As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Terrorize and incinerate grunts and learn how to bait idiots near corners with canister traps. Also remember that the thermal shield does a lot of damage for anyone that tries to close the distance too much.

Scorch really shines in modes like Bounty Hunt where you can just liquefy entire drop sites and turn around and burn your core on anyone that decides to get too close. Main shortcomings are the fact that it's got gigantic critical points and that the lack of boost makes it painfully slow without losing DoT for the dash mod.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I really do think Coliseum would feel a bit better if there was at least a *bit* of terrain on the field, if it wants to be all Rocket Arena.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I like running Scorch with Boost and the extra thermal shield damage/duration. That thing even melts bounty Titans like butter, and the dash helps keep things in range.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Scorch is all about area denial. When closing in with Titan, you want to fire thermite canisters behind them, then at their feet so they get burned if they retreat. Same applies with the fire wall, use it to punish them for moving in a direction or prevent their allies from helping.

Grenade launcher is not actually terrible at long range, but avoid it where you can.

And then, once you've cut away their options, make them talk to the hand.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I cannot get a tune out of any Titan but the tone... I know this just means that I need more practice with other Titans, but it's tough when I can kick so much ass in that thing.

Someone tell me how I'm supposed to play The Scorch

I think part of the thing that I had to learn (and am still learning) is that just because you have your Titan available doesn't mean you need to call it right that second, as that has led to it being instantly annihilated if the other team had 3-4 Titans. I was playing Tone and Legion quite a bit but ended up going back to Ion. Tone is a bit overtuned at the moment based on how it deals damage and the particle wall shield, I feel like it lets you get away with making mistakes that would get you killed otherwise potentially. Once I found a groove with Ion there isn't really isn't any Titan I feel outclassed by. Use the shoulder laser to poke from a ridiculous distance, primary fire when that is down/ targets are otherwise engaged. Vortex Shield makes Tones and Legions very upset when I send their entire magazine back at them as damage. Same for Ronin just have to play really far back to stay out of their CQC range. Scorch, well unless I get cornered I am going to shoot it from so far away it really isn't an issue. Another well played Ion is probably the hardest thing for me to deal with as I can't send any damage back at them with my shield.

A long ramble, but I guess I'm really just stating the obvious. I had to stop playing every Titan similarly except for "hey they have a different weapon".

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I cannot get a tune out of any Titan but the tone... I know this just means that I need more practice with other Titans, but it's tough when I can kick so much ass in that thing.

I'm still working on Scorch, but I do like him a lot. The best players I've seen know how to use the arc of his main shot to their advantage, and it's really impressive to see happen. It reminds me of the original UT's secondary fire of the Flak Cannon, where it shot a single shell in an arc. If you got nasty with it, you could one shot anyone by jumping and firing at the right angle and watch it land right on your target's head.

But I digress. I only use Scorch in maps with CQC areas, as he gets torn up out in the open. It may be that I'm not good enough with him, though. Torch and Northstar are the two that I'm still struggling with. What I've been doing is playing as them, and then switching to my most comfortable Titan if the game start turning south. It gives my team a chance to win while also allowing me to try to figure out how to play them better.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »

I'm still working on Scorch, but I do like him a lot. The best players I've seen know how to use the arc of his main shot to their advantage, and it's really impressive to see happen. It reminds me of the original UT's secondary fire of the Flak Cannon, where it shot a single shell in an arc. If you got nasty with it, you could one shot anyone by jumping and firing at the right angle and watch it land right on your target's head.

But I digress. I only use Scorch in maps with CQC areas, as he gets torn up out in the open. It may be that I'm not good enough with him, though. Torch and Northstar are the two that I'm still struggling with. What I've been doing is playing as them, and then switching to my most comfortable Titan if the game start turning south. It gives my team a chance to win while also allowing me to try to figure out how to play them better.

That indoor Bounty Hunt level which is mostly roofed with the glass dome kinda things; that right there is Scorch heaven. You'll often find multiple enemy Titans grouped up together and you can melt them all deliciously.

I'd say right now Ion is definitely my main Titan, I've still not quite got his weapon-wide energy use down quite yet and often find myself trying to do things which are on cooldown due to low energy. I find it very hard to fight back if an enemy can put a lot of pressure on me, like a good Ronin. Perhaps I should try running the free Tripwire ability, hmmmm....

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Well I got a dozen matches in yesterday and a few more things clicked. Mostly playing the Angel City 24/7 playlist. Highlight reel moments include:

- Managed to bait the enemy with my near-doomed scorch and then kill an enemy Ronin, Scorch, and Pilot with my Nuke eject after they'd over committed. I had a fresh Scorch diving in before I'd landed from my eject.
    - Landed my first "Titanfall" kill... Dropped my Scorch in and squashed an enemy Ion. It was wounded, busy poking at a friendly Titan, and not paying attention to it's surroundings.
    - Finally clicked with the Ion. Dropped it in during the second wave of a bounty match and kept it running until the Victory. It was busted as shit by the end of the match, but it was still in good enough condition to blast the hell out of the enemy evac ship.

I think I'm happiest about the last point... I'm still having a little trouble killing enemy pilots with Ion, but against other Titans I think I've started to figure out the flow. That shoulder laser pokes for a shitload of damage. Landing crits on a Stryder chassis just makes them melt.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

My main problem with Northstar is that Ion's shoulder cannon works just as well as Northstar's snipe in a lot of cases and you don't give up the other benefits that Ion has (

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

My main problem with Northstar is that Ion's shoulder cannon works just as well as Northstar's snipe in a lot of cases and you don't give up the other benefits that Ion has (

Northstar can fire a lot more frequently and can hold onto his charge as long as he wants. It's probably my least favourite Titan to fight against in my Ion.

• Options
    OH! I forgot... that match where I clicked with the Ion finally.

I got to use my first Laser Core on an enemy Tone that'd dropped in and was facing the opposite direction. He hopped in, went after a friendly Ronin and got LAZOR'D TO DEATH from behind immediately!

Fun was had by all :winky:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    OH! I forgot... that match where I clicked with the Ion finally.

I got to use my first Laser Core on an enemy Tone that'd dropped in and was facing the opposite direction. He hopped in, went after a friendly Ronin and got LAZOR'D TO DEATH from behind immediately!

Fun was had by all :winky:
    Of all the core powers, Laser Core is by far the most fulfilling and the most fear inducing. Everyone runs for cover when they see that thing go off, friend or foe.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Turns out my fps doubles in windowed mode, and my mouse was set at a far lower dpi than it could

Suddenly my scores are significantly better and I don't feel like other people are inhuman machines

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    It's such a pity that they seem to have confused "make levels larger" with "this is improving the game".

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Training Ground had some pretty huge open spaces, but there were ziplines to move around faster as pilots and lots of LoS blockers

you could also eject into hidden alcoves near the top of the map and snipe from up there until a titan with cluster rockets finally puts an end to you

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    To the people that @ me requesting changes, sorry I was gone for a couple months on business. I'll add the updates in a day or so when I get home.

Otherwise what's the consensus from people that were disappointed with the beta like I was? Did any of you get it?

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    To the people that @ me requesting changes, sorry I was gone for a couple months on business. I'll add the updates in a day or so when I get home.

Otherwise what's the consensus from people that were disappointed with the beta like I was? Did any of you get it?

Played the beta and was meh... Wasn't worth the $80 price tag up here in the great white north.

My stepson convinced me to grab a copy on sale when it was $40 around black Friday and I've enjoyed it immensely since then. Super enjoyable.

I don't know what/how many changes they made since beta, but it's awesome.

Also Cloak is my jam.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I maintain the same complaints, the maps are poorly designed and the weapons are crazy good hip firing from extreme ranges

but the things they get right are super right

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    A lot of the maps have grown on me, even weird ones like Crash Site and Complex. I think the degree of difficulty is higher for seeing and hitting the optimal wallrunning routes, but once you do you can get around pretty quickly.

• Options
    I would like to see them have a 24/7 rotation each week like they have Angel City right now.

I'm still learning the maps and after playing a couple hours on that playlist I'm pretty comfortable with it. It'd go a long way to just be able to dive into a playlist and really lock down a new map each week.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I would like to see them have a 24/7 rotation each week like they have Angel City right now.

I'm still learning the maps and after playing a couple hours on that playlist I'm pretty comfortable with it. It'd go a long way to just be able to dive into a playlist and really lock down a new map each week.

I haven't played anything but AC24/7 since it came out because I've finally gotten a taste of what it's like to know where the hell I'm going and how to get and keep my boots off the ground while I get there and I don't want to go back.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've grown to dislike several of the maps and the part where there's no matchmaking for skill is really frustrating. They may not have the population for it but that doesn't mean it's not annoying! I keep getting paired with low level players and the enemy team keeps getting crazy elite people and it's rare that I feel that a match is good and balanced and tense anymore. The first week or so it was great but having not played for a few days I feel way behind and finding myself more frustrated than having fun. Close to level 50 but not sure if I'll bother honestly. With ranking up taking merits which are kinda tricky to get if you're getting DMR'd from across the map 3 seconds after you spawn.

Singleplayer was great but multiplayer needs some help. Too bad with the split I doubt it'll really get it.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/y_GCj5n1JI4

A random match where I did pretty alright. Mainly I uploaded it to capture the kamikaze sword rush/double nuclear eject kill that wins it at the end :) I may or may not have cackled wildly when that happened. Also the Mozambique pistol is Real Cool.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    For all who, like me, were despairing about skill:

Something clicked in the last 20 minutes and I went from last place every game to now second place and then first place the very next game.

It can happen to you too!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, god, I think I just found my favorite new loadout.

Softball/MGL/Amped Weapons.

GRENADES FOR DAYS.

Also, amazingly good feeling watching someone that killed you stand right where you shot a grenade and then dying from the explosion. REVENGE. Helps with the jumpy fuckers, too, since you're just filling the room with fireballs. Bonus fun on some of the Bounty Hunt maps like Homefront, where you can just run around and toss grenades into clumps of bounty troops and watch the fat stacks roll in.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    The mp of this game is fun enough, but makes me wish for a new Tribes game more than it does make me excited to play more of it.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    EPG/Lightning/Gravity Star and amped weapons

love energy balls, the bluer the better

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have been taking pictures of each time I come first in this game (on PS4) because I'm usually never good at first person shooters. I now have a tonne of Bounty Hunt pictures and a few Attrition pictures.

Turns out, unless I hit a groove, I still suck pretty badly at attrition.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    I have been taking pictures of each time I come first in this game (on PS4) because I'm usually never good at first person shooters. I now have a tonne of Bounty Hunt pictures and a few Attrition pictures.

Turns out, unless I hit a groove, I still suck pretty badly at attrition.

Attrition does feel really inconsistent. We had a team of four of us playing together late last night on PS4 and we had a couple of games of attrition on the crash site map. We went for the same flanking tactic both times but I swear the grunt spawns were different each time.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm think the minions spawn according to where the teams are spawning in attrition, so it's not always going to be the same places

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Boy do I miss the minion radar, I want to end a game with 50 minion kills because it was the only thing I focused on

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Boy do I miss the minion radar, I want to end a game with 50 minion kills because it was the only thing I focused on

Using that combined with a silenced smart pistol, and I would actively avoid any pilot engagements in Titanfall 1. "You guys have fun over there, I'll be over here essentially playing single player until I can drop my Chaingun wielding Ogre (with Cluster Missiles). THEN I will start hunting you down!"

Marek on
    XBL: Jason Marek
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    OFtChn7.jpg

I really love using Legion.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I think I just had my best game ever, scored more than the other team combined:

T2b6FCw.jpg

The Ronin's new ability to phase when the Titan is doomed is great. You can come out of phase and instantly Nuclear Eject so they don't see it coming. I didn't get the Titan this time but I finished him off with a pretty good Firestar throw.

https://youtu.be/NUqYm6_lVyU

http://imgur.com/DWIkN3j

Zenitram on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I like the part where I unload into a Pilot, four are 100% certain headshots, and they totally shrug that off and pull a 180* and kill me in two hipfired bullets without ever facing me.

Something tells me the killcam may not be particularly accurate.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sometimes the network just fucks with you

and it makes the whole experience a little fucked when you wonder if the people you shoot experience the same

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    First rule of having fun in fps: never ever watch killcams they will drive you insane

• Options
    I'm not sure if it's the netcode or my own connection (which is pretty solid), but occasionally it acts like my mouse is wigging out for a few seconds. Does anyone else get this?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    is your mouse wireless

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I think I just had my best game ever, scored more than the other team combined:

T2b6FCw.jpg

The Ronin's new ability to phase when the Titan is doomed is great. You can come out of phase and instantly Nuclear Eject so they don't see it coming. I didn't get the Titan this time but I finished him off with a pretty good Firestar throw.

https://youtu.be/NUqYm6_lVyU

http://imgur.com/DWIkN3j

The Ronin phase/nuclear thing caught me super off guard and killed me last night. There was nothing there and then suddenly KERPOW.