As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

• Options
    KiraKiraKiraKiraKiraKira Fishwife Registered User regular
    I just wrote the final scene in my story. Still lots of missing scenes all the way through, but it feels amazing to have written a beginning, a middle, and an end.

Silly, because I am the author, but I was so happy today when my lovers finally got back together.

condiemint,pc,days.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I've made a huge mistake. I'm writing my book for charity, I'm 8k words short with 3 days to go, and somebody just literally, in my real life and close to me, died. I'm not going to be able to finish because this weekend is... well, gone because of this, and anything I do write is going to be useless. I've used JustGiving to accept donations and raised nearly £2.5k. I don't know what to say to the donors. Fuck

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    It is very rare to need more than "said"

Stylistic preferences will differ on this point, though

Extended dialogue is both very difficult and generally extremely boring

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I've made a huge mistake. I'm writing my book for charity, I'm 8k words short with 3 days to go, and somebody just literally, in my real life and close to me, died. I'm not going to be able to finish because this weekend is... well, gone because of this, and anything I do write is going to be useless. I've used JustGiving to accept donations and raised nearly £2.5k. I don't know what to say to the donors. Fuck
    First, my condolences. That is very sad news.
    Second, don't worry your donors will understand. They gave money to charity, not to you, it's not like you are stealing their money. But I'm sure everyone would love to see you finish, even if it isn't in November. Maybe pledge to write the last 8k words on the last 3 days of December instead?

condiemint,pc,days.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Only 45k to go

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Clocked through 45,000; 26 hours to go....

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    24 hours: 3,598 words remaining.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    <3k to go here. I might actually finish today!

edit: Well, got to go to work now and I've just got past today's target, after writing 2.8k today. Shouldn't have let myself fall behind again. Oh well, at least I'm on track to finish before the deadline.

edit: also, yesterday and today I feel like I'm writing a bit better. So yay. :bz

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    It's the final countdown. How is everyone doing?

Black Friday scares me around here, so instead of leaving the house I stayed in and got some writing done.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Stick a fork in me, I am done.

... by which I mean I am nowhere near done. But yay, arbitrary number reached!

• Options
    My 50,000th word was "a"

That is... delightfully anticlimactic.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    My 50,000th word was "a"

That is... delightfully anticlimactic.

tumblr_mvwm78jnMi1qblevxo4_r1_250.gif

• Options
    Just under 2k to go. Running out of steam.

Time for a big fight scene!

• Options
    I just shot a future helicopter with an industrial synthetic silk cannon. This didn't crash it, it tied it to a cliff.

I love sci-fi.

• Options
    Tomorrow, or the day after, I'm going to go through my story and just list off all the ridiculous bullshit I pulled in this caper during the writing to date. It'll only be, like, 10 things, and only 3 of them are any good, but come on; silk cannon.

• Options
    I shot a military aerial supremacy craft with material from a spider's butt.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to validate your word count! It doesn't work if you just hand enter it.

• Options
    Booyah, 50,000.

My 50k word was 'man'.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Well done, Fishman!

Well done, all of you!

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    and with two hours to go until the 1st of December, I have hit 90 pages

pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww

• Options
    It feels really weird waking up and not feeling like I have to slot writing ~2000 words into my day.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    smof wrote: »
    It feels really weird waking up and not feeling like I have to slot writing ~2000 words into my day.

I want to take a moment to say something about this

NaNoWriMo is wonderful because it gets people to write when they might not do so otherwise, but at the same time I am always leery of it because it makes people conditioned to only writing in November, like a diet plan guaranteed to work in four weeks, or a stint at summer camp.

For everyone who participated in this and loved it and is looking forward to next year: you do not have to wait. You do not have to look forward to anything.

Every month can be NaNoWriMo if you want it to be.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I do not want every month to be Nanowrimo, personally, I found it a chore at times. I am going to try and keep up the writing habit, but today was a day for doing all the things I've been putting off over the month because of Nanowrimo.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I understand

Writing seriously is work and it feels like work

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I just validated my novel and the nano site counted it as 50,200 instead of 50,145. 55 free words, woo!

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Mission accomplished.

My 50,000th word was "Nobody." However, I was using Open Office's word counter for mine, and when I validated it using the Nano website, I lost four words, so I guess that makes my 50,000th word "of" instead.

I technically finished two short stories (though both are going to need heavy rewrites before I show them to anyone). I also got over half of two other short stories done, along with a few random scenes from other projects I would like to work on. Plus some silly stories like Rex Dinofist when my brain wasn't working.

Overall, I'm glad I was able to finish, though next time I hope to work on an actual novel instead of a bunch of short stories (though some of my 'short' stories are turning out rather long so I'm debating expanding them into short novels instead). It is my hope that I can continue writing every day, though I'm going to scale back the requirements. I'm currently thinking of aiming for 1,200 words or three pages of editing/rewrites a day. It may be a little harder to keep motivated without all the little Nano bars to fill up though. Does anyone know of any kind of widget like that I could use year round that would let me set my own daily goals and such?

Chat sprints and this forum were a big help, so thanks to everyone for that.

Good luck to everyone else.

Lars on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Speaking of sprints, head to the IRC now if you want to do some.

• Options
    I have no idea what to do with my story now.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    heh, assembling my validator document because lol Evernote and Scrivener, and discovered several chapters I hadn't counted in yet, whoops.jpg

blank scrivener document says my 50,000th word was "thread"
    (weird.)

• Options
    75275 validated
    (ugh staring at that number, that is so low for me, but there is slightly less garbage this draft than there is normally, so whatever)

obligatory Loki gif goes here

• Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    I failed this so miserably

• Options
    edited November 2013
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    I failed this so miserably

Me too, but I want to keep plugging away at this novel concept, even if it is just a few thousand words a week. I need to figure out my large plot and the smaller character arcs though, because I am mired in those areas. I guess the detective lady does her job because it is her job, but I don't have anything for my protagonist beyond the most general. He wants to find his brother, and there a ton of obstacles in the way.

I feel like the detective should have deeper motivations too, because it is hard work, but I am drawing a blank. I think I am too much of a misanthrope to really write her as being compelled by a sense of duty to save what she can of the society, but I guess I can give it the old try.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Welp, November was crazy-town, unmotivated month. So I've managed 781 words. Wow. Blergh. Ah well. My real goal has been 1000 words because I started with barely a concept and no prep work, and that's a 1000 words more than I managed last year. Last year I managed zero words. haha. I have had a 781% improvement! Here's to making it a 1000% improvement tomorrow!

I do like the idea I've been working with, so I think I'll keep throwing words at it after this. And maybe figure out an actual conflict/resolution to solidify the plot.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I also feel like November is pretty much the busiest month, next to maybe December, and wonder why whoever picked that particular month for this thing.

I'm brainstorming, and thinking about the brothers in my story. I'm thinking about exploring a sort of one-sided relationship-- post-catastophe, the one brother ended up on a sort of post-apoc super deadly wildlife planet and sort of became a fairly big deal warlord, conquering territory while searching for a space ship to go to looking for the other brother-- and maybe he doesn't want to leave when his brother finds him.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    because if you can knuckle down and do this in one of the busiest months of the year then you have no excuses in the other 11?

• Options
    because if you can knuckle down and do this in one of the busiest months of the year then you have no excuses in the other 11?

I've heard that before, and I haven't had the time or the fortitude for the past six years.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    What did everyone end up writing about?

I have this unfair assumption that we're dealing with a lot of dragon books here and I want that to disspell that.

I understand not everyone wants to get into the nitty-gritty of their thing (lord knows I don't), but I am curious what drives you folks. I gotsta know.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    mine was about a mutant transgender detective who got sent from a post-apocalyptic earth to a low-key noir fantasy setting

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    A guy working for the department of Science Police that hunts down rogue AI.

(It turns out they're pretty much organizationally incompetent.)

• Options
    Natalie, a fairly ordinary 24 year old, meets Alex Rojas a latin crossover pop sensation. They dislike each other, lust after each other, almost sleep together, have a huge fight, avoid each other, work together, become friends, become lovers, date in secret, get outed in the tabloids, break up, and get back together. Roughly in that order. Plus Natalie's sister is involved with a sex tape scandal, Alex's sister gets appendicitis, Natalie's best friend Sadie is dating Alex's best friend Nico throughout, and Natalie's other friend Jenna ends up married to a sycophantic CEO that Natalie and Alex work with.
    I skipped over quite a bit after they become friends and just wrote the big highlight scenes because I really wanted to get to the ending by the end of Nano, which I did achieve. But now I need to go back and fill in lots of missing bits. And then edit. A lot.

condiemint,pc,days.png