As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Yep, have to say I'm really enjoying this - mechanically, it feels much better than PoE and it seems to have an endless array of customisation options. The Arcanist meteor spell is particular gratifying to land on a group and send the bodies ragdollig everywhere.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I need to give this another go so I can update the OP. I was hooked on Titan Quest but I gotta say this hasn't quite reeled me in the same way. I might just wait for the expected release of the complete game though, in February.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Oh, there is a thread for this! Been binging it a lot lately, a RL friend of a RL friend has been selling it to our friend group hard for months. Turns out he's actually one of like the biggest players in the Beta (his excessive playing and testing has gotten hundreds of changes into the game, including a total rework of the legendary items), so it's nice being able to pick his brain on this stuff. Especially since this is my first ARPG and I'm still trying to figure stuff out, but it's fun.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its content complete atm

still lackin polish etc

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    its content complete atm

still lackin polish etc

I'm sure they keep on patching it and improving balance and so on, but I really wouldn't say it lacks polish right now. It's already far more polished than most games I play.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The main thing right now is they have SO MUCH INCORRECT PUNCTUATION.

The lack of semicolons on the devotion screen hurts my soul.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Have they announced an official release yet? Closest I can find is that they hope to have it out in February. I think I'll boot up the game this weekend and see if what's changed. If anyone has anything cool or interesting they'd like added to the OP shoot me a PM.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Have they announced an official release yet? Closest I can find is that they hope to have it out in February. I think I'll boot up the game this weekend and see if what's changed. If anyone has anything cool or interesting they'd like added to the OP shoot me a PM.

It is basically feature-complete at the moment. You can finish the story, kill the end boss and move on to the next difficulty level all the way to the end. They've added legendaries, the reputations work now, there's devotion altars to further specialize your character and so on. Lots of stuff in the last few patches.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Finally got around to this and pretty awesome so far.

Kind of at a loss as to what classes I want to be rolling though. Picked Shaman and 2handed melee first and kind of tempted to go soldier aswell to complement it defensively/AOE but I like some of the buffs from pyro.

Thinking about building something that can run into the middle of a group and unleash fire damage from enemies coming into contact with me while letting off lightning aoe but going pyro seems like sort of a waste since I would be ignoring all the explosives and traps which don't seem too useful for a more defensive melee character.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I also loaded the game up yesterday, but rather than jump back into my old characters I just started a new Vet one.

I haven't tried out the Shaman yet. Haven't really even looked at their tree at all, tbh. I still am Demo 1st player. Something about the firearms that make me happy. Although, I haven't really found a good second class synergy yet.

One of the bad things about this is I generally am shit at my own theorycrafting, and since this is a relatively small (and unreleased) game there isn't much in terms of build breakdown info.

Still, every time I load up the game I play for like 2-4 hours and love it. I hope this game gets more attention, but with D3 and PoE dominating the market, I can understand if it stays under the radar.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Kind of at a loss as to what classes I want to be rolling though. Picked Shaman and 2handed melee first and kind of tempted to go soldier aswell to complement it defensively/AOE but I like some of the buffs from pyro.

Thinking about building something that can run into the middle of a group and unleash fire damage from enemies coming into contact with me while letting off lightning aoe but going pyro seems like sort of a waste since I would be ignoring all the explosives and traps which don't seem too useful for a more defensive melee character.

Pyro is a great choice if you primarily want more CC. Stun jacks is a nice little stun early on, flashbang is great for debuffing mobs so you're more survivable, and 1 point in canister bomb + 3 in the transmuter than makes it stun is one of the best CC abilities in the game. That said, melee Shamans do typically second-class Soldier.
    Decoy wrote: »
    I also loaded the game up yesterday, but rather than jump back into my old characters I just started a new Vet one.

I haven't tried out the Shaman yet. Haven't really even looked at their tree at all, tbh. I still am Demo 1st player. Something about the firearms that make me happy. Although, I haven't really found a good second class synergy yet.

One of the bad things about this is I generally am shit at my own theorycrafting, and since this is a relatively small (and unreleased) game there isn't much in terms of build breakdown info.

Still, every time I load up the game I play for like 2-4 hours and love it. I hope this game gets more attention, but with D3 and PoE dominating the market, I can understand if it stays under the radar.

There's plenty of activity and build discussion on their forums.
    http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Derp. You're right. Their forum is blocked at work (where I do most of my surfing. Ha), so I don't really go to it. My phone however...

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Decoy wrote: »
    Derp. You're right. Their forum is blocked at work (where I do most of my surfing. Ha), so I don't really go to it. My phone however...

Oh yeah, as far as second class for a Demo goes I think Arcanist is generally the way to go. More elemental damage, more fire damage, even more CC (flash freeze is craycray), and Maven's is the single most broken survivability skill in the game even after the nerf.

And stacking Offensive Ability is still one of the dominant strategies, so Inner Focus is one of the most important talents in the game for giving you % OA (Oleron's Rage also does this, which is why minmaxers always have either solly or arcanist as one of their classes).

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Also, going back and forth between this and D3 reminds me of how you just FLY through the levels in D3. I'm curious what people's thought are in regards to leveling speed.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Pyro is a great choice if you primarily want more CC. Stun jacks is a nice little stun early on, flashbang is great for debuffing mobs so you're more survivable, and 1 point in canister bomb + 3 in the transmuter than makes it stun is one of the best CC abilities in the game. That said, melee Shamans do typically second-class Soldier.
    Ultimately decided to go with Soldier as my secondary.

Abit boring but barreling into zombies with blitz is starting to make it feel worth it.

• Options
    Started working on a demo. I want to use guns and I feel like Demo is the best class for that. Unfortunately, from my (limited) experience, it seems like Demo is the only class for that. In order make guns your primary focus that is. I suppose it wouldn't normally be a problem, like how Titan Quest had a ranger as the bow class, but it seems like the Demo is a gunner only incidentally. I guess basically what I was hoping for was a more focused 'rifleman' type class. Game is DEFINITELY more polished than the last time I played though.

• Options
    Started working on a demo. I want to use guns and I feel like Demo is the best class for that. Unfortunately, from my (limited) experience, it seems like Demo is the only class for that. In order make guns your primary focus that is. I suppose it wouldn't normally be a problem, like how Titan Quest had a ranger as the bow class, but it seems like the Demo is a gunner only incidentally. I guess basically what I was hoping for was a more focused 'rifleman' type class. Game is DEFINITELY more polished than the last time I played though.

Shaman can be good for 2 handed ranged, since some of its 2H transmuters work with both melee and ranged. If you want to do dual-wielding pistols tho, Demo is definitely the class best suited to that. Gunslinger Sorceress is one of the highest sheet-dps (ie not counting procs from things like devotion and spells from the hotbar) builds in the game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Still having a blast with this. Really loving the gritty scrap medieval apocalypse feeling.

The great thing about this genre is that they always become more addictive the longer they go on.

The constant feeling of growing power and what not, never feels slow and I've been playing a lot of slower games lately so I've needed Grim Dawn.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Created a giveaway in the OP, under the assumption that the final release is coming this month as speculated.

• Options
    Gonna give this a bump for more people to get in on the giveaway (in OP). Standard rules apply, be a member of any of the PA steam groups I'm a member of (G&T being the main one) and have some actual forum posting history. Good luck.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Gonna give this a bump for more people to get in on the giveaway (in OP). Standard rules apply, be a member of any of the PA steam groups I'm a member of (G&T being the main one) and have some actual forum posting history. Good luck.

If you want more entries, you could post it in the G&T and/or SE++ steam threads. It's come up more than once in discussions but I'm sure people don't realize there it's a separate thread for the game.

EDIT: "It" being Grim Dawn and usually to pretty glowing recommendations and enthusiasm

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Gotten to the part of the game where enemy healers start showing up.

Those goblin mages are more of a nuisance than the hardest hitting goliath. Luckily it's pretty easy to see them cowering in the back.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I need to buy into this. Would Steam or direct from the dev be a better idea?

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Pretty stoked to give this another go!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I need to buy into this. Would Steam or direct from the dev be a better idea?

Most people I see pick it up on steam just for convenience. Up to you how much of a cut you want to send their way. Might also be able to get it from Humble on launch which is another good option for that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I was having a grand time, then got a Devotion point, looked at that monstrosity of a screen, and noped out. Research later.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    I was having a grand time, then got a Devotion point, looked at that monstrosity of a screen, and noped out. Research later.

It's getting a big ol' rework in the next patch (which should be out in the next week or two? hopefully?) so might as well hold off on it for now. My best advice is think of all the stats you want for your build (health, certain damage types, offensive ability, shield block chance, resistances, etc) and just identify which constellations have the ones you want for a build. And then try and make a path through them with the whole affinity thing.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Any tips on basic theory crafting? I never really played TQ and the basic engine looks very different than the D2/PoE I'm used to.

• Options
    Any tips on basic theory crafting? I never really played TQ and the basic engine looks very different than the D2/PoE I'm used to.

Generally the best builds are high attack speed with lots of silly on-hit effects, but if you just keep stacking +damage on a spell you like to use you'll kill things pretty good.

If you want to survive at the highest difficulty you need tons of health and damage mitigation and resistance buffing, but if you take your time exploring like I do it'll be a long time before you take a character to Ultimate.

Also you generally wants at least one source of +% Offensive Ability and some flat OA (the flat usually comes from gear), it determines both your to-hit and your crit chance so it's often the most pertinent part of your DPS in most builds. Also spells can crit.often

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mahnmut wrote: »

It's probably simpler than it looks at first, and it has some really fun abilities that are added to your normal attacks. My Nightblade summons shadow assassins and procs lifedrains on people hitting her. My "research" on the whole thing was mostly just going "oh, there's an assassin constellation and I'm an assassin, what do I need to get there?" and just went for it. Probably not the best but works well enough. I really like the system.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the stuff to know about the system is mainly

offensive ability is good and applies to all damage types, including dots in next patch

weapons are beafsteak

skills can go over max with gear

auto attack changing skills like zolhans technique or feral hunger work with a left click skill, of which there are only 3 (cadence, fire strike, savagery)

but

cadence third hit special attack does not work with them because crate are cruel and unkind masters so bear that in mind

that shit works with ranged weapons but hits multiple target shit doesnt. actual radius aoe shit does (eg explosion in fire strike line)

look carefully at transmuters

some less good weapon choices have absurdly strong weapon-specific constellations to make up for it (eg kraken for 2 handed ranged)

you can mix damage types fairly easily in this

energy regen gear requires spirit, piercing weapons need cunning, high armour items and 2h weapons need physique

some monsters have specific element resistances but its fairly rare so its not a d2 hell situation, plus there are resistance debuffer skills

look carefully at devotion constellations that dont have proc skills on them, they often have op retarded unflagged bonuses (like -25% resistance on hit on snake)

proc skills can go on your procs. if you are an autoattacker you can have a full set of dual wielding procs, each having a chance to proc their own procs. proctastic. you can also have the base attack skill proccing too! PROCS FOR THE PROC GOD

the crafting system is derp but pay attention to it because u can get some stronk shit

reading shit gets you xp aww yee

dont worry too much about stat distribution, going a mix of physique + whatever your primary damage type is will probs be fine until you have a stronger feeling. best to keep 5 stat points in reserve if you have any doubts

every skill tree has op shit so its all good

shit like pets scale with your level as well as with levels in the pet skill, so 1 level in briarthorn whatever is often worth. most skills can either be one point wonders or investments, very few are useless with only one point.

memes

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I've just been smacking everything with primal strike.

I've become some demented mix between Thor and The Punisher.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Okay, so some follow ups...

How do the procs work? I notice on the dual wield line there are like three of them, and you have the take them all to get to the end. Can more than one proc at a time? If not how can you tell which has a priority? Is there an 8% chance your crappy lvl 1 proc goes off and screws you over?

Second if offensive ability% is so critical to every build...why does it not seem to exist all? Is it just only available to 1-2 classes, which are then just better than the others? Or is it a gear focused stat?

Also, how does dual wielding work? Do you attack simultaneously making it a DPS boost? Does it interact well with the default attack replacements?

Finally, it looks like every active skill level 's on a 2-5 second cooldown. Are there any spammable skills, or should I just look at them as utility?

Right now I'm thinking of doing a trickster for my first playthrough, but that might change depending on some of this.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Okay, so some follow ups...

How do the procs work? I notice on the dual wield line there are like three of them, and you have the take them all to get to the end. Can more than one proc at a time? If not how can you tell which has a priority? Is there an 8% chance your crappy lvl 1 proc goes off and screws you over?

Second if offensive ability% is so critical to every build...why does it not seem to exist all? Is it just only available to 1-2 classes, which are then just better than the others? Or is it a gear focused stat?

Also, how does dual wielding work? Do you attack simultaneously making it a DPS boost? Does it interact well with the default attack replacements?

Finally, it looks like every active skill level 's on a 2-5 second cooldown. Are there any spammable skills, or should I just look at them as utility?

Right now I'm thinking of doing a trickster for my first playthrough, but that might change depending on some of this.

the procs replace your default attack when using a left click skill or autoattack

they cannot go off simultaneously, so you dont want to go over 100% chance to replace your autoattack (although its relatively hard to do that)

offensive ability is more crucial for crit based build (as it determines crit chance AND crit power), and there are lots of other builds where you will be stats you will want to prioritise more

dual wielding just gives you a 50% chance to do a double weapon attack, the dual wield procs add on to that and override once you get a higher chance. but dual wield procs tend to use both weapons for their % weapon damage calculations, so damage is not lost (soldier procs like zolhan only use mainhand weapon damage)

you can dual wield pistols if you find the right items also fyi, so you can plan for that

look at transmuters to make things spammable, eg the shaman lightning attack or the soldier shockwave transmuter. not all can be but a few can (and some transmuters put something on a cooldown and buff it, eg the occultist dreeg transmuter)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    So just to make sure I've got it, let's say you played a dual wielding Trickster using savagery with Belgothian's Shears maxed out.

Half the time, you'd do a normal attack but with both weapons. 20% of the time, you'd use Belgothian's Shears. 30% of the time you'd actually use Savagery, which you used to trigger the attack in the first place.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    So just to make sure I've got it, let's say you played a dual wielding Trickster using savagery with Belgothian's Shears maxed out.

Half the time, you'd do a normal attack but with both weapons. 20% of the time, you'd use Belgothian's Shears. 30% of the time you'd actually use Savagery, which you used to trigger the attack in the first place.

savagery is applied to everything

because its basically just bonus damage and effects on the attack itself, its like the "input weapon damage" for the other procs. the only exception to this for left click skills is cadence which is stupid

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Okay so hold on, those skill attack procs (shears, whirling death, quick cut, executioner, markovian/zoltan's in soldier, etc) work on their own little system called the Weapon Proc System (WPS), or weapon proc skills or something like that.

It's not actually percentages, but weights--say each A below represents 10 weights (for future reference, lowercase letters mean 5 weights), where A means you perform a regular attack.
    AAAAAAAAAA

Whenever you attack, it grabs one of the weights out of the pool to determine what your attack is. In this case, you'll always get a basic attack. Say you get Markhovian Advantage to a level where it has a 20% chance to proc; this will replace 20 of the basic attack weights with Markhovian weights (M):
    MMAAAAAAAA

And if you attack and pull an M out of that pull, you'll get the proc attack.

Now, dual weilding is its own sort of WPS--say you just have dual blades leveled and use the basic attack, it will look like this, with L being attacking with your left weapon, R being attack with your right, and B being attacking with both weapons:
    LLLlRRRrBBB (it's something like a 35/35/30 split, but I'm not sure on the exact numbers)

Attacking with your left or right means you only get the damage and hit effects of the weapon you hit with, and landing with both gets the damage and effects of both.

Now say you have Shears (S), Quick Cut (Q), Whirling Blades (W), and Execution (E) all leveled to their 20% proc rate:
    SSQQWWEEBB (I believe it takes out all the left/right attacks before taking out both attacks, not 100% on that tho)

As it pulls one of those out, only one can proc on any given attack. This also means that leveling other WPS skills won't lower your chance to pull execution, because it doesn't reduce the proportional amount of weights it has to the overall number of weights--it's going to be 20 of the 100 weights either way.

UNLESS you go over 100 weights (which you can do). So if you have all 4 Nightblade WPSs maxed out, and both Soldier WPSs maxed out (Markovian's M, Zoltan's will be Z), it will look like this:
    SSQQWWEEMMmZZz

For a total of 130 weights. As you can see, you will no longer do any sort of normal attack if your WPS weights reach 100 or over, as they're all replaced. But all weights will be added, going over 100, and it still just pulls one out--this does lower your chance to get any individual skill to proc, because instead of the listed 20% on execution that was intended to be 20/100 weights, but now it's down to 20/130, or about 15%

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    That's the detail I needed. Sounds like a dual wield Savagery Trickster will be my first build, then.

• Options
    Oh right, and for spammable spells each class has their options for that, either changing a cooldown spell to a no cooldown spell, and some spells with inherently no cooldown (that can be changed to HAVE a cooldown if you don't want to spam it).
    Soldier's Forcewave can be teched to have no cooldown, Blade Arc doesn't have a cooldown by default and is great for waveclear but lacks in single-target deeps.
    Shaman's Primal Strike can be teched to have no cooldown, and Devouring Swarm doesn't have a cooldown but I'm not sure how strong that is going into the lategame.
    Nightblades have probably the best spam skill in the game in Phantasmal Blades; was the top build in the previous patch and is still pretty good. And with the right high-level gear can get Shadow Strike to no cooldown through sheer amounts of cooldown reduction. That's a silly build, but fun.
    Demolitionist's Stun Jacks can be teched to have no cooldown, and that's a definitely workable build. Turn screenshake on with that build to see probably the silliest thing GD can produce. Blackwater Cocktail is also spammable, but it's one of the weaker skills in the game--it'll only really get you through the second difficulty and it struggles against bosses, but it's actually ludicrously good at clearing mobs.
    Arcanist's Panneti's Replicating Missile and Calidor's Tempest are both specifically designed to be your primary mode of attack, and so have no cooldown. But gotta get dat energy regen to sustain them.
    Occultist's Eye of Dreeg is basically Replicating Missile but with poison damage, so yeah.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    oh super improtant thing if u go dot build:

your weapon damage percentage multiplies weapon-applied dots. so if u are doing a 200% weapon damage attack, your dots are applied at 200% strength (plus other mods). if ur using eye of dreeg, it does a small amount of weapon damage - any dots on your weapon will be applied, albeit weakly. note that the devotion damage over time passives apply to your weapon, and thus u can get some sneaky usage out of dem

obF2Wuw.png