Options

Reality is merely an [REDACTED], albeit a very [Spooky] one

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    chromdom wrote: »
    Harvestmen don't usually bother me, but I don't think I'd like a whole clump of them falling on my head.

Genuinely, thank you for saying this. Now I know not to watch that video.

There are falling clumps of spiders, but they don't fall on anyone, if that helps.

Calica on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Apparently pretty much any insect and spider with long spindly legs is termed a daddy long legs in whatever region the things live. It's used for harvestmen spiders, crane flies etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXyRVQN70U

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Actually, it does! At least for me

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    JUv8Dak.jpg

3fykCJZ.jpg

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    JUv8Dak.jpg

3fykCJZ.jpg

Mothman photobomb

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    This week seemed an apt time to ponder our nation’s political ghosts. We all know Abraham Lincoln haunts the White House along with Andrew Jackson and a host of first ladies, Woodrow Wilson is seen in a rocking chair at Blair House, and a great many ghosts are associated with the other federal government buildings in Washington. But one ghost is known to be seen in at least two places always heralding disaster for the nation.

It is the Phantom black cat. Seen in the basements of the White House, the mall and the Capitol, DC as it is called (short for Demon Cat) is reported to appear just before national disasters. When seen, it is sometimes reported to appear as a kitten, but as you get closer it grows into a menacing and angry tiger-like animal with red glowing eyes. It is only seen at night, and normally only by people that are alone. It made an appearance before the stock market crash of 1929, and again before the assassination of John F. Kennedy. At the White House, it is usually seen during times – such as now – when the presidency is moving to a new person.

The origin of the story may lie with the fact that the capitol was once infested with rats. The problem became so severe, that caretakers released a large number of cats in the building to control the rat population. Ever since, the black cat has made his appearance. Guards fear even talking about seeing the animal, mainly as it might cause them to lose their security clearance, but stories abound from retired federal employees.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Government contract senses tingling!

*boots up proton pack*

"Here kitty kitty..."

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    This week seemed an apt time to ponder our nation’s political ghosts. We all know Abraham Lincoln haunts the White House along with Andrew Jackson and a host of first ladies, Woodrow Wilson is seen in a rocking chair at Blair House, and a great many ghosts are associated with the other federal government buildings in Washington. But one ghost is known to be seen in at least two places always heralding disaster for the nation.

It is the Phantom black cat. Seen in the basements of the White House, the mall and the Capitol, DC as it is called (short for Demon Cat) is reported to appear just before national disasters. When seen, it is sometimes reported to appear as a kitten, but as you get closer it grows into a menacing and angry tiger-like animal with red glowing eyes. It is only seen at night, and normally only by people that are alone. It made an appearance before the stock market crash of 1929, and again before the assassination of John F. Kennedy. At the White House, it is usually seen during times – such as now – when the presidency is moving to a new person.

The origin of the story may lie with the fact that the capitol was once infested with rats. The problem became so severe, that caretakers released a large number of cats in the building to control the rat population. Ever since, the black cat has made his appearance. Guards fear even talking about seeing the animal, mainly as it might cause them to lose their security clearance, but stories abound from retired federal employees.

Does Ghost Lincoln kick Ghost Jackson in the balls? Like, all the time?

I really hope he does. That would be great.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Ok, this is not really spooky at all but I just wanted to share these great "alternate reality"-ish photos, and didn't find a better place for it:
    messynessychic.com/2015/10/01/the-real-life-hunger-games-city-is-a-decaying-parisian-utopia/

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Usually, ghostly black dogs are associated with ill omens. This is the first I've heard of a black cat being a portent of doom, at least a spectral cat anyway

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Ok, this is not really spooky at all but I just wanted to share these great "alternate reality"-ish photos, and didn't find a better place for it:
    messynessychic.com/2015/10/01/the-real-life-hunger-games-city-is-a-decaying-parisian-utopia/

I would live there in an instant!
    Usually, ghostly black dogs are associated with ill omens. This is the first I've heard of a black cat being a portent of doom, at least a spectral cat anyway

Really, stories about black cats boding ill have never crossed your path?

Cats in general are seen as at least half-supernatural on their own.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

Black cats are just bad luck, not doom portents like black dogs are.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Those windows are pretty big. That must be a giant cat.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

this absolutely belongs in the Architecture thread.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Those windows are pretty big. That must be a giant cat.

it's a doom cat! they only come in one size!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Why is this place largely uninhabited and crumbling? I'd love to live there.

• Options

It's the set of Brasil and Hunger Games! It must be either really expensive to live or the maintenance costs are high or something. That or the Parisians are a bunch of uncultured swine who don't recognize how awesome that place looks.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Paris, where even the squatters live in fabulously artistic crumbling architecture.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i can't decide what spooky movie i wanna watch on netflix. all the ones they added recently have really low stars...

• Options
    i can't decide what spooky movie i wanna watch on netflix. all the ones they added recently have really low stars...

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend Absentia.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    I quite enjoyed Pontypool. Thinking about rewatching it sometime soon.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

I have not, I think I'll give it a shot.

• Options

I'd skipped past it several times because of the shitty cover image, then decided to give it a watch after reading some interesting things and I ended up liking it quite a bit.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »

Black cats are just bad luck, not doom portents like black dogs are.

Let's be fair, black animals in general tend to be seen as portents of some vague measurements of doom.

Ravens, for example.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    jqh0M.png

qLk32.jpg

Lth9v.jpg

• Options

I'd skipped past it several times because of the shitty cover image, then decided to give it a watch after reading some interesting things and I ended up liking it quite a bit.

Aww. It's not available for streaming :(

• Options
    I just found out that there were sightings of a creature in Chernobyl shortly before the incident there that almost exactly match the Mothman sightings here in America, which have been alleged to occur before major disasters.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I just found out that there were sightings of a creature in Chernobyl shortly before the incident there that almost exactly match the Mothman sightings here in America, which have been alleged to occur before major disasters.

Sure there were.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    THE SPOOKY THREAD IS NOT THE PLACE FOR SKEPTICISM THE SCIENCE THREAD IS RIGHT OVER THERE

DON'T RAIN ON MY SPOOKY PARADE I KNOW THIS STUFF IS MADE UP JUST LET ME ROLL IN MY FILTH DAMN YOU

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Mothman denial is the first sign of being a Mothman.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You people . I live in adjectiveman territory. Mothmen, graymen, hookmen, you name it.

They dont portend disaster. Thats absurd.

they eat eyes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    What about Dogmen?

Edit: also I watched this movie on Netflix called Dark Was the Night. It's pretty decent for the most part! VERY well acted, good writing throughout. The ending is a bit of a let down but it's a good "small town terrorized by mysterious monster" type of deal.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    It's almost time for my annual binge-watching of horrible ghost hunting shows! Does anyone know if the original Ghost Hunters is up on any of the streaming sites? I remember it used to be on Netflix, but I think it was removed...

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    What about Dogmen?

Edit: also I watched this movie on Netflix called Dark Was the Night. It's pretty decent for the most part! VERY well acted, good writing throughout. The ending is a bit of a let down but it's a good "small town terrorized by mysterious monster" type of deal.

Oh those are mislabeled. Those are just dogs walking on their hind legs

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Yeah, there isn't much evidence for the existence of dogmen. Most people just let their imaginations take advantage of them when it's really just a common werewolf or jackal-man.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    It's almost time for my annual binge-watching of horrible ghost hunting shows! Does anyone know if the original Ghost Hunters is up on any of the streaming sites? I remember it used to be on Netflix, but I think it was removed...

ghost adventures is back on netflix as like a special collection i believe, some "best" episodes and a few like, clip shows i think?

but i think hulu just has seasons of it

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    What about Dogmen?

Like the Greater Dog?

Really, they're just ordinary dogs in full armor.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    What about Dogmen?

I believe they prefer the term Corgyn.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    What about Dogmen?

Like the Greater Dog?

Really, they're just ordinary dogs in full armor.
    Pfft! Whats so great about him anyway!

• Options
    v1aiSEu.jpg

This discussion has been closed.