As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    ignore this post; my bad

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    when I shoot at a guy and they fall down I feel good, when I fall down without ever seeing the guy who shot me I feel like crap

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wonder what a higher TTK Titanfall would look like. Especially with how many non-traditional attack vectors there are.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Someone told me that to do a melee execution you need to hold melee? This feels harder to do with a stick than with the O/(xbox version) button.

Am I wrong with that though? Because using bumper jumper (and having yet to swap to Evolved) I've punched the shit outta a lot of guys from behind but I've yet to once have an execute animation as a pilot.

You have to hold it and be behind someone I'm pretty sure.

Also there is a way to remap but I guess it depends how much fuss you are prepared to put up with.

If you hit your PlayStation home button and go to settings, then head to accessibility then you should see an option called Button Assignments which takes you to an option to tick Enable Custom Button Assignment which then allows you to remap your buttons (i.e. you can change the punch button).

I think you can then toggle the new button assignment off and on with the Enable toggle.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I'm loving the Northstar titan. It took me a while with Ion to figure out that I'm just not good at close quarters and being in harm's way in a Titan. Like I would get my drop, seek out an enemy titan to try to mix it up, forget about my defensive abilities and just get wrecked. Northstar forces me to stay out of those situations and play the support sniper role. My main complaint is that some maps have large areas where the flight core ability is pretty much useless due to roofs and low ceilings.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Just my opinion, so it's only worth a few grains of salt:

KDR in games like this are highly overvalued and overrated. There are modes where you have to charge in like an idiot in order to prevent the other team from scoring anything, and deaths/kills don't do anything for the team scores (e.g., Bounty Hunt, Hardpoint, CTF, Titan vs Titan). I could care less about my KDR. I'm more excited about the Top 3 metric; I'm somewhere around 520/560 (Top-3/Games-Played respectively). To me, that speaks more volume than KDR. I have some Bounty Hunt games where I probably die 40 times and get 13 kills, but my score is 3,000+. That would put a 0.325 KDR, which makes me look terrible, but a damn good score. On the flip side, I've seen some people that had 40 kills and probably died maybe 13 times, but their score was 250. That gives them a KDR of 3.08, which makes them look damn good, but they did shit to help their team, so they actually kind of sucked.

Modes like Pilot vs Pilot make much more sense to show a KDR on, as that's the entire scoring system of the mode. I'd even argue that Attrition's KDR is a worthwhile statistic. Other games out there operate more like this, and KDR means a ton. In TF, this is just another stat to throw up on a dashboard, but means very little. It's like a pie chart showing how many people own cars to determine how much road work needs to be done. Owning doesn't equal usage, and usage is where the real value is here. Maybe not the greatest analogy, but I tried.

This was the biggest adjustment coming from playing a LOT of Destiny.

The more popular modes in that have scores that are tied pretty tightly to how you're doing with KDR (Control nets you pts per kill based on how many points you hold for example). A lower k/d usually means you've fed a lot of points to the enemy team.

My first few matches in Titanfall 2 I thought I'd played a respectable round and left with ~300 pts and crawled off to my shame box.

I played a match with Fleety and Hermano the other day where I netted top score overall, for the second time ever I think, and I don't think I killed more than a couple enemy pilots. Fleety and Hermano were engaged a lot more with the enemy team and I basically got to farm bounties all match.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Someone told me that to do a melee execution you need to hold melee? This feels harder to do with a stick than with the O/(xbox version) button.

Am I wrong with that though? Because using bumper jumper (and having yet to swap to Evolved) I've punched the shit outta a lot of guys from behind but I've yet to once have an execute animation as a pilot.

Also there is a way to remap but I guess it depends how much fuss you are prepared to put up with.

If you hit your PlayStation home button and go to settings, then head to accessibility then you should see an option called Button Assignments which takes you to an option to tick Enable Custom Button Assignment which then allows you to remap your buttons (i.e. you can change the punch button).

I think you can then toggle the new button assignment off and on with the Enable toggle.

Titanfall 2 doesn't let you swap L1 with L2 or R1 with R2, so I actually used that menu to do it manually. I've played to much destiny I can't help but try to shoot with R1 instead of R2.

Turns out a LOT of games used R2 to shoot, and have no vertical swap for shoulder buttons, so I think this is how my PS4 lives now. :biggrin:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I am having trouble understanding how my titan can do so little damage, and enemy titans can just melt me within half a second

I get that there are crit spots, but I know the titan I use doesn't have them on the back and one such melting situation happened from the Ion primary, not even the shoulder laser

Or tone just not giving a damn about the scorch shield and shooting through it with ease

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Okay so the patch added a new kit to ion . This gives her shotgun mode two additional orbs/laser pellets. This puts the dps through the goddamn roof at shot gun ranges so in that case he probably emptied his entire energy bar in you point blank. That will kill/doom a Titan from full health unless you are legion or scorch. And even they end up in the verge of death. Ion can and will kill you at any and all ranges .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder what a higher TTK Titanfall would look like. Especially with how many non-traditional attack vectors there are.
    It's already like, half second kill times. There's only so much you can compress that before it really starts to not really matter with human players.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Higher TTK would mean slower kills.

• Options
    I basically use either the Hemlok almost exclusively a the moment.

What's the merit to using anything from the LMG/launcher weapons types?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    the "push stick in for melee" always fucks me up, but I haven't remapped it because all the other buttons I would use for it already have logical uses

so many times I melee by accident. Its like I stun myself. And then I die

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    Higher TTK would mean slower kills.
    Brain fart.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Sort of like Tribes.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I am having trouble understanding how my titan can do so little damage, and enemy titans can just melt me within half a second

I get that there are crit spots, but I know the titan I use doesn't have them on the back and one such melting situation happened from the Ion primary, not even the shoulder laser

Or tone just not giving a damn about the scorch shield and shooting through it with ease

I've had a moment where a Ronin took a Ion "Special Beam Cannon!" to the face and proceed to execute me. And this was the longer duration beam. I know Ronin's blade was forged by Hanzo and blessed by Musashi so I'm going to chalk it up to lag. Also me being bad with face lasers.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

KDR in games like this are highly overvalued and overrated. There are modes where you have to charge in like an idiot in order to prevent the other team from scoring anything, and deaths/kills don't do anything for the team scores (e.g., Bounty Hunt, Hardpoint, CTF, Titan vs Titan). I could care less about my KDR. I'm more excited about the Top 3 metric; I'm somewhere around 520/560 (Top-3/Games-Played respectively). To me, that speaks more volume than KDR. I have some Bounty Hunt games where I probably die 40 times and get 13 kills, but my score is 3,000+. That would put a 0.325 KDR, which makes me look terrible, but a damn good score. On the flip side, I've seen some people that had 40 kills and probably died maybe 13 times, but their score was 250. That gives them a KDR of 3.08, which makes them look damn good, but they did shit to help their team, so they actually kind of sucked.

Modes like Pilot vs Pilot make much more sense to show a KDR on, as that's the entire scoring system of the mode. I'd even argue that Attrition's KDR is a worthwhile statistic. Other games out there operate more like this, and KDR means a ton. In TF, this is just another stat to throw up on a dashboard, but means very little. It's like a pie chart showing how many people own cars to determine how much road work needs to be done. Owning doesn't equal usage, and usage is where the real value is here. Maybe not the greatest analogy, but I tried.

The more popular modes in that have scores that are tied pretty tightly to how you're doing with KDR (Control nets you pts per kill based on how many points you hold for example). A lower k/d usually means you've fed a lot of points to the enemy team.

My first few matches in Titanfall 2 I thought I'd played a respectable round and left with ~300 pts and crawled off to my shame box.

I played a match with Fleety and Hermano the other day where I netted top score overall, for the second time ever I think, and I don't think I killed more than a couple enemy pilots. Fleety and Hermano were engaged a lot more with the enemy team and I basically got to farm bounties all match.

I generally work pretty slowly in every titanfall game and then get better as the game goes on. Part of it is being good at managing switching between killing titans and fighting pilots, but most of if is just from spending time in the game and knowing when it's time to look for pilots to kill, minions to kill, or deal poke at titans. All of this becomes easier once a teammate drops a titan. I was playing with a group of players who were both better at straight up fighting, but once I got a titan and had them distracting pilots I would go from last to first. It's all about knowing how to play the game at the time. That takes practice, but you don't need to be the best reflex fast aim guy to be good at this game. Just need to know when it's time to farm minions and when to watch for the hot spots pilots like to hide in.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

Titanfall 2 doesn't let you swap L1 with L2 or R1 with R2, so I actually used that menu to do it manually. I've played to much destiny I can't help but try to shoot with R1 instead of R2.

Turns out a LOT of games used R2 to shoot, and have no vertical swap for shoulder buttons, so I think this is how my PS4 lives now. :biggrin:

Fun fact, I didn't even know you could swap the shoulder/trigger buttons. I just assumed that everyone used the trigger like Our Lord Saladin intended.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options

I remember this game, because just before we queued up, you told us that you were rubbish at Bounty Hunt, and then processed to get a score of 2k+.

I will say that some games, the enemy team just seems very determined just to go for kills while avoiding the bounty targets. I remember one game where I racked up about 30+ kills, simply because the enemy team seemed to take an immediate dislike to my fabulously pink Titan and would not leave me alone despite my best efforts to run to different parts of the map.

Sidenote, I love picking really colourful paint schemes for my Titans; I can only imagine people feel really surprised looking down their sites, to then be chopped in half from behind, by a bright yellow Ronin with cute anime animals painted on the front.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options

I remember this game, because just before we queued up, you told us that you were rubbish at Bounty Hunt, and then processed to get a score of 2k+.

I will say that some games, the enemy team just seems very determined just to go for kills while avoiding the bounty targets. I remember one game where I racked up about 30+ kills, simply because the enemy team seemed to take an immediate dislike to my fabulously pink Titan and would not leave me alone despite my best efforts to run to different parts of the map.

Sidenote, I love picking really colourful paint schemes for my Titans; I can only imagine people feel really surprised looking down their sites, to then be chopped in half from behind, by a bright yellow Ronin with cute anime animals painted on the front.

Bounty Hunt is a fun game type, but I haven't mastered the strategy of the timing necessary to engage and be able to bank the bonus. The other oddity is that Bounty Hunt (at least for me) is the only format that actively creates a mood of frustration. Most of the other modes go out of their way to not focus on deaths (even on the score card) and minimize the sting of dying. Bounty Hunt makes dying potentially sting the most because nothing sucks like losing $200 to a guy that sniped you from so far away you didn't even realize he existed.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

Bounty Hunt is a fun game type, but I haven't mastered the strategy of the timing necessary to engage and be able to bank the bonus. The other oddity is that Bounty Hunt (at least for me) is the only format that actively creates a mood of frustration. Most of the other modes go out of their way to not focus on deaths (even on the score card) and minimize the sting of dying. Bounty Hunt makes dying potentially sting the most because nothing sucks like losing $200 to a guy that sniped you from so far away you didn't even realize he existed.

It is a gametype of high highs and low lows. The sting of having a huge bankroll cut in half two or three times trying to get to the bank is only matched by the elation of popping sonar, getting the jump on some enemy pilot camping the bank, and then watching a few hundred dollars worth of potential score become real in peace and quiet (and maybe leaving behind a pilot sentry on the way out).

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I find the blow is softened somewhat when you remember that if you're losing $200 then you've already scored $400 in kills this round, which is awesome by itself! You also spawn in a safe position with $200 left to bank still.

Personally I love the added tension holding onto a massive bank brings to the game. In all the other modes dying happens so frequently and you respawn so quickly that it's far from a big deal. That all changes when you're turning up at the bank machine with a few seconds left on the timer so you don't have enough time to recon it properly so you're spamming grenades, going full squirrel mode and aaagggghhhh!

Campy on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    This is also why last titan standing is a fun mode, you get one life and everyone is so slow to start you have to coordinate.

Unfortunately a lot of it is did you flank/get flanked and not getting tunnel vision

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I tried Bounty Hunt last night for the first time ever. I have no idea how that game mode works. I played three games and came in last overall all three times. (My team carried me to victory once, so at least I got the "win a multiplayer match" trophy.) I suspect there is some sort of "trick" to scoring, but I have no idea what it is. There were messages about the bank being open/closed occasionally, and I'm thinking that means something, but without context, I don't know what. There really should be a tutorial for these game modes.
    14am5372mydz.jpg

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    AI controlled mobs spawn in waves (alternating waves of foot soldiers and Titans), you score points by killing them. You also generate bonus points by killing them which you can deposit the bank between rounds. If you kill an enemy pilot you steal half their unbanked bonus, and if you are killed they steal half of your unbanked bonus. Try to learn where the mobs spawn and focus on killing them and staying alive to bank your bonus.

• Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    I tried Bounty Hunt last night for the first time ever. I have no idea how that game mode works. I played three games and came in last overall all three times. (My team carried me to victory once, so at least I got the "win a multiplayer match" trophy.) I suspect there is some sort of "trick" to scoring, but I have no idea what it is. There were messages about the bank being open/closed occasionally, and I'm thinking that means something, but without context, I don't know what. There really should be a tutorial for these game modes.
    14am5372mydz.jpg
    To avoid reposting a ton of stuff, you can just look at this comment: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/36484325/#Comment_36484325. It should explain the entire mode.

TL;DR Version: focus on bounties, as you get an auto-bank + bonus cash-on-hand which you can then take to the bank. Kills only steal half of current bonus, not the auto-bank.

• Options

Maybe I have a heavy thumb, but I keep performing executions when I don't want to, which leaves me open to getting slaughtered when all I want to do is melee.

• Options
    Bounty has 6 rounds; each round, there will be a bounty marked on your map. The bounties alternate between Grunts / Spectres and enemy Titans (round 1 is grunts, round 2 is a Titan, round 3 is more grunts, round 4 is 2 Titans, round 5 is grunts, round 6 is more Titans).

Whenever you kill something or damage the AI titan, you team's score goes up; you are also given cash, which you can then bank between bounty rounds at the marked spots.

If someone kills you, you lose half of the cash you have earned (and whoever kills you, gains it).

If you are new to Bounty, then I would say get familiar with the map itself (which basically comes from playing) and concentrate on the objectives more than anything else. Killing grunts and hurting the AI titans will fill your Titan meter up far quicker and contribute more score wise. Dealing with Enemy pilots / Titans isn't nearly as important (this is backed up by your score sheet if you look who came 2nd and 3rd on your team).

Don't worry about dying so much in Rounds 1 and 2, there's not all that much money to gain from the Bounties anyway and don't get disheartened if your team goes behind (even by 1-1.5k), because you can claw that back in later rounds when there is much more cash to get.

Even if other pilots kill you and take your bounty while you are killing bounties, you are still contributing to your team's score. Try hang out with others on your team, and over them in possible, whether that's watching their backs as they bank their own stuff, or killing enemy rodeo'ing pilots, or returning batteries.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Bounty hunt is indeed confusing as fuck at first.

When it's one of the grunt rounds, make sure you're moving around as much as possible. As with all Titanfall game modes, standing still is a good way to get killed. I tend to unload a clip into a pack of mooks and then jump away while reloading even if I didn't finish them all off. You can always return after you've moved about a little.

Cloaking Ability is a nice way to take the edge off the banking process, just make sure it's up for the end of the scoring round and pop it when you start making your way to the bank.

• Options

Yeah, I enjoyed that match immensely.

And I just want that purple Titan shader! I'm dreading how many times I'll have to regen to get it.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I started responding to this thread, but as I wrote more and more, I think I convinced myself that this MP is just not for me. Its confusing as hell, not explained well, and it sounds like I'm doing it completely wrong. Plus I have specific physical limitations that make low-TTK games extremely un-fun for me. Thanks for the help/advice.

26904.png
  • Options
    I started responding to this thread, but as I wrote more and more, I think I convinced myself that this MP is just not for me. Its confusing as hell, not explained well, and it sounds like I'm doing it completely wrong. Plus I have specific physical limitations that make low-TTK games extremely un-fun for me. Thanks for the help/advice.

If you don't like it, that's fair enough but I'd still recommend you give it a shot with other PA people.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I don't know if this helps, but games like this are heavily dependent on knowing (in this order) the maps, the modes, and the arsenal. If you don't know a map well, you're going to be terrible until you do. If you don't get the mode, you'll be frustrated as hell. If you don't understand the weapons you're using, it's like playing Mortal Kombat against a veteran when all you're doing is button mashing.

To me, level knowledge is my biggest flaw on a new game, and it makes me hate the map with extreme ire until I get how it flows. The maps are designed the way they are on purpose, so when you figure that part out, your game shoots up quickly.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCpODq77x6A

Man I wish I got this lucky when I go 1 v 3 in a Ronin.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I made a class with the mini rocket launcher primary and the shotgun pistol secondary and man it's fun. I feel like I'm probably less effective but fuck it I'm having a lot of fun.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Coliseum is still dumb, but this was pretty satisfying.

Kestrel1 on
    Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I hate coliseum. I have over 20 tickets and don't care one bit about them. I hate it more than Pilot vs Pilot. What's the point of playing Titanfall without Titans?!?! I want to jump into a massive death machine and cause havok!

...but that's just me.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    I hate coliseum. I have over 20 tickets and don't care one bit about them. I hate it more than Pilot vs Pilot. What's the point of playing Titanfall without Titans?!?! I want to jump into a massive death machine and cause havok!

...but that's just me.

I think I probably have 50+ coliseum tickets from Dewritos codes. I might have to eventually try it.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    after a bit of practice the alternator definitely feels better than the CAR for me. I think I'd take it every time unless I'm on a map where I absolutely know I'm going to need more medium range. sprint and shoot is crazy with it and it's great from the hip and with irons.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I cannot get a tune out of any Titan but the tone... I know this just means that I need more practice with other Titans, but it's tough when I can kick so much ass in that thing.

Someone tell me how I'm supposed to play The Scorch

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6