As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Al_wat wrote: »
    is your mouse wireless

No. I should clarify it's not just the mouse, my character also keeps reverting and sticking to the same general location. It only happens for about 10 seconds but it's annoying and I was wondering if it was my system/connection or the game.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Though I don't think it is particularly unbalanced, I really do wish nuclear ejection had more of a weakness. Require a certain level of down percentage or a longer counter on it before you actually eject or something.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Does Ronin still explode if it phases into another titan, or was that changed recently? Because a Ronin just phased into me, sticking me in place while they nuclear ejected

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Any idea on dealing with the garbage spawns this game likes to deal out? Momentum grinds to a halt when I spawn into the same grinder four times then have to try and slowly creep my way around the outer edge of the map.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Attrition seems to be "9/10 of your deaths are being shot in the back" but everything else is fine so far. Is it that bad in other game modes? I've only really noticed it in attrition, and also when I first started playing and had no map awareness yet.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Attrition seems to be "9/10 of your deaths are being shot in the back" but everything else is fine so far. Is it that bad in other game modes?
    You can cut down on that by keeping mobile. If you stick around in one place too long after shooting, players will find you thanks to the gunfire-detector thing, and since they know where you are but you don't know they're coming, they'll have an easier time getting the drop on you. If you stay mobile they won't have that advantage.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So, I finally played this game and really enjoyed the SP. But I hear the MP population isn't very good, and I don't have PS+ right now to try it out. Is the matchmaking that bad? Is it worth the 50 dollars for PS+ assuming I'll never use it for anything else?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Multiplayer population is only really a problem on PC as far as I know, on both consoles it's totally fine with Xbox One being slightly busier?

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah, population has been fine for me on Xbone.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So, I finally played this game and really enjoyed the SP. But I hear the MP population isn't very good, and I don't have PS+ right now to try it out. Is the matchmaking that bad? Is it worth the 50 dollars for PS+ assuming I'll never use it for anything else?

It takes about 10 seconds to find a game on ps4, there's enough people playing. I can't really answer your second question, as I don't know how much you'd play to get 50 dollars worth, but for me, this is one of the best multiplayer FPS games I've played.

Edit- you don't have to buy a full year of ps+ if you're not sure, you could always try a month or so and see if you like the MP?

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    For anyone in the EU considering picking this up it should be on sale for 48 hours from around noon tomorrow as part of the '12 Deals of Christmas' promo (according to a leaked list that's been accurate for the first six deals).

PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

The multiplayer population on the Playstation 4 is healthy enough that I haven't had to wait long to get into any game (Bounty, Attrition, Mixtape), except when Angel City got released and people who had pre-ordered the game got early access (and that was only really late at night UK time so I should have been in bed anyway).

In fact, I'm sure I've waited longer to get into Overwatch matches than I have Titanfall ones.

Honestly, the movement in this game is so well done, and it allows you to some incredible things. I don't think there is another game that does mobility so well, and it makes other games appear incredibly sluggish.

I guess if you wanted to justify the cost of PS+, then you could tell yourself that the money you saved on not needing to buy a season pass (that nearly all other games have), could be used to spend on PS+?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

The multiplayer population on the Playstation 4 is healthy enough that I haven't had to wait long to get into any game (Bounty, Attrition, Mixtape), except when Angel City got released and people who had pre-ordered the game got early access (and that was only really late at night UK time so I should have been in bed anyway).

In fact, I'm sure I've waited longer to get into Overwatch matches than I have Titanfall ones.

Honestly, the movement in this game is so well done, and it allows you to some incredible things. I don't think there is another game that does mobility so well, and it makes other games appear incredibly sluggish.

I guess if you wanted to justify the cost of PS+, then you could tell yourself that the money you saved on not needing to buy a season pass (that nearly all other games have), could be used to spend on PS+?

I agree. I think the thing that makes the MP so fun is the way the game consistently makes "moments". Like those "oh shit did you see that!" type of deals. While I don't necessarily have one every match I would imagine that at least one person in the match does. Dropping a Titan on another Titan or Pilot, getting a good flank off and using your Core and annihilating all the other team's Titans, chaining Rodeos to drop a Titan and save your teammate. There are soo many cool moments that happen within a match for people on a regular basis, and they are always entertaining.

Now of course there are occasions where you have off games or just get rolled like any other game. I find that the modes require a little more thought as to doing successfully in them than is immediately apparent. There is a strategy to Attrition more than just kill everything. There is definitely more strategy in Bounty Hunt in order to maximize your scoring potential etc. I feel like map knowledge is paramount so you know where to expect that guy to be shooting you from so that he doesn't shoot you from a mile away before you know he is there. For instance on Angel City with BH or Attrition I have started doing a very very wide flank at the beginning of a match and coming up around the other team as they start to (usually) set up in the same handful of spots/rooftops. This normally allows me to get a 2-3 good early quick kills towards getting a Titan right out the gate.

Also learning that you can't hang out in one spot for more than about 10 seconds or so (or less if you get a kill) because people beeline towards your shot indicator makes a huge difference.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Zenitram wrote: »
    The Ronin's new ability to phase when the Titan is doomed is great. You can come out of phase and instantly Nuclear Eject so they don't see it coming. I didn't get the Titan this time but I finished him off with a pretty good Firestar throw.
    Daaaaaamn... I'm going to have to try that out. It didn't seem good to me when I read it and my loadout works great already, so I never used it before. I think you've convinced me.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    the maps are poorly designed
    Is it that the maps are truly that terrible, or is it more that maps of this style (built for wall runs while still allowing titans to fight) isn't as special as it was in the first TF because it was new and now we're used to it?

There are some aspects of the maps that annoy me, but the one thing I despise is being spawned in the exact same terrible location 5 times in a row. "Hey there, player. You just spent time running all the way back to action from that annoying point I spawned you, just to get shot in the back when you're almost there? Let's try that again. 4th times the charm, champ!" ...Fuck you, respawn god.

• Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    Does Ronin still explode if it phases into another titan, or was that changed recently? Because a Ronin just phased into me, sticking me in place while they nuclear ejected

Can confirm.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

I play at weird times (usually mornings/early afternoon PST) when the populations in a lot of games are poor (IE: Destiny where's it's appallingly low), but Titanfall hasn't been a problem yet. I get a guy in-match with a slightly laggy connection once in a blue moon, but I've yet to have a problem finding a match with a decent ping.

Edit - Actually, @Knight_ I know you play a lot of HOTS from spending a lot of time in the HOTS thread until early this year... the wait times for matches are nothing near as long as those and the MP isn't near as tilty. You'll get some matches that are steamrolls because the teams are unbalanced, but those are minimal in my experience. Most games are pretty well balanced and wait times for me are never more than a minute or two.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    squall99x wrote: »

I agree. I think the thing that makes the MP so fun is the way the game consistently makes "moments". Like those "oh shit did you see that!" type of deals. While I don't necessarily have one every match I would imagine that at least one person in the match does. Dropping a Titan on another Titan or Pilot, getting a good flank off and using your Core and annihilating all the other team's Titans, chaining Rodeos to drop a Titan and save your teammate. There are soo many cool moments that happen within a match for people on a regular basis, and they are always entertaining.

Now of course there are occasions where you have off games or just get rolled like any other game. I find that the modes require a little more thought as to doing successfully in them than is immediately apparent. There is a strategy to Attrition more than just kill everything. There is definitely more strategy in Bounty Hunt in order to maximize your scoring potential etc. I feel like map knowledge is paramount so you know where to expect that guy to be shooting you from so that he doesn't shoot you from a mile away before you know he is there. For instance on Angel City with BH or Attrition I have started doing a very very wide flank at the beginning of a match and coming up around the other team as they start to (usually) set up in the same handful of spots/rooftops. This normally allows me to get a 2-3 good early quick kills towards getting a Titan right out the gate.

Also learning that you can't hang out in one spot for more than about 10 seconds or so (or less if you get a kill) because people beeline towards your shot indicator makes a huge difference.

More often than not, if I get murdered from behind or flanked, it's because I've lingered in one spot too long.

I've also found that I can be a lot more aggressive with rushing in this than a lot of other games. Stick to cover and stay mobile and you can get away with pushing into enemy positions really aggressively.

And if you get sniped, just remember where they were and take a new route to flank'n'gank them.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    If you kill another Pilot from a position they were unaware of, you should be moving and not staying in the same spot, because chances are, they are coming back to get you from a different angle (except for that one game where Hermano killed the same guy 4 times in the space of a minute, because he kept on taking the same route).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    I'm pretty new to Titanfall 2 and the PS4 as a whole. I have a couple questions about the game, as well as the game as it pertains to the PS4 ecosystem itself. I joined the Penny Arcade Community (I think); is that the same as a "network" I keep seeing alluded to? For example, I saw where Mike mentioned on Twitter yesterday morning that he was on Titanfall in the PA network if anyone wanted to hop in. Once you're a part of a network (community?), do you have to jump in that network when you boot up the game to play with PA folks? I don't really understand networks I guess on the playstation.

Also, I completed the single player campaign before trying multi, and I loved it. It didn't quite teach me everything I could do in multiplayer, like grappling hooks, etc. Is there anything you can do while rodeo-ing a Titan other than steal their battery? \

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Hate to say it, but I think I might be done with this game. Not that there's anything wrong with it... loved the single player, mostly enjoyed multiplayer, and have probably gotten 30+ hours out of the game between them, so I definitely feel I've gotten my money's worth. That said, I'm getting to the point in multiplayer where everyone is just better than me and I'm not having that much fun anymore. Mostly my own fault since I'm old and my reflexes are getting worse by the day, but it's just not fun getting repeatedly killed by people halfway across the map where I can't even see them. It's not a problem specific to Titanfall... this one held me much longer than most typical CoD type games, thanks to the movement and robot fun, but some of the same mechanics that make me terrible at CoD are here as well. I just have too many games to keep beating my head against a wall trying to get better at this one.

It's a great game though. I paid full price and it was worth every penny. If they ever release some good single player DLC I'll gladly come back to it. Have fun guys.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm pretty new to Titanfall 2 and the PS4 as a whole. I have a couple questions about the game, as well as the game as it pertains to the PS4 ecosystem itself. I joined the Penny Arcade Community (I think); is that the same as a "network" I keep seeing alluded to? For example, I saw where Mike mentioned on Twitter yesterday morning that he was on Titanfall in the PA network if anyone wanted to hop in. Once you're a part of a network (community?), do you have to jump in that network when you boot up the game to play with PA folks? I don't really understand networks I guess on the playstation.

Also, I completed the single player campaign before trying multi, and I loved it. It didn't quite teach me everything I could do in multiplayer, like grappling hooks, etc. Is there anything you can do while rodeo-ing a Titan other than steal their battery? \

The first time you rodeo a Titan, you'll steal their battery; after that, you just start doing (significant) damage to the Titan. That said, unless you have the perk that makes you quiet when boarding an enemy Titan (if you've just started, you won't have it), then anything other than a fresh Titan will kill you with its electric smoke. Even then it's relatively rare you'll get away.

With regards to Networks, there are 3, but I think most hang out in the one that is just [PA] Penny Arcade (especially after someone changed when the Happy Hour was).

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular

The first time you rodeo a Titan, you'll steal their battery; after that, you just start doing (significant) damage to the Titan. That said, unless you have the perk that makes you quiet when boarding an enemy Titan (if you've just started, you won't have it), then anything other than a fresh Titan will kill you with its electric smoke. Even then it's relatively rare you'll get away.

With regards to Networks, there are 3, but I think most hang out in the one that is just [PA] Penny Arcade (especially after someone changed when the Happy Hour was).

Cool, thanks. So, how does one hang out in the network? When I booted up the multiplayer last night (literally only played like 5 matches total), I was in something called The Advocate network? I kept getting pop-ups form random people in this network to join games. It was kind of annoying. I wasn't sure how to leave it, or what it was.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Networks are unique to Titanfall, there's a tab on the multiplayer menu where you can search and join them, and set which network is active. You can invite other network members to join you in matches. It's independent of any ps4 system level stuff.

• Options

Cool, thanks. So, how does one hang out in the network? When I booted up the multiplayer last night (literally only played like 5 matches total), I was in something called The Advocate network? I kept getting pop-ups form random people in this network to join games. It was kind of annoying. I wasn't sure how to leave it, or what it was.

The Advocate Network, [ADV], is the network that everyone gets put into at the start. It's got by far the biggest population because of it. Considering there is an option "invite Network" to make a group, I'm not entirely surprised you got a bunch of invites to join games.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm currently a member of about 7 networks with staggered Happy Hours. I get in my first match of the day in whichever network has a happy hour active and then switch back to PA.

Gotta get those double merits err day.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Hate to say it, but I think I might be done with this game. Not that there's anything wrong with it... loved the single player, mostly enjoyed multiplayer, and have probably gotten 30+ hours out of the game between them, so I definitely feel I've gotten my money's worth. That said, I'm getting to the point in multiplayer where everyone is just better than me and I'm not having that much fun anymore. Mostly my own fault since I'm old and my reflexes are getting worse by the day, but it's just not fun getting repeatedly killed by people halfway across the map where I can't even see them. It's not a problem specific to Titanfall... this one held me much longer than most typical CoD type games, thanks to the movement and robot fun, but some of the same mechanics that make me terrible at CoD are here as well. I just have too many games to keep beating my head against a wall trying to get better at this one.

It's a great game though. I paid full price and it was worth every penny. If they ever release some good single player DLC I'll gladly come back to it. Have fun guys.
    I feel you, man. That's part of the reason I only play Bounty Hunt. Those jerks can perch up high and rack up pilot kills as much they want. I'll keep working on bounties. I've definitely got my $60 worth. Forgot what the last stats were, but definitely over 100 hours of gameplay.

Take care, though. Dead Rising comes out soon.

• Options

The Advocate Network, [ADV], is the network that everyone gets put into at the start. It's got by far the biggest population because of it. Considering there is an option "invite Network" to make a group, I'm not entirely surprised you got a bunch of invites to join games.

Ok, wow, that explains a lot. Thanks to each of you for your responses. I was equating the Titanfall network stuff with some overarching PS4 stuff based on some stuff I either mis-read or otherwise misunderstood.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Does the grenade in the battery slot really do that much damage? I've found that pulling the battery does a good deal of damage, but those grenades just kind of poke the Titan. It's more effective than standard fire, but less effective than anti-Titan weapons. I could be very wrong. It's so easy to get shot off a Titan in TF2 that I go for the battery and that's it. Sometimes I'll yank a battery, toss it in a friendly, then go right back for another battery.

Speaking of batteries, I switched to the extra battery boost last night, and man does that make you popular with your team. A couple of times, I jumped out of my titan, hit the boost, put it in a friendly, then jumped back in my titan. It helped keep the team up during some crazy fights. The longer this game is being played by the masses, the more considerate teammates have become with batteries. There are still selfish bastards, but it seems like more and more people are helping the team and not just themselves. I likes thats a lots.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Does the grenade in the battery slot really do that much damage? I've found that pulling the battery does a good deal of damage, but those grenades just kind of poke the Titan. It's more effective than standard fire, but less effective than anti-Titan weapons. I could be very wrong. It's so easy to get shot off a Titan in TF2 that I go for the battery and that's it. Sometimes I'll yank a battery, toss it in a friendly, then go right back for another battery.

Speaking of batteries, I switched to the extra battery boost last night, and man does that make you popular with your team. A couple of times, I jumped out of my titan, hit the boost, put it in a friendly, then jumped back in my titan. It helped keep the team up during some crazy fights. The longer this game is being played by the masses, the more considerate teammates have become with batteries. There are still selfish bastards, but it seems like more and more people are helping the team and not just themselves. I likes thats a lots.

I'm selfish I guess :? I took the battery boost so that when I call my Titan I can pop the battery right before I get in and give myself the overshield. I find it has helped with the survivability of the Titan quite a bit. I routinely keep one Titan for probably 1/2 - 2/3 the match now and poke, poke, poke with Ion's shoulder cannon.

Edit- Just wanted to ask, how often have you been successful delivering a battery? I find when I do try the other player keeps on trucking / I get killed on the way there and now the other team has a battery off of my boost.

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    the maps are poorly designed
    Is it that the maps are truly that terrible, or is it more that maps of this style (built for wall runs while still allowing titans to fight) isn't as special as it was in the first TF because it was new and now we're used to it?

There are some aspects of the maps that annoy me, but the one thing I despise is being spawned in the exact same terrible location 5 times in a row. "Hey there, player. You just spent time running all the way back to action from that annoying point I spawned you, just to get shot in the back when you're almost there? Let's try that again. 4th times the charm, champ!" ...Fuck you, respawn god.

When playing Angel City there's a ton of wallrunning options all over the place. Even the places specifically for titans have some real neat pilot options too

the 2 maps have these weird vertical wall sections sticking out of fields that perplex me because there's no other wallrun options nearby unless you chain them together with bunny-hopping

and I don't play Titanfall so I could bind a macro to a key for maintaining momentum through weird hopping skids, I do it to run on walls

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options

I'm selfish I guess :? I took the battery boost so that when I call my Titan I can pop the battery right before I get in and give myself the overshield. I find it has helped with the survivability of the Titan quite a bit. I routinely keep one Titan for probably 1/2 - 2/3 the match now and poke, poke, poke with Ion's shoulder cannon.

Edit- Just wanted to ask, how often have you been successful delivering a battery? I find when I do try the other player keeps on trucking / I get killed on the way there and now the other team has a battery off of my boost.

Is there a way to call that you have/need a battery? I feel like there is but I don't know what it is.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I find that the modes require a little more thought as to doing successfully in them than is immediately apparent. There is a strategy to Attrition more than just kill everything. There is definitely more strategy in Bounty Hunt in order to maximize your scoring potential etc. I feel like map knowledge is paramount so you know where to expect that guy to be shooting you from so that he doesn't shoot you from a mile away before you know he is there.

The moment I went from "Ten pilot slots? What the hell do I need those for!?" to "Ten pilot slots is not nearly enough; I wish I could have thirty" was the moment I really think I "got" per-map, per-mode strategy in Titanfall 2.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

Is there a way to call that you have/need a battery? I feel like there is but I don't know what it is.

You can call that you have a battery when you're holding one and there's a Titan near by (should be a prompt on screen to press square).

Nothing to say that you need a battery. Generally if there's a friendly riding my titan and there's a battery on the ground I'll keep tilting my titan towards it and shooting it until they get the message.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Pulling enemy batteries and installing friendly batteries is also by far the fastest way to charge your own Titan

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I do wonder if there's room for more titan chassis. Maybe a utility one?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I've run into a surprising number of people who not at batteries for me to take it while we are both in titans

I also have a habit of hopping out of my titan to grab batteries for other players if we are not actively in combat

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that not using your battery boost on others makes you selfish. If you see someone yank a battery out of a friendly and the friendly kills the pilot, then you go over and take the battery for yourself... I'd consider that selfish. Use your boost for whatever reason. I use it 90% for myself, but sometimes we're in a position where I can hop out, use the boost to give it to a friendly, then jump back in mine. Doesn't happen too often, but is awesome when it does.

Early on, it seemed like everyone ran away from you. Now that most seem familiar enough with the game, 3 out of 4 calls that I make end with a titan turning around and running back to me so I can give it to them.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I do wonder if there's room for more titan chassis. Maybe a utility one?
    OOOOO, like a healing class titan? I'd love the shit out of that. Hawken had one and it was my favorite by a long shot. I am a big fan of playing a healer class anything. It's a ton of pressure to be a healer, but it's constant, it's fast, and it's a ton of fun.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    I was in a game and saw a battery all on its own. Instead of picking it up I thought I'd wait for something else to turn up.

Sure enough an enemy Titan turned up, walked right up to it and the pilot came out to pick it up.

So I shot him, killed the auto pilot Titan and ran off with the battery.

I felt far too proud of myself.

PSN Fleety2009