As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    I won't bore anyone with my sob story, but tickets were sold out before I got a chance to pick any up. There's no reliable way to still get a ticket, right?

• Options
    Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    I won't bore anyone with my sob story, but tickets were sold out before I got a chance to pick any up. There's no reliable way to still get a ticket, right?

If there were any people who PA can prove bought more than the allotted tickets, they will cancel their order and hold a resale. They did this last year and the pax twitter said they'd do it again this year. Outside of that, there is no other way to get tickets through official means.

• Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    japerry wrote: »
    BYOC Registration wasn't on the showclix site. When do we think BYOC Reggy will be up? Is there a BYOC thread yet?
    June 9th, according to the registration site.

Thanks, I was curious about that too. Any idea where we should be looking on June 9th?

7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Raptor007 wrote: »
    japerry wrote: »
    BYOC Registration wasn't on the showclix site. When do we think BYOC Reggy will be up? Is there a BYOC thread yet?
    June 9th, according to the registration site.

Thanks, I was curious about that too. Any idea where we should be looking on June 9th?
    Apparently it said the week of June 9th, not June 9th absolute. I would look here, and on the various pax-related twitters.

• Options
    skmanskman Registered User new member
    edited May 2014
    On the first post of this thread there's a reference to @Prime_BYOC..i'm assuming that's in reference to a twitter feed but it looks like someone is camping that twitter username. Do you know if there will be an official twitter for BYOC?

skman on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Relevant to the moment, I'm curious if BYOC badges will be available to those with "partial" badges, and if BYOC attendance will be limited to those days.

Or, put simply, I have a Monday badge right now. I want to BYOC all four days, and intend to buy PAX badges for Fri-Sun on the secondary market to accomplish this.

Can I do this? Or, who should I contact to find out?

EDIT: Shit, the belongs in the Prime forum. Whoops.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Relevant to the moment, I'm curious if BYOC badges will be available to those with "partial" badges, and if BYOC attendance will be limited to those days.

Or, put simply, I have a Monday badge right now. I want to BYOC all four days, and intend to buy PAX badges for Fri-Sun on the secondary market to accomplish this.

I have literally no idea. I would contact Robert on twitter, or potentially paxquestions@reedexpo.com

I'll try to find out tomorrow though

• Options
    edited May 2014

I have literally no idea. I would contact Robert on twitter, or potentially paxquestions@reedexpo.com

I'll try to find out tomorrow though

You da man, zerzhul. Obviously those might sell out before I get one too, just want to know if I have a chance.

EDIT: Tweeted to Khoo as well, I'll let you know if I get an answer.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    I think they're keeping it separate because that worked super well at PAX East. When it was in the same system, people would just add it for no reason because "I HAVE TO HAVE EVERYTHING." When it was separate, it took a little while to sell out, since people had to actually choose to go look for it. YMMV though

• Options
    I think they're keeping it separate because that worked super well at PAX East. When it was in the same system, people would just add it for no reason because "I HAVE TO HAVE EVERYTHING." When it was separate, it took a little while to sell out, since people had to actually choose to go look for it. YMMV though

That definitely makes sense. I really enjoyed it last year, wanted to do it again. I really wish they'd figure out a way to allow BYOC access without general con access (like, if you have Fri/Sun/Mon you could still BYOC on Sat). I know I suggested it last year, I just think it's totally doable, at least given last year's layout, as long as you're willing to assume that a BYOC attendee has no real reason to crash the PC Freeplay area (which is the only other thing really between those two escalators, which make great badge check points).

But I digress.

• Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Was upset at first when I heard PAX Prime passes were all sold out in one day but now thinking PAX Prime has become to big for its own good.

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular

You can definitely do this. As long as your BYOC pass is paired with an appropriate day pass, you'll have complete access to BYOC for that day.

• Options

You can definitely do this. As long as your BYOC pass is paired with an appropriate day pass, you'll have complete access to BYOC for that day.

Sweet. Tough part now is getting a Friday badge early enough to get my shit set up. ;)

• Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Wondering if I should start freaking out now or email paxquestions. I see the pending charge on my CC for the badges I got and I saw the page stating I got the passes for me and 3 other friends. But I have yet to get a confirmation email. Is this normal? I wondering if they are reviewing my purchase since I bought 4 sets of each day for me and my 3 friends?

• Options
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    Wondering if I should start freaking out now or email paxquestions. I see the pending charge on my CC for the badges I got and I saw the page stating I got the passes for me and 3 other friends. But I have yet to get a confirmation email. Is this normal? I wondering if they are reviewing my purchase since I bought 4 sets of each day for me and my 3 friends?

There's no issue with buying four total sets, so that shouldn't hold anything up. Silly question, but have you checked your junk/spam folder?

• Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Yep checked that. I got my confirmation email for the hotels just not for my badges. I was thinking perhaps I put my email in wrong since I was doing the checkout from my phone. Checked my showclix account from last year and no 2014 badges there.Called show clix to get my email confirmed, they said PAX would handle all of that. So I emailed paxquestions. I guess we shall see. Being that the amount for badges is pending on my credit card is at least comforting.

• Options
    You're probably fine, but I think you've taken the right steps.

• Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular

That definitely makes sense. I really enjoyed it last year, wanted to do it again. I really wish they'd figure out a way to allow BYOC access without general con access (like, if you have Fri/Sun/Mon you could still BYOC on Sat). I know I suggested it last year, I just think it's totally doable, at least given last year's layout, as long as you're willing to assume that a BYOC attendee has no real reason to crash the PC Freeplay area (which is the only other thing really between those two escalators, which make great badge check points).

But I digress.

I agree, it'd be great if BYOC access provided all 4 days to your computer, with the rest of PAX locked off by which days you have.

Also, I am glad BYOC has a separate registration -- attendance and availability both seem better when it's the people who really want to go that seek it out, rather than people impulsively buying it during main registration. But it does mean the PAX pass stress isn't quite over for me yet. :¬)

7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    The reason you can't do the BYOC thing without the day passes is the fire code problem. If they let you into an area that has general pax attendees, without a badge for that day, you're messing up the fire code numbers. To do that, they'd have to have BYOC in a 100% separate area from the rest of PAX.

• Options
    CrielCriel Registered User regular
    I apologize if there's a thread about this, but are there any good bars near the convention?

• Options
    Criel wrote: »
    I apologize if there's a thread about this, but are there any good bars near the convention?
    There are tons! there actually isn't a thread about this yet, but you should make one, since that will be a much longer discussion than this FAQ thread is intended for :)

• Options
    rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    Sorry but, I've heard a lot of people talking about reclaimed tickets going on sale - is there an announcement when that happens, or do we just need to stare at the Showclix link 24/7?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    They announced when the re-sale was live last year:

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    Thanks so much! I'm on vacation abroad right now and didn't fancy scrolling through twitter on my ipod.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So if I wanted to make myself a personal shirt, but maybe use artwork from gabe that's not available, whom should I email?

This is not something I would sell, just something I would personally wear during pax?

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Is the Omegathon still happening this year? When my boyfriend bought the tickets he didn't see the check box if you are interested like in the past.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    which is funny because I finally got my email back from Aimee at paxquestions, and she said
    "I believe the question was there, as many people did opt in to be chosen.
    I will send your email to the registration manager, to see if anything can be done.

Thank you,
    Aimee
    Customer Service"

But, honestly, I trust in the khoo, so I'll take his word for it.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the update- I just started following RKhoo on twitter today and not that active of an user

• Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    So, do we know when it is cheapest to buy airline tickets? I have never flown before, so I have no idea. Should I be getting them as soon as possible, or waiting for a specific time? I noticed that in the wait for badges to go sale, the prices rose a little over 10 dollars... hmm...

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    So, do we know when it is cheapest to buy airline tickets? I have never flown before, so I have no idea. Should I be getting them as soon as possible, or waiting for a specific time? I noticed that in the wait for badges to go sale, the prices rose a little over 10 dollars... hmm...

Generally speaking, around 60 days out. Keep an eye out for airline specific sales though (Sun Country has cheap 1 way flights from Minneapolis to Seattle for $109). I usually use yapta.com to find flights, set up tracking on said flights for cost changes, and monitor them for the best price before buying. At the moment, nothing can touch the Sun Country prices I'm seeing, so I'm going to be booking those later tonight or tomorrow.

Ninja edit: it might also be worth it to see if the west coast train trip is happening again. Link to last year's thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177751/the-7th-annual-west-coast-train-trip-looking-for-group/p1

Hingo on
    Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    CrielCriel Registered User regular
    I saw a thread by JadenSmith(sp?) about a Hookah lounge. Similar to that, are there any cigar shops near the convention? And to a lesser extent a smoke room/lounge to enjoy a nice, long cigar? :)

• Options
    zByrdzByrd Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Baroness this year which is about a 10 minute walk from the convention center. Unfortunately they charge $20 a day for parking and I'm on a budget as it is. So, I came up with the idea of finding free parking somewhere in the greater Seattle area and taking public transport to my hotel and the convention center. Does anyone know of any (relatively) safe places in Seattle where I could park for 4 days, bus into downtown, and come back on Monday to find my vehicle in the same condition I left it?

• Options
    I've done that the past couple of years, leaving my car in Capitol Hill (have to go east of Seattle U to find non-permit spots), Fremont and Lake City. The latter is further away, but it was at my brother's place right on Lake City Way, so it was just 1 bus with barely any walking involved.

• Options
    QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    i would like to find out if the PAXtrain will happen this year or not. its my first pax and i want to experience everything. i'd be willing to fly to the west coast and catch the train to seattle if i know it is going to happen well enough in advance, otherwise i am just going to go ahead and book my flight.

• Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    DustyStarr wrote: »

Generally speaking, around 60 days out. Keep an eye out for airline specific sales though (Sun Country has cheap 1 way flights from Minneapolis to Seattle for $109). I usually use yapta.com to find flights, set up tracking on said flights for cost changes, and monitor them for the best price before buying. At the moment, nothing can touch the Sun Country prices I'm seeing, so I'm going to be booking those later tonight or tomorrow.

Ninja edit: it might also be worth it to see if the west coast train trip is happening again. Link to last year's thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177751/the-7th-annual-west-coast-train-trip-looking-for-group/p1

Depending upon where you are, there may be airlines that don't show up on travel sites. Southwest is a pretty big airline that's fairly cheap... and doesn't show its prices on any travel site that I've ever seen. I'll be buying my tickets tonight for about $100 cheaper than I can find them anywhere else.
    (And about $20 more than a 22 hour train ride. It woulda been the same price if I was flying by myself so could fly in and out from different airports...)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    So what's the state of Uber in Seattle? Kind of used to some weirdness here (can't get Uber to come to LAX for instance and relatively long waits) but using it during GDC was a godsend since. Alternatively, are there any other good taxi solutions in the area which are app or GPS based, I know of Lyft but never have used them.

• Options
    jthom252 wrote: »
    So what's the state of Uber in Seattle? Kind of used to some weirdness here (can't get Uber to come to LAX for instance and relatively long waits) but using it during GDC was a godsend since. Alternatively, are there any other good taxi solutions in the area which are app or GPS based, I know of Lyft but never have used them.
    There were some comments about Uber in this thread about cabs: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189552/how-hard-is-it-to-catch-a-cab-during-pax

Personally, I thought Uber was fantastic in Seattle for PAX Prime last year, but I thought I had heard that there are additional restrictions in place now.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    jthom252 wrote: »
    There were some comments about Uber in this thread about cabs: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189552/how-hard-is-it-to-catch-a-cab-during-pax

Personally, I thought Uber was fantastic in Seattle for PAX Prime last year, but I thought I had heard that there are additional restrictions in place now.

Yes, Uber, Lyft, & any other "Ride share" company has been limited to 150 cars at one time in Seattle.
    Uber hasn't released any specific info for how many cars that eliminates, only saying hundreds of drivers will lose their jobs because of this limit.
    I have not used Uber since the limit, but I have used it several times before and find it much more enjoyable compared to a cab.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    Damn. I imagine with the limit that it'll probably get pretty rough during the convention then. Thanks for the link Zerzhul, looks like they have some decent info on the traditional cab services at least.