As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video games must be destroyed with a Giant Bomb.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Jars wrote: »
    the last giant bomb thread is almost upon us

secret anime thread?

Real talk I am hesitant to make a Jurp thread because I have this feeling that it will end up getting taken away for exactly this reason

I imagine Tube seeing the title of the thread, and the OP, and pinching the bridge of his nose while fumbling blindly for some aspirin

It's a subject that lends itself too easily to forbidden topics

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    So...Sly Collection is probably worth $10, yeah?

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if nintendo just puts japanese mother 3 on the eshop and wink wink you can patch it with an sd card if u want 2

ACCEPTABLE

No, seriously

If the 3DS had this kind of functionality officially supported I think the community would be happy with it

Thaaaaat would also never happen.

Well obviously

But the bar of acceptability for treatment of the Mother series is pretty low at this point

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    I think Itoi said he's done with Mother, and I respect that

I wish he'd make more games of any kind, though

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    That would be the raddest thing

The alternate universe where Nintendo would ever do such a thing is so far from our current reality that it is also the one where life on earth isnt based on carbon

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Last Giant Bomb Thread?

Now what the hell am I supposed to read when I'm working?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    GBEast Gets Personal With Computing and Commuting
    Can Alex and Vinny simultaneously build a new PC and deliver passengers safely to their destination in New York Bus Simulator? Probably not!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

secret anime thread?

Real talk I am hesitant to make a Jurp thread because I have this feeling that it will end up getting taken away for exactly this reason

I imagine Tube seeing the title of the thread, and the OP, and pinching the bridge of his nose while fumbling blindly for some aspirin

Real talk: as inhumanely awful as the "gamer" community is getting lately, no one has any right to shit on any other fandom.

Well, other than the furries.

Furries are still gross.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    It also falls under the blanket guideline of "never use anything fans made officially" that's all over the entertainment industry.

I think Nintendo actually has broken this particular rule before

If I remember, Other M was advertised using Theophany's "Alone in the Universe" which was part of a Metroid fan album

But then I might be remembering wrong

There's a big difference between using a fanslation to put out a game and licensing a song to play on a commercial (ignoring the post made while I was writing this that you corrected yourself and said it was the opposite).

The first issue is that the owner of a piece of music is generally much easier to pin down and secure rights from. With a fan translation, you'd need to make sure every person who touched it in any way were part of the contract and that the contract was airtight before moving forward with anything.

The second issue is that the fan translation quite frankly isn't up to Nintendo's quality. Even if they took the offer they would want to go through it to make it better and make sure there was nothing in it they objected to. Part of that process would involve referring to the original Japanese script, so at that point they'd probably rather just translate it themselves and fully own everything and not need to worry about dealing with a 3rd party.

The third issue is that even if they didn't do any due diligence and just slapped the translation into the game, they'd still need to go through all of the production steps needed to get the game out. At this point in time it'd likely be put out on WiiU's GBA VC so it'd need to get all of that stuff bolted on and tested. Based on their release schedule, converting a GBA game to VC is not something that they can just give to an intern and have him churn out over a week.

The fourth issue is precedence: once they do this once they'd be expected to do it again if any such offer appeared in the future. It's similar to the policy of never commenting on rumors because the second you do it creates the precedence that you'll respond to rumors as long as they're true/false (whichever was the case) and "no comment" becomes equivalent to the opposite. It's also similar to the policy of having an in-between person check all mail before it gets to anyone with any power so any game ideas are rejected and returned to sender.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Stop asking for a anime thread jars

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    what if nintendo just puts japanese mother 3 on the eshop and wink wink you can patch it with an sd card if u want 2

ACCEPTABLE

No, seriously

If the 3DS had this kind of functionality officially supported I think the community would be happy with it

ACCEPTABLE

No, seriously

nintendo does not understand the internet or technology

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    the car I'm learning in now has Solaire of Astora in the rear side window.

PRAISE THE SUN.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Can Alex and Vinny simultaneously build a new PC and deliver passengers safely to their destination in New York Bus Simulator? Probably not!

This sounds incredible

• Options
    "This thing looks like it came from Japan therefore I immediately hate it/am suspicious of it".

I really don't care anymore if it's a joke. It's gotten old.

Especially in light of this other shit.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

secret anime thread?

Real talk: as inhumanely awful as the "gamer" community is getting lately, no one has any right to shit on any other fandom.

Furries are still gross.

no

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I do not mean to suggest that Nintendo would accept the Mother 3 translation in any capacity or for any reason (though I take issue with the idea of it not being up to Nintendo's standards)

I'm just saying Nintendo's not completely allergic to fan works; it doesn't apply specifically to the Mother 3 conversation, though, so it was out of turn.

I apologize for the confusion caused by my thoughtless rambling.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    furries are passe

it's trans-racial and homestucks that are in now

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    what? Final bomb thread? Can you please elaborate?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options

secret anime thread?

Furries are still gross.

no

Okay fine.

The Sonic furries are a neverending source of amusement.

They're kind of okay.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

the answer is vehemently no on both counts

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

tube said it's taking a break and that's the whole story

• Options

after the next giant bomb thread, we are taking a hiatus

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular

Did you ever see Old Yeller? That's what Tube's doing to this thread after page 100

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    yeah furries are ok

no mercy for sonic fetishists though

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

secret anime thread?

Furries are still gross.

Well gee excuse me

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options

secret anime thread?

Furries are still gross.

What are you talking about

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Now to turn around my rant, I have just agreed to cover Akiba's Trip on the Vita.

I've sort of dreaded getting into that game, especially in light of the recent shit storm surrounding it. Also I make no excuses for any "strip simulator" or whatever the hell you call those type of games. I wash my hands completely of that.

And yet I'm still dreading it because: what if I end up liking it?

• Options
    akiba strip, huh

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Zay wrote: »

secret anime thread?

Furries are still gross.

Well gee excuse me

I'm really sort of just kidding about the whole furry thing.

Furries have done no harm by me, so I don't have a particularly strong opinion.

Let's just agree the gamer community now stands at the very top of awfulness.

• Options
    akiba strip, huh

If it wasn't for Patrick's podcast I would have never gotten that pun.

• Options
    you should probably refrain from calling furries gross even "ironically"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I literally don't understand what you are doing right now.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    you should probably refrain from calling furries gross even "ironically"

I retract the statement and apologize.

• Options
    6wpK3up.jpg

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    6wpK3up.jpg

yes yes this is what I wan

• Options
    Let's all just agree to only shame pips

The worst of communities

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Yo you got dota in my smash bros.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Let's all just agree to only shame pips

The worst of communities

rude dude over here

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Shrek top tier

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.