As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MAHVEL] at the new MCU thread, this one's done!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Sorry, every time I see him I always flash back to the sucky seasons of Smallville.

He was only on season 1 which was awesome.

he reappeared later on, season 2 or 3 i think. though if i remember correctly it wasn't really him.
    Isn't it extra racist to turn the white kung fu guy Chinese?

It would only be racist if there's literally all there is to his character. No one complains about the Asian martial artists in "Airbender," do they?

With that said, even if you ignored the "Mighty Whitey" undertones of Iron Fist's character, I seriously doubt that his origin story would translate well onto the big screen. Guy transports to mystical dimension and fights a dragon. Why not just bring back "Howard the Duck" while you're at it? Best case scenario, and it's a rehash of "Batman Begins."

I imagine that if they bring Iron Fist to the big screen, he'll just be a generic martial artist. At which point, why not just replace him with Shang Chi and be done with it?

:o can we? can we please? that'd be so fucking aweso......

:( you're not being serious with that one are you?

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Sorry, every time I see him I always flash back to the sucky seasons of Smallville.

he reappeared later on, season 2 or 3 i think. though if i remember correctly it wasn't really him.

It would only be racist if there's literally all there is to his character. No one complains about the Asian martial artists in "Airbender," do they?

With that said, even if you ignored the "Mighty Whitey" undertones of Iron Fist's character, I seriously doubt that his origin story would translate well onto the big screen. Guy transports to mystical dimension and fights a dragon. Why not just bring back "Howard the Duck" while you're at it? Best case scenario, and it's a rehash of "Batman Begins."

I imagine that if they bring Iron Fist to the big screen, he'll just be a generic martial artist. At which point, why not just replace him with Shang Chi and be done with it?

Howard the Duck is in Lego Marvel Superheroes.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Last night during Thor when it cut to Svartalfheim this loud family with kids behind us seemed mystified. Some kid asked, "What is that, daddy? Where are they? What does it say?" The dad replied, "It says ... Subluhbluh. *loud laugh*"

I have to admit that I was genuinely irritated and wanted to blurt out, "Obviously it's the BLACK - ELF - HOME like it says even if you don't already know what that is, you cultural illiterates."

I am a judgmental nerd

Norse mythological literacy or gtfo

@dasuberedward

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    desc wrote: »
    Last night during Thor when it cut to Svartalfheim this loud family with kids behind us seemed mystified. Some kid asked, "What is that, daddy? Where are they? What does it say?" The dad replied, "It says ... Subluhbluh. *loud laugh*"

I have to admit that I was genuinely irritated and wanted to blurt out, "Obviously it's the BLACK - ELF - HOME like it says even if you don't already know what that is, you cultural illiterates."

I am a judgmental nerd

@dasuberedward

Okay yes. I had the same feeling. I just kept yelling it in my head over and over again. Tried to mentally project the urge to pick up a book one day into the kid with my rage.

I do not think I succeeded.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Was that the same actor playing Hogun that was in Thor 1?

Guy seemed different but it might have just been the beard.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Nocren said:
    Was that the same actor playing Hogun that was in Thor 1?

Guy seemed different but it might have just been the beard.
    Same guy.  Japanese actor Tadanobu Asano. I'm guessing that's why we was in the movie less than the others.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Howard the Duck is in Lego Marvel Superheroes.
    i am aware of this and it is indeed awesome as all fuck.   :)

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They should just go and make a Howard the Duck animated series.

Though something better than their current shows.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    this should be mentioned in here

LEGO and Marvel put out a series of shorts called LEGO - Marvel Superheroes: Maximum Overload

It's on netflix (US for sure) and is amazing

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    desc said:

If we were going for that, then Thor would be the big, dumb, never-learns, nose-in-the-air, near-genocidal maniac he never seems to get portrayed as. Loki would be more than justified for trying to kill all the Asgardians. (In the Eddas, Thor tries to kill Loki's son constantly. Odin takes three of Loki's children, ties one to a stake (actually made an honor pact and broke it to trick Fenrir into being held), throws one in the ocean, and appoints one to keep the dishonored, old, and sick dead in Hel. Odin also rides on one of Loki's children (Sleipnir) who is from an episode where Loki was forced to try and swindle a giant because Odin is a tightass. Loki's also responsible for the creation of Odin's spear, Thor's hammer (which Loki later gets back for Thor in the most amusing way possible), and a number of other artifacts mostly because he's the only one with a little cleverness. For most of the Eddas the Aesir are dicks, and you're almost glad when Loki and his kin kill them all.)

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    ooooh! oh! Oh!

i've got it!! Howard the Duck cameo in Gardians of the Galaxy! how awesome would that be?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    "What about that planet?"

"We don't go there. It's full of ducks."

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    this should be mentioned in here

LEGO and Marvel put out a series of shorts called LEGO - Marvel Superheroes: Maximum Overload

It's on netflix (US for sure) and is amazing

It's also on Marvel's Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrolo3HdN9A

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Well Howard is a member of A.R.M.O.R.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    desc said: Norse mythological literacy or gtfo<br />

<br />

<br />
    <br />
    If we were going for that, then Thor would be the big, dumb, never-learns, nose-in-the-air, near-genocidal maniac he never seems to get portrayed as. Loki would be more than justified for trying to kill all the Asgardians. (In the Eddas, Thor tries to kill Loki's son constantly. Odin takes three of Loki's children[...]

I want the audience to be familiar with the source mythology being riffed on for a comic nerd movie, not a movie which is just a retelling of the Eddas.

Well, I mean, I do want the latter but that's not what I'm grousing about at all.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    They should just go and make a Howard the Duck animated series.<br />
    <br />
    Though something better than their current shows.

Let's not. Loeb would make himself its showrunner. :(
    desc wrote: »
    I want the audience to be familiar with the source mythology being riffed on for a comic nerd movie, not a movie which is just a retelling of the Eddas.

You'll need another movie franchise for that, you're not going to get it with Marvel's. They have their own version of the Greek, Norse etc gods.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So Thor was really good.

• Options
    You'll need another movie franchise for that, you're not going to get it with Marvel's. They have their own version of the Greek, Norse etc gods.

Oh, I know. My unreasonable reaction comes from thinking the myths as they've come down to us and the comics alike are interesting to compare and the movie takes liberties with both (there's no Beta Ray Bills flying around or what-have-you) and it's interesting to compare what the movie does with the source materials.

(also no one in the world has any reason to know what Svartálfaheimr is but that doesn't stop me from being huffy)

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    For most of the Eddas the Aesir are dicks, and you're almost glad when Loki and his kin kill them all.)

Spoilers! I haven't read them yet!

• Options
    For most of the Eddas the Aesir are dicks, and you're almost glad when Loki and his kin kill them all.)

Spoilers! I haven't read them yet!

Surtr is amazingly cool.
    His Marvel version (Surtur) is almost fitting. Hope he shows up in the movies sometime.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I was actually hoping that Thor 2's after-credits would include Surtur beginning to forge Twilight.

Qgp4W3W.jpg

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I feel it's a little early for Surtur. Maybe we'll get Hel in the next movie. She seems a safe bet.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    I feel it's a little early for Surtur. Maybe we'll get Hel in the next movie. She seems a safe bet.

Enchantress and the Executioner.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Batman trained with Asian martial artists and never helps black people.

Discuss.
    Jk, we should all help in burying this, and never speak of it again.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    So apparently Zachary Levi was supposed to be the original Fandrel in the first Thor and couldn't because he was busy with Chuck.

And so they got Josh Dallas.

Who couldn't do Thor II because he was busy with Once upon a time.

And so they got Zachary Levi.

Interesting.

Also, I definitely accidentally got into the "VIP" theatre that was recently built around here, because I didn't realize while buying the tickets, since it's the same amount of SCENE points whether you go normal or VIP(though twice the price if you're buying with money dollars). the VIP theatre had a lounge with a bar outside the theatres, and you could order food and booze to your seat during the pre-movie time.

It was awesome.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Started browsing the marvel website to see the latest updates in the world of comics.

Man, that website is confusing.

All I want is a comprehensive list of current titles and what I will find inside of them. Is that really such a hard thing?

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Enchantress and the Executioner.

Well, you know, I've wondered about that. Enchantress' usual shtick is that she'll go to any lengths to make Thor love her. However, considering Thor has now:

1) saved a planet from genocide,
    2) saved the Earth from an alien invasion,
    3) saved the universe from total annihilation,

...having Enchantress show up seems a bit like small potatoes at this point. I'm not saying they won't use her and Executioner, but expectations have kinda been raised.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Started browsing the marvel website to see the latest updates in the world of comics.

All I want is a comprehensive list of current titles and what I will find inside of them. Is that really such a hard thing?

Comixology has exactly what you described. Even if you don't purchase from them directly, they are a great way to see Marvel(and several other companies) comic line ups.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

http://marvel.com/comics/series

It's not perfect, but it's a comprehensive list of every series, with ones currently ongoing in bold. Clicking on them will give you a concise description of what is in them.

Although now that I look at it closer, there are actually quite a few series listed there as ongoing that were cancelled a while ago. Dang.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I know I'm late to the LOLASIANS party where people are whining about the lack of them and how Iron fist should totally be asian because racism, but I wanted to think about a character that is asian that would be fun to bring to the big or small screen and wasn't a "yellow terror" caricature and finally remembered one.

amadeus_cho_027.jpg
    This, is Amadeus Cho, the 7th smartest person on earth. He is a 16 year old chinese-american whose house blew up after he won a sweepstakes and was chased all over the place by a shadowy government agency. How does he survive these encounters you ask? Build a fancy laser gun? Bathe himself in exotic radioactive particles to gain super powers? Get himself a suit of power armor? Fly into outer space?

Nope. He instead channels
    macgyver-logo.jpg
    to wreck everyone who even thinks about messing with him or his friends.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I know I'm late to the LOLASIANS party where people are whining about the lack of them and how Iron fist should totally be asian because racism, but I wanted to think about a character that is asian that would be fun to bring to the big or small screen and wasn't a "yellow terror" caricature and finally remembered one.

amadeus_cho_027.jpg
    This, is Amadeus Cho, the 7th smartest person on earth. He is a 16 year old chinese-american whose house blew up after he won a sweepstakes and was chased all over the place by a shadowy government agency. How does he survive these encounters you ask? Build a fancy laser gun? Bathe himself in exotic radioactive particles to gain super powers? Get himself a suit of power armor? Fly into outer space?

macgyver-logo.jpg

Noah Ringer just turned 16 recently. Can he play Cho in the movie?

Anyway, if you want an Asian non-stereotype character, I guess they're always Jubilee. I wonder who they would cast to play Jubilee if they ever did a movie?

Heather%20McComb-SGG-059372.jpg

Oh.

Well hey, at least Captain America had an Asian side kick sort of.

• Options
    Oh hey, Generation X is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2woRmWMhm0

Watch it if you dare.

• Options
    edited November 2013

amadeus_cho_027.jpg

macgyver-logo.jpg

Noah Ringer just turned 16 recently. Can he play Cho in the movie?

Anyway, if you want an Asian non-stereotype character, I guess they're always Jubilee. I wonder who they would cast to play Jubilee if they ever did a movie?
    Heather%20McComb-SGG-059372.jpg
    Oh.

Well hey, at least Captain America had an Asian side kick sort of.

Frankly Captain America is probably the first movie in more than a decade that even acknowledged that Asian-Americans were even present in WWII, and on top of that acknowledged that they faced discrimination, so yeah that "Asian side kick sort of" is a pretty big deal.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Frankly Captain America is probably the first movie in more than a decade that even acknowledged that Asian-Americans were even present in WWII, and on top of that acknowledged that they faced discrimination, so yeah that "Asian side kick sort of" is a pretty big deal.

Yeah, I kid, but that was actually impressive on behalf of the movie.

I looked it up later and found out that was an actual character from the book.

Too bad he's probably dead of old age by now.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Truth talk: I loved the Generation X movie in all it's horrible cheesy glory. I'm so sorry. :(

Then again, I miss Generation X comic book. Any hope that we'll get a GenX reunion is dead along with Mondo, Skin, and Synch.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Truth talk: I loved the Generation X movie in all it's horrible cheesy glory. I'm so sorry. :(

Then again, I miss Generation X comic book. Any hope that we'll get a GenX reunion is dead along with Mondo, Skin, and Synch.

I too loved the Generation X movie. It was horrible, but it was the first time for live action X-Anything, and since they've always been my favorite side of the Marvel U it was special! It was also possibly the only half-decent version of a live action Emma Frost we'll ever get (I liked First Class, but she was horrible).

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited November 2013

amadeus_cho_027.jpg

macgyver-logo.jpg

Cho was a lot of fun in um. I think it was civil war stuff. But then he was usually featured in books I didn't read afterward. Now that could easily be a marvel universe tv series.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So you're saying you didn't read Incredible Hercules? You should fix that.

• Options
    So you're saying you didn't read Incredible Hercules? You should fix that.

During the Fear Itself storyline, Amadeus Cho ends up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean somewhere with X-23, Spider-Girl, Power Man, and Thunderstrike. They end up fighting a bunch of Samurai Sharks.[21] It's revealed that Amadeus assembled them in the hopes that they would join him as a new super team. The others get angry because he was manipulating them and they turn down his offer.[22]

Idk

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.