Options

[MAHVEL] at the new MCU thread, this one's done!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Joel McHale as Danny Rand.
    Donald Glover as Matt Murdock.
    Gillian Jacobs as Jessica Jones.
    Chevy Chase as Luke Cage.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    too far

too far

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    i am serious about casting a non-white dude as daredevil

it's not like daredevil's ethnicity really has much to do with his character all

like the kind of arguments that get made for "why not black spider-man?" apply here

While I don't hate the idea of an Asian Daredevil, I really want Jeffrey Donovan as Daredevil. The dude needs work after Burn Notice ended, and he's awesome. Plus if you can somehow get Bruce Campbell as Foggy Nelson, and then Jessie in there as Ben Urich, it would be the best Daredevil show ever.

Also, I'm all for a black Spider-Man. Miles over in ultimate is one of the best Spider-Men in ages.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Foggy Nelson should clearly be Phillip Seymour Hoffman, even though there's not a chance in hell he'd do it.

Daredevil needs to be good-looking, athletic, have great range and be able to convince as an incredibly smart lawyer. Oh, and convincingly act blind.

Donovan doesn't really seem like he's top of the list for the last two items. Last three items.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

it's not like daredevil's ethnicity really has much to do with his character all

like the kind of arguments that get made for "why not black spider-man?" apply here

While I don't hate the idea of an Asian Daredevil, I really want Jeffrey Donovan as Daredevil. The dude needs work after Burn Notice ended, and he's awesome. Plus if you can somehow get Bruce Campbell as Foggy Nelson, and then Jessie in there as Ben Urich, it would be the best Daredevil show ever.

Also, I'm all for a black Spider-Man. Miles over in ultimate is one of the best Spider-Men in ages.

I wonder who has the film rights to Miles.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Thor 2 is pretty great you guys

Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgard take what would be a pretty good movie and kicks that shit up to 11.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I almost forgot Thor The Dark World comes out this weekend. Guess I better go see it...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'm going to see it Sunday. It's my 12th anniversary and my wife and I will be doing a dinner/Thor 2 anniversary this year. :p

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Foggy Nelson should clearly be Phillip Seymour Hoffman, even though there's not a chance in hell he'd do it.

Daredevil needs to be good-looking, athletic, have great range and be able to convince as an incredibly smart lawyer. Oh, and convincingly act blind.

Donovan doesn't really seem like he's top of the list for the last two items. Last three items.

I'd say Donovan has range, and the last two can come from a good script and coach.

A few episodes of BN had him playing characters within characters that were at odds with each other (hyperactive drug dealer, neurotic ex-con, unbalanced follower of a madman, abusive boss) all while flipping back to "Mike" after a few seconds.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgard take what would be a pretty good movie and kicks that shit up to 11.

This is very important:

Does Thor get hit by at least one car in the film?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Maybe Punisher can show up in DD's show. Murdock can be his lawyer :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

I wonder who has the film rights to Miles.

Doesn't Sony have all rights to everything Spider-man? Excluding the merchandise.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    They probably own Ultimate Spider-man, since Amazing Spider-man looked so much like it. Buuut. Would they own Miles as a character separate from the Spider-man identity by default? They're apparently getting Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Avengers 2, which is the loopiest of loopholes. So maybe Miles as not-Spider-man is a possibility.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    They probably own Ultimate Spider-man, since Amazing Spider-man looked so much like it. Buuut. Would they own Miles as a character separate from the Spider-man identity by default? They're apparently getting Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Avengers 2, which is the loopiest of loopholes. So maybe Miles as not-Spider-man is a possibility.

SW and QS's loophole is that they're tied to Avengers, Miles is connected to Ultimate Spider-man so I assume it wouldn't apply in this case. I might be wrong.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

This is very important:

Does Thor get hit by at least one car in the film?

He gets, like, knocked into cars

As far as "steps into road, gets run over," not that I recall

• Options
    I will say I'm kind of disappointed that Sif never appeared to even consider beating the tar out of Jane for fucking around with her man.

• Options
    I will say I'm kind of disappointed that Sif never appeared to even consider beating the tar out of Jane for fucking around with her man.

Sif isn't a barbarian. It'd also be counter productive to have a relationship with Thor if he ever changes his mind. Worst comes to worst she'll outlive the puny mortal then Thor will be her's.

• Options
    She's just playing the waiting game.

Asgardians live like 5000 years, right? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i imagine Sif took one look at Jane and thought 'Puny human, he'll split you in twain'. like its been said, she just needs to wait.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Eventually Odin will get bored of Thor being happy and he'll wipe Jane's memory and send her home.

I'm not joking, that literally happened in the comics.

• Options
    Iron Fist:

406px-Ifult.jpg

eric-johnson.jpg?d=600

Eric Johnson would be perfect in my mind.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Iron Fist:

406px-Ifult.jpg

eric-johnson.jpg?d=600

Eric Johnson would be perfect in my mind.

He'll always be Flash to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrQOWiFHz0g

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sorry, every time I see him I always flash back to the sucky seasons of Smallville.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Sorry, every time I see him I always flash back to the sucky seasons of Smallville.

He's become a decent actor. He has a great re-occurring role on Rookie Blue.

• Options
    you know, i was kidding when i suggested bring Ming the Merciless into the MCU.

• Options

He was only on season 1 which was awesome.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

He was only on season 1 which was awesome.

he reappeared later on, season 2 or 3 i think. though if i remember correctly it wasn't really him.

• Options
    Season 2...but it was a shapeshifter.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Eventually Odin will get bored of Thor being happy and he'll wipe Jane's memory and send her home.

This is probably what will happen: MOVIE SPOILERS I AM NOT KIDDING
    Because Loki is now the Allfather and he would totally do that.

EDIT: The only thing I really want from more Thor movies is continued superhero vs. utterly mundane situations. When they
    "why are there so many shoes here?" picked up the keys on that planet, then walked through the portal and got in the beat up station wagon I just lost it in the cinema. That was just amazing.

Avengers 2 needs to have them epically travelling to Asgard to summon Thor, and then instead having to goto an apartment in London to find him.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

EDIT: The only thing I really want from more Thor movies is continued superhero vs. utterly mundane situations. When they
    "why are there so many shoes here?" picked up the keys on that planet, then walked through the portal and got in the beat up station wagon I just lost it in the cinema. That was just amazing.

Avengers 2 needs to have them epically travelling to Asgard to summon Thor, and then instead having to goto an apartment in London to find him.

You know, one thing I would kinda like to see since I know it happened in the comics:
    Cap using the Hammer.
    Like Thor's incapacitated, and Thor summons it, but instead he directs it to Cap.

It doesn't need to be a whole fight, just a few swings, but I wanna see it happen.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Thor 2 was pretty great.

That is all. Go see it.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Thor 2 is everything a sequel should be; faithful to it's predecessor, fully fleshed out in it's own right, and opening doors for sequels and spin offs.

I really can't imagine how it could have been better.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Just got back from Thor 2 and it was a damn fine flick. I can't really think of anything I didn't enjoy about it or how I think they could improve it. Definitely a massive improvement over Thor 1 and another feather in Marvel's massive pimp hat.

I'm also having a ball comparing it to Man of Steel and how the strong headed God of Thunder is a more compassionate hero that actually cares about the collateral damage while Superman ended up being The Hulk in red and blue tights.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Isn't it extra racist to turn the white kung fu guy Chinese?

It would only be racist if there's literally all there is to his character. No one complains about the Asian martial artists in "Airbender," do they?

With that said, even if you ignored the "Mighty Whitey" undertones of Iron Fist's character, I seriously doubt that his origin story would translate well onto the big screen. Guy transports to mystical dimension and fights a dragon. Why not just bring back "Howard the Duck" while you're at it? Best case scenario, and it's a rehash of "Batman Begins."

I imagine that if they bring Iron Fist to the big screen, he'll just be a generic martial artist. At which point, why not just replace him with Shang Chi and be done with it?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Isn't it extra racist to turn the white kung fu guy Chinese?

It would only be racist if there's literally all there is to his character. No one complains about the Asian martial artists in "Airbender," do they?

With that said, even if you ignored the "Mighty Whitey" undertones of Iron Fist's character, I seriously doubt that his origin story would translate well onto the big screen. Guy transports to mystical dimension and fights a dragon. Why not just bring back "Howard the Duck" while you're at it? Best case scenario, and it's a rehash of "Batman Begins."

I imagine that if they bring Iron Fist to the big screen, he'll just be a generic martial artist. At which point, why not just replace him with Shang Chi and be done with it?

The correct conclusion to this line of thinking is that we obviously need a heist movie starring Shen Kuei, aka The Cat.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    They should bring in Amadeus Cho to the Hulk movies.

It's funny, because he's good at math.

Just for fun, here's Asian people as portrayed by Brett Rattner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJYP4QkYg9M

They're all evil, and then they die.

• Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    EDIT: The only thing I really want from more Thor movies is continued superhero vs. utterly mundane situations.

I totally agree with this. My favourite throwaway gag in Thor 2 was:
    Thor hanging up Mjolnir on the coat pegs

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Eh, Iron Fist is kind of a racism catch-22. Either they present the character as-is, in which case its a white guy going to an Asian martial arts dojo and somehow becoming better at martial arts than all the other Asian dudes who've trained there their whole lives, which is kind of racist, or they make him an Asian guy in which case the character becomes an overdone "Asian guy is good at martial arts" stereotype. Which is kind of racist.

• Options
    Is Noah Ringer available to play Iron Fist?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Eh, Iron Fist is kind of a racism catch-22. Either they present the character as-is, in which case its a white guy going to an Asian martial arts dojo and somehow becoming better at martial arts than all the other Asian dudes who've trained there their whole lives, which is kind of racist, or they make him an Asian guy in which case the character becomes an overdone "Asian guy is good at martial arts" stereotype. Which is kind of racist.

Is the white guy better at martial arts because he is white? No, he's better because he killed a dragon and stole its heart. Not racist.
    Is the Asian guy a martial artist because he's Asian? No, he trained because he was pissed off over the death of a loved one. Not racist.

Either way, Iron Fist sounds like one stupid character, but whatever. I thought Thor sounded stupid until I saw his biceps on the screen, too.

This discussion has been closed.