As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the Endless Legend Thread and it Always Has Been

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Just got my first contact win! Interesting way to win, it was fun being able to chase whatever tech I felt like and ignore going after techs in line with a specific affinity.

The AI in this game is odd though... I shot ahead on my win condition and built my beacon and got an army to defend it and... nothing. No one declared war on me, no one stopped being my ally, or canceled trade with me. Everyone just went about their business as my beacon counted down for a win.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Ya 3 and 4 had Map trading via diplomacy, no idea why that was pulled from further games.

I still remember being pissed when the AI tried to rip me off over their map. No, your map is not worth 250 gold and iron for 20 turns.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Just got my first contact win! Interesting way to win, it was fun being able to chase whatever tech I felt like and ignore going after techs in line with a specific affinity.

The AI in this game is odd though... I shot ahead on my win condition and built my beacon and got an army to defend it and... nothing. No one declared war on me, no one stopped being my ally, or canceled trade with me. Everyone just went about their business as my beacon counted down for a win.

Yeah I get the feeling that the AI really doesn't know how to play to win

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Yeah I get the feeling that the AI really doesn't know how to play to win

I wonder how much of that is intentional. Like, if the AI is intentionally set to "play nice" when the game first comes out, letting people get used to the new mechanics before ratcheting it back up to classic Civ murderbot mode

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I actually hated early Civ V because it felt too much like the AI knew they were all playing a game against a human. There was no point trying to be friendly because they would betray you as soon as you started winning.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    I like the current system. You want to know what the planet looks like, you gotta work for it.

That or you get the coastal perk and don't worry about it.

The resource scanner is far more valuable, IMO. Lets you get better city placements before you get the 3 (!) techs it takes to reveal those resources. Especially Titanium if you're going for Purity.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    I actually hated early Civ V because it felt too much like the AI knew they were all playing a game against a human. There was no point trying to be friendly because they would betray you as soon as you started winning.

In my last game, every civ besides the one that ended up winning DoW'd me at the same time once I started building the Mind Flower. I held them all off no problem, but it kept me from taking out the one that was about to finish the Contact victory.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

In my last game, every civ besides the one that ended up winning DoW'd me at the same time once I started building the Mind Flower. I held them all off no problem, but it kept me from taking out the one that was about to finish the Contact victory.

I'm wondering if it is a timing thing. In my last game, I built my beacon without interference before most of the AI had committed to an Affinity and had an army that eclipsed everyone else. If I had built the beacon before I had that military strength, or after everyone had committed to an Affinity, I wonder if I would have had to fight to win.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Similar boat, I built my beacon with minimal military but before the AI had committed to an Affinity (got really lucky with ruins early). And my affinity was like, 4/7/5 around that time anyway (all the exploring!).

Potentially it might be with the contact victory itself being not affinity aligned? If I am going for the Harmony win it makes sense for the Purity and Transcendence AIs to try to stop me. With contact, well, you can make the argument that no one or everyone should try and stop you.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    every time I win, I just crank up the difficulty a little more

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Is there a way to get additional trade routs in your city?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am playing as the Free Drones in SMAC

I unlocked planned economy and I was like FUCK YEAH LET'S PLAN THIS SHIZ RIGHT OUT

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Go Australia? Also I think there's some quest decision somewhere.

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular

Some of the quests you get for building certain buildings give you this option.

• Options
    monsterror wrote: »

Some of the quests you get for building certain buildings give you this option.

Alternatively, play as Spacestralia, and start with 4 available routes in your capital.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    How many stralias is polystralia?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    many

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Got a warning in endless legend yesterday that the big npc faction (who's attitude towards me has been mocking for most of the 200 turns so far) was close to an expansion victory having taken 12 of 24 territories

Did a quick count and excluding my own lands and the ones he already has there were only 15 territories left in the game so I'm just gonna quietly sweep my closest neighbor off the map

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    O30UWFy.png?1

The best stories, you guys.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the coked-up fairy tales is one of the game's strong suits. It's just not as in-your-face as the SMAC leaders were.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Trying a launch a coup to get a Domination victory on the easiest difficulty on a Duel map is more difficult than anticipated.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I just played the silliest game of Beyond Earth, winning on my hardest difficulty yet.

Started off as Space Russia, got engineering as my first tech, while exploring I found a solar collector satellite, the second engineering finished I launched it and grabbed computing instantly and began work on the spy agency. I had spies before the first enemy civilization even landed on the planet. Was going down the military tree and grabbed the virtue that gives +40% intrigue. I think you can guess how things went. I had most cities near full intrigue before they even had spies and I couped every capital in the game for an easy win a little after turn 100.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I sent out an expeditionary force of gunboats to clear away aliens on the coast that were destroying my trade units

Suddenly there seem to be a whole lot of kraken in the ocean. Do they spawn from some ocean nest?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Released.

You don't spawn a kraken, you release it.

TheStig on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I just played the silliest game of Beyond Earth, winning on my hardest difficulty yet.

Started off as Space Russia, got engineering as my first tech, while exploring I found a solar collector satellite, the second engineering finished I launched it and grabbed computing instantly and began work on the spy agency. I had spies before the first enemy civilization even landed on the planet. Was going down the military tree and grabbed the virtue that gives +40% intrigue. I think you can guess how things went. I had most cities near full intrigue before they even had spies and I couped every capital in the game for an easy win a little after turn 100.

I desperately want to try this, now

• Options
    I've had simultaneous start turned on for the past few games. It seemed weird that I got to start before everyone else.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I think it's pretty weird that you colonize a new planet without maps of the entire thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I've had simultaneous start turned on for the past few games. It seemed weird that I got to start before everyone else.
    I haven't done this yet, but I'm definitely going to start. I assumed the AI would get some insane benefits for settling late, but it really doesn't seem like it. The ones that show up after the first 15 turns are never any threat at all, from what I've seen.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Can miasma just spontaneously appear on a tile? Or perhaps xenomass can generate it?

This one nest kept coming back so I cleared the miasma on that tile as suggested. There was other miasma nearby, and the nest came back again, so I used the satellite to clear the whole area. It still came back later anyway.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Noggin wrote: »
    Can miasma just spontaneously appear on a tile? Or perhaps xenomass can generate it?

This one nest kept coming back so I cleared the miasma on that tile as suggested. There was other miasma nearby, and the nest came back again, so I used the satellite to clear the whole area. It still came back later anyway.
    I haven't seen miasma appear outside of someone creating it with a satellite, but I don't think there's any way to stop an alien nest from spawning on xenomass outside of building a well there or parking a unit there.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Maybe I should've just parked a soldier/marine there then.

Does it say officially that nests only spawn on xenomass with miasma, or is that a player assumption?

That made me think nests might spawn on any unclaimed xenomass regardless of miasma. Or that it's bugged, because I doubt the AI sent a worker or satellite just to mess with the bottom of my island.

edit - geth knows how to stomp nests

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    I've only seen nests spawn on xenomass, and I don't think it has anything to do with miasma. But aliens can spawn anywhere, not just from nests.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I've only seen nests spawn on xenomass, and I don't think it has anything to do with miasma. But aliens can spawn anywhere, not just from nests.

I've had to park a few dudes nearby xenomass+miasma tiles because nests kept spawning there. Problem was, I would try to clear the miasma to make sure the nests don't come back, and (at least with a miasma repulser) the miasma doesn't get cleared on that one tile. I haven't tried clearing with a worker, because I'm not some alien loving hippy.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What is xenomass?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Noggin wrote: »

It spawns on xenomass and spreads from there. I've had to send up multiple satellites to get rid of it.
    It's alien Kudzu.
    What is xenomass?

What alien nests spawn on.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    monsterror wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I've had to park a few dudes nearby xenomass+miasma tiles because nests kept spawning there. Problem was, I would try to clear the miasma to make sure the nests don't come back, and (at least with a miasma repulser) the miasma doesn't get cleared on that one tile. I haven't tried clearing with a worker, because I'm not some alien loving hippy.
    Don't park on the Xenomass, park next to it. Then when the nest spawns, free energy! And free research, if you're taking the correct (Might) virtues.
    What is xenomass?
    Big ol' pit of alien proteins. It's kind of edible when processed, but tastes sort of like soaked cardboard. Looks like a Zerg Spawning Pool from Starcraft - swimming hole filled with lime Jell-o. You can build Xenowhatever Extractors on them, which grant Xenostuff, which then is used to build KAIJU that stomp your enemies into gooey bits.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Or which can be sold at unreasonable prices to the weakling purity factions, as you prefer.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I am enjoying playing a belligerent purity game. As PAC, because she gets sweet shoulder pads.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I haven't forgotten what makes me human, because i'm stomping whoever looks at me wrong, and leaving their corpse to drown under the rising sea level.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Had this conversation with my roommate last night. The two major things I'd love them to add in are ocean bases and raising/lowering terrain.
    It makes naval warfare much more powerful and necessary.