Options

Mechwarrior Online: They've just gone obtuse!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The dakka might be high pitched, but it will be total.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    So if MGs are gonna have 1 DPS, I wonder about putting 6 of them on a Jager DD. Would you be able to get close enough to the enemy though. Jager so slow.

I can also verify that the Jager will do a little over 84kph with a 340XL engine in it...at least, that's what my FB does when I'm not downgrading the engine so I can squeeze in more MLs

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I would kill for an engine sale. These engines are so damn expensive.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Sure, but a couple of the right engines get you set almost forever; I only have the 280XL, 300XL, and 350XL. The 350XL currently just sits collecting dust in my now-gimped Sprinturion, but the 280XL and 300XL drive anything I don't use a standard engine in. I've got something like 6-7 mechs that swap in those two engines, which has saved a huge amount of roboto dinero.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I'm fair? <3

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So if MGs are gonna have 1 DPS, I wonder about putting 6 of them on a Jager DD. Would you be able to get close enough to the enemy though. Jager so slow.

I can also verify that the Jager will do a little over 84kph with a 340XL engine in it...at least, that's what my FB does when I'm not downgrading the engine so I can squeeze in more MLs

The Firebrand has the Pay2GoFast bonus, other Jagers top out with a 315. The FB only has two ballistic points, not enough dakka.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

Sure, but a couple of the right engines get you set almost forever; I only have the 280XL, 300XL, and 350XL. The 350XL currently just sits collecting dust in my now-gimped Sprinturion, but the 280XL and 300XL drive anything I don't use a standard engine in. I've got something like 6-7 mechs that swap in those two engines, which has saved a huge amount of roboto dinero.

XL340, 300, 280 for Catapults, Cataphracts, Jenners, Dragons, Awesomes, Wang, Sprinturion
    XL330, 320 for Cicadas
    XL255 for the 4X and Spiders
    XL260 for Jagers
    XL220 for Commandos

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Yeah they are great once you have them however the initial cost of entry is enormous.

• Options
    Since Open Beta I've pretty much only used the XL255 and XL300. The XL255 is the same weight as the XL250, so you get some free speed with your 10 heat sinks. I've had my eye on the XL340 for awhile, and it will probably be the next one I get someday.

The harder part is what mech I want to master next. Without CW in, I'm not really inspired by any of the choices, but I'll probably round out my collection of Atlases so I can finally master my DDC.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Yeah they are great once you have them however the initial cost of entry is enormous.

An XL engine doesn't cost any more than a single mech. For instance: an XL 210 costs 3.4m, and a Commando to put it in costs 3.3m - 3.4m before you even start putting on weapons or ECM. That's 3.3m-3.4m just for the stock mech (I'm including the 1.5m C-Bills for DHSs, which is just part of the cost of every mech).

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I just grind up enough to get the engine I want for each 'mech. Because of this, I have a lot fewer 'mechs than some do, but I'm OK with that. I personally don't like constantly swapping engines and having multiple 'mechs without powerplants at any given time.

• Options

i think the only one ive outright bought was the XL340. all the others came with mechs ive bought.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I just grind up enough to get the engine I want for each 'mech. Because of this, I have a lot fewer 'mechs than some do, but I'm OK with that. I personally don't like constantly swapping engines and having multiple 'mechs without powerplants at any given time.

playing the engine/module shuffle is a PITA with almost 40 mechs to scroll through.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

XL340, 300, 280 for Catapults, Cataphracts, Jenners, Dragons, Awesomes, Wang, Sprinturion
    XL330, 320 for Cicadas
    XL260 for Jagers
    XL220 for Commandos

When the Clans show up, we all know whose garage to loot when things do down.

What are you, Scrooge McRobot?

• Options

playing the engine/module shuffle is a PITA with almost 40 mechs to scroll through.

This. I'd like to think the amount of time invested evens out in the long run. :mrgreen:

• Options

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I still think my idea for introducing the urbanmech should be that it does SUCK. As in, it should have all the shittiness that you can muster, and it should cost 100million Cbills.

That would put it into the realm of "prestige item" and then PGI can have "urbanmech madness" weekends where you get to compete in your urbanmechs for most damage etc. and even though it would be cheesy it would be hilarious. Also, they should make all camo-schemes for it activated by default (you'd still have to buy colors), and even have custom "theme" camos.

In essence, it should be the golden egg that only invested players have by grinding the FUCK out of cbills to get it and then it should be a novelty item at best.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    What is the nerf they are doing to PPCs?

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options

Additional heat penalty the more of them you fire at once, starting with four PPC's if memory serves.

It is not just a PPC nerf, as they are probably going to implement something like it for firing big stacks of any kind of weapon. But the limit of how many you can fire before suffering a penalty and how big the penalty is will vary from weapon to weapon. And it's pretty clearly aimed at PPC's.

• Options

Pfft, I'll let you guys fight over your IS engines. I'm gonna pry some Clan tech from their cold dead robots.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular

Additional heat penalty the more of them you fire at once, starting with four PPC's if memory serves.

It is not just a PPC nerf, as they are probably going to implement something like it for firing big stacks of any kind of weapon. But the limit of how many you can fire before suffering a penalty and how big the penalty is will vary from weapon to weapon. And it's pretty clearly aimed at PPC's.

That seems both fair and reasonable. My memory of other companies handling of nerfs leaves me confused at their design decisions.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options

That seems both fair and reasonable. My memory of other companies handling of nerfs leaves me confused at their design decisions.

If you've gone this long without getting confused at PGI's design decisions, you're a better man than I. Or...a man much comfortable with ambiguity, randomness, and cognitive dissonance than I. :P

But it seems like a reasonable change in theory, as long as they don't apply it too heavily to weapons that don't need it. Everybody knows it's all about PPC's.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    kilnborn wrote: »

An XL engine doesn't cost any more than a single mech. For instance: an XL 210 costs 3.4m, and a Commando to put it in costs 3.3m - 3.4m before you even start putting on weapons or ECM. That's 3.3m-3.4m just for the stock mech (I'm including the 1.5m C-Bills for DHSs, which is just part of the cost of every mech).

Single mechs are pretty expensive too. Lately I have been lucky to clear 100k per match. If I play 5 matches a day, and play every day, which is generous, I could afford that XL210 in a week. But in this instance I want an XL340 if I want to max out my Jager's speed so I can get close with machine guns. That's 5.5 million. So about 11 days of playing, but possibly more if I do poorly. 11 days for an engine is a big investment for me. Even one week is a sizable investment for one item.

And then more playing to buy the rest of the parts. The builds I find or put together for the mechs I'm interested in routinely total 10 to 15 million. For a new player who doesn't have a lot of money saved away and doesn't have a big C-bill income items like the engine are very costly. I am not saying they should be cheaper but it's a fact that they dominate my thoughts and I do whatever I can to avoid buying one when what I'd prefer to do is spend money on various mechs so I can try different styles of play.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

Pfft, I'll let you guys fight over your IS engines. I'm gonna pry some Clan tech from their cold dead robots.

cyberhearts.jpg

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    It's true. I will murder all of the Ravens.

I have 50 mech bays, 3 of which are unoccupied. Guess which 3 mechs will never occupy a slot in my mech lab?

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »

Single mechs are pretty expensive too. Lately I have been lucky to clear 100k per match. If I play 5 matches a day, and play every day, which is generous, I could afford that XL210 in a week. But in this instance I want an XL340 if I want to max out my Jager's speed so I can get close with machine guns. That's 5.5 million. So about 11 days of playing, but possibly more if I do poorly. 11 days for an engine is a big investment for me. Even one week is a sizable investment for one item.

And then more playing to buy the rest of the parts. The builds I find or put together for the mechs I'm interested in routinely total 10 to 15 million. For a new player who doesn't have a lot of money saved away and doesn't have a big C-bill income items like the engine are very costly. I am not saying they should be cheaper but it's a fact that they dominate my thoughts and I do whatever I can to avoid buying one when what I'd prefer to do is spend money on various mechs so I can try different styles of play.

Do not get the 340xl for Jager and MGs. IIRC the 340xl is max for the Firebrand which only has 2 ballistic slots. Tun the DD with a 300xl for MG and LPLas goodness.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Actually the original MGmeister that TOG and Trask and I ran was:

JM6-DD w/ ES, DHS, 300std, 6x MG, 2x LPLas, AMS, 1T AMS, 6T MG Ammo

(armor is 100% except each leg is 41 pts)

Capsaicin on
  • Options
    Yeah I looked at the DD's wiki later and it looks like the biggest engine it supports is a 315 anyway? I own a 300XL so I might go with that unless something doesn't fit.

• Options

XL330, 320 for Cicadas
    XL260 for Jagers
    XL220 for Commandos

Just a Mech enthusiast. ;)

I still regret my 3 Trebuchets. I have 2 Jenners, 3 Commandos, 1 Raven, 2 Spiders, 3 Cicadas, 3 Hunchbacks, 3 Centurions, 3 Trebuchets, 5 Cataphracts, 3 Catapults, 3 Dragons, 4 Jagermechs, 1 Awesome and 1 Atlas.

4 of those are Founders, 6 are Heros.

I have sold 1 commando and 1 Atlas.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    altmann wrote: »
    Fuck me baby was sick all weekend I barely got any Mechwarrior in. Oh well i popped on for a sec but I realized it was midnight and I couldn't start doing 4 mans or I'd be up WAY too late. I'll try to get some games in this week.

The real question here is how fast is that new brewery's Internet connection. (And will they let us set up our gaming rigs for a night of epic stomping fueled by delicious local brew, but why would they say no to that?) That should be our next Saturday.

P.S. I shall bring Urbie sock puppet if you can make this happen.

Kusmeroglu on
    x5jS9QJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I looked at the DD's wiki later and it looks like the biggest engine it supports is a 315 anyway? I own a 300XL so I might go with that unless something doesn't fit.

Not sure how you'd make up the weight with an XL, I'd suggest sticking with a Standard. Something like this:

[JM6-DD]: 6xMG, 2xERPPC, 300STD, DHS, Endo
    [JM6-DD]: 6xMG, 2xERPPC, 315STD, DHS, Endo

nonoffensive on
  • Options

Not sure how you'd make up the weight with an XL, I'd suggest sticking with a Standard. Something like this:

Man, six machine guns are gonna go through just one ton of ammo awfully fast...

• Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    Rumors of going over 150% heat will cause your mech to take internal damage regardless of override or not as yet another mechanic to control meta-killing, cheese builds. I personally think it should be 125%, but PGI can always adjust it lower later if they feel it's not enough at 150%.

I have a very strong hatred for broken, unbalanced PPC boaters.

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular

That's what I was thinking when I put FIVE TONS of MG ammo on my jäger the other night. 10000 Dakkas is undakkable in a 15 minute match. I did try my best tho.

x5jS9QJ.png
  • Options
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »

That's what I was thinking when I put FIVE TONS of MG ammo on my jäger the other night. 10000 Dakkas is undakkable in a 15 minute match. I did try my best tho.

You had to have posted that from your phone to get the umlaut auto correct on the Jäger.

• Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »

You had to have posted that from your phone to get the umlaut auto correct on the Jäger.

In my experience, a Jager in MG range has about 30 seconds before magically turning into a smoking metal donut. 2000 rounds at 10/sec times 6 is 33 seconds.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    There once was a 'Mech from Nantuckett...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    Fuck me baby was sick all weekend I barely got any Mechwarrior in. Oh well i popped on for a sec but I realized it was midnight and I couldn't start doing 4 mans or I'd be up WAY too late. I'll try to get some games in this week.

The real question here is how fast is that new brewery's Internet connection. (And will they let us set up our gaming rigs for a night of epic stomping fueled by delicious local brew, but why would they say no to that?) That should be our next Saturday.

P.S. I shall bring Urbie sock puppet if you can make this happen.

I can't guarantee anything, but with enough beers we can pretend to play stompybots and scare the other patrons. The nice thing is that the Dunedin Brewery, House of Beers and the 7th Sun (the new one) are all within like a block of eachother!

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Been doing a touch of Jenner grinding to get back into the swing of things for patch tomorrow. Came across a fair bit of your usual dumb stuff, but I also had the delicious good fortune of coming across a hexaStalker just as it fired off the alpha strike that shut it down.

That 20 seconds of cooldown was a lot longer for him than for me; when he woke up, his CT way deep into the red from behind and I had to get moving because a couple of Atlases started covering him. Too bad for him there was plenty of hilly terrain around, which makes a jumpjetting light a total nightmare to hit. He still got off one of those bullshit point-blank PPC salvos that nearly managed to one-shot my side torso, but I got on his backside with some jumpjetting and raked 6 MLASes across his back to bring him down.

Yeah, it was a good thing.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular