Options

[MAHVEL] at the new MCU thread, this one's done!

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    i mean they cast sam jackson as nick fury. i don't really see that it's a big deal unless being a white guy is a really important part of the iron fist character.

i (obviously) don't follow the character, but i had always assumed he was an asian dude. his mask covered his hair and most of his face, so there weren't really any visual clues that he wasn't.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i mean they cast sam jackson as nick fury. i don't really see that it's a big deal unless being a white guy is a really important part of the iron fist character.

i (obviously) don't follow the character, but i had always assumed he was an asian dude. his mask covered his hair and most of his face, so there weren't really any visual clues that he wasn't.

Well, Sam Jackson's Nick Fury was based on the Ultimate version of Nick Fury that was based on (appearance-wise) Sam Jackson.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    It's really important to emphasize that if you are a master of kung fu, you better be asian.

Especially with a superhero name like Iron Fist I mean seriously

first the mandarin and now this

I mean I just assumed he was asian so the MCU better conform to my assumptions.

Greeper on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

True. When he's being trained in K'un-L'un him being white is what isolates him from everyone else who is of Asian descent. Danny doesn't have to be white but to keep this idea he can't be cast with an Asian actor. They can ignore the isolation aspect entirely or make K'un L'un international or something, of course.

Here's an image of what he looks like under the mask.

http://watchman1985.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/305/

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Greeper wrote: »
    It's really important to emphasize that if you are a master of kung fu, you better be asian.

yeah no one thought that casting david carradine instead of bruce lee as cain in kung fu was kind of shameful in retrospect

i mean really marvel is producing so many prominent asian superheroes in their comics and movie franchises that i guess they've kind of inoculated themselves against criticism here

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Because only Asians can be martial arts masters?

because it's an opportunity for marvel to feature an asian superhero and yeah the martial arts thing makes sense.

So, you want the first featured asian hero to be the martial arts guy?
    but no i guess you're right. there aren't enough white superheroes and it's important to stay true to the character in the comic books

These words you've put in my mouth, they taste funny.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Greeper wrote: »

yeah no one thought that casting david carradine instead of bruce lee as cain in kung fu was kind of shameful in retrospect

i mean really marvel is producing so many prominent asian superheroes in their comics and movie franchises that i guess they've kind of inoculated themselves against criticism here

Your criticism is 'the guy I assumed was asian because he knows kung fu isn't'?

Hah.

Greeper on
  • Options
    yeah okay. no one's going to be bothered that marvel's signature "martial arts master" movie superhero is a blonde white guy.

maybe he can get an asian sidekick or something.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Iron Fist is basically Bruce Wayne, if Bruce Wayne's parents weren't killed by criminals, but instead they froze to death during an expedition in the Himalayas trying to discover Shangri-La and he got raised in Shangri-La and got super kung fu powers from punching a dragon to death.

• Options
    I just find it a little unproductive to start the argument of under-representation of Asians in comics and comic movies with a martial arts character. It's certainly an important issue, I don't think the solution is basically to create an asian stereotype.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    yeah okay. no one's going to be bothered that marvel's signature "martial arts master" movie superhero is a blonde white guy.

Lol

This comment is funny because a regular team up partner/bff to Iron Fist is Shang-chi, Marvel's version of Bruce Lee.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Lol

This comment is funny because a regular team up/bff to Iron Fist is Shang-chi, Marvel's version of Bruce Lee.

That's not how you spell Luke Cage.

• Options
    So I was thinking about this deal. They are coming exclusive to Netflix, which means they won't be limited to what they can include in the show.

Does this mean that they will show that infamous scene between Luke Cage and Jessica Jones?
    Alias.jpg

what is this even?

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones having
    butt secks
    . D:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The fact that you call it "butt secks" tells me you're not ready.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    The fact that you call it "butt secks" tells me you're not ready.

oh come on now, don't be so anal. :P

• Options

Lol

This comment is funny because a regular team up/bff to Iron Fist is Shang-chi, Marvel's version of Bruce Lee.

Shang-chi is the dude he hangs out with when he's not around Luke Cage.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I just find it a little unproductive to start the argument of under-representation of Asians in comics and comic movies with a martial arts character. It's certainly an important issue, I don't think the solution is basically to create an asian stereotype.

i just read over the origin story and it's kind of icky really. rich white kid is stranded among an ancient asian civilization dedicated to martial arts and learns the arts better than any of them ever could. and then, of course, all of his signature enemies are basically asian guys jealous that this white guy is better at the art/ inherited the power unjustly/ whatever.

it's kind of an ugly trope. also, it's going to look pretty tired after the recent batman trilogy was almost the exact same origin.

i get what you're saying about the asian guy knowing martial arts being something of a stereotype. but i also think the opposite - that a white guy is the Best Martial Artist In The World and Sole Inheritor Of An Ancient Chinese Power is even uglier.

it's also a missed opportunity IMO. marvel doesn't seem to have a lot of opportunities on their docket to showcase an asian lead. this is possibly one, and it could be achieved with a really minor reworking of the character/ origin - even if they wanted to keep the tycoon orphan thing.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Lol

Shang-chi is the dude he hangs out with when he's not around Luke Cage.

yeah cause that's great, guy's black best friend isn't about so he goes and gets himself an asian.... something seems off there to me.
    i may not be being entirely serious...

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    skeldare wrote: »
    Yea, technically it should have been "Heroes for Hire" but calling them the Defenders in this universe works.

Now, the question, who could they get for each character?

Daredevil: Jeffrey Donovan (Foggy Nelson will obviously be played by Bruce Campbell)
    Luke Cage: Christopher Judge
    Iron Fist: Eric Johnson
    Jessica Jones: Adrianne Palicki

isn't iron fist an asian dude?

Nope. White guy with blonde hair.

Name Danny Rand.

what? that is the worst

they should make him an asian dude for the MU movie reboot

i mean come on

Iron Fist was one of the characters created as a direct reference to Bruce Lee.

Also considering that we took martial arts and wuxia films and turned them into the whitest versions (Van Damme, Segal, Matrix, even Star Wars) that we could for a few decades (everyone wants to forget the "White ninja" period in movies and TV), I think it'd be fair to give an Asian actor a leading role for once.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Lol

This comment is funny because a regular team up partner/bff to Iron Fist is Shang-chi, Marvel's version of Bruce Lee.

One thing to note - Shang-chi used to be the headliner of Marvel's most popular book a ways back that lasted for more than 100 issues. Iron Fist was teamed up with Luke Cage because he couldn't sustain his own book and hasn't been able to carry a book long since.

• Options
    Immortal Iron Fist?

• Options
    Immortal Iron Fist?

Critical favorite that only lasted 27 issues because it was a critical favorite. It was never a big seller, even when Fraction and Brubaker were writing it.

Which is a shame, because it was a great book.

• Options
    Of all of these, I'm most excited for the Jessica Jones series. These four characters are basically the Brian Michael Bendis funpack, and that means there's a good chance that this means the show will be an adaption of Alias.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular

Iron Fist is basically Bruce Wayne, if Bruce Wayne's parents weren't killed by criminals, but instead they froze to death during an expedition in the Himalayas trying to discover Shangri-La and he got raised in Shangri-La and got super kung fu powers from punching a dragon to death.

MCU solution - Danny's Caucasian father tries to find Shangri-La and nearly freezes to death. Is found and rescued, nursed to health by a woman he falls in love with and has a kid with. Danny is now white AND Asian, everyone wins.

Also, Danny's parents are killed by whomever the antagonist is. Danny faces Shou-Lao in order to gain the power he needs to avenge their deaths. Over the course of the series learns that vengeance is not justice and begins to find a way towards inner-peace.

Kevin Feige, if you're here you can PM my royalty check.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Isn't it extra racist to turn the white kung fu guy Chinese?

• Options
    Of all of these, I'm most excited for the Jessica Jones series. These four characters are basically the Brian Michael Bendis funpack, and that means there's a good chance that this means the show will be an adaption of Alias.

Which is where the butt sex comes in.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    No, because racism isn't a two-way street based purely on the fact that it isn't a two-way street. Taking asian roles from asian actors is wrong because there's an institutionalized prejudice against asian lead roles. Taking white roles from white people isn't wrong because according to Hollywood, everything is a white role.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    they just make daredevil asian

bam

problem solved

• Options
    would making Iron Fist asian make up for The Mandarin?

• Options
    I seriously doubt they'll make any changes to any of the characters. One of the things that has characterized the Marvel films is that they've brought the characters - especially the heroes - onto the screen virtually unchanged from their comics versions. Even with Nick Fury, the Samuel L. Jackson version in the comic predates the movie version by a decade.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    No, because racism isn't a two-way street based purely on the fact that it isn't a two-way street. Taking asian roles from asian actors is wrong because there's an institutionalized prejudice against asian lead roles. Taking white roles from white people isn't wrong because according to Hollywood, everything is a white role.

It's probably due to some unconcious inner racism I have, but it seems wrong to turn a Chinese inspired Caucasian character Chinese because reasons.

Let's not erase the evidence of racism, but let it serve as inspiration to create new, not always straight white male characters.

(Which is happening, slowly but surely)

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    i don't really see that it's a big deal unless being a white guy is a really important part of the iron fist character.

It kinda is

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    i don't really see that it's a big deal unless being a white guy is a really important part of the iron fist character.

It kinda is

Exactly, a big part of Iron Fist's character is that he was an outcast due to his race.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Because only Asians can be martial arts masters?

because it's an opportunity for marvel to feature an asian superhero and yeah the martial arts thing makes sense.

but no i guess you're right. there aren't enough white superheroes and it's important to stay true to the character in the comic books

...I'm not exactly sure it's the most progressive and ethnically aware casting decision to go "Oh, Martial Artist Super Hero? Gotta cast an Asian dude." or "Oh, we need an Asian super hero, make him the martial artist."

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Like, do we need more diversity in TV/Film? Hell yes.

I don't think we accomplish that by, you know, putting people in stereotypical roles.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    i am serious about casting a non-white dude as daredevil

it's not like daredevil's ethnicity really has much to do with his character all

like the kind of arguments that get made for "why not black spider-man?" apply here

• Options
    How about this; make Danny Rand native american. Removes the 'white savior' stuff, keeps the 'outcast is the chosen one' stuff, AND it helps boost a poorly represented ethnicity without stereotyping. (Whether by making the kung fu guy asian, or by making the native american guy get his powers from animal spirits or shamanism)

• Options
    not bad

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Danny could still be an outcast because he's a filthy American-Chinese dude.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    i am serious about casting a non-white dude as daredevil

it's not like daredevil's ethnicity really has much to do with his character all

like the kind of arguments that get made for "why not black spider-man?" apply here

Donald Glover for Daredevil?

This discussion has been closed.