As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i may attempt to recreate my torchlight 2 character concept in grim dawn at some point

dual-wielding, on-hit master of pure demonic butthole savagery

procadile dundee shall be reborn

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    oh super improtant thing if u go dot build:

your weapon damage percentage multiplies weapon-applied dots. so if u are doing a 200% weapon damage attack, your dots are applied at 200% strength (plus other mods). if ur using eye of dreeg, it does a small amount of weapon damage - any dots on your weapon will be applied, albeit weakly. note that the devotion damage over time passives apply to your weapon, and thus u can get some sneaky usage out of dem

I settled on a dual wield Savagery build, and Savagery has a nice weapon multiplier. The devotion system still kind of baffles me, I haven't allocated any point there yet.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    oh super improtant thing if u go dot build:

your weapon damage percentage multiplies weapon-applied dots. so if u are doing a 200% weapon damage attack, your dots are applied at 200% strength (plus other mods). if ur using eye of dreeg, it does a small amount of weapon damage - any dots on your weapon will be applied, albeit weakly. note that the devotion damage over time passives apply to your weapon, and thus u can get some sneaky usage out of dem

I settled on a dual wield Savagery build, and Savagery has a nice weapon multiplier. The devotion system still kind of baffles me, I haven't allocated any point there yet.

Steam Community Guides have a few really good devotion shrine/constellation guides if you need help with the system.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I played this a good bit around last september I think?

I wanted to restart and focus on poison or bleeding but am also always pulled toward Shamaning and that doesn't lend itself to either so I never got back in. but this thread is definitely making me want to, probably once it officially launches

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I really like how the environment art turned out -- which isn't totally surprising, since I loved
    Titan Quest for ambiance too.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Is there any specific place I can go to farm item sets like Perdition or are monster infrequents the only items that can be hunted in a specific place and be expected to drop there at some point?

Never really hunted gear like this before, I usually grabbed whatever I could find in Torchlight but want to really become a demigod in this one.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Playing a summoner Warlock now and otherwise the build is awesome but ... I have no attack skills to bind my devotion procs to. Looks like you can't bind them to normal weapon attack or even Olexra's Flash Freeze for some reason. I got the first one bound to Dreeg's Infinite Gaze but I'm aiming to get two more and I have no idea what to do with them. I could buy an attack skill like Doom Bolt but there's not really room for one, point-wise or in my hot key bar.

Was really lucky to get a Black Grimoire of Og'Napesh - had no idea there's such an item but it is absolutely perfect for my build. The summoned revenant is hitting for 2k, when it feels like meleeing and manages to get to the enemies before they die.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Is there any specific place I can go to farm item sets like Perdition or are monster infrequents the only items that can be hunted in a specific place and be expected to drop there at some point?

Never really hunted gear like this before, I usually grabbed whatever I could find in Torchlight but want to really become a demigod in this one.

Nope, epics/legendaries don't have any specific drop pattern and can't be particularly farmed for (the community is split on their feelings about this) except for maybe some random epics tied to a certain boss that are basically a monster infrequent in their own way. I think I have the shield and the faceguard for the perdition set if you wanna trade?
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Playing a summoner Warlock now and otherwise the build is awesome but ... I have no attack skills to bind my devotion procs to. Looks like you can't bind them to normal weapon attack or even Olexra's Flash Freeze for some reason. I got the first one bound to Dreeg's Infinite Gaze but I'm aiming to get two more and I have no idea what to do with them. I could buy an attack skill like Doom Bolt but there's not really room for one, point-wise or in my hot key bar.

You can't bind devotion to Olexra's yet because it's a DoT, that'll be changed next patch (which also adds in critting for DoTs).

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

You can't bind devotion to Olexra's yet because it's a DoT, that'll be changed next patch (which also adds in critting for DoTs).

Had no idea its a DoT, it seems to do all of its damage in one go. Not that I use it for the damage of course. Good to know about the changes, the patch should be here on Tuesday with the official launch right?

I hope a lot of people buy this now that it is coming out of EA, it is one of the best ARPGs ever.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Had no idea its a DoT, it seems to do all of its damage in one go. Not that I use it for the damage of course. Good to know about the changes, the patch should be here on Tuesday with the official launch right?

I hope a lot of people buy this now that it is coming out of EA, it is one of the best ARPGs ever.

I don't think they've put out a launch date yet? Haven't seen anything on the discord chat yet, and they're pretty ravenous for news.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    This game is pretty good. I've been playing an arcanist focused on skyshards. On normal things were way too easy but on veteran things are OK. I'm level 28 and having a blast. Been playing mostly blind (I did crack to find the entrance to the depraved sanctuary).

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I don't think they've put out a launch date yet? Haven't seen anything on the discord chat yet, and they're pretty ravenous for news.

Huh, I was sure it was launching on 16th of February for some reason but now that I went looking I can't find an official date. Weird.

*looks at the thread topic* ... maybe I mixed it with Feburary 2016. :P

Mirkel on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    I have been playing this for a couple of weeks..I have been using what's called a Stormcaller build by someone named Zappa on the Grim Dawn forums. It's an Arcanist+Shaman lightning build with totems and wind devils while utilizing heavy armor. It's been crazy fun so far into the early 60's level wise.

• Options
    Found out you can bind most of the devotion skills to pets, so that's that problem solved. The first devotion skill I got was a summon and that one didn't work for pets but the next one was just an AE fire attack and that works perfectly with my Hellhound, both thematically and tactically.

• Options
    Noquar wrote: »
    I have been playing this for a couple of weeks..I have been using what's called a Stormcaller build by someone named Zappa on the Grim Dawn forums. It's an Arcanist+Shaman lightning build with totems and wind devils while utilizing heavy armor. It's been crazy fun so far into the early 60's level wise.

Good to know. My Battlemage was facerolling until 30 and now he dies a lot. I have a feeling it is going to get worse going forward so I'm looking for ideas. My only issue is I don't want a pure pet build.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options

Good to know. My Battlemage was facerolling until 30 and now he dies a lot. I have a feeling it is going to get worse going forward so I'm looking for ideas. My only issue is I don't want a pure pet build.

Things to consider if you're dying a lot: Maiven's Sphere of Protection. High energy cost, but one of the best damage mitigation abilities in the game. You can switch to using a shield if you're not atm and Soldier has a lot of support for that--Overguard effectively makes you immune to physical damage while it's up if you have a shield to use it, and Shield Training is great as well. Minhir's Will is helpful for not dying. Military Conditioning gives you raw health to not die with.

Basically Battlemage is like the most survivable class there is except for maybe 2H melee warder, so just weigh your options and don't feel bad if you have to use the spirit guide to respec into more defensive skills.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Besides the build advice above, you could also check your gear and resists. Bleed and poison/acid can do ridiculous damage if you have low resists, see if you can upgrade some older low armor gear into better equipment, put on a few +health pieces and so on. Better to switch to more survivable gear and spec now at 30 than to be utterly shocked when you start Elite around 45-50.

• Options
    Okay, a few things...

Holy shit does my savagery dude need AoE. Wow. I have a 20% chance to trigger Belgothian's Shears and hit three dudes and...that's it. Ouch.

Where do you get life leech? I fucking NEED it, and haven't seen it on even a single item. I need potions like every single damn mob pack.

Can you roll base damage anything other than phys? I can get an metric shit load of bleed and pierce scaling but where would I get the actual bleed and pierce damage to scale?

• Options
    Okay, a few things...

Holy shit does my savagery dude need AoE. Wow. I have a 20% chance to trigger Belgothian's Shears and hit three dudes and...that's it. Ouch.

Where do you get life leech? I fucking NEED it, and haven't seen it on even a single item. I need potions like every single damn mob pack.

Can you roll base damage anything other than phys? I can get an metric shit load of bleed and pierce scaling but where would I get the actual bleed and pierce damage to scale?

I've filled in the relevant skills on this build, at least in the shaman tree: http://grimcalc.com/build/Z0OrA7

Feral Hunger gives you lifesteal. 41% Attack Damage converted to Health means you lifesteal 41% of the damage you do, and it also does bleeding damage. Upheaval gives you some AoE and more bleed damage, but relies on crits, so you want high OA for that (but you want high OA on most builds anyway). Wendingo Totem has a heal aura and does vitality damage in a fair AoE, it's a good survivability skill.

You can roll base damage on a weapon other than phys, and pierce is actually one of the main ones--if a weapon says 27% weapon piercing, that means it actually converts 27% of your physical damage to piercing damage. This is one of the main differences between similar level weapons (like there's 5 different guns at a level that vary between 15% and 30% armor piercing, depending if you want more physical or more piercing damage). Some other items, usually spellblades and epics/legendaries, can come with inherent elemental/aether damage in its base as well.

Whirling Death in the Nightblade line, beyond Belgothian's Shears, is a big AoE that does lots of bleed damage and some pierce damage, as well.

If you desperately need AoE you can also pick up the Tidal constellation in the devotion window (directly above the crossroads in the middle), of which you can probably only use the lightning damage you get from brute force and savagery, but then you can bind the devotion skill at the end of the tree to savagery and it's a pretty good AoE attack in front of you with a very high proc rate (35% on damaging an enemy).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Feral Hunger only works with 2h weapons though. @JihadJesus is using DW.

My Nightblade used Pneumatic Burst (with Breath of Belgothian) and Blade Barrier for healing though she also had some life steal as well. I think they nerfed lifesteal on items a patch or two back and it's really hard to get good lifesteal any more. Some weapons have X% chance for Y% lifesteal but they aren't all that great given how random that is. Using a lot of potions isn't really a problem though as long as you can survive between the potion CD and don't actually run out of them. It's not like they are expensive or hard to get.

• Options
    Ohhhh right, silly me, of course they're dualwielding if they're using shears. Right, sorry, just so used to savagery shamans doing 2h I hadn't thought about not being a 2h character. But yeah, Pneumatic Burst is GREAT ability, especially with Breath of Belgothian, which you can use since you're already dual wielding.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I'm aiming for something like this build: http://grimcalc.com/build/gdlT5e

But I've been beelining for whirling death because I'm so desperate for AoE. I may just need to stop and dump points into Pneumatic Burst, Tenacity of the Bear, and Blade Barrier. Maybe turn it down from Veteran to earn some skill points in the meantime.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    I'm aiming for something like this build: http://grimcalc.com/build/gdlT5e

But I've been beelining for whirling death because I'm so desperate for AoE. I may just need to stop and dump points into Pneumatic Burst, Tenacity of the Bear, and Blade Barrier. Maybe turn it down from Veteran to earn some skill points in the meantime.

If you have the earlier WPS procs in the nightblade tree maxed out, I'd suggest putting them down to 5, which is where their chances to proc plateau at. You can reinvest in them later for the extra DPS, but early on levels 6-8 probably aren't worth the skill point that can go to getting more skills in your arsenal.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm only going to 5 until I have the tree more filled out. I think I've got up through quick cut and now just have been piling up Nightblade Mastery while leaving the utility skills as one point wonders.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Just a reminder

signature.png

Still haven't seen an official release date yet, but somebody will be playing the game this weekend ;)

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    My Warlock is 60 now and it's getting damn hard to figure out what's really going on in any given battle. I mean, I get the broad strokes but when I try to hone my build and devotions I have no idea if my revenant's poison cloud is doing 2% or 5% or 15% of my total damage. I don't know what resists my opponents have and DoT damage is just a stream of little numbers. It was a fair bit easier when I was playing a Nightblade but a pet build is a lot more complex and it's often impossible to know what is causing any given shown damage number. There's some numbers I can't even see, like pet resists or pet elemental damage bonuses. Maybe I should do some rudimentary testing with the early Act I mobs and one pet at a time.

Lots of fun though, just giving me a headache when I'm looking at gear or skill upgrades. Also boss battles are me doing the Benny Hill impersonation with the boss running after me and all my pets nipping at the boss's heels.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I'm still inching along lol. Got my demolitionist up to....9. Single shot fireball shot thing seems pretty powerful though. I think the biggest problem I have with this game is the aesthetic. I really love that it's sort of a gothic setting, but for some reason it's just not translating into this engine well, imho. I just think the screen seems to be more cluttered than Titan Quest ever was and honestly most of the enemies/armor/weapons look kind of bland. I'm really hoping that's because I'm such a low level.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I'm still inching along lol. Got my demolitionist up to....9. Single shot fireball shot thing seems pretty powerful though. I think the biggest problem I have with this game is the aesthetic. I really love that it's sort of a gothic setting, but for some reason it's just not translating into this engine well, imho. I just think the screen seems to be more cluttered than Titan Quest ever was and honestly most of the enemies/armor/weapons look kind of bland. I'm really hoping that's because I'm such a low level.

Early on if you put a lot of points into an ability that does fixed damage it can get very powerful for a while. Eventually you'll need to balance your build more, work on defenses and so on so enjoy blowing everything up with ease as long as you can.

Enemies, armor or weapons don't really start looking much more impressive later on but some of the big spells can be rather epic. There's a lot going on on the screen in battles - explosions, charging enemies, debuff and buff icons flashing, pets getting summoned, meteors falling from the sky and so on. It's not perfect though, there's this muddy quality to it all. My lvl 61 warlock looks like Darth Hobo, which is sorta appropriate for the post-apocalyptic world but doesn't give me the pretty princess dress-up satisfaction. They've said the next patch improves the map art, that might help a bit with the overall look of it.

• Options
    The map art in the new patch looks really goddamn good

there's some screenshots in the "grim misadventures" threads on the official forums

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I'm playing a Stormcaller build that was linked earlier in this thread. It is more fun than my self made Battlemage and I'm level 48. I'll see how far I can take this toon before thinking about melee (which is generally a terrible idea in ARPGs)/

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    melee in this is good but definitely harder than ranged when ur new unless you go fairly defensive

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Again, 2H melee Warder is probably the most survivable class in the game (huge amounts of raw health and lifeleech is very very good in ultimate), so melee definitely works. There is also a popular melee dual wielding sorceress build that can shrek things in ultimate (the build thread for that hasn't been updated since B29 but he's hoping to get the B31 version up once the patch is live).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm already thinking about respeccing my dual wielder to 2h for no other reason than that easily available leech. I mean, there HAS to be some relatively easily craftable relic or mob specific drop that gives leech, right? It's just fucking annoying to play a melee character without it.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm already thinking about respeccing my dual wielder to 2h for no other reason than that easily available leech. I mean, there HAS to be some relatively easily craftable relic or mob specific drop that gives leech, right? It's just fucking annoying to play a melee character without it.

yeah leech is weirdly hard to get when ur a beginner

if u really feel a jonesin theres some in devotion

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016

yeah leech is weirdly hard to get when ur a beginner

if u really feel a jonesin theres some in devotion

Even devotion only has 3% in Bat and another 3% in Revenant. Bat does add a nice celestial power that also drains life though. Looking through the list of devotion powers there's a lot of useless tiny regen bonuses in there. They were talking about changing a lot of devotion powers in the next patch too, IIRC.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    I think the lifesteal devotion people usually go for is Wendingo, at least for the celestial power that gives you 50% lifesteal.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I think the lifesteal devotion people usually go for is Wendingo, at least for the celestial power that gives you 50% lifesteal.

Huh, didn't notice that at all. That does seem ridiculously better than piddly 3% and it adds a hefty amount of vitality damage to your attacks as well.

• Options
    I'll have to check that one out. I should also apparently be able to make hollowed ang at the blacksmith sometime soon, which has enough for now probably.

• Options
    So I did Steps of Torment but didn't know the layout so I got caught in the hallway and couldn't bob and weave. Died pretty fast and was level 50. Luckily not HC.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    If you ragdoll Overseers or other beholder-wannabes they fall down and start rolling around the ground like huge beachballs. :D