Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    That sounds good, Smof, and I wouldn't worry about the room being small because 10 minutes into town is pretty good and people won't mind a smaller room in return for that location. And if you rent to recent uni graduate too they'll be used to a small room. You should have the larger room.

I think it sounds really lovely, especially the own bathroom, I'd love my own bathroom.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've decided to go for it. Last time we spoke to the sales woman there were only two plots left on the development that hadn't already been reserved, so fingers crossed there will still be one available when we get to talk to her again. She has proven frustratingly difficult to get hold of in the past.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hooray! Its a scary decision to make, let us know how it goes.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can I just say how happy it makes me that @MadEddy awesomed those posts. The judgemental house approves of my house news!

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    got the worst palm tree in the world cut down last week, trimmed up the three I have left

i gotta go buy a quality ladder so I can trim up my three oak trees, one is touching the house. think i am going to buy a hedge trimmer or something. I don't think sheers will do the job.

after that's all sorted, we move to phase 2: resodding

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So there was water leaking up in my basement from an unknown source last Thursday morning. I called the property manager to let her know we need a plumber.

She sends a guy to check the water heater. Mind I never said there was water coming from the water heater located on the other side of the house where the water was coming up or that we had any problems with hot water.

Fortunately the confused water heater guy was kind enough to help me try and figure out where the water was coming from and it turns out a pipe under the sink froze during the POLAR VORTEX. So hey, awesome, at least now we know the source of the leak. I call the property manager to let her know.

And she sends out an HVAC guy to check the heater. Which was fine. Basement just got cold, them's the breaks. Water's still hanging out under the linoleum in the basement.

Tomorrow a plumber will finally be coming out to make an estimate. Something I'm pretty sure could have been achieved on Thursday.

Coincidentally our lease is up this month. Moving would be a pain right now but I told the wife to negotiate a six month lease when they talk tomorrow cause Christ alive this woman.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Hello, renting thread. I found a home for rent in my area, 4 bedrooms 2 bath, place looks awesome from the pictures, rent is 1300 a month and includes utils, but the owner has never been a landlord before. I have never rented before (still living at home).

Things the owner/potential landlord tells me the place has: tankless water heater, granite counter tops, upstairs laundry, tile, laminates and carpet, secure electric gate with remote. Also new furnace, central air, hot water heater, all new windows, 2 completely remodeled baths, hardwood floors refinished, roof, new two car garage, new deck, new driveway, and much, much more.

Goose! on
  • Options
    A roof you say.

Also beware the new landlord. The post above yours is the kind of stupid stuff I've been dealing with every month for the last year because the property manager has no idea what they're doing.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Especially for something that seems so cheap - I mean utilities included? Are you sharing the house and that's just your portion? Even in rural areas $1300 included for a 4br/2ba with upgrades is quite cheap.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd be extremely skeptical at that price, freshly minted landlord or not. Unless it's a single room, in which case I hope it's a master bedroom with a vaulted ceiling.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    1300 for a 4/2 is about right for suburban atlanta.

However no one includes utils.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Hello, renting thread. I found a home for rent in my area, 4 bedrooms 2 bath, place looks awesome from the pictures, rent is 1300 a month and includes utils, but the owner has never been a landlord before. I have never rented before (still living at home).

Things the owner/potential landlord tells me the place has: tankless water heater, granite counter tops, upstairs laundry, tile, laminates and carpet, secure electric gate with remote. Also new furnace, central air, hot water heater, all new windows, 2 completely remodeled baths, hardwood floors refinished, roof, new two car garage, new deck, new driveway, and much, much more.

what location? that sounds extremely well appointed for that price

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Put in a work order this morning because my light switch zapped the crap out of me last night.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I want to get rid of the hideous overgrown bushes on our walkway and then pressure wash everything to make it nice and clean, but I can't and urgh everytime I walk by it's so ugly.

Like even just putting some flowers there, or gravel would look better. But the bushes grow like weeds and they grow out rather than up, so I keep having to prune them so they don't take over the walkway.

• Options
    It would still look ugly until you pulled/dug them up, but poison the bushes?

• Options
    pressure washing is easy and fun. don't know what to do about the bushes without seeing them. if you sheer them low enough they'll probably just die and then you can plant flowers

the only tough thing about pressure washing is they are a little expensive up front, but home depot will rent you one. If you have the right nozzle attachment you can knock a sidewalk out in less than two hours

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Jasconius wrote: »
    pressure washing is easy and fun. don't know what to do about the bushes without seeing them. if you sheer them low enough they'll probably just die and then you can plant flowers

the only tough thing about pressure washing is they are a little expensive up front, but home depot will rent you one. If you have the right nozzle attachment you can knock a sidewalk out in less than two hours

Oh, I guess I should have clarified. The issue isn't that I lack the resources to dispose of the offending foilage, but rather, the permission. We're renting the house, so as of now, any long-term maintenance or cosmetic changes to the property is still a pretty big grey area.

EDIT: Plus when I finally get around to doing it, I fully plan on exploiting @abracadaniel and his business to their fullest extent, including finally getting a meal expensed to his company card

Javen on
  • Options
    You start with a sidewalk. And then hmm still got some time left, let's do the stairs. Drive way. Ooh siding and gutters and moss on the foundation and hey where'd the weekend go.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Because they would need a much much wider base which would make them difficult to carry/transport/setup
    Also if you are standing on the top rung you may not be able to hold onto something for stability.

also also if you lose your balance and fall you can catch yourself on the ladder much more easily than if you are on the top, for instance if your foot slips you will hit into the ladder (facing forward) or fall on your ass on the ladder (facing out) instead of falling into open space

My boss actually had a bad spill a few weeks back.

I was running cat6 for my office because the current layout was impractical. So he came down and guffawed at my taking an 15 minutes to run a wire from the patch panel to my office. So he, like the crazy Indian guy he is, told me I was going too slow, had me step down, and took the ladder and kept climbing up to the top rung. He made a comment about how he could probably get on the beam and climb around and it'd make it easier.

I told him something to the effect of no that's a crazy idea, and made a comment about it being comically worse than him already dancing around on the top rung of the ladder.

He did surprisingly well until the last throw. He had me open up a tile across the way, and then leaned back to throw the wire... and then he came toppling down.

It was bad. Blood, gaping wound in the back of his head, concussion, seizure, ugh.

That's why you don't get up on the top rung of a ladder.

He's okay though, just a little worse for wear.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    You start with a sidewalk. And then hmm still got some time left, let's do the stairs. Drive way. Ooh siding and gutters and moss on the foundation and hey where'd the weekend go.

then watch as your neighbors feel shamed and have to break theirs out the following weekend

i was the first on my block to get the "please wash your sidewalks" notice.

so i did

then magically three weeks later everyone else's is sparkly clean too

can't wait to see what happens when I repaint the exterior

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Quid wrote: »
    So there was water leaking up in my basement from an unknown source last Thursday morning. I called the property manager to let her know we need a plumber.

She sends a guy to check the water heater. Mind I never said there was water coming from the water heater located on the other side of the house where the water was coming up or that we had any problems with hot water.

Fortunately the confused water heater guy was kind enough to help me try and figure out where the water was coming from and it turns out a pipe under the sink froze during the POLAR VORTEX. So hey, awesome, at least now we know the source of the leak. I call the property manager to let her know.

And she sends out an HVAC guy to check the heater. Which was fine. Basement just got cold, them's the breaks. Water's still hanging out under the linoleum in the basement.

Tomorrow a plumber will finally be coming out to make an estimate. Something I'm pretty sure could have been achieved on Thursday.

Coincidentally our lease is up this month. Moving would be a pain right now but I told the wife to negotiate a six month lease when they talk tomorrow cause Christ alive this woman.

Update!

The plumber I asked for came by today. Turns out the water heater guy was wrong and the sink pipes down there were just shittily put together. We'd never noticed since we never use that sink.

Now if only she'd sent him out when I asked instead of wasting everyone's time.

Quid on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I may have been spoiled by the big industrial grade pressure washers used in truck dealerships to wash truck chassis, but a whole weekend?

It sounds like you need a little more power...

*tim allen grunt*

• Options

I may have been spoiled by the big industrial grade pressure washers used in truck dealerships to wash truck chassis, but a whole weekend?

*tim allen grunt*

Well you do some, have a beer, do some more, play with the dog, do some more, have a beer, get an urge to look for that thing you can't remember where you put in the garage, start prepping the mower but then remember the pressure washer is still hooked up, work on that some more, realize this whole time you haven't had music playing, oh yeah and tacos you need tacos

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Time to finally start looking for a place to rent around here.

And so far it's a whole lot of NO PETS

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Seeing eye cat

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I think weaver seems to have a good plan when it comes it cleaning.

• Options
    Making myself miss actually having a huge house.

• Options

*tim allen grunt*

The Benford straight six turbo 3000TI pressure washer XL Deluxe

wand and nozzle made of diamond

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The pressure washer at the Kewdale depot of the Volvo truck dealership I used to work at was powered by a used D7 truck engine. 7 litres and 250 horsepower of turbocharged six cylinder diesel power.

You had to lean into it like firing a big-bore rifle or it would push you over when you pulled the trigger. You could erode words into the concrete if you held it too close to the floor when it was running.

• Options
    You could erode words into the concrete if you held it too close to the floor when it was running.

I'm guessing this is information formed from experience.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    There were multiple instances of a certain managers name and assorted unpleasant words...

• Options
    well what else are you going to etch into stone??

flowery poetry?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Time to finally start looking for a place to rent around here.

And so far it's a whole lot of NO PETS

When I move out of this apartment I'm getting a letter of recommendation.

Not for me, for my corgi. She will get a certificate that just says, "DA BES"

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Three day weekend means it's time to start looking for (and hopefully at) new rooms. Don't want to leave, but asshole continues to show no interest in being anything but an asshole.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Is there some sort of service where you can put your price range, home preferences, and desired move in date so you're sent offers from realtors/property managers? Since we've got at least another six months I'd rather do that right now rather than sift through a bunch of listings through a bunch of different sites that don't apply to our situation.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    So a different rental property than the one I posted came off extremely fishy and I didn't pursue it after the first email correspondence. The person's name on the ad was a Jennifer something, the email of the person who replied said muhammad something (as in that was their name), but they signed the email as Jennifer something. Also in the body of that email they said they just moved to Georgia and I wouldn't be able to see the inside of the place.

So I was disappointed that my too-good-to-be-true rental from my previous post also came with someone who had just moved (to North Carolina) and thus I could not schedule a time to see the place. Back to the drawing board.

That being said, where do folks look for apartments/houses for rent? I am super new at this. I've been looking on apps and websites (trulia, zillow, padmapper, hotpads, lovely, craigslist) but maybe I'm missing something?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I think I contacted those same scammers about an apartment! I was super bummed when they contacted me, because the place looked perfect for me, but they couldn't have sounded more like a wire fraud scam if they tried.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    @Godmode had a similar email exchange when he was first moving into the area a little over a year ago. It was a super religious man that had to move for work and he gave out way too many random details (his daughters like to draw and loved horses) and really no information about the house.

It was a really weird email exchange.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    So a different rental property than the one I posted came off extremely fishy and I didn't pursue it after the first email correspondence. The person's name on the ad was a Jennifer something, the email of the person who replied said muhammad something (as in that was their name), but they signed the email as Jennifer something. Also in the body of that email they said they just moved to Georgia and I wouldn't be able to see the inside of the place.

So I was disappointed that my too-good-to-be-true rental from my previous post also came with someone who had just moved (to North Carolina) and thus I could not schedule a time to see the place. Back to the drawing board.

That being said, where do folks look for apartments/houses for rent? I am super new at this. I've been looking on apps and websites (trulia, zillow, padmapper, hotpads, lovely, craigslist) but maybe I'm missing something?

Depends on the market:
    More Demand than Supply - You have to go to the landlords, and it's better to be on the ground and at your location to apartment hunt. I know in SF you needed to be there and get it within a day and a half of when it started showing. Get a place on AirBnB for 2 weeks and use that for hunting time.
    More Supply than Demand - Craigslist/Padmapper + local papers. The more rural or isolated the metro, the more likely a local paper or listing site is used.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    So, a few pics of the new place I'll take over on Feb 15th

5207256-22-alt.jpg

5207256-21-alt.jpg

5207256-24-alt.jpg

5207256-01-alt.jpg

5207256-03-alt.jpg

5207256-09-alt.jpg

5207256-15-alt.jpg

3 bedrooms and bathrooms aren't anything special, but the mantle and kitchen bar are reclaimed beam wood and there's an enclosed sun-porch that runs the full length of the barn. There's about an acre of fully fenced land that backs up to two giant horse pastures.

That'll do pig.

easysig2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.