As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fjord [Chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Good thing I don't have disposable income. If I was only slightly inebriated with a surplus of dollars I'd donate to so much shit. Only 92 cents a day to not feel terrible from your commercial child fund? Done.

I have the perfect balance

I've signed up for giving to doctors without borders and unicef and the red cross, because I got ambushed by them

but I've frozen the payments, since I don't really have all that much money to give away willy-nilly

but when they ambush me now I can go oh I already give, without feeling like so much of a liar that I blow the story.

(and three is enough. And if you're not one of the big organizations you can fuck right off you charity-wasting turd.)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I hide my problems from all but a few friends. It helps having at least one or two that you can trust with stuff. Haven't seen them in a while though because I've been a hermit for a while. I should fix that.

@evilbob

I confided in a couple of friends about my health shit a few days ago and I feel a lot better for it. They're good people. One of em already saw the side effects of the treatment a couple months back when I was at work and had to go home two hours into my shift because it hurt to breathe or stand or do anything, which I explained away as a hangover. When I told him the truth these months later he put things together and understood. The other friend, she was sort of loaded on myriad mind-altering substances, but her support was no less genuine.

It was refreshing in a way. I've hidden what I'm going through because back when I did reveal it, I grew so sick of the pity and the judgment that I eventually severed ties with all but one of those people. I forgot that one other guy I was friends with at the time never knew about it, but lumped him into "those who just didn't fucking get it and screw them" and recently said "so yeah remember when I was in chemo?" and he sort of blinked at me and said "wut" and I understood then that I was the asshole, because all of those people I had written off as being nothing more than pitying sycophants were really just people trying to cope with this weird disease that might some day cause, but wasn't currently causing, great distress and threat to my health.

I regretted that for a long time. How would I deal with one of my close friends telling me that he was, in the long run, on his way out? Better than them, I fervently hope. Probably not nearly as well as them, I suspect. This guy didn't know, and I just blithely assumed, and his support since then has been (in his own laconic way) very reassuring.

Telling these recent two about this latest battle against my own body (which seems ruthlessly determined to make my tenancy of it miserable) is the start of seeking forgiveness. I cope with this shit because, well, do you really have to ask? Do you think I have any say in the matter? Five years into it, I can't waste the energy on being dramatic or pissed off or sad or anything. I just want a normal fucking life. I want to not have constant headaches from the lumps in my skull. i want to not have agonizing hip pains like I was ninety years old, from the two golf ball sized lesions in my pelvis. I want to not live in terror that my spleen or my bone marrow or my brain suddenly stops doing its job because this disease jumps systems and I discover, far too late to do anything about it, that I'm a walking corpse.

Oh and I have to pee every thirty fucking minutes, and I'm thirsty every waking moment of the day. Yeah, that doesn't put constraints on what you can do at all.

From necessity I've accepted the fate I've been given. Other people have a hard as fuck time wrapping their heads around it, but when I do let them know what I'm going through everyone I've known has been absolutely excellent about it. What made them back away, what made them run out of things to say, was when I had bragged about my highly successful treatment only to have a relapse six months later, and when that one got fought off then the second relapse... let's just say that at some point you have to assume it's never going to get better. I was in that headspace, as were the people around me. They thought I was a dead man walking. So did I, and I hated them for agreeing with me. Up until the point at which I had slumped my shoulders in resignation of a futile third round of chemo, up until then they were all excellent to me. Their despair was a reflection of mine own.

The funny thing is, if I look at my family, with whom I've been brutally honest every step of the way, they watched me through these tribulations but they've all bounced back immediately and tried to go out of their way to help. Contacting research doctors at Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic. Getting my oncologist in touch with an expert in Houston. You expect that kind of effort from family. I didn't expect anything close to that from everyone else, and I never gave them the chance, and the gulf that created between us is not one I am sure I can repair with all of them. I've been attempting to patch things up with two of them and it may be working, I think in time I can ask for forgiveness for being a distant asshole who assumed that nobody want anything to do with me.

The lesson here is never think that you have to shut anybody out. No, not everyone is going to be emotionally equipped to help you or even accept you with all of your shit, but you won't know until you try. People have an immense capacity for empathy that they rarely get to expend on those outside their immediate family, and sometimes not even in that case. They're waiting, though, for someone to whom they can lend a hand. Some things have a stigma attached to them but you can overcome that by proving that you are the exception and not the rule. If they know you well, and like you, they'll continue to like you and go out of their way to help you.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    That makes sense.

The want to give to charity is a weird want to have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not only does this movie have Gene Wilder shooting a man with a harpoon gun but he also dresses in black face. This world so full of surprises.

Silver Streak? That scene in the toilets with Richard Pryor is amazing.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    "I begin tucking him into bed and he tells me, “Daddy check for monsters under my bed.” I look underneath for his amusement and see him, another him, under the bed, staring back at me quivering and whispering, “Daddy there’s somebody on my bed. "

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    8:46 and I've already completed an important project. Too early for this stuff.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    That juror story is a bit worrying, but probably necessary.

worrying how?

Ordinary people going to jail always worries me. Especially where it can be (although not in this case it seems) be for what would normally be understandable, the desire to research before making a big decision; then the easiness of straying into contempt.

it's not like they haven't been told what to do and what not to do on pain of jailing, so they had to be real dipshits to still do so.

Oh sure, but the point is it an incident where people can quickly and easily stray.

While researching a line on enquiry still requires a determined effort, making a flip comment on Facebook is very easy.

It's also very easy not to comment on facebook since you remember "Oh! That's right! I was told I couldn't do this!"

I don't agree. People have these phones, they often do things without thinking. They also incapacitate themselves. They get drunk.

I see this most days at work in fact, where we deal with Facebook/social networking cases. Hell, even our staff sometimes make incredibly foolish comments on these sites and they certainly have less excuse

Incapacitating yourself doesn't give you any leniency in the eyes of the law, mainly because you're incapacitating yourself.

There's no excuse for just casually posting shit you're not supposed to - and have been told not to - on facebook when you're a juror

don't do illegal things without thinking

it's not very much to ask of an adult

I am quite aware of what the law may say and that isn't really a concern; it is the likelihood of someone transgressing that I am concerned about. For the record I don't really use social networks and am pretty happy that I'm not going to be captured by this kind of behaviour. I'm thinking about the behaviour I see on a daily basis and applying that to the concerns of the Ministry of Justice in prosecuting jurors

the behaviour you see on a daily basis, is that done by jurors? Or doctors? Or other people told by the law not to divulge certain things?

Because that changes the case somewhat.

also as an aside, "[...] not going to be captured by this kind of behaviour." struck me as an odd phrasing. It's a willfull act.

I am referring to making ill-thought out actions on social networks, for whatever reasons. I see it at work because my company and I help discipline or dismiss people who do this from their employment.

I understand that there is some aspect of choice here, I just don't think that it is usually thought out and due to the ease of access to such devices or services, the transgressing act can happy very quickly. I can quite understand that a regular person absolutely may not have meant anything by their comment and in a previous era, this would have been bluster to their friends or family which remained unseen by the world. Now it often isn't and that is what concerns me. Not so much prosecution due to contempt of judicial proceedings (which as I indicated at the start, I am supportive of prosecutions).

I could absolutely see anyone of you or I make a silly comment generally we regret and that it be too late for us to retract. I would also expect people on your friendship lists to contact your family employer, the police or the courts to inform them of such.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Not only does this movie have Gene Wilder shooting a man with a harpoon gun but he also dresses in black face. This world so full of surprises.

Silver Streak? That scene in the toilets with Richard Pryor is amazing.

Haha yes. I figured out what it was a bit ago. Gene Wilder has starred in some gems.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That makes sense.

The want to give to charity is a weird want to have.

Not really. People aren't actually sociopaths. Except for the sociopaths.

What I would like them to stop doing is fill up my mailbox with letters and updates and call me to let me know how they're doing and all the woooonderful things they're doing for the poor children with my money and shut up I don't care!

I gave* you the money because I trust you to do good shit with it! This is like reverse micromanaging.

*well, mostly not give, but you get the point

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    scream

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    night [chat]

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    That juror story is a bit worrying, but probably necessary.

worrying how?

Ordinary people going to jail always worries me. Especially where it can be (although not in this case it seems) be for what would normally be understandable, the desire to research before making a big decision; then the easiness of straying into contempt.

it's not like they haven't been told what to do and what not to do on pain of jailing, so they had to be real dipshits to still do so.

Oh sure, but the point is it an incident where people can quickly and easily stray.

While researching a line on enquiry still requires a determined effort, making a flip comment on Facebook is very easy.

It's also very easy not to comment on facebook since you remember "Oh! That's right! I was told I couldn't do this!"

I don't agree. People have these phones, they often do things without thinking. They also incapacitate themselves. They get drunk.

I see this most days at work in fact, where we deal with Facebook/social networking cases. Hell, even our staff sometimes make incredibly foolish comments on these sites and they certainly have less excuse

Incapacitating yourself doesn't give you any leniency in the eyes of the law, mainly because you're incapacitating yourself.

There's no excuse for just casually posting shit you're not supposed to - and have been told not to - on facebook when you're a juror

don't do illegal things without thinking

it's not very much to ask of an adult

I am quite aware of what the law may say and that isn't really a concern; it is the likelihood of someone transgressing that I am concerned about. For the record I don't really use social networks and am pretty happy that I'm not going to be captured by this kind of behaviour. I'm thinking about the behaviour I see on a daily basis and applying that to the concerns of the Ministry of Justice in prosecuting jurors

the behaviour you see on a daily basis, is that done by jurors? Or doctors? Or other people told by the law not to divulge certain things?

Because that changes the case somewhat.

also as an aside, "[...] not going to be captured by this kind of behaviour." struck me as an odd phrasing. It's a willfull act.

I am referring to making ill-thought out actions on social networks, for whatever reasons. I see it at work because my company and I help discipline or dismiss people who do this from their employment.

I understand that there is some aspect of choice here, I just don't think that it is usually thought out and due to the ease of access to such devices or services, the transgressing act can happy very quickly. I can quite understand that a regular person absolutely may not have meant anything by their comment and in a previous era, this would have been bluster to their friends or family which remained unseen by the world. Now it often isn't and that is what concerns me. Not so much prosecution due to contempt of judicial proceedings (which as I indicated at the start, I am supportive of prosecutions).

I could absolutely see anyone of you or I make a silly comment generally we regret and that it be too late for us to retract. I would also expect people on your friendship lists to contact your family employer, the police or the courts to inform them of such.

This is a good thing.

Because that dipshit who wanted to "fuck up a pedophile" could have gone unnoticed in previous times

and he absolutely should not be allowed to be a juror

I make silly comments I regret all the time. Never something that I regret profoundly, because I shut up about the things I should shut up about.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    My discomfort is that a person can ruin their lives so quickly, so easily, without thought in a way that would have been impossible only a couple of years ago; regardless of whether this is a deserved prosecution in a contempt case.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I used to LOVE reading the political threads here, but I really lost the energy for them.

I'm admittedly one of those bad people who only gets into politics when an election cycle is upon us.

• Options
    My discomfort is that a person can ruin their lives so quickly, so easily, without thought in a way that would have been impossible only a couple of years ago; regardless of whether this is a deserved prosecution in a contempt case.

It's not like there haven't always been a myriad of ways to do so.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I used to LOVE reading the political threads here, but I really lost the energy for them.

I'm admittedly one of those bad people who only gets into politics when an election cycle is upon us.

Me too.

And I don't care. When I watch videos like the Fox News interview from earlier i feel okay about that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Oh Pony is doing a CYOA thingy. Interesting.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    To be clear, I dunno if jailtime was deserved in either of those cases, but the first guy needed something, probably a good, hearty slap around the chops, to gently inform him of his lack of judgement. It seemed like one of those cases where the guy is just too stupid to obey the law.

• Options

Yeah, this is worrying.

• Options
    edited July 2013

It's not like there haven't always been a myriad of ways to do so.

Sure. But it hasn't been this easy. Yes, I could go stab you on the street. Yes, I could smash your windows in. But would I go and print a bill of libel, then hand deliver to all of my friends, family and select work friends for their permanent collection of my witticisms? That is what is now easy.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh man.

SonicLiveCover.jpg

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I agree with that guy being found in contempt because of posting anything about the trial on FBZ, but I'm not convinced him being an idiot should preclude him from jury service. I believe in trial by your peers, not just the best and brightest of society.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh man.

SonicLiveCover.jpg

I think I have that some where still

I know I have issues 1-30-something of the Comic plus all the special issues at my dads all bagged up still

• Options
    Trial by peers still requires that they be intelligent enough to understand what their role in the trial actually is. They don't have to be the best and the brightest, but someone who leaves jury selection jumping for joy and clicking his heels because finally he has the chance to NAIL A NONCE should be exempt.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh man.

SonicLiveCover.jpg

Sonic has a case of the derps.

• Options
    Oh man.

*snip*

I know I have issues 1-30-something of the Comic plus all the special issues at my dads all bagged up still

My friend is streaming some Sonic right now and the comics came up in discussion. I knew there were comics, but I didn't know they existed as like... COMIC comics. We had this single-issue, super-brief thing Sega put out that was a sort of origin of Sonic. I thought they were all like that.

It wasn't until I had internet access that I learned Sonic was more than video games and a couple cartoon shows.

• Options
    A problem is that some legal concepts are hard to get one's head around - a simple line that would seem to say something may often actually require many paragraphs over hundreds of years to nail down certainty of meaing, or applicability. That kind of thing becomes apparent as soon as one put's one mind to these principles. So the temptation to look further must be strong

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh man.

*snip*

My friend is streaming some Sonic right now and the comics came up in discussion. I knew there were comics, but I didn't know they existed as like... COMIC comics. We had this single-issue, super-brief thing Sega put out that was a sort of origin of Sonic. I thought they were all like that.

It wasn't until I had internet access that I learned Sonic was more than video games and a couple cartoon shows.

Oh man Sonic Comics were my JAM when I was a kid
    1627-123567-SonicIssue1jpg-468x.jpg

sonic-the-hedgehog-comics.jpg

sonic-comics-cover-art.jpg

sonic-comics-cover-art2.jpg

I had all those issues so I maybe had into the 40's I know i was missing some before #50 but I have #50

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Shadowrun Returns is terrific so far.

• Options
    Also this Issue was the best

sonic25.jpg

• Options
    I guess this is a Sonic comic spoiler, but I guess
    Robotnik dies?
    I should find those damn things and read them.

• Options
    I guess this is a Sonic comic spoiler, but I guess
    Robotnik dies?
    I should find those damn things and read them.

Yea that was Issue 50, he comes back I think.

and no you shouldnt, they arent cannon

• Options
    Oh man speaking of Sonic CD, my ex got it for me the other day on Steam. That race against Metal Sonic was WAY different than what you usually did in Sonic games at the time. I'm glad I can play the game finally, it's the last of the Genesis era games that I haven't played.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I love the idea of canonicity in something like Sonic. Which has no story beyond "blue hedgehog hates robots and runs fast"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I love the idea of canonicity in something like Sonic. Which has no story beyond "blue hedgehog hates robots and runs fast"

Actually it's Robotnik that hates that hedgehoooooooooooooooooooooog!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    morning all

Casual on
  • Options
    Trial by peers still requires that they be intelligent enough to understand what their role in the trial actually is. They don't have to be the best and the brightest, but someone who leaves jury selection jumping for joy and clicking his heels because finally he has the chance to NAIL A NONCE should be exempt.

Yeah I completely understand that it's disconcerting you can get nailed for a fuck up so easy to make, but on the other hand how hard is it to obey the law in this case? The judge makes it pretty clear you're not supposed to talk about the case outside the court, and anyone with an ounce of awareness knows the reason for that, it's not like it's an obscure law there to trip people up.

When a judge tells you in no uncertain terms not to post details about the case on facebook, you do not fucking post about the case on facebook. It's not rocket science or a high bar to meet, and if you're not intelligent or mature enough to take that on board then no, you have no business being on a jury.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2013
    ...UNLESS YOU GOT POWAH: Agency and Ethics in the Back to the Future Trilogy

remind me to write that someday

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Did the judge actually say he shouldn't post on Facebook? They get warned, I believe, not to discuss the case outside the court, but I can see an idiot thinking hey a Facebook update doesn't count, right?

I can see the courts being slow to realise this is something they need to point out, and being slow to implement any change (as Kalkino says, it might take a fair bit of spiel to say something you'd expect to be simple).

• Options
    Did the judge actually say he shouldn't post on Facebook? They get warned, I believe, not to discuss the case outside the court, but I can see an idiot thinking hey a Facebook update doesn't count, right?

I can see the courts being slow to realise this is something they need to point out, and being slow to implement any change (as Kalkino says, it might take a fair bit of spiel to say something you'd expect to be simple).

I don't know about this specific case but I know people who have done jury service and have said that the judge specifically mentioned social network sites as a no no.

Don't some courts even ask jurors to turn over their phones now to stop them blurting out shit on twitter?

This discussion has been closed.