As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fjord [Chat]

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    SO I had a major panic attack last night, and tried to get ahold of my friend. I looked at my call history today. I called her 23 times. What. The. Fuck.

She isn't so happy with me today. Oops.

Psych time? Yeah, ok, psych time... I am apparently certifiable.

EDIT: Well there is my TMI post of the night!

Neco on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Look at this hungry motherfucker.

Look at him.

Look at 'im gooooooooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeuwYvlBI0

Holy shit that thing what is it

South American prehensile porcupine.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Things in the news that made me annoyed: some woman who got educated in the early 90s have a piece here about how student bitch way too much about not having enough money these days, think of, say, the poor pensioners in a nursing home being served industrialized food and get some perspective you whiny children!

Hey lady

I see you're supposed to be an adjunct

somebody fucked up when they educated you

952426.jpg

here is a graph of how much monetary support students receive, compared to the public pension base rate, which is calculated each year to be worth the same based on price levels and cost of living.

so, hey, shut the fuck up. God, I'm sick of old people doing the "stop bitching we were poor students too". no you weren't!

also thing in the news that made me laugh and then go oh god I'm a terrible person:

"Woman run over by her own car, twice"

that's her own car as in her own driverless car, running her over, twice.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    If it makes you feel any better Neco apparently my friends have been having talks about how depressed I am. After a few new people described me as someone who seems "haunted" and wanted to know what was up.

Coincidentally I find that news to be very depressing. I thought I hid it better in person. Oh well. Now I know.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    If anything is bound to make me snap and go on a killing spree it's the education thread. Everything is horrible forever.

You should step out of it. Hedgie's, um, special spin on things plus jezebel links being taken at face value make for a bad thread if you don't turn your skepticism up to 11 and question everything.

• Options
    If it makes you feel any better Neco apparently my friends have been having talks about how depressed I am. After a few new people described me as someone who seems "haunted" and wanted to know what was up.

Coincidentally I find that news to be very depressing. I thought I hid it better in person. Oh well. Now I know.

Aww that sucks!

Yeah, I thought I hid my problems a bit better, myself. I can't argue with my phone history, though! Maybe living alone is worse for me than I realized...

• Options
    The car was parked and started rolling down, the woman tried to get in and stop it, failed to do so, got hit by the rear wheel

then, since apparently this was a half-pipe parking lot, the car came back, and ran over her again

hahahaha no okay okay that is awful I hope she's alri- hahahaha

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

Aww that sucks!

Yeah, I thought I hid my problems a bit better, myself. I can't argue with my phone history, though! Maybe living alone is worse for me than I realized...

That is why I make liberal use of the delete feature.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I used to LOVE reading the political threads here, but I really lost the energy for them. I just avoid most of them these days. Which sucks, as there is often good debates going on in there.

There is just also lots of not so good debate as well. But I just don't think i have the energy for politics anymore.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    The car was parked and started rolling down, the woman tried to get in and stop it, failed to do so, got hit by the rear wheel

then, since apparently this was a half-pipe parking lot, the car came back, and ran over her again

We give him a chat thread and he becomes a monster. Using people like so many hot wheels and action figures all for his entertainment.

I feel bad for her though. I dropped a couch I was moving on my toe today. Hurt like craaaazy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ahh, Facebook. That and Twitter seem to really get people into trouble!

I have almost deleted my FB account, but I decided to just ignore it instead.

• Options

We give him a chat thread and he becomes a monster. Using people like so many hot wheels and action figures all for his entertainment.

I feel bad for her though. I dropped a couch I was moving on my toe today. Hurt like craaaazy

I'm going to be honest, and say that if you said that you dropped a couch on your toe and then it rolled away and came back and rolled over your toe again, I would also laugh.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    That juror story is a bit worrying, but probably necessary.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don't want to move to England but I still want to be a 49 year old English guy. How do I pull this off?

• Options
    I don't like politicians.

I especially don't like how they think it's okay to just say straight up bullshit.

in the article with that graph, an SV politician said that they have been building new student apartments (that's apartments that the relevant student organization owns and runs and rents out for not all that much) which is "just as effective" as raising the student loan amount

and that the yearly adjustments of the student loan has followed the cost increase, which makes their purchasing power stay the same.

how can you just... what. No.

that is all the direct opposite of true! Are you just winging it, or what?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    What the god damn hell

That porcupine just challenged every thought I ever had about porcupines.

They're really just tiny people.

Tiny people who groan endearingly and lift buckets of nanas.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don't want to move to England but I still want to be a 49 year old English guy. How do I pull this off?

Just follow your dreams~

And work on your British accent. You'll get there someday!

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    This is exactly the kind of cliquish, terrible pop psychology that annoys me re: personality stuff

No wonder it's on HuffPo.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3569058

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Things in the news that made me annoyed: some woman who got educated in the early 90s have a piece here about how student bitch way too much about not having enough money these days, think of, say, the poor pensioners in a nursing home being served industrialized food and get some perspective you whiny children!

Hey lady

952426.jpg

here is a graph of how much monetary support students receive, compared to the public pension base rate, which is calculated each year to be worth the same based on price levels and cost of living.

so, hey, shut the fuck up. God, I'm sick of old people doing the "stop bitching we were poor students too". no you weren't!

also thing in the news that made me laugh and then go oh god I'm a terrible person:

here's a graph of student support as it relates to tuition cost in America over time
    $ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
    TIME

override367 on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    myeloproliferative

say that ten times fast

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote: »

worrying how?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Um. Did Gene Wilder just shoot a man with a spear gun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

worrying how?

Ordinary people going to jail always worries me. Especially where it can be (although not in this case it seems) be for what would normally be understandable, the desire to research before making a big decision; then the easiness of straying into contempt.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I hide my problems from all but a few friends. It helps having at least one or two that you can trust with stuff. Haven't seen them in a while though because I've been a hermit for a while. I should fix that.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

Hey lady

952426.jpg

here's a graph of student support as it relates to tuition cost in America over time
    $ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
    TIME

uh, actually, no, they've both gone up by quite a bit and mostly following each other?

as far as COI goes then I dunno data is less handily availible for you.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Weird ironies keep popping up in my life

either I'm starting to become paranoid, or I've reached the age where there are fewer new things and more repeated things

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

worrying how?

Ordinary people going to jail always worries me. Especially where it can be (although not in this case it seems) be for what would normally be understandable, the desire to research before making a big decision; then the easiness of straying into contempt.

it's not like they haven't been told what to do and what not to do on pain of jailing, so they had to be real dipshits to still do so.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    I hide my problems from all but a few friends. It helps having at least one or two that you can trust with stuff. Haven't seen them in a while though because I've been a hermit for a while. I should fix that.

I have been doing the hermit thing for about three years now. Trying to pull myself out of it. Mostly going well...but then I go and do something dumb that makes me want to hide from everyone. Still, though... progress! Just...really slow progress at times...

• Options

worrying how?

it's not like they haven't been told what to do and what not to do on pain of jailing, so they had to be real dipshits to still do so.

Oh sure, but the point is it an incident where people can quickly and easily stray.

While researching a line on enquiry still requires a determined effort, making a flip comment on Facebook is very easy.

• Options
    It sounds like they definitely got arrested for their own mistakes, but with how harsh prosecution can get, if you get bad luck with a judge, or a not-so-good defense attorney, I definitely get nervous over that kind of thing. It seems that the sentences can often go WAY overboard for the crime...

• Options
    Only 41% of a the average norwegian full time student's budget, according to this, comes from student loan and support.

It is kind of supposed to be 100%. (Also: we have no tuition fees. Apart from books and a symbolic sum to the student organisation, this is all money to keep us clothed, housed and fed.)

And well, I'm not personally complaining, since as a spoiled oil brat I pay a lot less for my housing than many of my peers

but the point is everyone should be fine. Also, that I'm so godamned annoyed at old people, by which I mean everyone who graduated before I dunno, 2005, who spout bullshit like "you're just being whiny bitches" and "just spend less"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

worrying how?

Oh sure, but the point is it an incident where people can quickly and easily stray.

While researching a line on enquiry still requires a determined effort, making a flip comment on Facebook is very easy.

It's also very easy not to comment on facebook since you remember "Oh! That's right! I was told I couldn't do this!"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

worrying how?

It's also very easy not to comment on facebook since you remember "Oh! That's right! I was told I couldn't do this!"

I don't agree. People have these phones, they often do things without thinking. They also incapacitate themselves. They get drunk.

I see this most days at work in fact, where we deal with Facebook/social networking cases. Hell, even our staff sometimes make incredibly foolish comments on these sites and they certainly have less excuse

• Options

worrying how?

I don't agree. People have these phones, they often do things without thinking. They also incapacitate themselves. They get drunk.

I see this most days at work in fact, where we deal with Facebook/social networking cases. Hell, even our staff sometimes make incredibly foolish comments on these sites and they certainly have less excuse

Incapacitating yourself doesn't give you any leniency in the eyes of the law, mainly because you're incapacitating yourself.

There's no excuse for just casually posting shit you're not supposed to - and have been told not to - on facebook when you're a juror

don't do illegal things without thinking

it's not very much to ask of an adult

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

worrying how?

Incapacitating yourself doesn't give you any leniency in the eyes of the law, mainly because you're incapacitating yourself.

There's no excuse for just casually posting shit you're not supposed to - and have been told not to - on facebook when you're a juror

I am quite aware of what the law may say and that isn't really a concern; it is the likelihood of someone transgressing that I am concerned about. For the record I don't really use social networks and am pretty happy that I'm not going to be captured by this kind of behaviour. I'm thinking about the behaviour I see on a daily basis and applying that to the concerns of the Ministry of Justice in prosecuting jurors

• Options
    Good thing I don't have disposable income. If I was only slightly inebriated with a surplus of dollars I'd donate to so much shit. Only 92 cents a day to not feel terrible from your commercial child fund? Done.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not only does this movie have Gene Wilder shooting a man with a harpoon gun but he also dresses in black face. This world so full of surprises.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

worrying how?

I am quite aware of what the law may say and that isn't really a concern; it is the likelihood of someone transgressing that I am concerned about. For the record I don't really use social networks and am pretty happy that I'm not going to be captured by this kind of behaviour. I'm thinking about the behaviour I see on a daily basis and applying that to the concerns of the Ministry of Justice in prosecuting jurors

the behaviour you see on a daily basis, is that done by jurors? Or doctors? Or other people told by the law not to divulge certain things?

Because that changes the case somewhat.

also as an aside, "[...] not going to be captured by this kind of behaviour." struck me as an odd phrasing. It's a willfull act.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

The young guy who went on Facespace to go wooooo gonna jail me an Uncle Fester wooooo needs to be hit with a truck hard and often. The other guy seems to have had some extentuating circumstances (lengthy trial delays preventing him from going back to work, which he needed to do to pay off debts), and possibly didn't receive clear instructions from the judge about what was and wasn't acceptable. Dunno if that should mean no jail time for the second guy, but it should be motivation for the courts to make damn sure everyone on a jury understands what they can be locked up for.

First guy is a moron, though.

This discussion has been closed.