probably on even footing when it comes to epic spells.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Strength of the Sea + Broken Bridge + Icy Weapon just won me a game. I was able to do 12 damage and there was nothing my opponent could do about it.

Edit: It's not as gamebreaking or as useless as some of those other spells, I guess.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Thinking I might build another deck with a different hero and use it as an excuse to drop my elo down so I can make another run at 10 wins in a row. Can't get more than 5-6 in a row so far and my elo's up over 300 making it unlikely...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ideally I would try to stay under 500 elo as long as possible. By level 14 you can afford a 2nd box of herald so by the time you are fighting harder people you are probably on even footing when it comes to epic spells.

Any game where the solution to having a chance is to play mind bogglingly badly for long enough to grind out two boxes I didn't know I should be getting until their cards started ruining the games I was in is... less than favorable.

I suppose it could have been playing a couple tournament matches as well, but the rapid jump from playing the kind of starter-deck slow-rolling dumbasses (and bots) below 500 and the people at like 700+ with tuned decks due to surrender bot pushing me up was just infuriating. Plus, after a bot surrendered to me 3 times in a row, playing against a person just under 1200 Elo was not fun (I actually won, because he was apparently flooded with everything needed to combo me but any creatures whatsoever and just stalled me with bridges and that card that prevented me from playing creatures).

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BaskeBaske Registered User regular
    Plus, after a bot surrendered to me 3 times in a row, playing against a person just under 1200 Elo was not fun (I actually won, because he was apparently flooded with everything needed to combo me but any creatures whatsoever and just stalled me with bridges and that card that prevented me from playing creatures).

Sounds like you met your first OTK deck. You choices are to either join them or hate them. Choose your adventure!

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Hmm...How does Cosmic Realignment fare against OTK decks? Good, I assume?

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Any game where the solution to having a chance is to play mind bogglingly badly for long enough to grind out two boxes I didn't know I should be getting until their cards started ruining the games I was in is... less than favorable.

I suppose it could have been playing a couple tournament matches as well, but the rapid jump from playing the kind of starter-deck slow-rolling dumbasses (and bots) below 500 and the people at like 700+ with tuned decks due to surrender bot pushing me up was just infuriating. Plus, after a bot surrendered to me 3 times in a row, playing against a person just under 1200 Elo was not fun (I actually won, because he was apparently flooded with everything needed to combo me but any creatures whatsoever and just stalled me with bridges and that card that prevented me from playing creatures).

It isn't quite as doomy as you all that. Between your first box, your leveling cash, the promo codes, and some achievements you should have 400(500?)ish cards by level 6. That should be enough to put together a respectable deck. If the packs don't go your way it isn't too much time to roll a new account and slog through the few campaigns again. You are guaranteed a stronghold hero at the end of the campaign and with all the packs you have a really good chance at another hero before long. My 2nd herald box didn't really help that much, let me tune my main deck slightly but not significantly. The first box was a really big improvement though.

The achievements give motivation to try different things. Like after my 2nd box I ran an all-herald deck which was vastly inferior than my regular deck and eventually knocked out 10 wins at 1k+ elo. Going for the 10 in a row achievement pushed me past 500 elo and things aren't so bad at that level since you are playing against lots of other guys who were just pushed past 500. In my opinion the best starter is inferno. Haven is just harder to play when first starting the game and relies a lot on combos that are difficult to pull off with the starter deck. The necro starter deck is very much untuned.

Right now I'm trying for 30 haven wins, and have 16 under my belt I think. My hero is siegfried and he is pretty bad and I always forget to use his ability since it is so trivial. However it is teaching me a lot about using fortunes since I have no spells in the deck. I win maybe 1 of 4 but you get gold and xp from losing so other than the ego depletion it isn't a big deal to lose a lot if you like playing.

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    Woohoo I finally got the "Not the end of the world achievement". On my last turn when I'd already had the guy beat I drew Armageddon and I already had the Crystal of Revelation in my hand. Cast Crystal then Armageddon wiping his board... that could be a pretty powerful combo if I had actually been in trouble. Actually I have two board wipe spells plus 3 Fireballs so having cards that give magic shield combo's great with them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalondelTalondel Registered User regular
    I thought I'd post this for anyone who might find it helpful. I started playing a couple weeks back, when PA had ran their promo (see the first post in this thread). I didn't put any money into the game, I just used all the promo codes I could find, and went through the single player campaign. I started off with an inferno deck, and I played enough matches with that to get my level up into the teens. I used the rewards I got from that and from signing in every day to buy packs, and eventually ended up with enough cards to build a better deck for a different faction. Tonight I finally cracked 1001 ELO at level 18, and I've been doing alright in swiss and jackpot tournaments.

So the point of this is, if you're thinking about starting up you can be competitive without having to spend any money. The game certainly has its share of flaws but it's been a fun diversion until Hex comes out later this year.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, I still can't crack 1001 ELO. I got up to 900 or so before dropping down into the 7's.

Also, I forgot to log in two days ago, which was the day I'd have hit my seventh day login. Argh.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Hit level 10 last night due to some help from an XP boost I got from the weekly rewards... Have saved up ~1100 seals so am getting close to being able to get that second box of Herald. Hey are there any starter decks that stand out above the rest in regards to the quality of the cards included? I need to go find a starter deck card list and parse through it I guess... Although I'm a little hesitant to blowing all my gold on another starter deck when I could just get packs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I would just get packs until you fill out your commons, then get heroic packs to have more deck variety available

Right now I'm getting void rising packs to try for a sanctuary hero. Going for the 30 for each hero type achievement and that is the one I'm missing.

edit: just got the "mastering diversity" achievement, that was actually kind of fun (as opposed to the haven hero achievement which was agony)

the only, non-leveling, non-tournament achievements I have left are "end of the world" and the "250/500 wins" currently at 189 wins, think the next thing is to grind to 250 wins and then start tournaments going for the 25 swiss wins for the box

edit: holy crapnuts I opened a total of 3 void rising packs and get 3 wolf justicars as my rares....they are nice and all but damn

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    My starting inferno deck is still going strong at ~900 elo without having put any money into the game. My only criticism so far is that it seems difficult to build an effective deck that isn't inferno/nerco without a lot of cards. Haven/Sanctuary/Stronghold need specific spells to survive while I can throw all all my good creatures and direct damage spells into a deck and call it a day.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    I can't believe I forgot to log in on the seventh day...

If all of the promotions were still available (are they?) I'm having some serious buyer's remorse with the haven deck I started on. I'd be tempted to create a new account to do something different.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Ha nice, tomorrow's reward for me is 6 tournament tickets. Speaking of tournaments, I somehow managed to win packs in my first two Swiss tourney's taking 3rd and 2nd. Didn't win anything the next two but still ended with a 8-3-1 record so far which isn't horrid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    so it looks like with 4 weeks worth of 7th day rewards, your starter seals, and all the seals from the codes you can get a 3rd box of herald at level 24

I'm at level 22.5 now and I'm wearing out on the game, since I only have the cards to play necro past of the ~700 elo range. I played against a great haven deck that relied on the combo of turtles, wolf justicars, and elrath's blessing (switches retribution and attack values until the start of your next turn). Apparently turtles don't have "can't attack" unlike walls.

Anyway I don't have the cards for it yet and seigfried is a totally stupid hero because most of the best haven creatures (including wolf justicar) require a magic to play.

• Options
    Doing decent on Swiss tournaments really helped boost my Elo cause I jumped from around 500 to sitting at ~800 right now. When I hit level 12 and get this weeks seals I'll have enough for my second box of Herald.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It isn't quite as doomy as you all that. Between your first box, your leveling cash, the promo codes, and some achievements you should have 400(500?)ish cards by level 6. That should be enough to put together a respectable deck. If the packs don't go your way it isn't too much time to roll a new account and slog through the few campaigns again. You are guaranteed a stronghold hero at the end of the campaign and with all the packs you have a really good chance at another hero before long. My 2nd herald box didn't really help that much, let me tune my main deck slightly but not significantly. The first box was a really big improvement though.

The achievements give motivation to try different things. Like after my 2nd box I ran an all-herald deck which was vastly inferior than my regular deck and eventually knocked out 10 wins at 1k+ elo. Going for the 10 in a row achievement pushed me past 500 elo and things aren't so bad at that level since you are playing against lots of other guys who were just pushed past 500. In my opinion the best starter is inferno. Haven is just harder to play when first starting the game and relies a lot on combos that are difficult to pull off with the starter deck. The necro starter deck is very much untuned.

Right now I'm trying for 30 haven wins, and have 16 under my belt I think. My hero is siegfried and he is pretty bad and I always forget to use his ability since it is so trivial. However it is teaching me a lot about using fortunes since I have no spells in the deck. I win maybe 1 of 4 but you get gold and xp from losing so other than the ego depletion it isn't a big deal to lose a lot if you like playing.

Half the things you're telling me I've already done; I've put together an OK deck for inferno and poison, got 10 in a row near immediately because sub 500-600 is apparently entirely populated by people who not only don't tune their decks but also make plays that are so blatently suboptimal I can tell they're crap without even knowing their hand because they didn't even play the (wrong) card they threw out well, and I've already gotten a few levels. The problem is that if the solution for me eventually progressing is to regress back to playing against absolute trash until I can level up half a dozen times to try buying boxes I didn't know I should get in order to have the epic cards needed to compete with the people I'm actually matched up against... It's not fun. Like, at this point I'm in a limbo where decisions I didn't know were wrong have set me up to be useless against idiots with tuned decks, but never lose against idiots with slightly/untuned decks, which seem to be my main opponents; I've only seen a few clever plays by enemies in the entirety of time I've played the game, and none of them were from the tuned decks that can just kick my ass.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I need ONE more card to complete my 'every card from the base set' achievements. It's the epic unique necropolis fortune. I have a ~1.2% chance per pack to obtain one. I earn about two packs per day on average, playing for a couple of hours (while I take my puzzle and dragons turns on my tablet). This will probably be a couple months of farming right here.

• Options
    Given the numbers you listed, the probability of getting it within 2 months (60 days) is about 75%. In fact, it's (close to) a 50% chance you'll get the card any given month; there's only a one in 8 chance you won't have it within 3 months.

This is still a depressingly slow slog for that card.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Not much else to do, the only thing I -need- for my current deck is a forbidden flame, and you can't buy packs of the last expansion with gold.

• Options
    Bought my second box of Herald but that didn't help my Inferno deck much... Not sure what I want to spend my seals on next time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I need ONE more card to complete my 'every card from the base set' achievements. It's the epic unique necropolis fortune. I have a ~1.2% chance per pack to obtain one. I earn about two packs per day on average, playing for a couple of hours (while I take my puzzle and dragons turns on my tablet). This will probably be a couple months of farming right here.

That's the only card I need for that achievement as well. Not so fun times picking up base packs here and there with nothing of value to me at all just trying to get that card.

• Options
    Eh, I picked up a second banshee and second dark assassin already while fishing for it, so it's not all bad.

Also, they're coming out with a new system which will allow you to acquire single cards of choice. I'm betting you can trade 'x' amount of epics for an epic of choice from the same set, so I'm fine with stocking up on spare epics.

• Options
    ValkirasValkiras Registered User regular
    Anyone else unable to access the game / site?

• Options
    Yep servers seem to be down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If I can't pick up my daily I'm going to be pissed

edit: game is up, picked up my daily so I have >1400 seals....and....the store is busted

oh ubisoft quebec, once again proving the old joke that canada got the worst of everything with british food, american culture, and french technology

edit2: store works, got 3rd box of herald, highly disappointing. Only thing notable was 2 more decay spitters giving me 4. Not one unique spell, not one hero, and not one "ownership" achievement from 30 packs. That box pushed me over 1k cards, the premium heroic was crap. Got sandalphon and my 4th abyssal lord, bletch. Now to start tossing the dupes into the pit.

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Anyone been able to get the 50 friends achievement? My friend list now shows 50 friends but the achievement says I only have 49... Guess I need to get another friend add and see if it triggers then.

I've just been sending friend requests to anyone I have a match with or am in a swiss tournament with.

Also holy hell jackpot tournament matches are ridiculously tough... I kept losing match after match even after having tournament elo drop to 1. Oddly enough all those matches even with the losses did result in boosting my overall elo from mid 500's to mid 700's.

Lost a match to a guy playing the almost all fortune/spells deck where I couldn't damage him at all after like the 4-5th round and he finished me off with some card that did damage to me based upon cards in hand more than 6? or from discarding cards? Anyone know what card combo would do that?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stall decks are quite common at higher elo/tournaments and are very tough to deal with.

Also, they're giving away 100 seals and a free emilio's pack for the Saturday downtime.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Decay Spitter, Kenshi, Hellfire Maniac for uncommons and Sun Crusader for Rare from my emilio's pack. Not bad... I've now got 4 Hellfire Maniacs which is nice...

The 50 friends achievement also triggered and I got my 4th copy of Kat Seeker of Freedom Hero from the premium reinforcement pack... this new one a foil, 2 normal one and the 1 alt art version you get as an achievement prize. Think I'm gonna go sacrifice the 2 normal ones for the current Infernal Pit event card.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I want to play a stall deck because they are just better but you really need specific cards. My current adar deck is decent vs rush but sux vs stall/otk. Im pretty much entirely focused on creature removal with no utility.

• Options
    Finally...actually it was pretty fast...only a couple of weeks.

ETq8TzW.jpg

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of getting into this, and reading through the op I don't see any mention of a recruiter program? Is that right? If I'm going to get in, I'd like to give someone here a referral bonus if one exists.

I would download a car.