As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick and Morty] and Mr. Poopy Butthole

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
WPaOzyD.jpg

Rick and Morty is an American animated television program that debuted recently on Adult Swim. Why should you care?

- Its creators are Dan Harmon (creator of NBC's "Community") and Justin Roiland (voice of Lemongrab, the most fucked-up kid's show character ever, on "Adventure Time").
- It is primarily inspired by Doctor Who and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- It is some of the craziest shit on TV.

Here's the basic premise: Mad genius and barely-functioning alcoholic Rick Sanchez (voiced by Justin Roiland) drags his not-terribly-bright grandson Morty Smith (voiced by Justin Roiland) on wild and distressingly fucked-up sci-fi adventures while also indifferently making life more complicated for his daughter Beth, son-in-law Jerry, and granddaughter Summer (none of whom are voiced by Justin Roiland).

So far, Rick and Morty have traveled throughout alternate universes, explored the dreamscapes of math teacher and super-intelligent dog, escaped from the innards of a homeless man, outwitted aliens, avoided being sent to jail by giants, and Cronenberged the entire Earth. Want to watch their adventures yourself? Tune into Adult Swim Mondays at 10:30 PM for new episodes, or check Adult Swim's Youtube page the week a new episode airs to see it for free.

Hexmage-PA on

• Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    "I really Cronenberged the world up Morty, just a whole bunch of Cronenbergs walkin' around down there, huh?"
    So why do I get the feeling that Rick's been responsible for a string of dead Morties along the multiverse...

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    the pilot was a bit meh but the real season has really impressed me. I love meseeks and destroy and lawnmower dog. Hell, meseeks and destroy is already one of my favorite episodes of animated anything ever and this is coming from someone who loves futurama, sealab, archer, and the venture brothers.

on the last ep:
    It was a bit by the numbers for most of it, but the ending really redeemed rick potion #9. so fuckin dark.

valiance on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    this show has been gold since episode one. hilarious and yet so dark at the same time. honestly i'm almost a little scared to see where they go in the future, yet i can't imagine anything would make me stop watching. such a good show.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    This show is pure nightmare fuel at times.

I love it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I love Morty
    And I hope Morty loves me
    I want to wrap my arms around him
    And feel him inside me

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I love it.

at least the monsters in your nightmares will be well adjusted and happy with who/what they are.
    med_1389047122_00008.jpg

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

I love it.

at least the monsters in your nightmares will be well adjusted and happy with who/what they are.
    med_1389047122_00008.jpg

"Bitch."

• Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I love Morty
    And I hope Morty loves me
    I want to wrap my arms around him
    And feel him inside me
    Oh yeah, the Flu Rapper was voiced by Dan Harmon.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I like to imagine that Rick isn't really especially brilliant and just hops into a universe where things just happened to work out with whatever he tried whenever he really fucks something up.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    his daughter Beth, son-in-law Jerry, and granddaughter Summer (none of whom are voiced by Justin Roiland).

But the dad is voiced by Chris Parnell.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    his daughter Beth, son-in-law Jerry, and granddaughter Summer (none of whom are voiced by Justin Roiland).

It's so weird to go from watching this to watching Archer a few hours later and hearing him as Cyril.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This show is pretty great! I loved the one with the alien simulation thing. The bit at the end was great.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Re: Rick Potion #9
    Jesus that ending sequence with Morty burying his body looking at the world with that 1000 yard stare....if they have any modicum of continuity I'd say this is the episode where Morty slowly starts to break/crack. As to which direction they take it...dunno but I can't wait to find out. Such a good choice of song though. I had it on loop all evening.

"....everybody is so farrr away from me.....I'm just gone....I'm just gone...."

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    It was pretty fucking cool to hear Mazzy Star in a cartoon. :^:

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Hell yes, never heard about this band before, but man this song deserves to be posted.

http://youtu.be/LwVXkM_YxMg

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Great to see a thread for this - thought about bringing it up in the Community thread, but it deserves its own. Love it so far.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    there is nothing about the ending to the latest episode that wasn't perfect and also horrible
    and I've said it before but props on Rick for calling out a love potion for what it is, fiction never does this!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Rick is like the worst Genie ever.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Rick is like the worst Genie ever.

nah, rick is right on par

monkey's paw

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Was I the only one that jumped out of my seat startled when Rick's invention exploded?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    I have to admit it did kinda come outta nowhere...just when you think the episode's all wrapped up and about to end on a happy not-BAMOMGSPLOSION

• Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Was I the only one that jumped out of my seat startled when Rick's invention exploded?

that was a huge WTF? moment. even as they were talking, you're left trying to work out what had happened. did they travel back in time and fix things? does Rick have some kind of magic/sciencey reset button? then, no, as we're learning from this show the truth is always much more disturbing than anything you may have expected.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »

that was a huge WTF? moment. even as they were talking, you're left trying to work out what had happened. did they travel back in time and fix things? does Rick have some kind of magic/sciencey reset button? then, no, as we're learning from this show the truth is always much more disturbing than anything you may have expected.

For a split second I thought it exploded for comedic effect, like once the explosion cleared it would show them covered in black smoke as Rick sighs or something.
    But nope! This cartoon is special.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I noticed they were wearing clean, different clothes. Morty was not in his prom suit. Rick said he needed to do some "scouting". I thought it was pretty obvious what was going on. Still horrifying though.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm real glad you made this thread, Hex. It's a really good show, Hex. I think we're going to have a lot of *bwuuup* a lot of fun discussing this show, Hex.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Love is just a chemical reaction that nature produced to get two animals together to procreate and then it fades away slowly into a dysfunctional marriage. I did it. Your dad did it. Break the cycle Morty, rise above. Focus on science... *burp*

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I thought it would be time travel (there's a box labeled "time travel parts" in the garage), but then he said scouting and the picture showed split vertical slices, I guessed it was parallel dimensions. I thought they were going to get the answer from that dismension. I also thought they might just land their ship on them by mistake. Either way, i knew something was coming so i wasn't shocked by that jump scare. I was shocked by everything, don't get me wrong, just not jump scared.
    I'm real glad you made this thread, Hex. It's a really good show, Hex. I think we're going to have a lot of *bwuuup* a lot of fun discussing this show, Hex.
    I really appreciate you, Professor Snugglesworth.
    YOU LITTLE SON OF A BITCH! Y-Y- ARE YOU A SIMULATION?! ARE YOU A SIMULATION, YOU LITTLE SON OF A BITCH?!
    You're a good poster.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Another thing I like about this show is their little 'w' mouths.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Love is just a chemical reaction that nature produced to get two animals together to procreate and then it fades away slowly into a dysfunctional marriage. I did it. Your dad did it. Break the cycle Morty, rise above. Focus on science... *burp*

What can I say morty sometimes science is more art than science

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    My money is on Morty ultimately ending up like Rick. The show seems to be pretty fundamentally about abusive relationships, and the more you think about it the more you can get a picture of Rick turning out the way he is coming from a situation much like Morty's.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Winky wrote: »
    My money is on Morty ultimately ending up like Rick. The show seems to be pretty fundamentally about abusive relationships, and the more you think about it the more you can get a picture of Rick turning out the way he is coming from a situation much like Morty's.

My money's on a Rusty Venture future.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I never really cared for Chris Parnell on SNL, but I feel like he's found his calling doing voicework. He's great.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I never really cared for Chris Parnell on SNL, but I feel like he's found his calling doing voicework. He's great.

He was great on 30rock too.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

He was great on 30rock too.

and let's not forget Anchorman.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So.

Just to be clear.
    The pilot is about an old man sneaking his grandson off to have "adventures", that end with the old man putting seeds up the grandson's butt, and then lying to his parents about it.

Why, yes. I do believe this show has potential.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Been watching this.

There needs to be more of it.

Like, it'd be start to have the "Rick & Morty Channel"

Then, we'd be talkin'.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    So.

Just to be clear.
    The pilot is about an old man sneaking his grandson off to have "adventures", that end with the old man putting seeds up the grandson's butt, and then lying to his parents about it.

Why, yes. I do believe this show has potential.

it gets better/worse.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Welp. That episode linked in the OP has pretty much sold me on this show within the first few minutes. Disturbingly delicious.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Lawnmower Dog was good.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular

hopefully adult swim produces content at a fairly reasonable rate. I love venture bros to death but the time between seasons is to long

This discussion has been closed.