As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the Endless Legend Thread and it Always Has Been

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    not to spam the thread

but, man, I sure would like an XCOM mod based on being on the receiving end of the supremacy victory

survive until the purity victory happens

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    not to spam the thread

but, man, I sure would like an XCOM mod based on being on the receiving end of the supremacy victory

survive until the purity victory happens

The contact "victory" should be able to trigger this.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So a friend of mine just finished a match on Vostok with Franco-Iberia, Transcendence victory, turn 291.

Supremacy:18
    Purity:15
    Harmony:13

culture:423
    energy:646
    science:847

health:91

edit: judging from the screenshot, he was in a position to do all victories. ffff
    HOW

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    theft, largely

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    An enemy city fell out of the sky, trapping my explorer next to a bunch of angry aliens.

broken image link
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I am enjoying playing a belligerent purity game. As PAC, because she gets sweet shoulder pads.

The Emperor Protects.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    theft, largely

Theft doesn't account for per-turn-numbers though

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    All these Miasma haters, the miasma is the light and the way! Come at my fields of miasma, my people have gotten high off that stuff for so long it gives them superpowers!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    So some beautiful and wonderful sexy person gifted me this game and now it's downloading and aaaahhhhhh goodbye forever

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    So some beautiful and wonderful sexy person gifted me this game and now it's downloading and aaaahhhhhh goodbye forever

See you on the other side of the Exodus gate

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    An enemy city fell out of the sky, trapping my explorer next to a bunch of angry aliens.

Should have gone purity.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Should have gone purity.

It was super early in the game.

broken image link
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    So, is anyone else finding this kind of a disappointment? It feels a little half-baked to me after playing a much more complete game in Civ 5 (at least since Gods & Kings).

I like a ton of things about Beyond Earth, and in its defense, I played nearly 30 hours of it before I started to get frustrated with its shortcomings. But I think I don't want to return to it until a big update releases.

Am I the only one?

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    It needs some more time in the oven, yeah.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »
    So, is anyone else finding this kind of a disappointment? It feels a little half-baked to me after playing a much more complete game in Civ 5 (at least since Gods & Kings).

I like a ton of things about Beyond Earth, and in its defense, I played nearly 30 hours of it before I started to get frustrated with its shortcomings. But I think I don't want to return to it until a big update releases.

Am I the only one?

It seems a pretty common opinion.

Tom Francis had the best one liner, though.

"So far Beyond Earth just feels like Firaxis lost the rights to the Earth IP."

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying it well enough but like the past two Civ games, it needs an expansion (or two).

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm still enjoying playing a civ game again.

And I enjoy a lot of the systems, like the starting options, orbital layer, universal upgrades, and tech web(minus the terrible UI).

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it well enough but like the past two Civ games, it needs an expansion (or two).

Yeah this is pretty much what I expected it to be and am not at all surprised. I think it has a lot of potential with expansions though, especially if you compare it to vanilla civ5.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    its a great excuse to play more civ, and will be pretty incredible once they start building on it

That said I do regret paying full price.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Yo, recruit defectors is a pretty effective way to build an army

• Options
    It also gets you different affinities units depending on who you steal from, pretty boss.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I think I like the base they've laid a lot; the tech web, the way they've handled fewer "Civs" but with more customization (through colony ship mods) is really interesting to me. Civ V is a game that has been incredibly improved by its two expansions and I would agree that Civ V + BNW + G&K is an overall superior experience right now. I still really like the Sci-Fi theme and trust this dev team to evolve the experience through new content in the right sort of ways.

signature.png

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It also gets you different affinities units depending on who you steal from, pretty boss.

And, if you nab a unit from a lower tier than you it will be automatically upgraded to your tier (in your affinity if yours is higher tier)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Am I the only one?

It feels very much like a major mod to Civ 5, or a stand-alone expansion.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    its a great excuse to play more civ, and will be pretty incredible once they start building on it

That said I do regret paying full price.
    25% off new releases through GMG. Never pay full price again.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I finished my faction quest so I guess I'm about to get a wonder victory as the drakken

Just for fun while the wonder builds I forced the 3 remaining factions into an alliance with me

We should be holding hands as friends when we enter this glorious Dragon Man driven future

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular

Am I the only one?

I'm trying not to hold it up unfairly to SMAC's standards but it's just so much less ambitious a departure from Civ V than the other one was from Civ II

Like, I was super excited for what they could do with the Orbital stuff but it's just permanent floating air units

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    I was out of town this weekend, but I'm back and game for games. :)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I managed to destroy one opponent's Mindflower, only to have the other open an Exodus Gate behind three layers of fortresses.

Well played, AI. Well played.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I feel like it doesn't really escalate the way Civ 5 does, it's like I'm still in mid game mode around the end of the game?

I agree with people who say that the leaders lack personality and I'm disappointed by the literal reuse of Civ 5 text in their communication.

I think nations could be improved maybe with the unique unit / building? I know that by saying that I come across as one of the guys that's just criticizing it for not being [favourite_civ_game_here] but it's also that there aren't enough different unit types in the game - not enough variety.

I think the end game needs MUCH more crazy off the wall sci fi shit BUT that should be tied more to affinities and victory conditions than nations, lest you go "Oh, its Hutama. I know exactly how he's going to behave" from turn 10.

• Options
    I don't know if crazy endgame things would add anything I am interested in.

• Options
    I think a lot of my complaints at this point could be fixed with patches. The other civs seem to lack ambition for victory and aliens are way too passive and not much of a factor in most of the game

• Options
    I think aliens are about right for the early game, but could be more aggressive or be used differently (accelerate Mindflower opening or something) for the mid and late game.

I need to play more games at higher difficulty to comment on the AI victory planning. I just got stomped in one game, but I need to try more games to see if that is the rule or an exception.

• Options
    AI difficulty seems really inconsistent, I think a lot of that has to do with the tech tree and the ai likely just picking random stuff

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    it would be sort of neat if the planet also evolved right along with the game

probably be a good expansion thing

but I wouldn't terribly mind it in a patch~

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    TheStig wrote: »
    AI difficulty seems really inconsistent, I think a lot of that has to do with the tech tree and the ai likely just picking random stuff

Considering how frequently I've found myself torn between several research options, trying to answer the question "what will help me the most right now", I imagine the AI can't possibly be doing a great job choosing its research path through the tech web.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Considering how frequently I've found myself torn between several research options, trying to answer the question "what will help me the most right now", I imagine the AI can't possibly be doing a great job choosing its research path through the tech web.

tech paths feel like something that could be tied to random personality rolls and available resources

of course, I'm not a AI programmer

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    And that's a second game lost to the AI. I kept an eye on the diplomacy tab this time and saw it coming, but could not push men through the gate fast enough. Must specialize earlier.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    I feel like it doesn't really escalate the way Civ 5 does, it's like I'm still in mid game mode around the end of the game?

I agree with people who say that the leaders lack personality and I'm disappointed by the literal reuse of Civ 5 text in their communication.

I think nations could be improved maybe with the unique unit / building? I know that by saying that I come across as one of the guys that's just criticizing it for not being [favourite_civ_game_here] but it's also that there aren't enough different unit types in the game - not enough variety.

I think the end game needs MUCH more crazy off the wall sci fi shit BUT that should be tied more to affinities and victory conditions than nations, lest you go "Oh, its Hutama. I know exactly how he's going to behave" from turn 10.

The unit variety is definitely noticeable in navies. There's no mixed fleets of subs, destroyers, battleships/cruisers, now you just have The Ship.

Also, all unit upgrades being tied to affinity rather than tech completely erased civ specialization. Like, you don't have one guy who teched ahead on bombers, or one on defense, or a guy who focused on tanks. If three guys have six affinity points, they all have basically the same stuff.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Seems like it's much easier to get to a possible win in this game compared to Civ 5.