Options

Mechwarrior Online: They've just gone obtuse!

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I'm seeing some new names in this thread, I sure hope you guys are getting in Vent and dropping with Oosiks. It's a completely different game when you aren't surrounded by pubbies...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Docken wrote: »
    So... does anybody have those nights where you just keep getting dropped into a gank fest over and over... and you're on the wrong side of said gank fest?

I hate those nights.

I had a day and a half losing streak late last week. Grouping up with Oosiks on the weekend finally broke the bad mojo.

Get in Vent and group with Oosiks! 'Tis optimal, for sure.

M!ttens - The model designator for the Spider is wrong in the Mechlab. Should be SDR, not SPD.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    However I think we are going to have to revisit Kablamalance.

Maybe we won't get Alpine next time :D

How do I miss these things??

Be glad you did. It was very very very sad.

Also I tried the Kablamabrand with 6x MLas instead of 2x LLas. I think the multitude of MLas is too hot running and you are gimped on range.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So... does anybody have those nights where you just keep getting dropped into a gank fest over and over... and you're on the wrong side of said gank fest?

I hate those nights.

I call those nights "Backlog Notifications."

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    I'm seeing some new names in this thread, I sure hope you guys are getting in Vent and dropping with Oosiks. It's a completely different game when you aren't surrounded by pubbies...

Only for Oosik's? I am always on, but have another unit I run with as well. Any issues if I popped on every so often?

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I hate those nights.

Yeaaaah.

Last night I had a few matches like that. Sometimes it just feels inexplicable which way the tide turns. But since I was in my Jager I didn't care as much because I just wanted to spray enemies with more AC2 fire.

• Options
    As long as you're Oosik'ing along with us in Vent, not in the least, I'd imagine.

IN OTHER NEWS:

I like numbers. Would you like to see some numbers? About MWO's mechs, their speeds, and the amount of free weight for a given speed? Then this link is for you:
    Mech Free Weights, Speed vs. Mech Tonnage

I realize this has been done more than a few times before, but I've hated every presentation of the data I've seen. I prefer tables of numbers. So there you go.

And now I'm spent. And have to do some real work, at work. Blech.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular

Only for Oosik's? I am always on, but have another unit I run with as well. Any issues if I popped on every so often?

We welcome everyone as long as you like at least 2 of the following:
    Stompy robots
    Lasers
    Whiskey
    Dakka
    Wang jokes
    Dakka

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    heckels wrote: »

Stompy robots
    Lasers
    Whiskey
    Dakka
    Wang jokes
    Dakka

Also you must dislike at least one of the following:
    Ravens
    Poptarts
    PPCboats
    Alpine

• Options

Posting here makes you an Oosik. There's really nothing more to the membership than that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    heckels wrote: »

Stompy robots
    Lasers
    Whiskey
    Dakka
    Wang jokes
    Dakka

Also you must dislike at least one of the following:
    Ravens
    Poptarts
    PPCboats
    Alpine

I dislike all those things!

<3

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    b-but

I don't hate any of those

and I love Alpine

D:

• Options
    I like Alpine, in my Jenner.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    GET OUT

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    As long as you're Oosik'ing along with us in Vent, not in the least, I'd imagine.

IN OTHER NEWS:

I like numbers. Would you like to see some numbers? About MWO's mechs, their speeds, and the amount of free weight for a given speed? Then this link is for you:

I realize this has been done more than a few times before, but I've hated every presentation of the data I've seen. I prefer tables of numbers. So there you go.

I'm a little unclear on what your definition of 'optimal' is?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »

IN OTHER NEWS:

Without looking at the doc, it's probably a speed vs weight ratio. Being that after a certain weight you get diminished returns. Does it take into account number of internal heat sinks? For some builds where weight isn't really an issue, packing in a larger engine is preferred because it allows more internal sinks which frees up critical slots for more pewpew or even more DHSs.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2013

IN OTHER NEWS:

"Optimal": For a given mech speed there exists a chassis that, after accounting for required internals and the engine weight, provides the largest amount of free weight to mount weapons and equipment in.

@Capsaicin: The numbers only account for cases where additional heat sink weight would be required outside of the engine (i.e. the base 10 heat sinks aren't all in the engine). It doesn't account for critical spaces, which is freed up by using the heavier engines.

Nips on
  • Options
    "Optimal": For a given mech speed, there exists a chassis that, after accounting for required internals and the engine weight, provides the largest amount of free space to mount weapons and equipment in.

@Capsaicin: The numbers only account for cases where additional heat sink weight would be required outside of the engine (i.e. the base 10 heat sinks aren't all in the engine). It doesn't account for critical spaces, which is freed up by using the heavier engines.
    Oh, I see. It's based on the SPEED and not the CHASSIS, and assigns the best chassis for the speed you want to go at.

Makes way more sense now. I put together a graph aaaaages ago in tabletop to do something similar, and I remember that 55 ton mechs were pretty good at certain speeds. And odd-numbered walk speeds were also optimal, which doesn't apply here.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Haha that video is great. It's true that the cockpit window is really nice, too.

• Options
    "Optimal": For a given mech speed, there exists a chassis that, after accounting for required internals and the engine weight, provides the largest amount of free space to mount weapons and equipment in.

Oh, I see. It's based on the SPEED and not the CHASSIS, and assigns the best chassis for the speed you want to go at.

Makes way more sense now. I put together a graph aaaaages ago in tabletop to do something similar, and I remember that 55 ton mechs were pretty good at certain speeds. And odd-numbered walk speeds were also optimal, which doesn't apply here.

You can also flip it the other way: For a given chassis, there is a speed above which trying to go faster results in rapidly diminishing returns in spare weight (as Cap mentioned).

There can still be good reasons to do so (Fast Dragons, Sprinturion, etc.), but that should be a conscious build decision.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    im sorry, that vid is an inaccurate representation. that quickdraw should have gone down in a hail of triple uac5 gunfire a little better than peter weller in robocop...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    b-but

I don't hate any of those

and I love Alpine

D:

You're dead to me.

• Options
    If you are running long range weapons or something really fast (or both), then Alpine isn't so bad. But it seems that most people run brawler builds which is really frustrating to play on Alpine. That or the frustration of getting BZOT'd from 1000m away with 4+ PPCs.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So, I know it's a bit of a pipe dream since no one has ever bothered to actually include mechanics for them in previous MW games, but I'm curious what peoples thoughts on melee mechs in this game were. Like, would a mech like the Hatchetman or Berserker have any value or would the opportunity to bash people be too infrequent to be worthwhile?

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So, I know it's a bit of a pipe dream since no one has ever bothered to actually include mechanics for them in previous MW games, but I'm curious what peoples thoughts on melee mechs in this game were. Like, would a mech like the Hatchetman or Berserker have any value or would the opportunity to bash people be too infrequent to be worthwhile?

I find myself face/ass hugging quite frequently depending on the mech I'm driving.

If I could zap an Atlas in the back with 6+ MLas from my HBK-4P and then punch him in the brown starfish... I'd giggle till I peed myself.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    you'd be surprised how easy it is to close and get into a furball in all manner of mechs.

melee mechs would totally have a chance to work their magic in MWO. The big concern with melee weapons would be how much power they had in their attacks, and pubs would be fodder for it (like most other weapons)

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    My fear is that people would focus on the hacky/slashy aspect of MWO instead of it being "A thinking man's shooter".

The last thing I want is for MWO to turn into CoD with it's plasma sword (insta-kill knife).

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I find myself face/ass hugging quite frequently depending on the mech I'm driving.

If I could zap an Atlas in the back with 6+ MLas from my HBK-4P and then punch him in the brown starfish... I'd giggle till I peed myself.

I'm thinking more along the lines of punch open the armor back there and unloading an LB10X into the opening. A true shotgun enema, to be sure!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I'm thinking more along the lines of punch open the armor back there and unloading an LB10X into the opening. A true shotgun enema, to be sure!
    This is something I would love to do in say, a Banshee.

10 point damage punches, 100% of the weapons in the torso. I would mount twin LB10X on that 95 ton beast, easy.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular

infrequent? Are you kidding? I would be loading up every mech with the biggest engine possible, and a melee weapon and a LB10X. All you know from me would be a kidney punch to the back, then kablam! Then manic laughter fading away.

• Options
    Call of Duty : Stompy Modern Black Robots Ops Warfare Elite Limited Edition

No thanks.

• Options
    I think they could do melee properly. What's the difference between a melee strike and a very short range weapon that takes no ammo and only generates a little heat? I don't think they would make it insta-kill, that would just be silly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Melee weapons by themselves can't turn MWO into Call of Duty. They wouldn't be insta-kill and you'd still be piloting a mech with non-instantaneous turning and acceleration.

Unless you bought the ninja sword for 10,000 MC, that would make you invisible and instantly decapitate mechs.

• Options
    Melee attacks in the board game have a very specific set of rules.

Kicks hit the legs, and do tonnage/5 damage. KICKS KILL LIGHTS.

Punches hit the partial table, and do tonnage/10 damage. You can't punch if you have weapons in the arms that are recycling.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So I was going through the latest Ask The Devs and found this:
    GB Tarkus: When can we expect to see SLI/Crossfire and TrackIR in game.
    A: When our team has extra time.

The wording of that answer REALLY sounds like a "Fuck you". I've got a Radeon 5770 and a 5750 in Crossfire, and my performance is great in every other modern game that I've played. Since Crossfire STILL gives me flickering in MWO, I'm stuck running on one card, at 25-35 FPS. It's quite frustrating.

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Melee attacks in the board game have a very specific set of rules.

Kicks hit the legs, and do tonnage/5 damage. KICKS KILL LIGHTS.

Punches hit the partial table, and do tonnage/10 damage. You can't punch if you have weapons in the arms that are recycling.

I'm sorry wait just a second.

You are telling me, I can KICK a Raven-3L to death?

How much money do i need to send PGI for this to be a thing?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    GG Patch notes

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/123071-patch-day-june-18th/

Spoiled for those poor souls at work.

Servers will be coming down at 10am PDT and will return by (at least) 1pm PDT. I will be updating this topic as things happen, so stay tuned!

PATCHNOTES:

UPDATE

Give me a Q! Q!

Give me a U! U!

Give me an I! I .... don't want to do that any more. I want to stomp around in a new 'Mech. F.Y.I. I was spelling "Quickdraw", which is the new 'Mech.
    This heavy 'Mech weighs in at 60 tons and likes long walks on the beach, as long as there is glorious 'Mech combat at the end of that beach.

What happened to the Orion? The factory had some issues with orbital bombardment... production of the Orion will resume once the factory can be rebuilt. These 'Mechs don't just grow on trees, you know.

Which reminds me of a joke. If a tree falls in a forest... you must not be playing MWO.

We also added a new Champion 'Mech and made it a trial at the same time. The HBK - 4P©. A nice loadout at a good price with a 10% XP boost. Try it then buy it.

Design is tweaking weapon numbers, so read on and if you think this patch is small, all I can say is enjoy the calm before the storm because big things are aligning for July.

Many, many, things.

See you on the Battlefield

Matt Newman

Content

New Battlemechs

Quickdraw QKD-4G

Tonnage: 60
    Engine: 300

Top Speed: 81 kph
    Max Engine Rating: 360
    Torso Movement:

100 degrees to each side.
    25 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:

35 degrees to each side.
    40 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 256 (Standard)
    Internal Structure: Standard
    Weapons & Equipment:

Left Arm: Medium Laser
    Left Torso: LRM 10
    Center Torso: SRM 4
    Right Torso: Medium Laser x2
    Right Arm: Medium Laser
    Hardpoints:

Left Arm: 1 Energy
    Left Torso: 1 Missile, 1 AMS
    Center Torso: 1 Missile
    Right Torso: 2 Energy
    Right Arm: 1 Energy
    Heat Sinks: 13 Single
    Jump Jets: 5 (7 Max)
    ECM Capable?: No
    Module Slots: 2
    Quirks: +33% arm movement speed

Quickdraw QKD-4H

Torso Movement:

90 degrees to each side.
    20 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:

30 degrees to each side.
    35 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 256 (Standard)
    Weapons & Equipment:

Left Torso: LRM 10
    Hardpoints:

Left Torso: 2 Missile, 1 AMS
    Heat Sinks: 13 Single
    Jump Jets: 5 (5 Max)

Quickdraw QKD-5K

Torso Movement:

90 degrees to each side.
    20 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:

30 degrees to each side.
    35 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 286 (Ferro-Fibrous)
    Weapons & Equipment:

Left Torso: Medium Laser x2
    Hardpoints:

Left Torso: 2 Energy, 1 AMS
    Heat Sinks: 17 Double
    Jump Jets: 5 (5 Max)

New Champion Battlemech

Hunchback HBK-4P©

Tonnage: 50
    Engine: 260

Top Speed: 84.2 kph
    Max Engine Rating: 260
    Torso Movement:

120 degrees to each side.
    16 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:

40 degrees to each side.
    28 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 338 (Standard)
    Internal Structure: Endo-Steel
    Weapons & Equipment:

Head: Medium Laser
    Right Torso: Medium Laser x6
    Hardpoints:

Head: 1 Energy
    Left Torso: 1 AMS
    Right Torso: 6 Energy
    Heat Sinks: 18 Double
    Jump Jets: 0 (0 Max)
    Module Slots: 1
    10% XP Bonus.

Cockpit Items

Spider Statue.

Maps

Slight change to out of bounds location in River City (and River City Night) near upper city capture base to allow 'Mechs walking within visual city limits to not be considered out of bounds. Mini-map updated accordingly.
    Completed art beautification pass and asset optimization pass on Caustic Valley.
    Updated lighting in Caustic Valley - Extended fog distance, Extended depth of field distance, increased cloud layer fog amount, added fog pools to tailing ponds, general sunlight and ambient light tweaks.

Gameplay

Weapons

Flamer damage increased to 0.7 (up from 0.4).
    Machine Gun damage increased to 0.1 (up from 0.08).
    Pulse Laser Normalization (See Command Chair post on this).

Small Pulse Laser damage up to 3.4 (up from 3.0) and heat lowered to 2.4 (down from 3.0).
    Large Pulse Laser damage up to 10.6 (up from 10.0) and heat increased to 8.5 (up from 7.3).

Bug Fixes

Extended view distance on many buildings on River City to solve problem where low spec machines were seeing through buildings or buildings were disappearing completely potentially revealing hidden 'Mechs.
    Fixed various level stuck bugs.
    Fixed some issues that were occurring in the Front End.
    Made more improvements to the bandwidth costs.
    Fixed a few crash issues some users were having.

General

Improved Lance and Team order icons for better visibility on the compass, mini-map and battlegrid.
    The F9 button displaying FPS and location has been removed and is being reworked.

We thank you for your patience and we look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

- The MechWarrior® Online™ Team

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    No heat mechanic changes. Cheese boaters will rule for yet another patch cycle.

Great job PGI.

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I was going through the latest Ask The Devs and found this:
    GB Tarkus: When can we expect to see SLI/Crossfire and TrackIR in game.
    A: When our team has extra time.

The wording of that answer REALLY sounds like a "Fuck you". I've got a Radeon 5770 and a 5750 in Crossfire, and my performance is great in every other modern game that I've played. Since Crossfire STILL gives me flickering in MWO, I'm stuck running on one card, at 25-35 FPS. It's quite frustrating.

Not to disparage PGI or anything, since I'm sure they're working their butts off adding content, reacting to imbalances/bugs/anomalies, etc... but that answer is a little half-hearted. I mean, sure, TrackIR would be nice, but I hardly expect that they'll add compatibility anytime soon since there are bound to be a tiny percentage of people playing MWO who actually have the thing (I'm one of those that do...couldn't live without it in my DCS games!)...but to, as you put it, basically say a "Fuck you" to people with SLI/Crossfire rigs is certainly not going to win them many favors. :S

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |