Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I feel sorry for those people

But at least GB is healthily coping

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I find it really gross to try to claim you know how someone else currently thinks on an issue, when you are not that person.. worst cases in which that person hasn't even given any opinions on the matter. Ive been seeing a lot of "so and so would totally be our ally, they will stick it those sjws"
    "he probably hasn't come out in favor of us because hes scared and wants to keep his current social group"
    "hes just misinformed"
    "If he comes out against us we can probably win him to our side when we inform him"
    etc etc it goes on and on and on..

(I don't think I need to say its absolutely disgusting when that person has passed away, but for clarity)

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    These people don't want to let go of a world where they can use their nerddom to rationalize why women want nothing to do with them. It's like a warm blanket of excuses. "I'm a nerd, so women don't like me. I hate women."

Women like nerds just fine. They don't like reprehensible wastes of oxygen, turns out.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    seasleepy wrote: »

So, instead of continuously calling every person out all the time, does she offer solutions or just more wood for the fire?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Ceno wrote: »
    These people don't want to let go of a world where they can use their nerddom to rationalize why women want nothing to do with them. It's like a warm blanket of excuses. "I'm a nerd, so women don't like me. I hate women."

Women like nerds just fine. They don't like reprehensible wastes of oxygen, turns out.

I see a lot of guys go through dark times and equally dark thoughts. Some of them turn out all right. Presumably it's the same for women. I'd be interested in knowing how people came out, but nobody likes to talk about that except with people that won't instantly spurn them. I think that's why games draw those kinds of people. I play multiplayer games with the worst humanity has to offer, but they play a good medic so it's fine. Gotta get that boss loot after all.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Welcome to the digital future, console owners.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Caught up on some Giant Bomb Gaming Minutes this morning and, for the week Jeff was away, it was pretty hilarious to hear Dan's Normal Radio Dude voice.

Then I get on Twitter and see this:

Oh, Dan.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »

So, instead of continuously calling every person out all the time, does she offer solutions or just more wood for the fire?

Don't do that.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, even though I wholeheartedly agree with her general position here, demanding that people vocally be on one's side OR YOU'RE THE ENEMY has always been more than a little silly, whatever the issue. A video game site really doesn't have to post anything other than video game reviews and impressions if they don't want to.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The problem is that there isn't much functional difference between "We're not going to mention this stuff, as to not give any legitimacy to these people" and "We're going to look the other way, and not get involved in this debate." The intent is totally different yes, but in the end, it affects the discussion exactly the same.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Well, even though I wholeheartedly agree with her general position here, demanding that people vocally be on one's side OR YOU'RE THE ENEMY has always been more than a little silly, whatever the issue. A video game site really doesn't have to post anything other than video game reviews and impressions if they don't want to.

When one side is making death threats, doxing ppl so they can have their address associated with rape threats ... demanding that people speak out against that isn't so silly.
    But seriously, this no longer has anything to do with this thread, so take it elsewhere.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Just for the record, this is the last thread on the forum where GG stuff is allowed to be discussed.

• Options

When one side is making death threats, doxing ppl so they can have their address associated with rape threats ... demanding that people speak out against that isn't so silly.
    But seriously, this no longer has anything to do with this thread, so take it elsewhere.
    Responding to an argument, and then immediately demanding "take it elsewhere" is not exactly fair or consistent.

I'm not at all disagreeing that those are all terrible things that should be opposed in areas of discourse that cover social issues and crime, but we're talking about entertainment media sties. Should we also demand that they post articles up on Crimea and Israel/Palestine conflict?

Again, I can't stress enough how much I encourage people giving GG the middle finger, I'm just opposing the general silliness of DEMANDING that people speak up on entertainment sites "or you're the enemy."

• Options

Responding to an argument, and then immediately demanding "take it elsewhere" is not exactly fair or consistent.

When the mods have told us to take it elsewhere, bringing it back up here, doesn't seem "fair".
    So how about we stop with that, eh?

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Don't do that.

It's kind of hard to not do something I don't know I'm doing, unless "legitimate question" isn't somehow valid here.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Edit: Agreed, topic closed. Apologies from me as well.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Don't do that.

It's kind of hard to not do something I don't know I'm doing, unless "legitimate question" isn't somehow valid here.

Just in case this isn't an attempt at trolling:
    Go here instead.
    Or you know, read up on the topic if you actually care.
    never mind. topic closed. applogies.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Does it add in ODST? If not, no sale.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Nah, that'll be saved for "Halo: The Not-Master Chief Collection" which will have ODST, Reach, Wars and Spartan Ops.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Nah, that'll be saved for "Halo: The Not-Master Chief Collection" which will have ODST, Reach, Wars and Spartan Ops.

I want this to happen just for the name.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Don't do that.

her tweet is pretty self explanatory, which gave the impression that your complaint was made in bad faith. Assuming your comment was genuine, she's contesting Jeff's comment about silence not being complicity. It's a valid thing to disagree about and to criticize, and clearly her "solution" in this case would be to not be silent (just using the word solution to match your phrasing, its obviously not a single solution problem). It's good that Giantbomb has come out and made a comment, but people are allowed to be upset that it took as long as it did and to disagree with some of Jeff's comments, giantbomb will just have to take some lumps for it and hopefully take the criticisms to heart

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    That should have said Spartan Assault, not Ops. My bad :P

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

A) Sounded like a solution to me: speak out against people terrorizing other people.

And

B) It's really not your place to tell the victims of abuse to "offer a solution, don't just add to the fire." If you think it is, you are wrong.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They'll probably repackage the non Master Chief Halos as like, Halo: Legends or something.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think it is kind of ridiculous to pile on Giant Bomb because there is this expectation that they need to stop what they're doing to denounce shitheads whenever new shitheads do something shitty.

Maybe they should put a tracker about how they feel about harassment in real time at any given point on their front page so people can go and reassure themselves that GB is still anti-harassment.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Just so you guys know, that tweet taken out of context, for people who don't know who that person is or what they are tweeting about, it does seem sorta odd.
    I'd also venture to say that perhaps the people to ignore are the ones yelling about Ryan being disappointed. Because that just seems like deliberate trolling, not actual complaints.

But I haven't experienced any issues that made me question GiantBomb's credibility or anything. I also only really started watching right before Ryan passed, so a lot of the older stuff I am unaware of. The biggest drama for me coming out of GB is that I'm annoyed Vinny was replaced with Dan on the podcast because Dan is a crazy person and Vinny is awesome. Dan's actually still pretty awesome, but in very different mostly unsafe ways.

• Options
    I think Dan would be best friends with Cigs66 if they ever hung out. It's always funny when they do a thing on GB and Dan has no idea to what they are referring. Brodyquest, Persona 4, Barkerville, etc. Dan was so psyched about Wake Up Club.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    EDIT: Wrong thread.

Harassment is bad.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I think it is kind of ridiculous to pile on Giant Bomb because there is this expectation that they need to stop what they're doing to denounce shitheads whenever new shitheads do something shitty.

Maybe they should put a tracker about how they feel about harassment in real time at any given point on their front page so people can go and reassure themselves that GB is still anti-harassment.

Except GamerGate actually did the thing where they terrorized women in games out of their homes and out of the industry. It was very much beyond people being generally shitty on the internet, it actually affected the games industry and only after it made it onto mainstream media do you have these large games sites publishing articles openly condemning it.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    They'll probably repackage the non Master Chief Halos as like, Halo: Legends or something.

Or Halo: The Good Ones.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

They should call the whole thing Halo: Full Circle

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

Yes, the good ones. Like Spartan Assault. :P

Arteen on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    tumblr_n0zwroDYEO1qeuiqyo1_1280.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DragonHustleDragonHustle Registered User regular
  • Options
    "Cooking"

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I liked Dan scurring over to the mailbag area as soon as he saw pogs were involved.

• Options
    Dan seems to be posting old video tapes to Youtube. I just watched a few of them, including pranking his dad on April Fools Day, a friend doing the Milk Gallon challenge and failing, a guy doing a Mickeys 40 beer bong, and a guy chugging two bottles of wine.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    "You wanna put a shitload of cheese on anything you're makin'."

This is something I can get behind.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Goddammit, Dan is better at making omelets than me

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    "You wanna put a shitload of cheese on anything you're makin'."

This is something I can get behind.

I'm looking forward to Dan's cookbook, "A Shitload of Cheese".

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
This discussion has been closed.