Options

The Book of [Job Thread]

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I just got a phonecall

from my

NEW BOSS

While I'm excited for you, I'm also excited to see the inevitable red panda picture

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    GUYS I AM SO FUCKING HYPED

I WANT TO DROP A MIC AND WALK OUT OF THIS PLACE FLIPPING EVERYBODY DOUBLE BIRDS AND THEN FIREBOMB THE BUILDING

Exhibit A

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I just got a phonecall

from my

NEW BOSS

While I'm excited for you, I'm also excited to see the inevitable red panda picture

man I been waiting for that panda for a year

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    All hail pipe the Bonglord, long may he reign.

Had a surprise visit from two exec-VPs and some other assorted muckety-mucks yesterday. They were concerned that the building, which is in the middle of extensive construction, was dirty. Yup.

• Options
    guys seriously if you ever need someone to hook you up with a super sweet water pipe

well shit it's right there in my name and I only just realised

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Are you telling me that you can smoke water now?

• Options
    I can't fucking wait to walk out of this place. This has, by a really long margin, been the worst place I've ever worked.

This is gonna be me in two weeks

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Well got the call from the insurance place. No red panda for me. Starting to get sad that I have to go back to 7-eleven in 2 months when my mat leave is up. But this just cements that after 7 years as much as I love my regulars and most of my co-workers it's time for a change. I should be glad I get a year off.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So it looks like I'll be taking over the telemedicine stuff soon. That means when some fucker drops a 5000 dollar camera hooked to this computer, I get to drive to a prison in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and replace it.

Job security I guess?
    But the state is 'consolidating' all the IT jobs into one central department and the work placement employees (me) will be the first to go if they don't free up enough spots through people retiring. Dislike.

Also, did I post about my fun prison visit Monday?

So we (boss and I) had to drive to Homer, LA. This is not a town I knew existed. 4.5 hours each way. Whee.
    We get there and fix the issue within 10 minutes. Probably took a half hour all told with the searches and checkpoints etc. It's sort of funny how much shit a prison guard will give you for bringing a tool kit to fix a computer. I kinda may need that.
    ANYWAY, we leave and pick up lunch at Sonic and are on the road when there is a warning bing thing on the car. Low tire pressure. Lovely!
    Looks like it's at 10 psi and rapidly dropping. We get off the interstate and pull into a gas station just as the gauge reads 0 psi. Likely we won't be able to reinflate this thing.
    Go to take the tire off of the car and realize that the orderlies (inmates who are well behaved etc and are allowed to come to headquarters and do maintenance etc.) put the lug nuts on with an air wrench or something. My boss and I have to both try and get these fuckers off and then the tire iron starts bending! Boss walks to Lowe's and gets a lug wrench for us to use and we finally get the spare on the car. Looks like it is flat too. Luckily we are at a gas station! But the air machine doesn't work. Go across the street to another gas station and the air machine just eats our quarters. Fuck. Boss buys three cans of fix-a-flat and uses those to reinflate the donut because seriously screw everything at this point. We finally make it back to headquarters and I go home and continue on with my life and all. But yeah that turned into a 12-ish hour trip. None of us were super happy with that.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I just got a phonecall

from my

NEW BOSS

that panda is gonna be so high right now, maaaan

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    well

I still have a job

Earlier this morning the owner came by my desk, needed some help with his phone and using airprint, walked him through it, got a chance to talk about the tablet project and how important security is with company devices, especially after a territory guy had his company laptop stolen last year, blah blah. The very model of an enthusiastic and helpful IT guy (which I am, for mostly everyone in the company!)

After lunch

Had a sit down with Idiot Son and my boss, had a laundry list of issues he wanted to discuss
    - I never fixed the screen on his computer that I said I would (someone, not me, rearranged his computer at some point and plugged one of his two monitors into the stock monitor port instead of the dual monitor graphics card, causing an error message on boot that required him to hit the F1 key) I could do it myself, but that's why we have a computer guy
    - I'm not attentive to the needs of our outside sales team and won't run reports for them The whole point of having inside guys paired with outside guys is they help them AND what the fuck is the point of giving them remote access if they won't use it
    - One of the outside sales guys had an issue with his laptop, I looked it over, wasn't able to reproduce the issue, and told him if it came up again (random freezes, especially when running Chrome) to let me know and I'd take another look

But overall his tone was nothing like what he texted my boss last night or what he was talking about this morning.

Near as my boss can tell, he tried to go to his daddy to fire me and the owner said 'hell no'

So, I have some time, but this has been a wakeup call to more than a few people about what 'the future of the company' entails.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Actively trying to get someone fired.

Man.

What a piece of shit.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait. Those two posts together...

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Man.

What a piece of shit.

Had a coworker at a previous job who did that shit.
    I was an inside repair tech for construction lasers and GPS stuff, and he was the traveling sales guy.
    He would show up in the morning and forward the office phone to his cell phone.
    He'd tell the boss I never showed up for work and then the boss would call the office and sales dude would answer. (Boss worked at HQ in texas).
    Boss eventually called me on my cell and was like "dude why are you not showing up?" and I was pretty confused.
    I ended up leaving after sales guy was putting out unauthorized job postings for my job and interviewing people for the job and badmouthing me to the applicants? I dunno what the hell that was all about. I ended up calling the boss and told him if sales guy didn't stop defaming me I would have to get my lawyers involved. I got two free paychecks and didn't have to come back in. I had another job lined up so it all worked out pretty well

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    That reads like a horror story.

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    Dan. Dan.

Your resume. Cmon now. Let's do something here. You got mad skills. The BA role I was talking about is going to be filled (by me lololol sorry) but I am positive we could find SOMETHING.

Please please reach out when you're ready. Just letting you know I'm still here and want to help you out. BRO.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

Man.

What a piece of shit.

Had a coworker at a previous job who did that shit.
    I was an inside repair tech for construction lasers and GPS stuff, and he was the traveling sales guy.
    He would show up in the morning and forward the office phone to his cell phone.
    He'd tell the boss I never showed up for work and then the boss would call the office and sales dude would answer. (Boss worked at HQ in texas).
    Boss eventually called me on my cell and was like "dude why are you not showing up?" and I was pretty confused.
    I ended up leaving after sales guy was putting out unauthorized job postings for my job and interviewing people for the job and badmouthing me to the applicants? I dunno what the hell that was all about. I ended up calling the boss and told him if sales guy didn't stop defaming me I would have to get my lawyers involved. I got two free paychecks and didn't have to come back in. I had another job lined up so it all worked out pretty well

I would have a hard time not tackling someone that was actively trying to ruin me. It would go something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw_2GpSKoCA

• Options
    It was difficult not to get up in his face. I kept my cool and documented shit and came out better than he did, I think. Apparently after I left he got one of his friends my old job and then both of them left the company after demanding more money and being told no. I learned all this when ex-boss called me up and offered me my job back. I laughed pretty hard at him.

Apparently the 'stage a coup' thing was something that sales dude had done before AND THEY KEPT RE-HIRING HIM. Also something I didn't find out until after I left. F that place.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Working on the weekend to make deadline.

I'm not the only one here.

Executive in the corner office is pumping out Adele at 90db.

...because coming into the office on the weekend was apparently not pain enough.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    mully wrote: »
    Dan. Dan.

Your resume. Cmon now. Let's do something here. You got mad skills. The BA role I was talking about is going to be filled (by me lololol sorry) but I am positive we could find SOMETHING.

Please please reach out when you're ready. Just letting you know I'm still here and want to help you out. BRO.

WORD UP

I already did an informal interview with the business consultancy we work with that initially set us up with our ERP system and the president of the company said

"I think you have the right kind of mindset and skills and I think you'd be a great fit here"

But it has to be handled carefully since they don't want it to seem like they're poaching talent from clients. Thus the call with my boss to give it his blessing.

Most of my stuff is up on my linkedin page, I could probably add a few more projects in there.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Had to leave at nine hours today or suffer the wrath of Friday rush hour; not feeling to guilty about shirking that last hour of overtime since I apparently dropped into a gear unknown to myself or my bosses ...

9 hours.

170 cases.

That's gotta be some kind of record.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    a week of 12 hour days at a conference has left me a week behind, so there goes the weekend I guess.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Pirusu wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    The hell was he writing that took six hours?

"A report"

So...creepy fanfiction, I'm guessing.

That, or the latest installment on his novel, that he was sending to himself.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Sooooo...we just lost all of our SSO functions. This is a big problem because some of our software/tools don't allow you to use a manual log in. The reason we lost SSO functionality? Someone complained to the group (based in another state) that their promotions hadn't been updated in the system, so they're performing a database update, which disabled SSO for the duration.

Wheee~

• Options

Man.

What a piece of shit.

To add to this, what he said to my boss was

"He thinks he's got more power than me, I'll show him"

"He needs to be humbled"

I have never once tried to throw my weight around based on my position, ever. I may not have the greatest bedside manner when it comes to general 'helpdesk' type stuff but I'm not a dick to people either.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Messing around with Presto from Facebook today.

I am a magic man.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Fancy, you gonna make The Ultimate Recommendation

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @Abracadaniel‌

I know you don't want to give the impression that another company is poaching you...

But if you outright know that the product of nepotism is trying to get you fired, and that he has ALREADY GONE TO THE OWNER TO TRY, isn't that, like #1 sign that they aren't poaching you?

You likely will have your boss's blessing. At this point, you could probably get the owner's blessing. In fact, by the sounds of it you likely could get half the IT staff to walk out with you if you wanted to, but you care about the company too much to do that.

It is going to be better for the company in the long run if you leave. Everyone there knows that. It's time to bail.. and don't worry about appearances. After all, you aren't going to go back, and no one there can blacklist you.

Fly, you fool!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    On my end, I love having a boss that goes to bat for me.

1) New app to onboard! Due to the restructuring last year, a smaller app kind of fell through the cracks and didn't get support from us, ending up in the product being installed on a workstation at a shop. It's my job to onboard it. It's PostGRE SQL.. which means we can't leverage the databases. Sigh. We'll show these guys some love.

2) It looks pretty much official that I'm going to be on the Oracle IAM team. What's more, my boss is insisting that all 3 of us who were in the training from our Business Unit must be part of the team too. After all, if we are going to own this in the long run, we need everyone involved that we can. I'll likely be primary, or the one most involved, but we're all going to be here kicking its ass.

I also said good-bye to the head of my Business Unit today. While we didn't get to work much together due to my getting hired 2 weeks before he announced he was leaving, he said he'd already heard good things about me and that he was proud of me and excited for what I'd be doing there. He said all this right in front of the head of the Infrastructure Business Unit.. so.. Yeah. I'm so happy. :D Everyone keeps telling me to keep smiling, as we need a lot more of that post-merger. So that's the plan.

Me in a nutshell:

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Athenor wrote: »
    @Abracadaniel‌

I know you don't want to give the impression that another company is poaching you...

But if you outright know that the product of nepotism is trying to get you fired, and that he has ALREADY GONE TO THE OWNER TO TRY, isn't that, like #1 sign that they aren't poaching you?

You likely will have your boss's blessing. At this point, you could probably get the owner's blessing. In fact, by the sounds of it you likely could get half the IT staff to walk out with you if you wanted to, but you care about the company too much to do that.

It is going to be better for the company in the long run if you leave. Everyone there knows that. It's time to bail.. and don't worry about appearances. After all, you aren't going to go back, and no one there can blacklist you.

Fly, you fool!

Lmao at 'IT staff'

It's me. I'm IT.

WELCOME TO SMALL BUSINESS*

*(we did 3.3M last month in shipped sales)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Okay, so you could get all the IT staff to walk out with you.

Seriously. That business is aiming for a wake-up call if they are doing that much business and don't have a help desk.

Even if that help desk is 1 assistant trained by you.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Having made it through what I hope was executive's daughters danceclub remix-athon, I was enocuraged to hear the unmistakable first licks of energised electric guitar and power chords and....

...wait. No.

Oh God No...

...Nickelback.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Okay, so you could get all the IT staff to walk out with you.

Seriously. That business is aiming for a wake-up call if they are doing that much business and don't have a help desk.

Even if that help desk is 1 assistant trained by you.

pebble-500x298.jpg

"When you can take the flash drive containing the proprietary DNS protocols from my hand, then you will be ready."

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @evil_reaver : I'm an american living and working in New zealand. and same for the others I'l help if I can.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    God, hope I don't have to go in tomorrow

Sick of this project.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Nickelback.

Burn it all to the ground, piss on the ashes and then salt the ash-piss.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    So I think I just got two people I interviewed internship offers. Very nice way to start a weekend instead of looking at stupid flammability data.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    I'm not sure what I'm listening to now, but it has the distinct ring of an American Idol winner.

And everything sharp has been hidden away.

• Options
    I'm not sure what I'm listening to now, but it has the distinct ring of an American Idol winner.

As God is my witness, you can make a knife out of anything.

And if you possess the ability to make heat, then you possess the ability to make fire, so start burning all the things.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

See if you can find an online archive of The Annoying Music Show and blast it

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.