As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2013:...and to all a good night.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Elin wrote: »
    I have started a pot of apple butter. This is pretty much a tradition in my house, as soon as apples fall under $1 a pound I peel and core 8lbs of 'em and make my years supply. In the morning my house will smell like holidays.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does one use apple butter for/on? I'm totally unfamiliar with it but it sounds delicious and intriguing.

It's, uh, kind of like jam? You basically cook apples and sugar and spices down until they turn deep brown. It's smooth and delicious. Put it on toast/english muffins/biscuits/whatever. I use apple butter in thumbprint cookies, and on pork loin, and a bunch of other stuff. Best breakfast is a slice of toast topped with apple butter, cheddar, and bacon.

One of these years I'll be able to actually can (no space) instead of just freezer canning and I'll send apple butter to every santee I get. It will be glorious.

Yeah - apple butter is basically a very smooth, very spiced jam. It's also really fantastic on pancakes (and johnnycakes, but no one knows what those are). Ooh - or stirred into oatmeal or grits.

It's kind of a country Americana thing, I guess.

Ok, this sounds awesome. I'm sad I've never had it before, thanks for filling me in guys. I think I'm gonna try it and maybe it'll be an addition to the "Must Have for Christmas" list.

I'm curious... What do you guys (by this I mean anyone) consider your, say, top 3 things that really make it Christmas/Holidays for you? Top 3 "must haves", besides the obvious; trees, family, etc.

I don't really have any big things for the holidays. My husband and I are fairly antisocial and so is his mom. His dad is all "Ohana means family" but he moved out of state so I don't have to deal with all that togetherness. My family, well, there's a reason I moved halfway across the country without telling anyone I was doing so until I was in the airport terminal waiting to board my flight. I usually cook something special for the two of us and we make cookies for his office sugar exchange but yeah, the only things I do every year is make apple butter and sign up for Secret Santa.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We don't have major things for Christmas. I guess the biggies for us would be just Christmas Eve in general - we give the kid a gift and some new pajamas and then after he goes to bed we drink rum, watch Christmas movies and wrap the last of the gifts. There's something about the wrapping of gifts while drinking and watching A Christmas Story for the 3rd time in a row that for some reason makes me feel like a real grownup (once a year it's bound to happen I suppose).

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    As a kid Christmas Eve was a HUGE deal. The family and extended family would get together, wait until midnight and open presents, with one person distributing them and letting everyone open the gift one at a time. Its great memories.

Now Christmas and Christmas Eve isn't a big deal. I usually get together with friends on Christmas for some delicious Chinese food.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    For me, the biggest and best tradition is one my mom loved and cherished the most: Christmas Eve Eve. The day before Christmas eve was a special time in the mopper household. It also was one of our dogs birthdays! We had to put him down December 26th a few years ago though :(. Not a good birthday or Christmas for him.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    GiftGet4b_zpsb34314b9.gif
    ARCSYN: Your Santa bids you to click the following URL and enter your proper information, as punishment for maintaining a Steam wishlist. MORE PUNISHMENTS WILL FOLLOW.

Christmas punishment? Wait a sec, I've heard of this santa before... This can't be good.
    237f77d2bbe00f133c678afd19bbc087c7b8713b.png

Or maybe it could be good! I can take this type of punishment! I guess having both Arkham City and War in the North in my wishlist was too great of a crime to ignore. It's awesome because I had actually just decided yesterday not to buy this bundle because I have Christmas coming and I need to save money for buying gifts for others. Thanks @Santa!

edit: I already own a copy of Arkham Asylum. If someone would like it, send me a PM!
    header.jpg?t=1382035811

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I have started a pot of apple butter. This is pretty much a tradition in my house, as soon as apples fall under $1 a pound I peel and core 8lbs of 'em and make my years supply. In the morning my house will smell like holidays.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does one use apple butter for/on? I'm totally unfamiliar with it but it sounds delicious and intriguing.

It's, uh, kind of like jam? You basically cook apples and sugar and spices down until they turn deep brown. It's smooth and delicious. Put it on toast/english muffins/biscuits/whatever. I use apple butter in thumbprint cookies, and on pork loin, and a bunch of other stuff. Best breakfast is a slice of toast topped with apple butter, cheddar, and bacon.

One of these years I'll be able to actually can (no space) instead of just freezer canning and I'll send apple butter to every santee I get. It will be glorious.

Yeah - apple butter is basically a very smooth, very spiced jam. It's also really fantastic on pancakes (and johnnycakes, but no one knows what those are). Ooh - or stirred into oatmeal or grits.

Ok, this sounds awesome. I'm sad I've never had it before, thanks for filling me in guys. I think I'm gonna try it and maybe it'll be an addition to the "Must Have for Christmas" list.

I'm curious... What do you guys (by this I mean anyone) consider your, say, top 3 things that really make it Christmas/Holidays for you? Top 3 "must haves", besides the obvious; trees, family, etc.

1. Snow
    2. Festive shit. Decorated tree, lights everywhere, red and green stuff
    3. Snow

Which is a shame because NYC gets like 2 snowfalls a year and it turn into brown mush in a matter of hours.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Seeing Gift Get Gifs is so nice to see.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

1.) Cinnamon rolls or pecan rolls baking on Christmas morning.
    2.) My wife and I not constantly changing the radio station in the car because we're both finally on Christmas music.
    3.) Watching both Muppet Christmas Carol and the version USA (I think) made with Patrick Stewart as they are both great.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

I've put a link to the post I posted the Gift Get gifs in for people to use. It's also on page 21 unless they can get added to the OP.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

I've put a link to the post I posted the Gift Get gifs in for people to use. It's also on page 21 unless they can get added to the OP.

I bookmarked them. You can never be too festive!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Alright santa, here's a hint post. Only read if you want to, but there's some useful info for someone who doesn't have a lot of stalking time or wants to know my T-shirt size.
    I own every console but a 3ds. Plan on getting a ps4 and xbone but not at launch. probably early next year. I pretty much buy every game I want, but always looking for gems. I do have a big collection so if you need to know what I have, hit me up. What I really love is merchandise from games. Artbooks, figures, anything unique and cool. My favorites series: Final Fantasy (VII, IX, X, XII), Street Fighter (Vega/claw), Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid, Mega Man 2, and Breath of Fire 4.

I travel a lot for work internationally, so board games probably aren't the best. While I love puzzle strike, I only get to play it maybe once a year. I was gone for almost 7 months straight this year in London and South Africa...so yeah.

My tshirt size is L and I love most things from Threadless. I enjoy bourbon and craft beers, candy but not dark chocolate.

If you google my real name, I'm the guy on IMDB that works in the film industry. But honestly I'm happy with most things so hope you have fun and thanks ahead of time!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Who's the guy with the amazingly Holidayified avatar?

Shut yo' mouth.

I'm just talkin' 'bout Elvenshae.

We can dig it.

@Rorus Raz is a treasure. Thank you.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Wow, already gift gets? This thread gives me more warm fuzzies than a bucket full o' kittens.

Santa hints, should you need them (O Great and Powerful Santa!):
    You have my various wishlists but shouldn't feel obligated to use them - they're only intended as helpful directional information. Feel free to ignore them entirely.
    I like beer (especially craft beers) and other booze, shortbread cookies (the most perfectest of cookies), fruitcake, roasted nuts, and other consumables.
    I am also pleased by crafts or handmade stuff, so don't feel like you need to spend many dollars on me.
    I'm always willing to try new things, too, so if there're things out there that you're into and want to spread around, try me!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular

And then his duck heart grew three sizes that day...

These are like the special ornaments families hang on a Christmas trees!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Bear is Sneaking Into Secret Santa. Bwahaha.

I'm going to have to find out where I kept my Christmas avatar and get to stalking.

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's not stalking unless you have placed some finely ground up hair into thier meals...

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Oh I totally keep all the clippings from shaving my head from the year previous just for that purpose.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Wow, this is some kind of record for me...

GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

UgSmwZE.jpg

PC backlog gets deeper still! Thanks, santa! (And nice try on the word-fu.)

Have a cookie.

bcE70nO.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Can I give away a steam code from this bundle? I already own Arkham Asylum. If so, I'll give it to whoever wants it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Can I give away a steam code from this bundle? I already own Arkham Asylum. If so, I'll give it to whoever wants it.

Most humble bundles are individual keys I think?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @cj iwakura
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Most humble bundles are individual keys I think?

Not this one - they changed it up a little. Now, you need to go to the page with the keys, and click on the little present icon next to the game you want to give away; that'll let you give away just a single key. Bonus: you get to see which Steam ID actually ends up with the key!

• Options
    Yep, confirmed. So yeah, free to good home, whoever posts or PMs wanting it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Why is it just now that I realize your name is taken from LAIN and that's your avatar (was it always? seems new). That anime was such a head trip for myself and my friend when we stumbled on a complete series set when we were in college. (or was it high school? can't remember.)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The avatar changes regularly, it's her now since the director of the series passed away last year.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    Santee.

Santee...
    Santeeeeeeeeeeeee

Do you feel that? That's me. Oh so delicately preparing your holiday joy. My pants tighten with anticipation!

JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    Santee.

Santee...
    Santeeeeeeeeeeeee

Do you feel that? That's me. Oh so delicately preparing your holiday joy. My pants tighten with anticipation!
    In the front or in the back?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Due to this kitchen, cellar, bathroom extension stuff we have going at home, there will only ba single phase to the gifting this year, santee. But it will be the bombest. Not as bomb as it could've been maybe, but still.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    This means he's only bought you a house, instead of a house and a car.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    This means he's only bought you a house, instead of a house and a car.

Nah, the compromise is that he bought an RV.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    While I wait for Blizzcon to start, I'm going to work on more avatars!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice work on the background too.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ahhh!

GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gifGiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

My Santa has struck early! And you haven't given me near enough time to sleuth out who you are! I'll keep trying.

I got this message:
    To: Icemopper

Here is the first,
    of many a verse,
    for all your Christmas cheer.

You said you were building
    a tiny empire ne'er wilting,
    made of brick, mortar and steel.

then batman came crashing,
    Zsasz was a slashing,
    and broke the model under their heel.

Merry Mystery Christmasssssss

[Removed link to Humble WB Games Bundle!]

Not only did you find
    my interests quite aligned
    you guessed right this time
    that I love to rhyme!

I <3 Santa already, and it hasn't even come close to Thanksgiving! Thanks!

So this gives me two Batman games, one of which I did have on Steam, the other on PS3, but both of which I intend to play through again, so that's perfect!

It also netted me the second and third FEAR games, and I loved the first one when it came out ages ago, so I can't wait to try these too.

On top of that I got Lord of the Rings: War in the North, which is fantastic! I plan on convincing my wife to watch the Extended Edition Blu-Rays this weekend, to celebrate!

And finally, Scribblenaughts Unlimited! I absolutely cannot wait to play this game and test my wordsmithery!

Woo! Tis the season!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I must say, the humble bundle had perfect timing for secret santa shenanigans

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    If you're bored @Rorus_Raz could you santify Simon Pegg?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    If you're bored @Rorus_Raz could you santify Simon Pegg?

0.jpg

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I love that man.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    It looks like your avatars are looking at each other.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options

Hmm. Okay.
    (I had a mental image of the santa hat's tassel falling right over the lock of hair, but this works too.)
    Thanks!

wVEsyIc.png