EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Classic Nagash for comparison:

KMQQFdH.jpg

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    phil fish actually summed up a lot of my feelings this morning fairly well

philfishmeltdown2.jpg

games aren't any different than anything else, Phil Fish just made the poor decision of engaging with random idiots

you'll find people spewing verbal diarrhea on every subject imaginable on the internet

I bet you if I looked for five minutes I could find the textual equivalent of a prolapsed anus re: RECENT POPULAR MOVIE

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Like I use to be one of those people who, when a story like that would come up would join in the chorus of screaming CHEATING WHORE!

Now though, when it happens and it is clear the person being cheated on is just perpetuating it I wonder if the cheating party was not at least partly justified.

Yeah this is pretty much exactly it for me

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    God one of the funniest things Cass would do before we moved in together was to call me up on the phone in a quivering, scared voice to tell me her cat was staring at her

"Aaron? Help!"

"Hey, what's going on?"

"I'm being stalked..."

"By who?!"

"An enormous baby!"

It was entertaining every time to play along but I find we don't make the joke much anymore since Wrigley's not an especially menacing baby

is that

is that funny

or really disconcerting

hmmmmmmmm

Scheck.

You are being stalked by an enormous baby.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Like I use to be one of those people who, when a story like that would come up would join in the chorus of screaming CHEATING WHORE!

Now though, when it happens and it is clear the person being cheated on is just perpetuating it I wonder if the cheating party was not at least partly justified.

seems irrelevant, at least to everyone but the two of them

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think the cast knew about all the twists in the last third of the show when they started, so
    Ward's personality vacuum is less a matter of diabolical planning than the character being kinda boring.

Could be wrong, though. I think if you're going to slow burn you need to make all the weekly stuff that's happening pick up the slack and be top-notch, and I think AoS failed in that regard for two thirds of its run. It's nowhere near as shaky as, say, the first couple of seasons of TNG or the first season of B5.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Agents of SHIELD picks up immensely in the last third of the series, but it is frequently iffy before that. You can see the season long arc once it's all done and understand why some things had to be kept entirely under wraps, but it doesn't make some of the boring episodes any more palatable.

It ends up being a really good show, but it was a bit of a rocky road getting there. By the end the characters are almost all interesting and have shown some range, but up until about halfway through the show I wouldn't have cared much if everyone bar Coulson and May was thrown into a wood chipper.

That sounds like a big investment to get to the quality.

I can see where Bogart is coming from but I disagree with his assessment. I enjoyed the early parts of Agents much more than the general population. It is a slow burner but it is deliberately a slow burner and there is lots of little details going on. They made full use of the extended televisual format to tell a long form story and play with audience expectations. For example, one character in particular, Ward, is considered an incredibly boring personality vacuum. Over the first few epsiodes there was massive levels of complaints about how boring he was, and then there's an episode about Ward and how the rest of the team think he's and incredibly boring personality vacuum.

That's clever. That's good.

And the thematic development of the season is a delight, it is beautifully paced.

Most of what bothered me when I tried to watch it was that something felt so hokey and I dunno, twee? Like Skye's character in general and the dumb joke that the two scientist interns names are Fitz and Simmons

I feel like even if the show in general gets good the pace of the show wasn't really my issue with it so much as it just seemed way too different in tone than what I expected or wanted

• Options
    I'm thinking that if I am not very interested in playing any particular game during my vacation then I should try to build some simple game instead.

• Options
    I liked Bill Paxton in Agents of Shield.

He didn't so much chew the scenery as open his gaping maw to reveal an industrial wood chipper.

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    I'm thinking that if I am not very interested in playing any particular game during my vacation then I should try to build some simple game instead.

you can't invent treeball i already invented it and am world champion

• Options

you can't invent treeball i already invented it and am world champion

Welp. Shutting it down.

• Options
    also invented drunk treeball but a full game has never been completed so i don't know who is world champion of that

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    phil fish actually summed up a lot of my feelings this morning fairly well

philfishmeltdown2.jpg

is he mad about anything in particular or just kind of firehosing his spleen everywhere

I think more critical thinking about videogames is a good thing, but this sort of thing is not that and moreover strikes me as crass

• Options
    Ball-Less Manboobs is the name of my next band.

• Options
    phil fish is definitely crass

but all that was in response to the quinn stuff posted above

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Morn'! It's not Monday anymore, but I'm sad to report Tuesday's not any better.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

It's Monday in my heart.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

play the game

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    phil fish is generically mad atm, afaik

in another age his secretary would apologetically tell the press that Mr. Fish has had a nervous breakdown and has gone for a retreat, but this is the age of twitter so one gets to disintegrate in public

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Witless Manchildren is the next impossibly good looking British actor who will take the world by storm.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's raining and there are lots of German flags. I'm not sure why there has been a post World Cup outburst of flags.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I don't think the cast knew about all the twists in the last third of the show when they started, so
    Ward's personality vacuum is less a matter of diabolical planning than the character being kinda boring.

Could be wrong, though. I think if you're going to slow burn you need to make all the weekly stuff that's happening pick up the slack and be top-notch, and I think AoS failed in that regard for two thirds of its run. It's nowhere near as shaky as, say, the first couple of seasons of TNG or the first season of B5.

I'm four episodes in and it seems like perfectly watchable episodic television

there's certainly a lot of formula. we learn a bit of backstory about a character and then within five minutes that bit of backstory becomes crucial to the plot. a couple of people have a conflict, and then at the end of the show, they sit in the car and exchange banter that shows they have resolved the conflict. sometimes there is a little sting in the tail to hint at something ominous for later.

but the plots are reasonably clever sci-fi twists on action show/secret agent standards and the actors are getting to show a bit more of their range.

people were talking like this was the antichrist and really it's just kind of old-fashioned at first. in 1999 this would have been riveting television. if it gets better, I'm sure I'll be quite satisfied.

• Options
    I kind of want to watch Fringe again. I got a third into season three and then I just stopped watching it.

• Options

play the game

Which one?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    people were talking like this was the antichrist and really it's just kind of old-fashioned at first. in 1999 this would have been riveting television. if it gets better, I'm sure I'll be quite satisfied.

WOW WOOP DE DOO LOOK AT MR JACOB DROPPING CLASSIC AGE OF TELEVISION REFERENCES

GUESS WE ARENT ALL OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE BEEN BORN IN 1999 U FAK

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Oh? Sharlto Copley will play Christian Walker in Powers? That's certainly interesting.

• Options

play the game

Which one?

u no the one bby

no but srsly wat consolez and gam do u hav

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Are you off to Lon-Don again, japan? You seem to have started commuting there. From Birmingham. Which is a bold strategy.

@Mojo_Jojo

Nah, back in.brum today

I just work for a company that blithely assumes everything has to happen in London

I went to a.meeting last week (in London) where none of the attendees were based anywhere south of Birmingham. Couldn't get a meeting room, apparently, so instead shipped six people to the other end of the country

I do have to be back in London for 9am in a couple of weeks, and I bet they make me get the six am train, the shits.

• Options

It's raining and there are lots of German flags. I'm not sure why there has been a post World Cup outburst of flags.

We never took them down, I think.

• Options

did germany win

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    My expectations for Agent Carter are unreasonably high.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

WOW WOOP DE DOO LOOK AT MR JACOB DROPPING CLASSIC AGE OF TELEVISION REFERENCES

GUESS WE ARENT ALL OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE BEEN BORN IN 1999 U FAK

that is inappropriate language, or "flaming," I am contacting the CompuServe administrator

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Maybe they just stand out more clearly against the dreary rain.

• Options
    Also I have actually, after a long series of delays, started to catch up with The Honourable Woman on the iPlayer. I think I have to watch the entire series in the next ten days before it disappears. It's pretty great, and Maggie Gyllenhall's English accent is very good indeed.

• Options
    Honestly, this is like Welsh tier rain.

• Options
    My expectations for Agent Carter are unreasonably high.

I'm expecting at least five scenes where they go "we invented this incredibly high-tech gadget" and then they pull out a fridge-sized version of something already seen in Agents of SHIELD that fits in your palm.

• Options

play the game

Which one?

u no the one bby

no but srsly wat consolez and gam do u hav

No console. Lots of games on Steam.

• Options
    Honestly, this is like Welsh tier rain.

Germany, on average, has more rain over the year than Britain.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    you know what's awesome after you lose a couple of games in a row and want to get into the next one

is for the matchmaking service to suddenly stop working

it's just perfect

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    my doctor and my chemist are far away from eachother

i wish there was a way i could send my chemist my prescription so it's ready on the way home, rather than having to drop in and wait

This discussion has been closed.