As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video games must be destroyed with a Giant Bomb.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Chris Remo of Idle Thumbs pronounces Kojima "KOjima" instead of "KoJIma" and it drives me insane

If it makes you feel any better those are both wrong.
    It's actually pronounced "Throatwarbler Mangrove"

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just got to the bit in the video where drew got ocelot down really far.

and then got shot because drew keeps running up too close to ocelot.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    i felt bad every time I couldn't clear a level in Mark of the Ninja without killing people

I mean I'd go back later and do some real Sick Nasty shit to those guards, but I liked the challenge of a kill-less run

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    I never got around to picking up Tales of Xillia, should I play that first before diving into Tales of Xillia 2?

@Aretè

Do not play Xillia 2 without playing Xillia 1

first of all its great, second of all 2 doesn't explain ANYTHING about what's going on or where you are

It expects you to know

Ah ok. Thanks sir, I should pick it up then. Been itching for a Tales game.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Pokegon?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I never got around to picking up Tales of Xillia, should I play that first before diving into Tales of Xillia 2?

@Aretè

Do not play Xillia 2 without playing Xillia 1

first of all its great, second of all 2 doesn't explain ANYTHING about what's going on or where you are

It expects you to know

Ah ok. Thanks sir, I should pick it up then. Been itching for a Tales game.

It's probably my second favorite one ever after Vesperia

Its a great game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Pokegon?

Porygon

signature.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Pokegon?

Porygon

yeah they really fucked up by not calling that feature porygon

edit: well except for the fact it kinda sounds like someone making fun of an Asian person's accent

Huntera on
  • Options
    Pokegon?

Porygon

9) I was 26 before I realized Porygon was Polygon with a racist accent

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Pokegon?

Porygon

That one's not so bad, because the first syllable is pronounced differently than you would expect a racist caricature to be used.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    solid as in, the third dimension

Yes this

In addition to the obvious solid snake reference it refers to the use of solid 3d polygonal objects instead of flat 2d sprites

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Pokegon?

Porygon

edit: well except for the fact it kinda sounds like someone making fun of an Asian person's accent

I did not realize this when I posted it, for the record.

signature.png

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pokegon?

Porygon

Not a racist accent so much as a literal transliteration of ポリゴン which is the Japanese word for polygon.

Like, it's not being racist to ask for orenji jyuusu in Japan because that is their actual word for orange juice.

• Options
    Pokegon?

Porygon

Not a racist accent so much as a literal transliteration of ポリゴン which is the Japanese word for polygon.

Like, it's not being racist to ask for orenji jyuusu in Japan because that is their actual word for orange juice.

Right I understand but that l > r is a very often used lazy way to show a caricature accent

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pokegon?

Porygon

Right I understand but that l > r is a very often used lazy way to show a caricature accent

That is true. I am surprised they did not just translate it to polygon instead of doing a literal transliteration. A bit of an odd call.

I have had a few people (like store clerks and stuff) say shit like "Oh so it was all like ching-chong-wing-wong over in japan huh?" When they here that I got back from Japan recently.

It's like. Dude none of those are even sounds in the Japanese language.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So the Witcher is gonna have a moba too huh

Every franchise you like is going to have a moba, Persona moba, Rune factory moba, TF2 moba, Metal gear moba

Peas on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    If i wanna play a fuckin R P G should i play xillia

Haven't gotten too far into Xillia but it seems okay. Biggest issue is that it repeats areas (either having you go through the same area more than once or creating a similar area with the same architecture).

Get Trails in the Sky if you want a PS1 RPG experience. Get Bravely Default if you want a successor to Final Fantasy V. Get Xenoblade Chronicles if you want the best RPG of the previous generation.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Farg

FAAAAAAAAARG

Listen do you like Tales games!!!!

If you like Tales games then Xilia's real good

If you don't then play something else!!!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Farg

FAAAAAAAAARG

Wyborn if you liked xillia, xillia 2 is really good

also I want someone to talk about it to

• Options
    Pokegon?

Porygon

That is true. I am surprised they did not just translate it to polygon instead of doing a literal transliteration. A bit of an odd call.

I have had a few people (like store clerks and stuff) say shit like "Oh so it was all like ching-chong-wing-wong over in japan huh?" When they here that I got back from Japan recently.

It's like. Dude none of those are even sounds in the Japanese language.

don't you know that all of asia is the same inquisitor

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I think I could make a good case for a Ryckert reaction button

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »
    Pokegon?

Porygon

I did not realize this when I posted it, for the record.

i didn't realize either until I was like "wait a minute..." like right after I posted it and read it to myself

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't understand how white people mix up spoken mandarin and japanese, they're as different as two languages can be

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Double Fine's Hack n' Slash will be leaving Early Access September 9th

They released the mod tools early in preparation

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I like Tales games for their characters but am awful at and don't enjoy their combat, which they only keep making more complex in ways I am even worse at. Symphonia was just basic enough for me to play and mash buttons and succeed, even against the big optional boss. In Xillia, while I'm not losing fights, it also doesn't feel remotely satisfying to play.

Big bummer because I always enjoy those games' charactrizations.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I don't understand how white people mix up spoken mandarin and japanese, they're as different as two languages can be

Can you reliably tell Danish and Swedish apart?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Farg

FAAAAAAAAARG

Wyborn if you liked xillia, xillia 2 is really good

also I want someone to talk about it to

Yeeeeeeah that's the thing innit; I'm discovering Tales as a series isn't really for me; I wanted to punt about half the cast pretty hard, and the pacing of the game doesn't gel with me for some reason

I gave the series enough chances I think

I can never mistake Mandarin or Cantonese for anything else, but

Sometimes I mistake spoken Spanish for French, or vice versa, depending on the accent the speaker has. Like if they have an American accent I will mess that up

It is my secret shame

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    danish and swedish are much more closely related than mandarin and japanese

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I like Tales games for their characters but am awful at and don't enjoy their combat, which they only keep making more complex in ways I am even worse at. Symphonia was just basic enough for me to play and mash buttons and succeed, even against the big optional boss. In Xillia, while I'm not losing fights, it also doesn't feel remotely satisfying to play.

Big bummer because I always enjoy those games' charactrizations.

It's easy!

You just have to memorize 8 attacks and which buttons they are assigned to and what elements they have and which enemies are vulnerable to each element and what moves combo into each other and what each characters assist ability is and which goes best with each combos!

Like riding a bike!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    On the subject of delayed realisations, I too went 'OH, PHOENIX DOWN' when the bomb crew had that conversation

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Speaking of Tales games Graces F is on sale now for $9.99: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/tales-of-graces-f/cid=UP0700-NPUB31133_00-TALESOFGRACESFDC

I already have Xillia and the Symphonia collection to play through so I think I'll pass this time. I've heard mixed things too, some people claiming that the gameplay is great but that the story is inexcusably godawful.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9Z-Tg6ufU

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

They really are but I can see how somebody who has zero familiarity with both languages would continue to be ignorant on the matter

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    danish and swedish are much more closely related than mandarin and japanese

Swedish and Icelandic?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    For real though I can understand why someone might not like Tales' combat

for me though, as someone who is bored to absolute tears by persona/final fantasy style combat, its basically the best

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9Z-Tg6ufU

that's some subtitle font

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't hear people speak mandarin or Japanese on a regular basis at all. I prefer not to make assumptions about people when they look or speak different though.

• Options
    The combat is easily the best part of Tales games for me; @SilverWind and I got real good at chaining together our Artes and doing sick combos and wiping out bosses and stun-locking them and all, though we never got quite as good as my brother and I did in Symphonia (partially down to the fact that I don't think there's a character in Xilia who kicks as much ass as Regal)

I forget where I was going with this

I've played a lot of Jurps this year, really good Jurps, and I don't think Xilia can stand next to them

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.