Options

[The Legend of Zelda] This thread got turned into a pink bunny, find the new one.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Supposedly the EXP potion gives double experience, but doesn't stack with the EXP+ weapon mod (which gives something like 25% extra).

Hmm. Figured it would stack. I wonder which gets priority? I had exp+ on my weapon. Is that how slots and stars work too? No stacking?
    urahonky wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I'm streaming the new DLC at twitch.tv/urahonky if you guys are interested in watching Tingle beat a bunch of guys up.

It says you are offline.

Oh? That's strange. I've had people drop by already.

I went to the link and it said you were offline. Idk.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    God I can't do any of these fucking Twilight Maps. I'm getting my ass rocked if something looks at me wrong.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I booted the game up for the first time in forever and realized @SilverWind and I never got all the weapons from the base map, so we need to do that of course

But

I also took Young Link to the first level in the Master Quest map and that kid is horrifying

His Triforce slash is nuts, the range on all of his attacks in Fierce Deity mode is nuts, the kid is nuts, it's nuts

Why are the DLC characters so swole

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Young Link is awesome though!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Ooh, evil idea for MM Hero Mode; you permanently lose a heart container each time you go back in time.
    I bet someone could do this with a romhack.

This might be less hardcore, but maybe quarter hearts at a time, represented by a different color starting from the far end of the heart meter - they won't fill up past that line. And then there could be some rare mechanic in-game to recover it. Maybe you can only do it once, halfway through the game.

Yes punish people for using a mandatory game mechanic thats brilliant

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    God I can't do any of these fucking Twilight Maps. I'm getting my ass rocked if something looks at me wrong.

Some of those levels demand a character over 100. There are a small handful that will laugh at you if you're under 130.

Perfection or level up is the motto of Twilight.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Young Link's strong attack lets you convert SP gauge to magic gauge, but you can also use it while in focus spirit as Fierce Deity. You can convert even if the SP gauge doesn't fill up a bar, and the ocarina animation isn't that long. In rack up your KO count maps, you can easily stay in focus spirit the whole time if you wanted to.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Okay, I need to get a hard drive. I want the room to download this new update.

Any suggestions for an affordable one with external power?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

If I buy this will they eventually release the Star Fox comic?

I would wager yes since Starfox is likely out in september and this is gonna be huge with manga fans and Zelda fans

Good. I've pre-ordered this one. I never did see this entire thing since I missed a few Nintendo Powers.

Thank you keeping the thread posted on this, I probably would have missed it altogether.

I'd not bank too heavily on it; Viz has a license for Zelda, as they've translated/released a ton of manga, including a manga version of A Link to the Past that's a better adaptation of the game. This could very well tie into that license.
    Somewhere in my parents' house, some old hardcover version of that comic exists. Or it should, anyway. I don't remember where I got it, maybe directly from Nintendo Power somehow? Did they have like a yearly catalogue? I remember something like that existing.

I should try to find it.

It was from the Super Power Club catalog, and I'm pretty sure it (and Super Mario Adventures) was a paperback.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Ooh, evil idea for MM Hero Mode; you permanently lose a heart container each time you go back in time.

This might be less hardcore, but maybe quarter hearts at a time, represented by a different color starting from the far end of the heart meter - they won't fill up past that line. And then there could be some rare mechanic in-game to recover it. Maybe you can only do it once, halfway through the game.

You say that as if the game isn't already punishing people for using mandatory game mechanics, i.e. having to backtrack and travel across the world again after resetting time, having to deal with the bank and restocking on arrows and bombs, etc. It might not be seen as a punishment because it's "just gameplay," or just the way it was designed, but all games have a lot of minor punishments inherent in them.

I think it would be a cool idea as an optional master quest/hero mode. Gives the game some more urgency, like days counting down in Pikmin.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

You say that as if the game isn't already punishing people for using mandatory game mechanics, i.e. having to backtrack and travel across the world again after resetting time, having to deal with the bank and restocking on arrows and bombs, etc. It might not be seen as a punishment because it's "just gameplay," or just the way it was designed, but all games have a lot of minor punishments inherent in them.

I think it would be a cool idea as an optional master quest/hero mode. Gives the game some more urgency, like days counting down in Pikmin.

There's a difference between temporary and permanent setbacks.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I meant it as a suggestion for the sub-set of Zelda players who like to play through the games intentionally avoiding every heart container, and complain that every game 'isn't a challenge'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    There's a difference between temporary and permanent setbacks.

Exactly, like the Pikmin example I mentioned. A long term time limit on the game.

Do you really think MM is so difficult, health wise? I'm not really super attached to this idea, I'm just kind of shocked that it's apparently a major faux pas for even suggesting it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Of course that Proxi fairy is speaking for Young Link. Should have been Tatl.

• Options
    So if I want to level guys in Hyrule Warriors with any degree of quickness I need to work my way to the lower left corner of Master Quest? Is that what I heard?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So if I want to level guys in Hyrule Warriors with any degree of quickness I need to work my way to the lower left corner of Master Quest? Is that what I heard?

Yep, it's by far the best place to do it, plus you'll be getting tons of rare materials.

I've got more Manhandla saplings than I know that to do with.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The other mps of that type are also good. The first rewards map is okay as well.

I'd pick somewhat based on what drops you need. Because I need like 30 imprisoned scales :(

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The other mps of that type are also good. The first rewards map is okay as well.

I'd pick somewhat based on what drops you need. Because I need like 30 imprisoned scales :(

Yeah, although some of the other ones are character-specific, whereas you can use everyone on the bottom left square.

I also need loads more of those..same goes for Link's scarf.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Somewhere on the rightmost edge of the map, towards the northeast, is a level 11 rack up KO count that spawn Argoraks. Good for some variety, and those flying bosses seem easier to handle than Manhandlas.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    Somewhere on the rightmost edge of the map, towards the northeast, is a level 11 rack up KO count that spawn Argoraks. Good for some variety, and those flying bosses seem easier to handle than Manhandlas.

I've become an expert Manhandla exterminator. Taking down both at the same time is no longer a rarity on the bottom left mission.

Argorok is pretty simple too. But the Imprisoned is still a bitch. He is easy to deal with, but for some reason takes forever.

• Options
    Are you saying

you know how to manhandle them

• Options
    I'm noticing a longer loading time ever since downloading the Majora's Mask dlc as well. It used to load before the 8-bit octorok hits 8-bit Link but no longer. I'm using the retail disc version of the game.

• Options
    I'm noticing a longer loading time ever since downloading the Majora's Mask dlc as well. It used to load before the 8-bit octorok hits 8-bit Link but no longer. I'm using the retail disc version of the game.

Same here with the digital download.

• Options
    Are you saying

you know how to manhandle them

Like a Gronk earthquake spike.

The load time is longer. Much longer. I use the disc as well. Figured it was just on the Termina map, but nope, its on all levels.

• Options
    Do we have any idea what the Boss Pack is supposed to be about?

Any chance it's just "go fight endless numbers of this boss, be they giant or just a character"????

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It doesnt give urgency it takes away your accomplishments in a gane about your accomplishments. you lose consumables when you travel back but the game makes sure you can top off in seconds or save them . Same with backtracking you can warp to key locations instantly . You dont lose proof that you got a key item or heart peice though because those are proof you did something important.
    Even the quests that do reset like the ranch have built in shortcuts via masks to recieve their rewards( which are typically consumable)

In pikmin they eliminate the time limit after the first game because it wasnt fun it was restricting. They modified it in three so that as long as you understood how the game works there essentially is no limit.

Whats been suggested is by saving the game you the player are actively erasing a chunk of your progress.thats bad game design not tension

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Whats been suggested is by saving the game you the player are actively erasing a chunk of your progress.thats bad game design not tension

But it's a design feature that some people actually seem to like in games to make them harder. Like limited saves to get certain ranks in MGS games.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    If you were on the stock adventure map I like A-1 for Imprisoned farming. You fight four of them over the course of the map, and I normally get 2-3 scales per run (if it is 2 scales I typically have a pillar drop).

I can kill them in one WPS using a 5-star Sky Fairy with VS Beast and using her SA for more damage. Since she is slow you want to use her SA as soon as you break the toes, then start her C4.

The normal X kills in 10 minutes are pretty good for giant bosses. Killing the random officers means you're more likely to get material drops instead of weapons unlike the giant boss maps. I scored 17 Gohma's Lens and 28 acids (I just wanted acid for YL) in just a few hours. You can also get drops for various commanders while you are at it if you can kill them fast enough.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Some people also advocate the "Divisive Plan" missions on the Twilight Princess map. You get fewer levels per map, but (supposedly) more levels per hour, if you know what you're doing.

• Options

But it's a design feature that some people actually seem to like in games to make them harder. Like limited saves to get certain ranks in MGS games.

Or see all manner of similar heart-related punishments in Binding of Isaac which has been massively popular.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    If any of you were on the fence about ordering that Zelda LttP comic collection, its currently even cheaper than before. It's currently 12.85

• Options
    what the fuck

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/
    “The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment. A Nintendo spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Won't be too hard to find an actor for Link, since his only lines in the show will be "HA-AH!" and "YAH!"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    what the fuck

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/
    “The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment. A Nintendo spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

That's cool, though I'd rather have it be animated since there's only so much you can do in live action.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Won't be too hard to find an actor for Link, since his only lines in the show will be "HA-AH!" and "YAH!"

Link being mute would be the only thing that would make me want to see this show.

I just can't see this being anything but mediocre and forgettable at best and an utter catastrophe at worst.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Hopefully that article prompts an official announcement in the near future with some details. What an out-of-left-field concept!

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    SPN-OMGopenmouthed.gif~c100

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Link being mute would be the only thing that would make me want to see this show.

I just can't see this being anything but mediocre and forgettable at best and an utter catastrophe at worst.

Netflix has a pretty good track record. Orange is the New Black, House of Cards and BoJack Horseman were pretty good. Plus they had the good sense to pick up The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt from NBC. They're known for giving their creators wide freedom, so this could be one of the best possible places for a Zelda show to thrive.

Then again Hemlock Grove sucked, so who knows.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If Hyrule Warriors is anything to go by, Nintendo is starting to ease up on the use of their IP as long as it's done well. The art design of the games would be gorgeous to see in a live action setting if the budget is decent, and they have a host of games to draw items, characters, events, and story arcs from.

The idea of a Game of Throne approach, where it's epic and you follow multiple characters and converging plot lines could work as well - show Hyrule and the humans, Kokiri Forest and the elves, and Ganondorf's rise in Gerudo. If they have a decent FX budget or makeup, could even venture into some Goron or Zora territory.

Edit: SHIT, how could I forget about Groose? Just make Groose the star.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    As both a very invested GOT/ASOIAF and Zelda fan

what

like these two things arent even comparable

very interested to see how it pans out, but low expectations

J3qcnBP.png