As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video games must be destroyed with a Giant Bomb.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Speaking of Tales games Graces F is on sale now for $9.99: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/tales-of-graces-f/cid=UP0700-NPUB31133_00-TALESOFGRACESFDC

I already have Xillia and the Symphonia collection to play through so I think I'll pass this time. I've heard mixed things too, some people claiming that the gameplay is great but that the story is inexcusably godawful.

it isn't that bad but it is extremely forgettable

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    danish and swedish are much more closely related than mandarin and japanese

Swedish and Icelandic?

you're still staying in the same language family

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The dentist office just texted me...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I don't understand how white people mix up spoken mandarin and japanese, they're as different as two languages can be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9Z-Tg6ufU

that's some subtitle font

MTV news was weird.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

Swedish and Icelandic?

Swedish and Icelandic are very different languages for being lumped together in the same northern germanic family

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The combat is easily the best part of Tales games for me; @SilverWind and I got real good at chaining together our Artes and doing sick combos and wiping out bosses and stun-locking them and all, though we never got quite as good as my brother and I did in Symphonia (partially down to the fact that I don't think there's a character in Xilia who kicks as much ass as Regal)

I forget where I was going with this

I've played a lot of Jurps this year, really good Jurps, and I don't think Xilia can stand next to them

My guess is this all comes down to how much you get out of the gameplay of the respective types of jrp

I think there are JRPGS with much better plots than tales

But I haven't played one with combat even in the same ballpark

Then you gotta compare that to how much your enjoying the story, and for me I haven't played a JRPG with a story I'd call good with no reservations outside of P4 in a very long time, and I didn't like actually PLAYING P4

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

hey sup

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Really thinking about it.

Watching a Hong Kong movie for example even that does sound pretty different to the spoken Japanese I've heard.

I'm not sure I could pick out why or how though.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Farg

FAAAAAAAAARG

Listen do you like Tales games!!!!

If you like Tales games then Xilia's real good

If you don't then play something else!!!

Wyborn if you liked xillia, xillia 2 is really good

also I want someone to talk about it to

Yeeeeeeah that's the thing innit; I'm discovering Tales as a series isn't really for me; I wanted to punt about half the cast pretty hard, and the pacing of the game doesn't gel with me for some reason

I gave the series enough chances I think
    I don't understand how white people mix up spoken mandarin and japanese, they're as different as two languages can be

I can never mistake Mandarin or Cantonese for anything else, but

Sometimes I mistake spoken Spanish for French, or vice versa, depending on the accent the speaker has. Like if they have an American accent I will mess that up

It is my secret shame

French, Spanish and Italian are extremely similar due to their common roots, no shame there

Also generally Japanese trends towards final syllable emphasis so i believe it's kojeeMAH

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

you up?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Oh god dentist office texting me is like a nightmare.

"Hey Buddy when you coming in so we can stick some drills in your mouth and shit"

xet8c.gif
  • Options

hey sup

Heh. I'm going for a cleaning next Friday.

That way I can start getting work done on my cavities.

• Options

Swedish and Icelandic?

Swedish and Icelandic are very different languages for being lumped together in the same northern germanic family

they are, but I'm talking on a much larger level of them both being indo-european

mandarin and icelandic are as far from each other as mandarin and japanese

like I barely know either language but just on a phonetic level they sound very different

compare jackie chan to seinfeld in the original japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjIZv9Y9idQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhV4whO0Xps

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    chincy you know what i like sell xillia to me

Pros: Milla is straight-up my favorite female character in a Tales game so far, Jude's a pretty good male lead and the butler-ninja is fantastic. Xillia also manages to have a childhood friend character who's actually a lot of fun. Xillia's battle system is also probably my favorite one, and the plot doesn't meander nearly as much as Vesperia's. Also, you can give everyone sunglasses in cutscenes, which is the best.

Cons: The little girl and requisite mascot character are basically the worst. The plot was also pretty disappointing, since it felt like the writers phoned it in. The whole thing feels like they were just running through a checklist of what people expect from Tales games, which is made worse by almost all of the twists being made blatantly obvious well before you get to their reveals. There are also quite a few instances of the protagonists just making spectacularly poor decisions for no apparent reason.

Basically, Milla and the combat system made it worthwhile enough for me, but on the whole I felt it was a mixed bag.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

hey sup

Heh. I'm going for a cleaning next Friday.

That way I can start getting work done on my cavities.

dang good stuff m8

hit me up for any teeth shit, peace

- the dentists

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    those fun facts brought to you by A Guy Who Scored High Enough On His ACT And ASVAB Language Sections To Get Recruited As An Intelligence Translator Despite Never Taking An Actual English Course In His Entire Life

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The combat is easily the best part of Tales games for me; @SilverWind and I got real good at chaining together our Artes and doing sick combos and wiping out bosses and stun-locking them and all, though we never got quite as good as my brother and I did in Symphonia (partially down to the fact that I don't think there's a character in Xilia who kicks as much ass as Regal)

I've played a lot of Jurps this year, really good Jurps, and I don't think Xilia can stand next to them

My guess is this all comes down to how much you get out of the gameplay of the respective types of jrp

Then you gotta compare that to how much your enjoying the story, and for me I haven't played a JRPG with a story I'd call good with no reservations outside of P4 in a very long time, and I didn't like actually PLAYING P4

Based on the fact that you rejected Xenoblade out of hand there may be a gulf here

But

Let me tell you about Mother 3!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    chincy you know what i like sell xillia to me

Pros: Milla is straight-up my favorite female character in a Tales game so far, Jude's a pretty good male lead and the butler-ninja is fantastic. Xillia also manages to have a childhood friend character who's actually a lot of fun. Xillia's battle system is also probably my favorite one, and the plot doesn't meander nearly as much as Vesperia's. Also, you can give everyone sunglasses in cutscenes, which is the best.

Cons: The little girl and requisite mascot character are basically the worst. The plot was also pretty disappointing, since it felt like the writers phoned it in. The whole thing feels like they were just running through a checklist of what people expect from Tales games, which is made worse by almost all of the twists being made blatantly obvious well before you get to their reveals. There are also quite a few instances of the protagonists just making spectacularly poor decisions for no apparent reason.

Basically, Milla and the combat system made it worthwhile enough for me, but on the whole I felt it was a mixed bag.

Man Teepo is rad, you cray

Also the mascot in Xillia 2 is a fat cat named Rollo

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    those fun facts brought to you by A Guy Who Scored High Enough On His ACT And ASVAB Language Sections To Get Recruited As An Intelligence Translator Despite Never Taking An Actual English Course In His Entire Life

oh yeah well what about a Guy Who Got A 2210 On The SAT And So Didn't Even Show Up For His ACT Appointment

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I could potentially tell you two languages apart if I had samples of both to listen to at the same time, but ask me to identify one on its own and it's a mystery. The root doesn't really matter. It takes the place of <language I don't know> in mental filing right alongside many, many others. All but one, in fact.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Teepo

Is

Awful

And is also responsible for most of the creepy breast jokes.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Jackie Chan's Mandarin accent sounds weird to my ear for some reason

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    What about someone who never took 9 th grade proficiency tests?

• Options

Based on the fact that you rejected Xenoblade out of hand there may be a gulf here

But

If they ever put out an english version I'd love to play mother 3

I hated Xenoblade, this has been well established

• Options
    even the most egregious sins can be forgiven

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Mother 3 heals wounds that time alone will not touch

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular

Can you reliably tell Danish and Swedish apart?

Oh good an excuse to share one of my favorite videos

http://youtu.be/s-mOy8VUEBk

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Teepo

Is

Awful

And is also responsible for most of the creepy breast jokes.

Those are bad

But I like Teepo, he's fun

In the new one he has some really good interactions with the tubby kitty

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    This comparison is much less about how different they are and more about the personal experiences of the viewer

To you it's glaringly obvious, as a person who has been exposed to a lot of those languages

To me, who has not? If I didn't know they were different languages I could mistake them for just different words being used, or a different accent.

And this is a guy who can recognize Korean from other eastern languages, and it's nothing to be ashamed about. Just haven't been exposed to enough media from that region of the world. Making sweeping embarrassing statements about cultural groups is something I've tried to outgrow.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

But

do what i did, import a japanese copy, download a ROM and the translation patch

if you own an original copy then you're in the clear legally as far as i understand, so long as you're not redistributing it

and the translation patch is a cinch to install

• Options
    Jackie Chan's Mandarin accent sounds weird to my ear for some reason

he's from hong kong so some cantonese pronunciation may be sneaking in

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    reminder that the earthbound fan community offered to relinquish all rights to the translation patch to nintendo if they would release Mother 3 on the virtual console, making the costs of releasing the game in english speaking territories effectively 0

and they refused

Speed Racer on
  • Options

But

do what i did, import a japanese copy, download a ROM and the translation patch

if you own an original copy then you're in the clear legally as far as i understand, so long as you're not redistributing it

and the translation patch is a cinch to install

There are very few games I want to play this badly

I didn't like Earthbound very much but due to curiosity over how much people like it I'd give mother 3 a shot

But I don't think I wanna play it that bad

• Options
    I am not active in the community any more

But for a long time, the Mother fan community was the least toxic group of gamers I've ever known

Those games are so good, too

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    I am not active in the community any more

But for a long time, the Mother fan community was the least toxic group of gamers I've ever known

Those games are so good, too

instead of death threats and identity theft they made extremely well put-together fanart books and created a professional-grade localization of Mother 3

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Pokegon?

Porygon

9) I was 26 before I realized Porygon was Polygon with a racist accent

Not a racist accent so much as a literal transliteration of ポリゴン which is the Japanese word for polygon.

Like, it's not being racist to ask for orenji jyuusu in Japan because that is their actual word for orange juice.

Right I understand but that l > r is a very often used lazy way to show a caricature accent

That is true. I am surprised they did not just translate it to polygon instead of doing a literal transliteration. A bit of an odd call.

I have had a few people (like store clerks and stuff) say shit like "Oh so it was all like ching-chong-wing-wong over in japan huh?" When they here that I got back from Japan recently.

It's like. Dude none of those are even sounds in the Japanese language.

None of the Pokémon names are a straight word that exists, it's all always sort of punny.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    (basically you can't trademark the word Polygon)

sig.gif
  • Options
    haunter's japanese name is ghost

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.