Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Brad is a great host because it forces him to pay attention instead of falling asleep

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Count me among the many who were pleasantly surprised to find that Brad is a great host. Like, seriously awesome. Good at directing conversation. Thoughtful input. Is it mean to say I'm shocked?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    can't be sleepy sandwich phone brad if he's gotta do shit. i usually like brad when he's actually there mentally, it's just a rare occurrence.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I was surprised. He's usually my least favorite contributor, but as host he does a darn good job.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The sentiment seems to be "Oh no, Brad. Oh wait, Brad is actually great! Oh, now he's reading that email. THIS IS WHY THEY NEVER LET YOU HOST."

I dig it, though. I've heard people suggest a rotating host. I wouldn't mind some Drew up ins.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Seems that PlayStation Nation podcast accidentally leaked that Jason Oestreicher is going to be an new hire and it seems super likely that the earlier speculation about Ryckert was also correct.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I say this as someone who generally doesn't like Brad.

He should host more. It was a really solid podcast, and he did a fine job leading it.

Also, more Danny O'Dwyer please.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I say this as someone who generally doesn't like Brad.

He should host more. It was a really solid podcast, and he did a fine job leading it.

Also, more Danny O'Dwyer please.

Yeah, I'm not sure he's a better host than the alternatives but I think the podcast as a whole is improved because it get's him more involved than he otherwise might be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Spoilered for large image:
    Bqms6JRCAAAuC0B.jpg

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Jeff "El Jefe" Gertsmann

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Oh, man... I can't stop laughing at this UFC Quick Look because of that GameFace. Giant head, weird facial hair, and the darting eyes. So good.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    If only they could get the rest of the GB crew scanned in there.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The UFC version of Jeff's head worked out perfectly. It is a feature they really should have advertised a bunch. It is pretty typical how EA half-assed it. The company is too much of a machine.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Truly, we do live in a Post Small Business Man world.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Vinnie, where the hell was during E3? I thought he was coming out for E3, but he seemed to be pretty much not there at all during the podcasts.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The UFC version of Jeff's head worked out perfectly. It is a feature they really should have advertised a bunch. It is pretty typical how EA half-assed it. The company is too much of a machine.

Does the game feature AI vs AI matches? That would be interesting.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Speaking of Vinnie, where the hell was during E3? I thought he was coming out for E3, but he seemed to be pretty much not there at all during the podcasts.

Running the audio and video shit, I would imagine. That stuff probably needs a lot of babysitting in a setting like that.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Technically, the UFC is impressive. They just need to improve the execution. The fake encouragement videos do not help.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    As much as I think they're both good dudes, I am a tad disappointed that the new hires are two more white dudes. Giant Bomb is generally pretty fantastic, but I was hoping for a little diversity of viewpoints to be introduced.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    As much as I think they're both good dudes, I am a tad disappointed that the new hires are two more white dudes. Giant Bomb is generally pretty fantastic, but I was hoping for a little diversity of viewpoints to be introduced.

Sure there's diversity. Now you can have one white guy (Ryckert) arguing with another white guy (Klepeck) about problematic tropes in video games or shut the fuck up about that shit and just have fun.

(No really, I kind of hope that happens.)

• Options
    Yes, why discuss problems in this art form we claim to love and try to make it better, when we can just tell everyone to shut the fuck up and stop whining like bitches?

:neutral_face:

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    If the GB crew thought those two were the best possible fit for the site, I'm up for giving them a fair shake.

• Options
    I don't mean to be too hard on GB, because they really are well above average in their work on stuff like this, but yes, diverse viewpoints are important for critique in any medium. Patrick especially does a pretty great job of discussing some of these issues and has been really open about his own handling of them, and even his own screwups and missed opportunities. I'd just like to see some writing and commentary from some women, or people of color, or non-straight folks, even.

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    I don't mean to be too hard on GB, because they really are well above average in their work on stuff like this, but yes, diverse viewpoints are important for critique in any medium. Patrick especially does a pretty great job of discussing some of these issues and has been really open about his own handling of them, and even his own screwups and missed opportunities. I'd just like to see some writing and commentary from some women, or people of color, or non-straight folks, even.

And in the long run there is a pretty good chance you'll get that. But right here and now, that isn't what they were looking for. In a year, they have lost three incredibly significant members of their on screen/air talent with the death or Ryan, and Vinny/Patrick moving out of state. This straight up was getting people in the studio for in front of the camera gaming/quick looks, and just generally in studio/on podcast chemistry. Deep written commentary was not the purpose of this hire, and Jeff made it pretty clear that this isn't the end of their hiring. Let them rebuild their on camera/mic team now with people that fit into the mix since it's very desperately needed. They'll get to the rest soon I'm sure.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5DiKtHTWSU

This is pretty great.
    8.8 lol lol

Also podcast with new members is up now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    all white males share the exact same opinion on everything and come from the exact same background?
    huh, this is news to me but thanks for letting me know!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    See, even Geth knows how silly your post was.

No one is saying "all white dudes are the same". What they're saying is that most white dudes of a certain social status are afforded certain benefits from society that are not given to other people. That colors your perceptions throughout the years.

Also, now that I'm hearing people talk about how this was purely a triage hire, and that there might be new hires by the end of the year? That sounds exciting. I'm inclined to not believe it, cause CBS seems really stingy with their money, but I'd like to hope.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    So Chincy and SimBen and their argument about Mega Man X is a Bombcast topic of discussion this week.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So Chincy and SimBen and their argument about Mega Man X is a Bombcast topic of discussion this week.

it's so wonderful.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    about damn time PA got into some of that raw bombcast beef

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    all white males share the exact same opinion on everything and come from the exact same background?
    huh, this is news to me but thanks for letting me know!

Don't be an obtuse goose.

Edit: And again, I'm not saying this wasn't a good hire. I'm sure these two will be great. Dan is an awesome dude and will fit in well. But, at the same time. it's totally justifiable to point out a deficiency that wasn't yet addressed, while still being "on their side" as a great source of journalism and entertainment. I'm critical because I know they're one of the industry's higher watermarks.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Not going to jump in on anyone's "side," but the Bombcast and Quick Looks remain my favorite source of news/early warnings on new releases and obscure territorial beefs in predominately-Commonwealth countries. And I love me some Scoops & the Wolf. Keep 'em coming, GB.

Edit: Due to work and vacation schedule, I seem to miss every PA Prime, but I still hope to bump into the crew at a bar downtown while the show is in town, and buy a round.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    If I was worried about GB's diversity, I'd be more worried that these new guys come from a similar professional background, i.e. one of the larger game journalism gigs.

I think that would be more likely to influence their taste and point of view on games. For instance they would have had similar time pressure while trying to get game reviews done by the time embargo's lift, while a Youtube personality, say, might have had more time to spend on any one game. Also, they would be used to writing for a very similar demographic (i.e. young men what like to shoot dudes) which could also be an issue, perhaps a bigger one than their own background.

That said, the only judgement that I'm willing to make before seeing/hearing more from the new guys is that neither of them are Jeff Green, which sucks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jeff Green sold out in the best way, though. Can't fault him for not wanting to work there.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If you are interested in what is likely some of the thought and proves behind their choosing the new hires, I suggest watching the latest Jar Time if you're a subscriber.

Particularly the bit where he answers the question asked about getting into his line of work, whatever you want to call that these days.

He does not talk specifically about their hiring, buy it is easy to extrapolate circumstances based on the things he has to say about it.

Namely, there are more experienced and qualified people for those positions than there are positions, so unless you are already in the industry in an editorial position you will probably not get into the industry in an editorial position.

People talk about their ideal hires they would like to see, but they totally ignore the fact that many of those people have zero editorial experience. I like Zoe Quinn a lot, but she does not have the qualifications and experience they are looking for.

Chances are if GB is going to be involved in any capacity with giving new people a chance to break in, it won't be with a full time staff position, it will be with them eventually acquiring a freelance budget of some kind.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    I was really hoping for Zoe Quinn, she was great at e3 and on Bombing in the AM.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Oh please, I wasn't being obtuse and it's crazy that geth is 'investigating' my post. I'm not allowed to express my opinion that just because they are all white males they could come from completely different backgrounds and not have similarities? Ryan is completely different from Patrick, I'm not really too worried that they hired Dan to replace him since he's got a totally different personality than all of them and is going to bring something completely fresh to the table and I think it's crazy to say stuff like "eh it's ok but man i wish it was a woman!". I think the dudes at GB have shown for years now that they are pretty competent at what they are doing and Jeff is on record as saying they are going to be hiring more people.

edit:
    Maddoc wrote: »
    People talk about their ideal hires they would like to see, but they totally ignore the fact that many of those people have zero editorial experience. I like Zoe Quinn a lot, but she does not have the qualifications and experience they are looking for.

Chances are if GB is going to be involved in any capacity with giving new people a chance to break in, it won't be with a full time staff position, it will be with them eventually acquiring a freelance budget of some kind.
    didn't notice this before I posted but yet, exactly! It's not about white privilege, or maybe it was 20 years ago when all the people got jobs, it's right now about who can do a good job.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    People are acting like these new hires being two white males means that GB is going to stop fighting to equality and justice in the industry and that shit is ridiculous. Is it a little disappointing that the new hires are another two white men? Yeah a little, but get a grip.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    People are acting like these new hires being two white males means that GB is going to stop fighting to equality and justice in the industry and that shit is ridiculous. Is it a little disappointing that the new hires are another two white men? Yeah a little, but get a grip.

No. Literally no one here is acting like that.

This discussion has been closed.