Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Personally, if you're against this kind of shot continuing, and you're in a position of power or stature in a community, then yes, I agree that it is absolutely your moral obligation to speak out about it and lend support. I mentioned in another comment that groups like these gaters only need s little silence to assume complicity and that just empowers their assholery even more.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Personally, if you're against this kind of shot continuing, and you're in a position of power or stature in a community, then yes, I agree that it is absolutely your moral obligation to speak out about it and lend support. I mentioned in another comment that groups like these gaters only need s little silence to assume complicity and that just empowers their assholery even more.

I don't know if that's how the psychology works. It's a good debate for D&D: is it more effective to silence and marginalize or publicize and condemn? But the assumption that you can know and predict people whose actions and motives are so far removed from what we expect from normal human beings is faulty. Any of us that might have been experts on the subject have probably already been banned from this forum.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I saw a blog post earlier today about how GamerGate people are slowly losing their "heroes", i.e. people in the entertainment biz who have spoken out against harassment and stuff, and how maybe it's a bad sign when everyone you like is denouncing your "cause".

One of the things I saw that fucking blew my mind was that apparently some GG people actually thought that Jeff's silence meant he was pro-GG. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a weird game of Chinese Telephone, where since Jeff was fired due to what could be perceived as corruption, he must also hate corruption, then blah blah GAMERGATE

It's bonkers that Jeff had to come out and make any sort of statement about this when it's clear as shit what Jeff is into and not into. He is into wrestling. He is not into dickheads.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I saw a blog post earlier today about how GamerGate people are slowly losing their "heroes", i.e. people in the entertainment biz who have spoken out against harassment and stuff, and how maybe it's a bad sign when everyone you like is denouncing your "cause".

One of the things I saw that fucking blew my mind was that apparently some GG people actually thought that Jeff's silence meant he was pro-GG. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a weird game of Chinese Telephone, where since Jeff was fired due to what could be perceived as corruption, he must also hate corruption, then blah blah GAMERGATE

It's bonkers that Jeff had to come out and make any sort of statement about this when it's clear as shit what Jeff is into and not into. He is into wrestling. He is not into dickheads.

Because silence is complicity at best, approval at worst. If you don't like what is happening, you speak out. The status quo being what it is, staying silent is not a moral stand.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So I don't follow gamer gate much other than the whole "It's terrible and oh look another terrible story about how terrible they are".

But yeah, I will admit that in the specific situation where if GG was using Jeff as a hero of their cause then silence would equal complicity.

However, I still think referring to and treating GamerGate as "The status quo" is dumb.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo I just searched the first 3 pages of D&D and couldnt find it

Mind giving us a link?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    However, I still think referring to and treating GamerGate as "The status quo" is dumb.

Well, it kind of is

there's a not insignificant part of GG that was harassing the same women before this all went down, GG just gave them a megaphone and the pretense of legitimacy

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Khavall wrote: »

Well, it kind of is

there's a not insignificant part of GG that was harassing the same women before this all went down, GG just gave them a megaphone and the pretense of legitimacy

That there are terrible people who play video games is the status quo

That they are united behind a hashtag and pretending to be campaigning for ethics in journalism absolutely is.

And again, "Feminism should be a bigger issue in the potentially progressive by virtue of being the youngest art form of gaming" is a different thing than "People should be yelling at GamerGate more"

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    "Bobkins Flymo" I just searched the first 3 pages of D&D and couldnt find it

Mind giving us a link?

it doesn't exist because he thought you made one

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/193787/gamergate-hashtag-in-search-of-scandal go nuts guys

y'all better actually justify that thread's existence

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    1:30am eastern on a Friday night

well, good luck

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Paladin wrote: »
    1:30am eastern on a Friday night

well, good luck

Sorry, some of us live in AMERICA, so it's a reasonable time

Plus the Canucks just won, so clearly everyone's celebrating.

Khavall on
  • Options
    then it's a good thing i linked to the thread in the thread people were off-topically discussing gamergate, so that they could come to that thread over the next day, see that a thread had been created for the subject, and go visit that thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2014
    Dang it I thought a thread had been made already.

I cannot ensure that thread's survival, as an earlier one might have run its course already. Sorry, my bad!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

This is a storify (a collection of tweets and comments) from different people in twitter explaining some degree of anger at the "But being silent was fine" comment from Jeff. It's well worth giving it a read and consideration, especially because Alex jumps into the discussion as well and gives some thoughts.

I think it was utterly dreadful that Giantbomb, Polygon and many other sites have waited almost two months before doing anything significant to condemn it on their front pages. At the same time, this is a position I can have as a random guy on an internet forum who isn't at the head of a large gaming site and therefore under serious threat of harassment/attacks. Ben Kuchera on his twitter basically admitted that one of the reasons they held off so long (and in their editorial) was because they feared for their families and what effect it could have on them. I mention this because Patrick brought up a very similar point and how people have targeted his wife in the past when they disagreed.

I don't think that excuses silence, because many women involved in this never even got that option in the first place and always had to deal with it from the start, but it isn't solely a case of pure neglect, cowardice or being morally bankrupt to not immediately show support.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

This is a storify (a collection of tweets and comments) from different people in twitter explaining some degree of anger at the "But being silent was fine" comment from Jeff. It's well worth giving it a read and consideration, especially because Alex jumps into the discussion as well and gives some thoughts.

I think it was utterly dreadful that Giantbomb, Polygon and many other sites have waited almost two months before doing anything significant to condemn it on their front pages. At the same time, this is a position I can have as a random guy on an internet forum who isn't at the head of a large gaming site and therefore under serious threat of harassment/attacks. Ben Kuchera on his twitter basically admitted that one of the reasons they held off so long (and in their editorial) was because they feared for their families and what effect it could have on them. I mention this because Patrick brought up a very similar point and how people have targeted his wife in the past when they disagreed.

I don't think that excuses silence, because many women involved in this never even got that option in the first place and always had to deal with it from the start, but it isn't solely a case of pure neglect, cowardice or being morally bankrupt to not immediately show support.

Holy shit that 4chan screenshot.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    MrDapper wrote: »

Protip: Don't go to these places and read how they think about this.

They genuinely thought they were in Giantbombs good books for "Defending" them against the sinister SJWs (in reference to the drama that arose when they hired two new male staff members).

I'm serious.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Yeah, that 4/8/whateverChan screenshot is pretty stupid. I think Alex Lifschitz put it best, in terms GamerGaters could understand.

Jeff Gerstmann is #NotYourShield

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

Protip: Don't go to these places and read how they think about this.

They genuinely thought they were in Giantbombs good books for "Defending" them against the sinister SJWs (in reference to the drama that arose when they hired two new male staff members).

I'm serious.

And this is one reason why silence is complicity.

• Options
    But the thing is, Jeff wasn't silent. The last big letter he wrote was denouncing the very thing these asshats think he should love them for: people thinking they speak for GB and "defending" the site from unspeakable lady horrors.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    But the thing is, Jeff wasn't silent. The last big letter he wrote was denouncing the very thing these asshats think he should love them for: people thinking they speak for GB and "defending" the site from unspeakable lady horrors.

That was before Gamersgate and was specifically about a separate issue in a way that this one wasn't particularly specific enough.

• Options
    I know, but it was stated above that the reason these people think they had Jeff's support was because they "defended" GB when they hired Dan and Jaso and that Jeff was silent. What I'm saying is that Jeff was never silent about the bullshit re: the new hires, so these people are incredibly deluded and misguided.

I am not going to try and rationalize assholes like WhateverChan

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Last night's stream in one picture:

ud8c6x4igir3.png

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Last night's stream in one picture:

ud8c6x4igir3.png

I (unlike many) really like Marie but Jeff's confusion over her was great.

I would pay real-ass money beyond a sub for Jeff and Dan playing through P4G --- recollection trip for Jeff, wild bouts of trying new things for Dan. Persona 4 Goldan. I know it can't happen though because everyone's too busy. :(

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Hey, just a reminder that if you're using chrome and reading about shitty things this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sjw-to-skeleton/kckodmjikeoncekpplppkkcjolofmacc will change all instances of SJW to skeleton, it really helps

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Things are starting to get gross from both sides now. Sam Bidwell of Gawker apparently advocated that we should bring bullying back and that "nerds should get bopped". *sighs* Yes, great way to respond to the GG crowd, with neanderthal threats. Definitely the way to stop women being oppressed is to oppress another class of people. Very progressive.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Things are starting to get gross from both sides now. Sam Bidwell of Gawker apparently advocated that we should bring bullying back and that "nerds should get bopped". *sighs* Yes, great way to respond to the GG crowd, with neanderthal threats. Definitely the way to stop women being oppressed is to oppress another class of people. Very progressive.

This just in: there are lots of idiots on the internet. News at 11.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular

wrt Giantbomb
    ...and they chose to be silent about the harassment and threats for two months.
    Letting people go on thinking/believing/pretending for two months.
    As someone who listens to every episode of the podcast, but only occasionally reads articles on the site, or watch their videos ... I wasn't aware of the letter from the editor about the hiring.
    And I didn't really think I had too much reason to think that they were keeping quite for reasons other than ... they didn't think it was a big enough deal to warrant the time to talk about it. (Which I guess is partially true, but for (bad) reasons.)
    Sounds like part of they crew is coming around to thinking keeping silent wasn't the right approach.

So, I'm unable to log on to the site. Never really bothered, since I was unable to subscribe any way, but thought I might give it a go.
    Any tips for when the site says "Wrong password or username"?
    User name is you username, and not your mail address or favorite pet, right?
    How long do you usually have to wait after setting a new passwd (and being able to log on your mobile *sigh*)?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Hand waving Bidwell's comments away is not real great. We scream bloody murder when the GG crowd hand wave away death threats and personal attacks as "assholes on the internet", we can't then hand wave away the idiots on our side of the debate. Sam Bidwell deserves to be called out for saying something gross and abusing his platform to advocate a gross thing.

Attacking vitriol with vitriol cheapens what we're trying to accomplish, and only makes things worse. Sinking to their level and all that, rabble rabble.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Getting his name right would probably be a good start, because when I googled what you were talking about, it took me awhile.

• Options
    @Commodore75‌ Rorie is usually good at dealing with questions like that, if you PM him on GB or send him a tweet with info.

Also, I follow Sam Biddle on Twitter. He seems like a pretty big nerd to me. Would he bop himself?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    [edit] added spoiler tags, since ... you know, it doesn't belong here.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Hand waving Bidwell's comments away is not real great. We scream bloody murder when the GG crowd hand wave away death threats and personal attacks as "assholes on the internet", we can't then hand wave away the idiots on our side of the debate. Sam Bidwell deserves to be called out for saying something gross and abusing his platform to advocate a gross thing.

Attacking vitriol with vitriol cheapens what we're trying to accomplish, and only makes things worse. Sinking to their level and all that, rabble rabble.

So you think he's dumb for telling people to start bulling the bullies ... Yeah, that probably won't solve anything.
    Not necessarily giving people a taste of their own medicine is always the wrong answer, but that sociopaths and trolls probably don't care what you spend you time doing on different social media.
    Or are you surprised that he doesn't think nerds deserve special protection?
    Really not sure what your point is.

Part of the problem with addressing a bunch of leaderless trolls is that they can easily get you to spend more time defending what ever you believe in than they have to do coming up with new accusations of false flags, double standards, etc.
    But either way, you can prolly take it out of this thread.
    So how about them quick looks, eh

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    i mean nerds should get bopped though

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also yes, this whole thing with calling upon a dead man who can't answer back regarding anything is p gross. I've seen this sentiment thrown around a lot on....the internet; bullshit re: Ryan about Patrick's continued employment, the "tone" of the site, etc.

But the best thing is knowing that Ryan most certainly would not have been for GG. He would be blocking fools, and releasing gag t-shirts, and it'd be great. Giant Bomb probably would have said something sooner, but that's not for me to say.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    @Commodore75‌ Rorie is usually good at dealing with questions like that, if you PM him on GB or send him a tweet with info.

Dang! He's on vacation. I guess I'll try again in a couple of years. :)

• Options

Dang! He's on vacation. I guess I'll try again in a couple of years. :)

Nah, he just left that there since the last time he was on vacation. PM him. Or Twitter, is probably more immediate.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Man, what kind of unrepentant vile little shitbag drags a dude's dead friend into this with "_____ would be ashamed of you."

Fuck that guy.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Man, what kind of unrepentant vile little shitbag drags a dude's dead friend into this with "_____ would be ashamed of you."

Fuck that guy.

Yup. Really, Jeff and co had the best responses to that bullshit, which was basically "NAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

It reeks of desperation on GG's part, which is good.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.