An[chat] Rome

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    rugby is a nonsense sport

i tried watching it once

it literally makes no sense

It makes perfect sense iff your drunk.

also, the word 'scrum' becomes super funny.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Haha sent "dealy" instead of "delay" in an email.

whoops.jpg

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Good god the which sport is best/which one sucks argument is awful

that's because you like the objectively worst sport of basketball

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Watching football is boring to me. American football is 15 seconds of movement 5 minutes of commercials and yawn.

I enjoy baseball. At the stadium is best then on the radio then TV. Because it just kind of has a good tempo on the radio.

But again one of [chat]'s revolving topics, "Baseball sucks har har." I am not sure how are talking about this when the season isn't even going on.

Basically, NERDS!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    baseball is awesome and if you disagree you are wrong the end

Televised baseball is less exciting than televised tennis.

Yeah, I said it.

gotta admit

the one time i went to a football game it was 'aight

still not sold on watching it on TV though

maybe a world cup final, watching the best of the best play can be fun

but ugh 90 minutes

The hardcore soccer fans hate the quality of play in the World Cup and drone on endlessly about how the only stuff worth watching is top-level club stuff.

As an American, woo nationalism, go World Cup, etc.

that would mostly be because they're ridiculously tribal about their local sides

• Options
    edited November 2013
    i think rugby is a fake game that only exists to keep guys with no necks from having too much pent up aggression

no rugby is real

cricket is the one we made up to fuck with you guys

Casual on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Everyone knows that the most exciting and civilized of all sports is mma

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Yeah, I said it.

gotta admit

but ugh 90 minutes

The hardcore soccer fans hate the quality of play in the World Cup and drone on endlessly about how the only stuff worth watching is top-level club stuff.

that would mostly be because they're ridiculously tribal about their local sides

Well they also play and practice together all year while national teams get a couple days every month or so

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Watching football is boring to me. American football is 15 seconds of movement 5 minutes of commercials and yawn.

I enjoy baseball. At the stadium is best then on the radio then TV. Because it just kind of has a good tempo on the radio.

But again one of [chat]'s revolving topics, "Baseball sucks har har." I am not sure how are talking about this when the season isn't even going on.

Basically, NERDS!

but but but

this complaint applies to baseball too!

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

Basically, NERDS!

but but but

Way less commercials.

Football is like a commercial after every pitch in how it is set up for TV. Baseball do to how the sport is can be 5 minutes to 30 minutes with no commercials and just the game going.

But still at this point I think this is just one of those NERDS! arguments.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

You literally can't dunk on someone in any other sport tho

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    It is interesting how 'privilege' has come to imply 'injustice'.

Which I guess is true in most cases? Like, as a white dude I am privileged in pretty much all my human interactions and mostly because people who are not white or are not dudes have to deal with Bullshit.

And I originally intended to say something like 'health does not recognize your unprivileged status, it just is' but couldn't find a way to word that in a manner that made it agnostic to healthcare because yeah doctors are humans and studies show that I'd get better and more comprehensive treatment even controlling for socioeconomic factors (though you wouldn't want to because, hey, intersectionalism).

So I guess the strongest statement that I can make is that the Tumblr person in question might be dealing with institutions that are sometimes guilty of pathologizing the Other and while her physician's diagnosis of high blood pressure might be an inaccurate one and that inaccuracy might be due to some bias against fat people BUT that one should generally take the advice of medical professionals and there is generally the option to get a second opinion. Making a Tumblr post ain't never resolved someone's prescription medication dilemma.

the bias isn't the... "wrong" kind of bias. Thin privilege? Less chance of cardiovascular problems, or risk of diabetes.

which is why a doctor would be more likely to think someone overweight's blood pressure might be worrying.

argh, fucking tumblr.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Yeah, I said it.

gotta admit

but ugh 90 minutes

Well they also play and practice together all year while national teams get a couple days every month or so

ehhhh

premier league suffers from the same problem as national football

you still have eleven millionaires who are paid too much to give a fuck and are just out for personal glory

in other words you still have a group of individuals rather than a team

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    i think rugby is a fake game that only exists to keep guys with no necks from having too much pent up aggression

no rugby is real

cricket is the one we made up to fuck you with you guys

Who would get the worst of it... a rugby player who suddenly had pads on and was getting hit like in the NFL, or an NFL player with no pads getting hit like they do in rugby?

Get a guy like JJ Watt I mean, since rugby is populated entirely with guys who could be tight ends and linebackers.

Do you think they would have as easy a time with it if they had a guy like Moreno bear down on them full blast?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    ugh, i just can't with folgers instant coffee anymore. especially without half and half.
    @dynagrip

why do you do this

what have i done to you

idgi

y u commit coffee sacrilege

i have kongsberg things. are those ok?

i dont know what that is i googled and only found the norweigan defense contractor

poo
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

the purpose of the game is to move the leather egg forward and also to maim as many people as possible

the catch is that you can only throw the leather egg backwards. and also no one wears any pads so gruesome injuries are super common.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

The best sport is professional full contact bass music

• Options

no rugby is real

Who would get the worst of it... a rugby player who suddenly had pads on and was getting hit like in the NFL, or an NFL player with no pads getting hit like they do in rugby?

Get a guy like JJ Watt I mean, since rugby is populated entirely with guys who could be tight ends and linebackers.

Do you think they would have as easy a time with it if they had a guy like Moreno bear down on them full blast?

none of this meant anything to me

all gibberish

• Options

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

Rugby folks grab each others balls and squeeze to get them to drop the ball. I have a feeling they could stand up to a football player.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    For being an ivy league sport, Lacrosse sure is fucking brutal.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

You literally can't dunk on someone in any other sport tho

hmm

this is a perspective i had not considered

*recalculates*

• Options

Basically, NERDS!

but but but

Way less commercials.

Football is like a commercial after every pitch in how it is set up for TV. Baseball do to how the sport is can be 5 minutes to 30 minutes with no commercials and just the game going.

well yeah I'm not taking this whole discussion too seriously

I just found it interesting. The commercials in football don't bother me since I typically sit down to watch a game 1 hour after it started and DVR through them.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    kill me kill me kill me

poo
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

no rugby is real

get ready for a broken fucking arm

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

Basically, NERDS!

but but but

Way less commercials.

I just found it interesting. The commercials in football don't bother me since I typically sit down to watch a game 1 hour after it started and DVR through them.

it is kinda sad you're forced to do that though

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Welp, officially rejected from the two graduate schemes I applied for so far. This is not encouraging. If I can't even get into the interview round, what chance do I actually have for landing a job? :(

Abloo. C'mon, future graduate degree. This is what you're for.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    one of our friends got mad at her boyfriend this weekend for not having more black friends.

it was really strange.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    ugh, i just can't with folgers instant coffee anymore. especially without half and half.
    @dynagrip

why do you do this

what have i done to you

idgi

y u commit coffee sacrilege

i have kongsberg things. are those ok?

i dont know what that is i googled and only found the norweigan defense contractor

they also have an oil and gas division and they make subsea cameras and stuff.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

Rugby folks grab each others balls and squeeze to get them to drop the ball. I have a feeling they could stand up to a football player.

I ...

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    It is interesting how 'privilege' has come to imply 'injustice'.

Which I guess is true in most cases? Like, as a white dude I am privileged in pretty much all my human interactions and mostly because people who are not white or are not dudes have to deal with Bullshit.

And I originally intended to say something like 'health does not recognize your unprivileged status, it just is' but couldn't find a way to word that in a manner that made it agnostic to healthcare because yeah doctors are humans and studies show that I'd get better and more comprehensive treatment even controlling for socioeconomic factors (though you wouldn't want to because, hey, intersectionalism).

So I guess the strongest statement that I can make is that the Tumblr person in question might be dealing with institutions that are sometimes guilty of pathologizing the Other and while her physician's diagnosis of high blood pressure might be an inaccurate one and that inaccuracy might be due to some bias against fat people BUT that one should generally take the advice of medical professionals and there is generally the option to get a second opinion. Making a Tumblr post ain't never resolved someone's prescription medication dilemma.

the bias isn't the... "wrong" kind of bias. Thin privilege? Less chance of cardiovascular problems, or risk of diabetes.

which is why a doctor would be more likely to think someone overweight's blood pressure might be worrying.

argh, fucking tumblr.

Well we can't know the whole situation, but I imagine that there is a nonzero amount of bullshit that fat people have to deal with that thin people don't, and that this bullshit does extend into medical practice. That doesn't speak to the veracity nor the efficacy of this Tumbling, but I don't think it's a controversial statement.

• Options

no rugby is real

I think an NFL linebacker throwing a tackle like they do, but without pads, would probably end up in the hospital himself.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

no rugby is real

get ready for a broken fucking arm

since i don't follow cricket it's pretty amazing i got the reference

• Options

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

You obviously haven't been in the middle of a dog pile.

Punches, kicks, nut shots, "checking the oil".

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

terrible terrible things happen in piles for fumbles in football. Also, rugby players are by far inferior athletes to the NFL. and they are too slow to play in the NFL.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    one of our friends got mad at her boyfriend this weekend for not having more black friends.

it was really strange.

i...

unless he has lines of black people coming up to him offering friendship and he's turning them away

this is possibly the dumbest thing to be mad about

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Is this true?

No WONDER I dislike football so much.

This seems like a stretch

DirecTV does these NFL Short Cut things where they clip a game down into 30 minutes by just splicing together actual play footage and even then they often end up skipping some plays to fit the 30 minute window. 11 minutes seems pretty off.

But they probably also show the parts where the players line up and what not. I assume this is only taking into account once each play actually starts.

No they pretty much show snap to tackle with maybe 1-2 seconds on either end so the viewer isn't totally disoriented.

After more thought and looking at more numbers the 11min seems pretty accurate.

So there may be something you aren't considering.

• Options

Basically, NERDS!

but but but

Way less commercials.

it is kinda sad you're forced to do that though

I shed no tears

• Options
    if by standup you mean have cleat marks on their faces when Adrian Peterson barrels over them, then yes. They could manage that.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I DVR the walking dead so I can similarly skip the 30 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute block

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    I honestly think rugby people would be caught off guard by nfl players just because of their speed. They aren't just 6'4 250 pound animals, they are fast as shit

I remember seeing some clip of an American tearing up rugby because he was just so much faster than everyone else

C8Ft8GE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.