As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age: Inquisition] - Jaws Of Hakkon DLC out now for PC, XONE - others in May

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    do we know how big this dlc is going to be? like expansion awakening wise or just plain ol' standard dlc stuff?

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    to be fair, Mass Effect is real good
    It is, but Dragon Age 1 was also real good. It didn't deserve to get shit on and turned into a fantasy Mass Effect. There wasn't a compelling need to change it, either; the success of games like Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity can speak to that.
    Yeah, but "success in terms of critical reaction and Kickstarter expectations" isn't what EA wants. EA wants Skyrim money — not Pillars of Eternity money.

Hardcore PC RPG people aren't enough to support a game at the level EA and Activision are playing at.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    do we know how big this dlc is going to be? like expansion awakening wise or just plain ol' standard dlc stuff?
    The real announcement is happening tomorrow, it seems. All we have is a twitter teaser image.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    It is, but Dragon Age 1 was also real good. It didn't deserve to get shit on and turned into a fantasy Mass Effect. There wasn't a compelling need to change it, either; the success of games like Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity can speak to that.
    Yeah, but "success in terms of critical reaction and Kickstarter expectations" isn't what EA wants. EA wants Skyrim money — not Pillars of Eternity money.

Hardcore PC RPG people aren't enough to support a game at the level EA and Activision are playing at.
    Also you have to think back to 2010 or whatever it was. DA:O sold well but not as well as Mass Effect and there were no other similar games to compare to back then. It makes perfect sense that they thought they could make more money by making DA a bit more MassEffectey

You'll note that the market has now shifted again and Inquisition has gone back the other direction a bit

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I still hold that from a pure gameplay perspective DA1 wasn't very good.

Not saying that DA2 was that much better but...eh at least it I found it a bit more fun.

That said, I also have problems with DAI's combat. It straddles this weird line between action and topdown strategy and I don't feel like either are being done as well as they could be.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I still hold that from a pure gameplay perspective DA1 wasn't very good.

Not saying that DA2 was that much better but...eh at least it I found it a bit more fun.

That said, I also have problems with DAI's combat. It straddles this weird line between action and topdown strategy and I don't feel like either are being done as well as they could be.

DA2 was the the only DA combat I actually enjoyed.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

According to http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=dragon+age (obviously does not include digital sales)...

DA1 2.53 X360 + 1.63 PS3 + 0.51 PC = 4.67m
    DA2 1.09 X360 + 0.79 PS3 + 0.62 PC = 2.41m

DA1 - Metacritic - (PC) 91/100 - (PS3) 87/100 - (X360) 86/100
    DA2 - Metacritic - (PC) 82/100 - (PS3) 82/100 - (X360) 79/100

Obviously not a perfect comparison, but looking at available sales figures it sold about half as well and got ~10% lower review scores. Either way you look at it, it was clearly a step in the wrong direction.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    DA2 combat wasn't really as different as people say, the concept for the cross class combos was a good idea anyway, but it just....didn't work. It was way too fast, the damn waves, the tactics menu was completely non-functional in comparison, the waves, the camera was perpetually stuck up your character's ass, oh yeah, and there was something with waves.

Of course, DAI was worse at 2/3 of those issues, but somehow that wasn't anywhere near as big an issue :rotate:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015

According to http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=dragon+age (obviously does not include digital sales)...

Obviously not a perfect comparison, but looking at available sales figures it sold about half as well and got ~10% lower review scores. Either way you look at it, it was clearly a step in the wrong direction.
    oh for sure, they fucked up, but they didn't realize they fucked up before they did (if that makes sense)

Either way, i love me some DA2, f the haters

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Actually...playing through DA:I. I kind of wish they didn't completely abandon waves and just found a way to re-implement them.

DA:I a lot of the times the enemies are just sitting there...waiting to be slaughtered by your party.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Yet neither of those games sold as well as Mass Effect, so you kind of maybe see where EA and Bioware got the idea that RPG fans had perhaps moved towards more action, character focused, dramas over large, sprawling, tactical epics. It was an incorrect assumption, but an understandable one if you look at the data.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Oh, it definitely didn't do as well. The rushed nature, slightly worse reviews, and the chronological proximity to previous DA releases probably all played a part.

But I don't think it's safe to say that a proper release in DA2's style wouldn't do well. If they had more time and budget on DA2, I am willing to bet the biggest issues would have been reduced if not completely solved.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    But I don't think it's safe to say that a proper release in DA2's style wouldn't do well. If they had more time and budget on DA2, I am willing to bet the biggest issues would have been reduced if not completely solved.
    When they had the time and budget they made DA3, which walked back a lot of the problems introduced in DA2. It didn't go far enough, but it's certainly a step in the right direction and I'm sure we'll see DA4 follow in those footsteps.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Actually...playing through DA:I. I kind of wish they didn't completely abandon waves and just found a way to re-implement them.

DA:I a lot of the times the enemies are just sitting there...waiting to be slaughtered by your party.

There are definitely waves at points in Inquisition. I'm only twenty hours in, and they seem to be mostly in the on-rails main quest missions. That aim-the-catapult section is a notable one.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Honestly...I feel like people want to use DA3 to champion what they liked about DA1 or DA2 and that doesn't really work because DA3 is a weird mix of both DA1 and DA2 while doing a few things that neither of them have done.

All and all, and this is from the perspective of people who aren't Bioware or Baldur's Gate fans. DA3 is probably the first Dragon Age game that I have seen garner a lot of interest outside of either or those groups.

So...its kind of its own beast.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

There are definitely waves at points in Inquisition. I'm only twenty hours in, and they seem to be mostly in the on-rails main quest missions. That aim-the-catapult section is a notable one.

All fade rifts.
    Although sometimes the monster have a hard time aggro'ing anyone if the player controlled character is stealth.
    So theyre back to just chilling out

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Honestly...I feel like people want to use DA3 to champion what they liked about DA1 or DA2 and that doesn't really work because DA3 is a weird mix of both DA1 and DA2 while doing a few things that neither of them have done.

All and all, and this is from the perspective of people who aren't Bioware or Baldur's Gate fans. DA3 is probably the first Dragon Age game that I have seen garner a lot of interest outside of either or those groups.

So what your saying is that it's a sequel.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    No. I'm saying what I just said in that quote.

Edit: Like I would say DA1 and DA2 were both very focused dungeon crawler-y experiences.

DA3 was more open...which is why I think there were a lot of problems with the cinematic presentation.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    When they had the time and budget they made DA3, which walked back a lot of the problems introduced in DA2. It didn't go far enough, but it's certainly a step in the right direction and I'm sure we'll see DA4 follow in those footsteps.
    what? no
    they made DA3 after seeing the response to 2. If they had time and budget 2 would have been 2 but with more environments

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

WHAT WAIT NO NO AHH I AM NOT PREPARED

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    "Fuck hype building, we release tomorrow!"

• Options
    Did Bioware just pull a Beyonce?

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    That would be pretty fucking awesome but I'm pretty sure it's just the trailer.

• Options
    If you want it to be even more official

• Options

What about Mass Effect? There are tons and tons and tons of people who weren't interested in traditional BioWare who got invested in ME. KotOR as well, but obviously that has the benefit of the STAR WARS name.

I had largely zero interest in Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, but KotOR was a huge deal for me, and sold me on the BioWare house style.

• Options
    I don't know how what I said negates anything about ME's popularity.

• Options
    I don't know how what I said negates anything about ME's popularity.
    Ah, I think I misread your statement.

"All and all, and this is from the perspective of people who aren't Bioware or Baldur's Gate fans. DA3 is probably the first Dragon Age game that I have seen garner a lot of interest outside of either or those groups."

I think that confused me, specifically. I thought you were saying that it was the first BioWare game that garnered interest in those groups.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

This. DA:I suffers from MMO-style enemy placement and AI. Most enemies are in small groups that wander randomly and have a pretty small aggro radius.

It's like the designers were trying to recreate the worst aspects of WoW/TOR trash mob combat.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    No...I was saying its the first game that seems to have garnered interest in the Dragon Age series from that perspective.

If anything, I think a lot of people went into Origins after Mass Effect not knowing what to expect and many of them probably didn't care for it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I'm confused about what to do with this whole DLC thing. On one hand, I really like Dragon Age, and want to support more DA content. On the other hand, I think timed exclusivity is a SUPER shitty business decision whichever platform it is on, and I want to make a statement to EA that I don't support it.

My desires are in direct conflict. I want to signal that I want more DA content, but I also want to tell EA to knock off the exclusivity thing. I don't know what to do.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So this DLC is about an Avvar god trying to eat you?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm confused about what to do with this whole DLC thing. On one hand, I really like Dragon Age, and want to support more DA content. On the other hand, I think timed exclusivity is a SUPER shitty business decision whichever platform it is on, and I want to make a statement to EA that I don't support it.

My desires are in direct conflict. I want to signal that I want more DA content, but I also want to tell EA to knock off the exclusivity thing. I don't know what to do.

Honestly...I don't know how successful you would be.

This fight was more or less lost last gen when most people showed they don't care.

Hell, I am one of those people. >_> <_<

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Is it timed exclusivity or is it just Sony having different rules for DLC than Microsoft, resulting in X1 getting it faster?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Is it timed exclusivity or is it just Sony having different rules for DLC than Microsoft, resulting in X1 getting it faster?
    It's definitely a timed exclusivity deal with MS. They announced that before the game shipped.

I mean, not the PAID part of the timed exclusivity, but that's certainly implied.

ETA: 360 and PS3 are getting it later as well as PS4. Which is... not particularly surprising.

Bassguy on
  • Options

EA is a corporation, likes money, and in fact could be said to only even exist to make money. MS paid EA money for exclusive console rights. You not buying it makes no difference.

If you have a PC or a XBone and you want it just get it

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    going through my warrior playthrough

NOTICED SOMETHING I MISSED (late spoilers)
    Leliana: "i'm glad we recruited Blackwall, even if he's not quite what I expected."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvhCDsFkk0

seriously what the fuck leliana

turn in your badge and your murder knife

you're a loose cannon

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

Timed exclusive.

EA and MS have had this buddy buddy thing going on since this gen was announced.

• Options

EA is a corporation, likes money, and in fact could be said to only even exist to make money. MS paid EA money for exclusive console rights. You not buying it makes no difference.

If you have a PC or a XBone and you want it just get it
    I do have a (slightly older) gaming PC that will absolutely run DA:I, but I bought the game on the PS4, and I definitely don't want to buy the game again.

And while ONE PERSON not buying something doesn't rate to them, enough people not buying it would totally make a difference. It's like supporting a podcast or public radio with $20. Your $20 doesn't do jack squat, but the $20 of enough people can make a huge difference.

It also wouldn't be the first time I refused to buy something out of principle — not out of a practical threat of a boycott.

• Options
    That's kind of what I'm saying though.

Last gen...most people kind of just shrugged. And I doubt it will be that different this time around.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    No. I'm saying what I just said in that quote.

Edit: Like I would say DA1 and DA2 were both very focused dungeon crawler-y experiences.

DA3 was more open...which is why I think there were a lot of problems with the cinematic presentation.

Exactly, It's the FO3 of the series. Lots of people argue about whether 1 or 2 are better, but 3 is a completely different genre altogether

(and obsidian should really be hired to do a sequel)

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.